Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

papu wrote: »
    HIDCLASS.SYS ( HID means Human Interface Device) usually means some kind of driver error associated with a USB peripheral , get a new mouse , keyboard , external hdd , game controller recently?

you have to dig into the Dump or the kernel-dump file to find the offender

nope everything is the same since day one, less than two months old grand will start digging

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

When does it crash, just randomly?

When does it crash, just randomly?

was working fine, I shut it down wednesday, casme home friday and went steraight into bsod, bsod, attempt repair ****e that never fixes anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

A thought just occurred to me. Why do Americans use Celsius when talking about CPU/GPU temps etc?

HIDCLASS.SYS ( HID means Human Interface Device) usually means some kind of driver error associated with a USB peripheral , get a new mouse , keyboard , external hdd , game controller recently?

you have to dig into the Dump or the kernel-dump file to find the offender

unplugged everything, restarted, booted fine, kept going plugging bits in till it failed to boot, mouse was the problem, thanks for the help chief

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Gumbi wrote: »
    Well lads, my brother is in the states for a few months; I may take the opportunity to buy something over there via him. Any ideas? My general PC setup is fine and don't want to spend more than a hundred quid.

A few months ago this would have been a golden opportunity as the dollar was so much weaker vs the euro, but even now I'm sure there are decent deals to be had.

So there is a bit of mad panic happening in the US at the moment relating to PC enthusiasts.

I believe Microcentre(I think it was them) started to clearout their GTX970 stock. It started as a website sale, and they were gone in minutes.

A number of US stores however, operate price match offers. So what started to happen, was people printing out the Microcenter sale offer webpage, and bringing it to other stores. some places didn't honour it due to the usual , cant match sale prices, cant match web prices etc etc, however A LOT of places did

Reddit is FILLEd with people who picked up GTX970's for $140. It is the Evga model. What is even more impressive, is that EVGA are running and upgrade service, where you can upgrade from your 970 to 980, for a flat fee. So people have ended up with 980's from EVGA for about €220. Significant saving.

Might be worth having a look on reddit to see if that is maybe something you an take avail off.

As said above, Microcenter is a great store that regularly run massive savings and sales on items.

As digital said though, as a sort of base, Mechanical keyboards, gaming focused mice, and SSD's are probably the best deals you will make for sub €100.

Euro to dollar is so rubbish at the moment, so you won't be making a massive currency saving, but the bulk stores in the Us provide massive discounts on items anyway.

..Brian.. wrote: »
    A thought just occurred to me. Why do Americans use Celsius when talking about CPU/GPU temps etc?

Because that is how they measure temperatures in general.

We use degrees, they use celsius.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

TheDoc wrote: »
    Because that is how they measure temperatures in general.

We use degrees, they use celsius.

What? :confused: They use degree Fahrenheit in general and we use degree celsius in general

HowAreWe wrote: »
    I get "No bootable device is detected. System will enter the BIOS Setup Utility"... bad drive? I might try it in a different system

You can hotswap SSD's no problem.

Boot up your PC under its normal config and setup, and when you are on the desktop, plug in your new SSD.

You might need to install some drivers for it to be recognized.
    You might also need to format the drive upon receipt.

Make sure to check if your bios has any new drivers or firmware out. I had the same problem when I got my latest SSD and it ended up being my BIOS was out of date.

I'd probably ensure your bios is on the latest as a start point, and if you still get the problem, then look into hotplugging the SSD to see if it needs drivers itself.

Another point is to just make sure in your BIOS, your bootable drive is still set to the original.

If you are going to use this new SSD as your OS drive, disconnect all other drives expect your new one and try go through a clean OS install.

What? :confused: They use degree Fahrenheit in general and we use degree celsius in general

Scrap that, I've totally confused myself.

Some states use celsius though, always confuse which one is more "extreme" numerically. As in some American will say "holy **** it's hot, its like 50 degrees out" and I'm like " what?!?!?"

• Advertisement

You can hotswap SSD's no problem.

Boot up your PC under its normal config and setup, and when you are on the desktop, plug in your new SSD.

You might need to install some drivers for it to be recognized.
    You might also need to format the drive upon receipt.

Make sure to check if your bios has any new drivers or firmware out. I had the same problem when I got my latest SSD and it ended up being my BIOS was out of date.

I'd probably ensure your bios is on the latest as a start point, and if you still get the problem, then look into hotplugging the SSD to see if it needs drivers itself.

Another point is to just make sure in your BIOS, your bootable drive is still set to the original.

If you are going to use this new SSD as your OS drive, disconnect all other drives expect your new one and try go through a clean OS install.

hmm I'll try that, I also noticed it's only sata II compatible (Why did I buy this OCZ...) and I only have 2 Sata II ports on my Mobo so I need to get rid of a HDD. I definitely updated all my mobo drivers though, but Ill see if when I connect it after booting will help detect it/install drivers. It powers on and everything anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Scrap that, I've totally confused myself.

Some states use celsius though, always confuse which one is more "extreme" numerically. As in some American will say "holy **** it's hot, its like 50 degrees out" and I'm like " what?!?!?"

