Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same Sex Marriage Referendum Mega Thread Part 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Unconfirmed reports that an army of gay people have invaded Co. Roscommon and are eating young children. What have we done!!?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

myshirt wrote: »
    I can see it this afternoon in an address to the crowd in Dublin Castle. Lead speaker holding up the card once the result is announced.

"Now listen carefully young gay couples...

This may look like a credit card, maybe it even looks like a debit card, but in fact this card is a special card, it is a card that will unlock the doors of opportunities for you no matter what your skills or abilities. Herewith going forward, anytime you don't get your own way simply show this card, we call it the "gay discrimination card"

Reflect on that.

I think it is shameful that those who wish to act in the best interests of children may now be afraid to do so for the risk of being called a homophobe. The yes campaign has been very intimidating to those on the no side who have held sincere views. We've got lost in some issues, which ultimately, if people communicated right, are not really the subject of disagreement amongst sensible thinking people. Equally, the no side has had some plonkers and very sinister minded people who have not helped. But this result is appalling. And no matter what may be said, an ultimate and fundamental issue is this issue of children, it is no herring, and now a platform has been enshrined in the constitution.

Listen very carefully:

NONSENSE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

Miraculous medals being found in ballot boxes in Roscommon according to Rte :pac:

I did laugh lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Miraculous medals being found in ballot boxes in Roscommon according to Rte :pac:

Seems effective, the results coming in could be described as miraculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Unconfirmed reports that an army of gay people have invaded Co. Roscommon and are eating young children. What have we done!!?? :D

I went to the shop and when I came back I was already adopted by a couple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

it's time to be gracious now, folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Adamantium wrote: »
    Looks this this has passed by an almost 2:1 vote. Amazingly the Presidential age referendum looks set to be defeated.

Yes to Equality except age equality.
    The amazing thing is the amount of Yes for Equality Gay Marriage voters who have voted No on the Age Equality Presidential referendum.

The ****ing hypocrisy. Yes to equality, except...

That will tell you the mindset.
    You are one poster whose rage at the yes campaign due to *some* elements of it (yet no rage from you at some elements of the no campaign) has really struck me. Possibly because you are articulate and seem intelligent.

What mindset? Do answer instead of just leaving the above as a drive-by post.

Not viewing someone as experienced enough (which they're not, at 21) for the role of a very senior public official is not being anti equality - it is viewing someone as not experienced enough for the role of a very senior public official. And you know this. It applies to every job ever - so you'd better start pretending to be annoyed by all those situations also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Irish government begin issuing compulsory purchase orders for the wombs of god-fearing women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Damn, I was about to go out and then discovered that RTE player can be watched live from the UK. Torn between the sofa and the outside world. Grr.

I applied to be CEO of my company and I didn't get an interview because I'm only 30. Will be lodging a complaint to the Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission on Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

rob316 wrote: »
    Another time man. Its a good day today every child born today in this country will be in a better country than yesterday.

Wasn't having a go or anything just was genuinely curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Alt J

Just switched on the rte player, any ideas when the result is ?

Good mad David norris lol all the Brits fault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

We did it, we did it, we did it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

God I love David Norris

Edit: I just realised out of context that looks I was declaring my unending love for him. I was just really enthused by what he was saying on RTE :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

myshirt wrote: »
    I think it is shameful that those who wish to act in the best interests of children may now be afraid to do so for the risk of being called a homophobe. The yes campaign has been very intimidating to those on the no side who have held sincere views. We've got lost in some issues, which ultimately, if people communicated right, are not really the subject of disagreement amongst sensible thinking people. Equally, the no side has had some plonkers and very sinister minded people who have not helped. But this result is appalling. And no matter what may be said, an ultimate and fundamental issue is this issue of children, it is no herring, and now a platform has been enshrined in the constitution.

If someone who is empowered to act in the best interests of children is afraid to do so because someone might call them a homophobe; they should never have been put in that position in the first place.

The sincerity with which someone holds their views has absolutely nothing to do with the value inherent in those views. I'm sure Hitler was pretty sincere in his hatred of the Jews... does that somehow validate it? (Not comparing the Iona Institute to Nazi Germany or anything, just making a point.)

The issue of children was never a part of this referendum; now matter how many times the 'No' campaign tried to make it so. Legislation on surrogacy is in the pipeline and I'm sure there'll be plenty of debate and discussion to be entered in to.

And by the way; the snide and discriminatory assumption underpinning many of the "think of the children" arguments was that somehow homosexuals aren't capable of raising healthy/happy children... that somehow because a man and a woman can make a baby that that somehow instils an inherent ability to be the ideal parents is simply not true. The evidence and the research just does not support that argument; not even a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Ireland is an inherently conservative country but also a country with an electorate capable of mature reflection when presented with the facts. The No campaign under the umbrella of a morally bankrupt catholic church resorted to scaremongering and skewing of the argument.

By contrast the Yes side led an engaging and articulate campaign underpinned by moving personal testimonies. The result was an overwhelming endorsement by the electorate for a move towards a more inclusive and equal country. Ireland will be a better place for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

I applied to be CEO of my company and I didn't get an interview because I'm only 30. Will be lodging a complaint to the Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission on Monday

I'm going to my local Jewish bakery next week to get a cake made up with red icing and a black swastika on top. We're all equal now so it should be no problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Alt J wrote: »
    Just switched on the rte player, any ideas when the result is ?

5pm ish, its taking a bit longer because of the high turnout

fiachr_a wrote: »
    I'm going to my local Jewish bakery next week to get a cake made up with red icing and a black swastika on top. We're all equal now so it should be no problem!

You can be simultaneously both in favour of equality and not in favour of a judicial ruling in NI, crazy I know...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Oh God, David Norris talking about the young people who'd taken their own lives over the years while the campaigning was ongoing, and how it's their day too. Has me in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I know I've made a few smart assed responses on this, but if anyone out there is genuinely concerned about the effects of this on children, please do some research on what various children's organisations and social studies have to say on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Jester252 wrote: »
    The Irish public have send a massive message of support for LBGT community, along with another message that rural Ireland isn't as backwards as people think.

Except Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Adamantium wrote: »
    Looks this this has passed by an almost 2:1 vote. Amazingly the Presidential age referendum looks set to be defeated.

Yes to Equality except age equality.
    The amazing thing is the amount of Yes for Equality Gay Marriage voters who have voted No on the Age Equality Presidential referendum.

The ****ing hypocrisy. Yes to equality, except...

That will tell you the mindset.
    Everybody will get the chance to be old enough to become president.
    Gay people never get the chance to be straight.
    So just stop.

David norris has me dying laughing :)
    I'm going to be the flowergirl and the no campaigner will be the registrar looool :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

God I love David Norris

If you're a minor he'd love you draw a line of consent with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Libertewhite

"Oh darling, I feel less married to you today than I did yesterday". That guy on RTE is hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Alt J

Not a great day too be from Roscommon or Leitrim :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Senator just proposed live on RTE.

An unexpected lovely moment.

Proud to be Irish today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

Except Roscommon.

There was no effort put into the campaign in Roscommon at all, no canvassers or anything. The place was even covered in vote no posters for weeks before there was a single vote yes poster.

Advertisement