Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want a simple program to get stronger?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

I just have a question about squats. My mobility is pretty dirt poor at the moment. I'm doing stretches to try to improve on these at the moment. Is it acceptable that I'm placing small weights under my heels so that I can get deeper until I have the mobility to go deep myself.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Kevcol wrote: »
    I just have a question about squats. My mobility is pretty dirt poor at the moment. I'm doing stretches to try to improve on these at the moment. Is it acceptable that I'm placing small weights under my heels so that I can get deeper until I have the mobility to go deep myself.
    Thanks

Possibly a personal thing but I wouldn't be inclined to use plates because I wouldn't feel stable on them.

But generally I'd be more inclined to try and fix the problem first if using small plates are your only option to work around your poor ankle mobility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Kevcol wrote: »
    Thanks

All good. But work to fix mobility issue ASAP.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hanley wrote: »
    All good. But work to fix mobility issue ASAP.

This, once you're not ignoring the problem.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

Thanks for the replies, appreciate it.

I'm doing 4 main stretches at the moment every day for 2 minutes each. Hoping that this will start making an impact soon. Am I fooling myself thinking that this is enough or does it sound about right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

Are you supposed to do A, B, C, D and E all in the same workout (23 sets)? Or is it 1 "letter" per day over 5 days of the week (so I only squat once a week)?

shakedown wrote: »
    Are you supposed to do A, B, C, D and E all in the same workout (23 sets)? Or is it 1 "letter" per day over 5 days of the week (so I only squat once a week)?

It's all the one workout. Pick a main lift, e.g. squat, and the B-E should complement the main lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

That's some volume!

Should still be able to get through it in an hour or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭burrenguy

Hanley, what do you think of doing alternating sets of exercises to cut down overall rest time? eg. Instead of exercise D for 4x12 with 3 mins rest between each set, then going onto exercise E, do a set of D - 1.5 mins rest - Set of E - repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

burrenguy wrote: »
    Hanley, what do you think of doing alternating sets of exercises to cut down overall rest time? eg. Instead of exercise D for 4x12 with 3 mins rest between each set, then going onto exercise E, do a set of D - 1.5 mins rest - Set of E - repeat.

You're supersetting 2 similar movements. Not a good idea IMO.

If you want to superset, don't follow this program. The volume is more than enough get the job done. You're over thinking it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Instead of doing D with a 3 minute rest between sets, do D with 1.5 minutes rest between sets. Then do E when you're done with D.

Edit: you wouldn't really be having 3-minute rests between sets for D and E anyway.

What these lads below me said.

Rest around a minute on D/E. It's supposed to be bodybuilder style pump work anyway.
    Brian? wrote: »
    You're supersetting 2 similar movements. Not a good idea IMO.

If you want to superset, don't follow this program. The volume is more than enough get the job done. You're over thinking it.
    Instead of doing D with a 3 minute rest between sets, do D with 1.5 minutes rest between sets. Then do E when you're done with D.

Edit: you wouldn't really be having 3-minute rests between sets for D and E anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

A) Main Lift
    B) Something hard like the main lift 5x8
    C) Something else hard like the main lift 5x8
    D) Something bodybuilder-y that hits the same muslces as the main lift 4x12
    E) Something else bodybuilder-y that hits the same muscles as the main lift 4x12

Hi,

How much rest should be done between each set?

Thanks!

K09 wrote: »
    Hi,

How much rest should be done between each set?

Thanks!

As much or as little as you need.

Hi,

Any advice on improving my program? Below is what I have done this past week. Is it ok to do deadlifts the day after squats? Legs/Back sore. Not sure what else to do with the deadlifts.

I am 5'11" and 79kg.

Thanks!!

337162.JPG

K09 wrote: »
    Hi,

Any advice on improving my program? Below is what I have done this past week. Is it ok to do deadlifts the day after squats? Legs/Back sore. Not sure what else to do with the deadlifts.

I am 5'11" and 79kg.

Thanks!!

337162.JPG

Bench/squat/bench/dead.

Though I don't know why you're benching 2x.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Vaidookas_

I am not personally fan of 1 rep max percentage calculations... Recently it was scientist research as well that you better off guessing the weight you can complete lets say 5 reps instead of calculating % of your 1 rep max. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

WorthIt wrote: »
    I am not personally fan of 1 rep max percentage calculations... Recently it was scientist research as well that you better off guessing the weight you can complete lets say 5 reps instead of calculating % of your 1 rep max. Just a thought.

Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Vaidookas_

Yeah

haha good one ;)

• Advertisement

Bench/squat/bench/dead.

Though I don't know why you're benching 2x.

Benching twice a week as it's pretty low and hoping to bring weight up quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 3 voodooman

Thanks for the program, one question (and apologize for adding more questions to what was supposed to be a hey here's a simple program to get stronger...)

I was always told that you need to increase the total work each week (or as close as possible) but in this case, take a squat @ 100kg for example:

Week 1: 70%: 70kg x 5 x 8 for a total of 2,800kg squatted
    Week 2: 75%: 75kg x 5 x 6 for a total of 2,250kg squatted

and so on - so the total work done is decreasing over time. Is that ok?

As I understand it, you can't keep increasing total work or you end up bolli*ed. So you deload fairly regularly when you increase load week on week.

If the frequency is staying the same and the intensity is going up, then it's only natural to have the volume go down.

Not too much but enough that you don't end up accumulating fatigue.

But I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,138 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The total volume would increase each cycle of training, though not each week. You can only tolerate linear progression type increases for so long!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

voodooman wrote: »
    I was always told that you need to increase the total work each week (or as close as possible) but in this case, take a squat @ 100kg for example:
    The simple answer is that the above is incorrect.

It's simple not feasible to maintain (let alone increase) total volume as you move towards 100% load.
    Nor are the volumes comparable. Triples, doubles, singles are never going to keep up with 8 reps at 70%.

If reps are staying the same then volume could increase via the load.
    If load is staying the same then volume could increase via the reps.
    But when load and reps are both changing, the volume can go anywhere. Thats fine.

voodooman wrote: »
    Thanks for the program, one question (and apologize for adding more questions to what was supposed to be a hey here's a simple program to get stronger...)

Week 1: 70%: 70kg x 5 x 8 for a total of 2,800kg squatted
    Week 2: 75%: 75kg x 5 x 6 for a total of 2,250kg squatted

and so on - so the total work done is decreasing over time. Is that ok?

Whoever told you that is wrong.

Over a longer term (years) total tonnage would need to increase, but during a training cycle it's normal to see a taper down in total volume as intensity increases.

Run that program again in 6 months time. Calculate total volume for the duration, then come back to me and tell me which one is higher.

Actually you don't need to bother - the one in 6 months is higher.

Week 6 of the second run thru will still be lower than week 1 of the second run thru, but they'll both be higher than their respective numbers on the first run thru.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Bumping an old thread to say that I have seen it linked several times on this forum and decided to give this a go this week. Today will be Day 3 and it is already kicking my ass. Feels good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Yeh I'm doing this program. Doing day #3 tomorrow, il report back after 12 weeks or so. Abroad quite a bit so sometimes have to mash 3 days back to back, but after 12 x 3 days il post up progression and feels

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Brought my Squat from 135-145 and Deadlift from 140-155 in 4 weeks on this a few months back. Went from 77kg to 74kg in the process, as I was cutting at the time so strength gains were more limited, but was still surprised at how much better following an actual program was, rather than just banging around a load of weights like I did for my first 18 months of lifting.

• Advertisement

A) Main Lift
    B) Something hard like the main lift 5x8
    C) Something else hard like the main lift 5x8
    D) Something bodybuilder-y that hits the same muslces as the main lift 4x12
    E) Something else bodybuilder-y that hits the same muscles as the main lift 4x12

Main lift progressions:
    70% 5x8+
    75% 5x6+
    80% 5x5+
    85% 5x4+
    90% 5x3+
    95% 5x2+

...then do it all again with 5kg more, and retest. You should be easily tripling (and more) the starting 1RM inside of the 10-12 weeks

B/C/D/E change to something else after the first 6 weeks too.

The last set on the main lift is "+" which is "as many reps as you can do, without failing".

Most of you won't do this for the next 12 weeks tho. Despite claiming you want to be stronger.

Ya know why? Because the grass is always greener, and the above is REALLY hard work.

But there ya go. It's there if you want it.

I have been doing this for 3 months now and this past few weeks I have struggled to increase my weights.

My squat is particularly poor - 100kg 1RM; and bench 90kg 1RM.

I am 80kg.

Any advice?
    Thanks!

Advertisement