Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

The new mondeos look much better without the chrome front grill I think, seen a photo of one the other day with the grill in black and it looked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

D Trent wrote: »
    Face lifted Avensis would rival it.

Not a fan of new Mondeo

I really don't like those facelift avensis myself. The DRL'S make them look a bit odd. The Mondeo has been the same shape for to long now without much significant change.. They just look outdated at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Just looking at the pictures of the "new" Volvo, I wonder what mileage is on these second hand cars, seems to me to be very silly buying a car which probably has quite high mileage on it already, not very cost effective I would of thought but then again this is Ireland....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Just looking at the pictures of the "new" Volvo, I wonder what mileage is on these second hand cars, seems to me to be very silly buying a car which probably has quite high mileage on it already, not very cost effective I would of thought but then again this is Ireland....

It is a difficult one to understand. Presumably the English forces don't want them any more as they are no longer suitable for the role for which they were bought. So why do AGS then take them?

It's probably good to get a car already marked and with blues and sirens, but buying second hand seems wrong to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

It is a difficult one to understand. Presumably the English forces don't want them any more as they are no longer suitable for the role for which they were bought. So why do AGS then take them?

It's probably good to get a car already marked and with blues and sirens, but buying second hand seems wrong to me.

It had under 100,000 miles on it, it's police spec car so it's not normal car that goes off the road 180,000 or 300,000 like the xc70

It was needed not best thing buying second hand cars but if helps the members on the ground all for it

Looks like BMW will get the RSU tender with x5 is the rumour

• Advertisement

POGAN wrote: »
    It had under 100,000 miles on it, it's police spec car so it's not normal car that goes off the road 180,000 or 300,000 like the xc70

It was needed not best thing buying second hand cars but if helps the members on the ground all for it

Looks like BMW will get the RSU tender with x5 is the rumour

100,000 of the toughest miles a Volvo is ever likely to see.

Why do the English not want them? Is it because they get rid of their cars, even though they are fully functioning?

It just seems to me that an English force make the decision that a car is not fit for purpose. Uneconomical maybe, no longer up to the job, or even dangerous. Get rid of it and who buys it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

100,000 of the toughest miles a Volvo is ever likely to see.

Why do the English not want them? Is it because they get rid of their cars, even though they are fully functioning?

It just seems to me that an English force make the decision that a car is not fit for purpose. Uneconomical maybe, no longer up to the job, or even dangerous. Get rid of it and who buys it?

UK forces lease most of their vehicles for 2-4 years so in all likelihood, that V70 was coming off lease and going back to Volvo UK. AGS prob made a bid to Volvo to then buy it, with the equipment in place.

That's one of the reasons UK forces can have some nicer vehicles, they're paying a set monthly/quarterly fee to the manufacturer for all inclusive maintinence instead of paying for the vehicle fully up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

V70's to replace XC70's ? , seems like a comedown unless the XC70's were over spec for what they were used for (maybe bought after the snows of 09/10 in case they were needed ).

http://www.expolicecar.co.uk/
    Direct sales of refurbished ex-police cars
    These cars offer a fantastic value-for-money investment, giving you the opportunity to own a fully maintained car, with no hidden history and the reassurance that only trained police drivers have commanded the vehicle

http://www.expolicecar.co.uk/bikes.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Would it be a precedent worth following - get hold of a few big engined- well maintained low milage,relatively cheap 06-07 cars , and use em to get over a hump -
    Yes they'd have to be inspected properly but they be a better bet than fixing up a super high milage 1.6 diesel that's on it's last legs and needs thousands to get it back on the road-

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement

Store Street and Pearse Street only. Paid for by the Dublin Business Improvement District.

Let's see the A/C's going around on them first seeing as they probably approved them :rolleyes: Cutbacks there too :P http://mewanty.net/solowheel-electric-unicycle/

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

Wouldn't be too unnecessarily embarrassed by this, it's not an uncommon sight on the continent and stateside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Saw the new model Garda BMW X5 on the N7 last night. Great looking car.

New 151 Fiat Traffic corps van outside Pearse st (spare parts for the 131 Public order Fiat ??? :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

Capri wrote: »
    New 151 Fiat Traffic corps van outside Pearse st (spare parts for the 131 Public order Fiat ??? :P )

Cork got one too replace the renualt traffic 02 that was in awful way

It's for cones and Barriers but can be used for checkpoints

151D Dacia Duster 'HARBOUR POLICE 'at Loughlinstown lunchtime, maybe at HSE Ambulance base 'showing it off '!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Capri wrote: »
    151D Dacia Duster 'HARBOUR POLICE 'at Loughlinstown lunchtime, maybe at HSE Ambulance base 'showing it off '!

Eh ........wtf is there to show off?

Dacia is a cheap Renault is a cheap Nissan! That Duster is marketed in some markets as a 'Nissan Terrano ' ! ! ! Could have been worse, a Lada Niva :(

It's a vehicle to do a job - if it does the job safely and cheaply then grand -
    It wouldn't bother me if non pursuit Garda cars were Dacia dusters - and the money saved went to better traffic corp cars and area pursuit cars -
    Hell, I think more urban gardai should do routine patrols and calls on bicycles.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I am sure it has been talked about before but a search has revealed nothing.

There is an unmarked Volvo S60 that goes up and down the M50. Seems like its a bit out of the ordinary. Was the Volvo a seizure or part of a bigger purchase plan? I have never seen an S60 anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

I really don't think it should be talked about either, trying to stay under the radar?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Then it's doing a really bad job at staying under the radar with the blues on, uniformed members and the anpr on it!

It was at the scene of an accident on the M50 last night with the directional arrows on the side of the car but yeh it's REALLY staying under the radar!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Didn't they use that in traffic blues on rte years a few years back, hardly that much of a secret ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

I assumed it was trying to stay undercover due to the make of the car, you usually don't see one off cars in regular/traffic units?

Boaty wrote: »
    I assumed it was trying to stay undercover due to the make of the car, you usually don't see one off cars in regular/traffic units?

There is a difference between an undercover and an unmarked car.

The chances are you won't spot an undercover car unless you are very switched on.

It's a good idea to have loads of different unmarked traffic cars- sure if you just had unmarked mondeo everyone would just behave when overtaking a mondeo -
    I've seen unmarked subarus - BMW - insignia - Hyundai and of course the mondeo - no bad thing to move them round -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Was a HSE Emergency Ambulance part of that convoy? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

flazio wrote: »
    Was a HSE Emergency Ambulance part of that convoy? Seriously?

First visit to Ireland by an Indian premier since 1982, and bear in mind India has its fair share of domestic conflict as well as being in a state of aggression with Pakistan, I reckon its a prudent precaution to make.

I'd rather have it and not need it rather than the other way around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I agree about the use of the ambulance, I just hope the HSE invoice the Dept Of Justice for it.

Advertisement