Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭timecurve12

I'm the very same, TC.

I think a part of me just doesn't want to try anything, be it for fear of failure or rejection.

I know what you mean, I have such high expectations and if I don't meet them, I tend to give up. One rejection or knock back and I get very discouraged, if they add up I tend to get depressed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Those unrealistic hurdles we set for ourselves are a big issue for me.. I've had to tone it right down.. I was looking at careers and stuff yet I couldn't self care enough to make sure I had a regular shower or clean clothes - I think i was kinda setting myself up for a fall so I would stay in my rut, unwilling to try again. Smaller goals if you can. Nothing is too small nor is it stupid..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Sometimes even the smallest and most attainable goals are just too daunting. Some people see it as being lazy but it really isn't the case at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

Thanks guys.
    My reason mind is saying "well it is their job to look out for you so what they recommend is what is best for you" & "what do you think was going to happen, you have used so much meds the past week you need help"

My emotion mind is saying " you have been let down before ,run for hills." & "I am terrified of becoming an inpatient again,as I see to be a hopeless case"&
    "you l would you won't be listened to,so why try and get heard" .
    I don't know if the last one is reason mind or emotional mind as it is reflecting past experiences.

I hate my brain. I think I left my wise mind in Tipperary.

*trigger warning*

I know I have only self medicated for past week but it's worse everyday. I can't function without at least my prescribed dose during day and extra meds at night can vary majorly. Ok , I have overdosed before but never this regularly . I may have done it once every few months but once it was done, the need passed.
    Now it seem s like I need more and more just to function during day. I am also concerned that from the months script(60 tablets 100mg each) I picked up on Wednesday,I only have 18 tablets left which may last a day/day and half what do I do for rest of month.
    I am meant to take 200 mg at night. 1

I have also taken 30 tablets in 15 hours last weekend ( recommended dose is 4-6 every 24hrs) & 30 more on Tues and Wednesday .
    These were otc meds I purchased.

Is that classed as an addiction.?

I'm also starting to feel quite ill when I take the tablets yet I cannot stop. If I don't take them I feel even worse. It's the sick feeling a nd headaches as well as slight ache in chest ....I'm. Hoping these are down to stress and not extra meds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

fg, I think these are questions that you need to direct at a medic... Have you found out from Pieta or citizens information whether you're entitled to a change of public psychiatrist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭timecurve12

*trigger warning*

I know I have only self medicated for past week but it's worse everyday. I can't function without at least my prescribed dose during day and extra meds at night can vary majorly. Ok , I have overdosed before but never this regularly . I may have done it once every few months but once it was done, the need passed.
    Now it seem s like I need more and more just to function during day. I am also concerned that from the months script(60 tablets 100mg each) I picked up on Wednesday,I only have 18 tablets left which may last a day/day and half what do I do for rest of month.

I'm also starting to feel quite ill when I take the tablets yet I cannot stop. If I don't take them I feel even worse. It's the sick feeling a nd headaches as well as slight ache in chest ....I'm. Hoping these are down to stress and not extra meds.

Can you go see your gp in the meantime, while you're waiting? They might be able to adjust your meds or prescribe something prn to help you cope, but self medicating is really dangerous, you don't know what will happen. It could have physical or mental consequences. Don't let it go too far (ie turn into an addiction), seek advice from a doctor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Freudiangirl, I really think you have to see a doc. Get some adjustment on your script until you can see someone more attuned to your needs.

In the last hour or so, for no reason at all, nothing has upset or triggered me, my mood has fallen off a cliff. Fcuk it anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Freudiangirl, I really think you have to see a doc. Get some adjustment on your script until you can see someone more attuned to your needs.

In the last hour or so, for no reason at all, nothing has upset or triggered me, my mood has fallen off a cliff. Fcuk it anyway..

Sorry to hear Grem, *hugs x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

*trigger warning*

I am meant to take 200 mg at night. 1

I have also taken 30 tablets in 15 hours last weekend ( recommended dose is 4-6 every 24hrs) & 30 more on Tues and Wednesday .
    These were otc meds I purchased.

Was it 30 seroquel tablets you took in 15 hours or a variety of different tablets . You really need to be careful with them, if not used correctly they are dangerous for your health. Please see your doc as soon as you can.

• Advertisement

Know the feeling grem. It can happen out of the blue sometimes which makes it all the more frustrating. Hopefully its a short term dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Anyone here who does not take medication? i'm only asking because i'm off it simply because i didnt feel much better on them.

I spent the weekend at home, which is becoming a bit of a habit. literally spending days at a time without going anywhere.. not good for the mind...

Hey Carzony, I've been on meds some years now and I'm happy with them, that said it was two years or more of dicking around with types and dosages to get my right 'fit' so to speak. That said medication isn't for everyone, for me meds and talk therapy as a combination seems to be having a pretty good effect.. It's very horses for courses really.. Glad I stuck it out initially trying the different types.

Thing is,

i'm having trouble leaving my house at the best of times due to anxiety, I have the car which helps me greatly but i literally can't far without havng panic attacks or having serious difficulties. Even walking around the block with my dogs is tricky atm..

I also try avoid giving people lifts because in heavy traffic i am now having panic attacks.Ging on far joirneys is also not an option. being honest i'm struggling with the outside world and not sure what to do.

I had 2 meeting last week which seemed to gt rid of my anxiety but it comes back pretty quickly.... fs

Problem is it doesnt seem to be passing and getting worse..

Ok so, perhaps the medication route is worth reexploring? Have you got a gp?. When anything is limiting your ability to do daily tasks you kinda have to look at the pros and cons of things.. Have you done any talk therapy either?. I think I'd just encourage you to give it another bash.. If you're worried you won't get your point across to your doc just do what I did and write it out in point form for them to read.. That helped me immensely.

i've just finished 9 sessions with a counsellor that is the limit with the particular service.

funny thing is i'm having these problems but don't seem to want to do anything about it.. maybe depression aswell then?

carzony wrote: »
    i've just finished 9 sessions with a counsellor that is the limit with the particular service.

funny thing is i'm having these problems but don't seem to want to do anything about it.. maybe depression aswell then?

Honestly, I don't know, didn't have the points for medicine but of course it's possible.. I'd still be of the opinion that writing down various things you notice and bringing that to a doctor would be the way to go.. Like I said if it's affecting your day to day life it needs to be addressed, same as a broken arm would. Least that's how I look at it to make me more at ease when looking for help..

mg1982 wrote: »
    Was it 30 seroquel tablets you took in 15 hours or a variety of different tablets . You really need to be careful with them, if not used correctly they are dangerous for your health. Please see your doc as soon as you can.

I took 30 otc mess in 1 day.
    The aroequl has ranged from 8-14,in one day....I only have 19 tablets left (I got 60 on wed )

I am waiting on call from team in St pats now. Dreading what they say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

FG well done on contacting your pysch team. The main thing is to be honest with them. You can do this.

Not speaking to anyone in particular but I think people really need to make more contact with their doctors. They should be your first point of contact. This thread is great but we are limited in how we can help each other in the long term. This is a great support network.

I took 30 otc mess in 1 day.
    The aroequl has ranged from 8-14,in one day....I only have 19 tablets left (I got 60 on wed )

I am waiting on call from team in St pats now. Dreading what they say

The liaison nurse rang me from Dublin. I am also her for help and she asks me what can she do for me ? I feel like I am doing their job for them
    Like should I be getting a blood test to check it everything is okay. .still not feeling the healthiest. She wonder what I was going to do for med when others run out.. I think that shouldn't be main priority right.
    The she made me feel that I was only saying these things to get back into hospital.

• Advertisement

Regs just rang me from Dr in St Patrick team . They asked me what could they do for me. I give up.
    They were more concerned about financing dbt than the too much med.
    Left a message with secretary there. ..I don't what todo

Should I request an app with gp
    Can't get gp til tomorrow

Should I request an app with gp
    Can't get gp til tomorrow

Yes! Your GP might also be able to talk to the St Pats team

Yes! Your GP might also be able to talk to the St Pats team

Thanks rang Nurse line and was told goto a&e .
    Am going out to a& e in southside where the nurses don't know me.

I feel rotten. Have not told anyone where I am going or what I did

Thanks for all your advice

Hope it goes well in a&e. Thinking of you.

Thanks for all your advice

Best of luck fg.

Best of luck, FG! We'll all be thinking of you and hoping for the best. x

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

First day done and dare I say it went great? :D

Freudian, hope hospital helps some way. It's hard when people ask what they can do for you when you feel you don't know, hopefully you'll find an answer..

• Advertisement

First day done and dare I say it went great? :D

Way to go, Alaska! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement