Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RNS510 sat nav for VW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭cruiser202006

Xpro wrote: »
    You need an adaptor and a GPS antenna. The other plug is for Gps.
    You can put the gps antenna just behind the radio underneath the dash

GPs antenna is separate! Basically there's a twin antenna connection and gps one is beside them! I'll try get a picture later!

GPs antenna is separate! Basically there's a twin antenna connection and gps one is beside them! I'll try get a picture later!

Thus could possibly be same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

There is an adaptor available, looks like this :

Volkswagen-RNS510-RCD510-Radio-Antenna-Adapter.jpg

Do you have two cables from the original radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Sorry! Got to this before ye!!!

Can you let me know how you get on with yours, quality of the radio, what coding is needed etc, he said that he will be getting more in, so if he does then I will probably pick one up, depending on how you get on with yours, thanks cruiser,

There are two fm aerials in cars with factory fitted RNS, that's why there are two inputs, I had this on a gt golf. I have an adapter that brings two into one for a non OEM radio, but you need a different thing I think,

• Advertisement

bennyx_o wrote: »
    There is an adaptor available, looks like this :

[IMG][/img]http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v1/751349070_1/Volkswagen-RNS510-RCD510-Radio-Antenna-Adapter.jpg

Do you have two cables from the original radio?
    No I've only one! Standard radio in caddy beforehand!

Kagawa wrote: »
    There are two fm aerials in cars with factory fitted RNS, that's why there are two inputs, I had this on a gt golf. I have an adapter that brings two into one for a non OEM radio, but you need a different thing I think,

Will do. The lad is spot on. Sat with me for an hour explaining all about it, connected it up and made sure everything was working before he accepted money. No coding required but he changed the mode of headunit to premium mode and activated aux plug in glovebox with laptop. I may look into antenna further. It's grand around towns but out in the sticks I lose reception!

Will do. The lad is spot on. Sat with me for an hour explaining all about it, connected it up and made sure everything was working before he accepted money. No coding required but he changed the mode of headunit to premium mode and activated aux plug in glovebox with laptop. I may look into antenna further. It's grand around towns but out in the sticks I lose reception!

Yeah, there is one aerial in the rear window and one in the front, I think. When I fiited an aftermarket radio to the golf the reception was poor too, but I had to 2 connections but only one input on radio, you can buy fm aerials, then you could rig up the 2nd too, that would improve the signal. The RNS is programed to look for 2 signals and choose the best afaik and that's the problem for you. I must check if I have a double input too,

Pic of back of unit

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Is this the fella on Donedeal above in Dublin lads? Selling the RNS 510 and RCD 510?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I'm looking at getting one through a car forum member, it's an RNS-510 version C though, this is quite an old unit I think, probably not worth the 500 euro asking price, what do people think? I assume I should keep looking for a newer model

Version Cs are worth about €300-€350 now-a-days. Ive a version C here beside me, that im going to send off to carsystems.pl to get fixed (black screen), for €100. I think they swap out bad parts for new ones. I think the motherboard went on this one.
    It'll be up on donedeal for €300 once its fixed.

stuba wrote: »
    Is this the fella on Donedeal above in Dublin lads? Selling the RNS 510 and RCD 510?

I don't think so stuba, this guy is on adverts, I am thinking of buying one from him too, do you know something that I should be worried about?

I'm looking at this one on eBay,

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/151654016775?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true&autorefresh=true

what do people think? I think it looks good and legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

Lads, please be aware that a cheap RNS510 may seem like a bargain for a great piece of kit. Since last July, I've had 2 stolen from outside my house in a quiet area, and according to the guards these are amongst the most stolen units in Ireland. Even if you're confident that the source of a bargain unit is legit, that won't be much consolation if it's taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/151654016775?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true&autorefresh=true

He has this one too http://www.ebay.ie/itm/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151654014120#viTabs_0 with the exact same description. He has 100% feedback to be fair. Very tempting... Do I get a new iPhone or a Satnav??? Decisions, Decisions :confused::confused:

clancger wrote: »
    Lads, please be aware that a cheap RNS510 may seem like a bargain for a great piece of kit. Since last July, I've had 2 stolen from outside my house in a quiet area, and according to the guards these are amongst the most stolen units in Ireland. Even if you're confident that the source of a bargain unit is legit, that won't be much consolation if it's taken.

Good point. You must be sickened. Did your insurance help you at all? I presume if I got one I'd have to tell my Insurance company in case it was stolen.

Very sorry to hear that clancger, how do they get around the codes though? I want to make sure that the unit isn't stolen as I have things stolen from my car, and its horrible, the scumbags should be hung, drawn and quartered!!

stuba wrote: »

The lithuanian lad? I bought mine off him months back. It was manufactured in Feb 2014, so happy out with that. Sound fella, and its working no problem since I got it. Full of terrible 90s music though.

Edit; the guy with seller name "m".

Also a guy on adverts selling h version for 450.

On a factory fitted unit, as far as I know the codes are on a sticker on the side, so if it's robbed they will prob get them too.
    Even if it's stolen without codes from what I can tell (Google), if you have the correct programming tools, it's very easy to get around.

Mine were in a company car, and once it was confirmed that the car was locked etc, neither the insurance nor the leasing co were very much help other than sorting out like with like replacement. The 2nd time round, the guards did recover the unit, but didnt catch the guys concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DraganGTD

This is a very good info for those once that are buying RNS 510.

http://www.my-gti.com/3983/volkswagen-rns-510-hardware-and-software-firmware-versions

It explains all the upgrades and improvements to an RNS 510.

So far it's hard to get a good one under €600. (Mean version D and later)

Hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I had a RCD510 stolen last year, same crowd had robbed at least five that night. We were up staying in my wife's parents house.. quite estate etc..

The guy around the corner had his taken and then 2-3 weeks later they came back and robbed the replacement :mad:

I replaced it with a 310 to avoid the hassle again.

Yep, it seems to be a fairly organised crowd that are "collecting" them. Each time the came calling, they took several others from around the area.

Yep, it seems to be a fairly organised crowd that are "collecting" them. Each time the came calling, they took several others from around the area.

Paddy-spec enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

Thats what you need lads.

A little cover that goes over it

$T2eC16FHJH8E9qSEUceZBRd5hMG7Vw~~60_1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Xpro wrote: »
    Thats what you need lads.

A little cover that goes over it

$T2eC16FHJH8E9qSEUceZBRd5hMG7Vw~~60_1.JPG

I doubt any thieves would be fooled by that.

I just bought one from eBay, I'll be installing it tomorrow afternoon, I'm getting very worried it'll be nicked after this,

For factory fitted RNS510 I read that the sharkfin antenna is the tell-tale sign, so even if you try to disguise it, someone that's scouting will know where to look more closely.

Is that the one you bought after?

• Advertisement

I just bought one from eBay, I'll be installing it tomorrow afternoon, I'm getting very worried it'll be nicked after this,

Why? Where do you live?:pac:

[size=-2]Please dont tell us[/size]

Advertisement