Celcius (Well, Kelvin really) is the Official SI Temperature Unit, so all research in done using celcius, worldwide. So Engineers are using Celcius in college and then when working for manufacturers, using Celcius again. Most enthusiast's would go with the manufacturers numbers instead of switching to Fahrenheit, especially when operating ranges etc are being used.

That's my logic on the matter, if it makes any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

snip

Wow that was some result for the people that got them.

hmm I'll try that, I also noticed it's only sata II compatible (Why did I buy this OCZ...) and I only have 2 Sata II ports on my Mobo so I need to get rid of a HDD. I definitely updated all my mobo drivers though, but Ill see if when I connect it after booting will help detect it/install drivers. It powers on and everything anyway.

If the SSD is OCZ, my advice would be go back to retailer and ask for a refund, credit note, or exchange for a different brand.

They are notoriously poor, and my own first hand experience is a Vertex Agility drive requiring four RMA's, and currently in my PC but totally unplugged, for the fear I have for it.

OCZ SSD's had some notorious **** with drivers also. What make of OCZ did you buy? Wouldn't be surprised if it was sitting in a warehouse for two years, and you need new drivers. There was a number of major firmware releases for OCZ types of SSD over the last two years to sort major issues with them.

game4it70 wrote: »
    Wow that was some result for the people that got them.

/r/buildapc, /r/pcmasterrace etc are all filled with people thanking others for the info. Serious bargain alright.

If the SSD is OCZ, my advice would be go back to retailer and ask for a refund, credit note, or exchange for a different brand.

They are notoriously poor, and my own first hand experience is a Vertex Agility drive requiring four RMA's, and currently in my PC but totally unplugged, for the fear I have for it.

OCZ SSD's had some notorious **** with drivers also. What make of OCZ did you buy? Wouldn't be surprised if it was sitting in a warehouse for two years, and you need new drivers. There was a number of major firmware releases for OCZ types of SSD over the last two years to sort major issues with them.

Trying to phase out my HDDs completely, so I spotted this and got it off ebay for 35 quid :P if it doesn't work I'm not too fussed. At work atm can't remember exactly what model but pretty sure its a vertex (black an silver) have my eye on those 500GB Samsung SSD on HWS, I might get one at the end of the month tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

/r/buildapc, /r/pcmasterrace etc are all filled with people thanking others for the info. Serious bargain alright.

What bargain did I miss out on now :(

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    What bargain did I miss out on now :(

GTX 980 for €220 nice going you slowcoach.

Everyone look at this loser misky on his balanced machine.

It was a US only, exploitation type deal :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

been seeing those cheap 970s and 980s all over reddit. Pains me I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

GTX 980 for €220 nice going you slowcoach.

Everyone look at this loser misky on his balanced machine.

It was a US only, exploitation type deal :pac:

Them bastards!

Will theY be honoured tho?

MOTHER****ERS

• Advertisement

Running my first VM on my PC, this is so damn cool!

Going to see how much of my library is Linux compatible for anyone wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Finally, I pried those stupid ****ing back and forward page buttons out of my mouse that constantly made me lose posts.

I'm freeeeeeeeeeee

I've a Sharkoon Drakonia and, apart from the configuration software doing nothing, the stupid name, the stupid look and those damnable buttons, it's a great mouse....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Anyone able to recommend a good/cheap team speak hosting?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

MRTULES wrote: »
    Anyone able to recommend a good/cheap team speak hosting?
    could do a free year of amazon ec2

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Hadn't even thought of it. Doesn't get any cheaper than free. Will have to look into it this evening. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads, I got a small issue here. Drives me Crazy.

Friend asked to put a fresh install of windows 7 on hos windows 8 laptop.... So here fun begins.

It does not let me to boot from usb or drive, it just goes to windows. Even if I change order. I read up and managed to disable secure boot UEFI ****, but it still skips both and just loads up windows.
    I want it to pop up that screen where it will let me choose where do I boot from. For the love of god it does not let me to do it. I am hammering F8 with no luck at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Why does he want 7 when 10 is just about to come out?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Why does he want 7 when 10 is just about to come out?

Its for his mother. She is not technic savy, she just needs windows 7 as she used to it. I wont argue whats better here, I just need it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,976 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Nice one

Just got the free trial there and running team speak server.

Was piss easy to setup

• Advertisement

Lads, I got a small issue here. Drives me Crazy.

Friend asked to put a fresh install of windows 7 on hos windows 8 laptop.... So here fun begins.

It does not let me to boot from usb or drive, it just goes to windows. Even if I change order. I read up and managed to disable secure boot UEFI ****, but it still skips both and just loads up windows.
    I want it to pop up that screen where it will let me choose where do I boot from. For the love of god it does not let me to do it. I am hammering F8 with no luck at all...

Unplug the HDD, a quick google tells me you can hotswap SATA power cables, so wait until you've booted into the USB before plugging in the HDD.

If this breaks **** I'm not responsible

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement