Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact announced at IFA

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

devnull wrote: »
    No LED notifications at all?

What a fail.

Makes using the phone in silent mode now completely useless since you have to keep turning the screen on all the time.

That's not true. Are you sure it's not just disabled in settings?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

It's turned on for me, I get nothing unless silent mode is turned off.

It defeats the whole purpose of having an LED light if it doesn't work with silent mode on.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

devnull wrote: »
    It's turned on for me, I get nothing unless silent mode is turned off.

It defeats the whole purpose of having an LED light if it doesn't work with silent mode on.
    The same for me, it seems it is treating silent mode similar to the old blocking mode, so no notifications come through. I use Light Manager and on silent even the test LEDs do not show.

So, 24 hours on and I have to say it really makes my Z3C zip along. I thought it was always fast, but seems more so now.

My minor niggles to this point would be:

Bluetooth unlocking not working
    Extra swipe, then unlock
    Can't clear all open apps
    No silent mode using volume keys
    The full highlight of a line as you scroll through a list
    LED on silent

Glad it's not just me with the LED issue.

Have to question the thinking of the person who made that change and the thought process that went into it, the new way it is implemented defeats the main idea of having an LED notification light in the first place I'd have thought since the light was at it's most useful in silent mode.

Looks like we'll have to wait for 5.1 to get it back:
    http://www.androidauthority.com/led-light-notification-mode-android-5-1-lollipop-593619/

There is a workaround on other devices of setting vibration intensity to 0 and putting it on vibrate, but the z3 doesn't have an option for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

When you put it on silent, what exactly does 'no interruptions' mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

My phone (z3 compact) crashed twice today after updating last night. It hasnt crashed once in the previous 2 months, so not too happy with the update!
    delly wrote: »
    Update went through over the afternoon and having had a quick look, it is running fine. Only issue is the bluetooth smart unlocking. The SWR10 smartband doesn't work anymore, which is a major feature for me!!! Looking online there are half baked ways around it, but they are only bad workarounds. Additionally when unlocking now, you have to swipe up, then enter pin. An extra step for no reason?!

This extra swipe is really annoying me. And all the extra crap on the lock screen too. Its a lock screen, it should have absolutely no buttons on it imho. Just the time displayed and unlock. But now I can drag down the task bar, turn on/off wifi, bluetooth, auto rotate change brightness, select user (a feature I don't want and cant seem to disable) as well as the poxy ICE dialler and emergency dialler.
    You should really be able to customise your lock screen and disable whatever you want the same way you can do your home screens. I want the pattern lock, time and owner message. Nothing else!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

barneyrub wrote: »
    I've just noticed on the notifications in lock screen you can only have them fully there or not at all. If you pull down from the top in lock screen you only get your shortcut things, no notifications. Anyway around this? I don't wan't full notifications in lock screen and if you clear them from there they're gone from the pull down too

Anyway around this?

Just noticed the LED in silent mode now which is annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

While in work, I used to hold down power button and put the phone into silent /vibrate. Now there's only an option to shut down or restart. Pressing the volume button only give me silent, priority and sound options. The silent option doesn't vibrate so now I have to turn on phone to check for texts & calls. Anyone know how to turn on vibrate while silent? Nothing in settings. This Lollipop is a pain in the.....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

toby2111 wrote: »
    While in work, I used to hold down power button and put the phone into silent /vibrate. Now there's only an option to shut down or restart. Pressing the volume button only give me silent, priority and sound options. The silent option doesn't vibrate so now I have to turn on phone to check for texts & calls. Anyone know how to turn on vibrate while silent? Nothing in settings. This Lollipop is a pain in the.....
    Just hold the down volume and it goes to vibrate

• Advertisement

Cheers,think I need instructions with this update!!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

I guess these guys haven't heard of if it ain't broke,don't fix it. Spotify,netflix etc not accessible on lock screen which is incredibly irritating. Have found chrome very slow at times, never had problems before. Not a huge fan of the way chrome tabs are mixed up with the app tabs either. F-

LastLagoon wrote: »
    Not a huge fan of the way chrome tabs are mixed up with the app tabs either. F-

statto25 kindly posted this earlier - "You can change that by going into Chrome Settings and under Basic there is a merge tabs and apps option. Turn it off and only apps will appear. " Worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭flazio

LastLagoon wrote: »
    I guess these guys haven't heard of if it ain't broke,don't fix it. Spotify,netflix etc not accessible on lock screen which is incredibly irritating. Have found chrome very slow at times, never had problems before. Not a huge fan of the way chrome tabs are mixed up with the app tabs either. F-

If you allow the tabs to be shown on the lock screen you can control your media that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭brevity

So in an attempt to improve the browsing performance on the boards touch site (dolphin has started crashing and the site flashes) I've gone to Firefox, installed the ad blocker plugin (sorry boards but 5 ads on one page is overkill) and things are OK for now.

Anyone else having these problems?

I use SwiftKey in Textra but the swipe function doesn't work if I reply to a text from the lockscreen, have to type each letter or open Textra app for swipe to work. Any fix for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Pity, as I liked that. Now it takes a little longer but I just swipe the apps closed as opposed to pressing the x on each one.
    Another thing, there used to be a little plus sign at top left of pages which would bring up another tab straight away. Now, we have to press the 3 little dots at top right, then new tab. Why are they making us do extra steps? Just like the double unlock screen, it's pretty annoying.

Why would you waste battery like that by killing apps the whole time?

Cossax wrote: »
    Why would you waste battery like that by killing apps the whole time?

Would that not be better than letting them all run in the background?

I've just noticed all my new SMS messages now have the time underneath, which is a simple but handy addition.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

How do I get notifications in the lock screen to show? I have them turned on, but I have to unlock my phone to see if there's a message or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Would that not be better than letting them all run in the background?

No, it takes more battery to restart those apps next time you use them than it does it to keep them running in the background.

No, it takes more battery to restart those apps next time you use them than it does it to keep them running in the background.
    Ah OK. I thought I was saving battery! I'll leave them run so, thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

But that restart might be at time when battery life wasn't an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Another feature removed?

In Notifications Quick Settings, it used to be possible to long press on something like WiFi or Bluetooth and that would give an option to change settings for the selected toggle. That is no longer possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭statto25

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Another feature removed?

In Notifications Quick Settings, it used to be possible to long press on something like WiFi or Bluetooth and that would give an option to change settings for the selected toggle. That is no longer possible.

Press underneath the toggle button. So say you want to change the WiFi settings. Press the name of the network you are connected to and it will bring you into the WiFi setting menu. Same for Bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

Ok I now seem to have a charging problem, I plugged my phone in last night and it only charged it to 48% from around 8%. It was plugged into the charger that came with it. Tried with another charger and it's the same problem, anyone else experiencing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Oooh, this isn't good, has anyone else noticed if you get a phone call while your phone is locked, well you can answer it, but then to hang up, you need to unlock the phone first I think? Before the call would take priority over the lock screen and you could hang up and do other call tasks without having to unlock..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Any one had to RMA their device due to a spontaneously cracked screen?
    This happened to my wife on Friday. Its still possible to see things on the display, but the entire touchscreen is non-responsive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

MiCr0 wrote: »
    Any one had to RMA their device due to a spontaneously cracked screen?
    This happened to my wife on Friday. Its still possible to see things on the display, but the entire touchscreen is non-responsive.

My Z3 had a big crack on the back going from one side to the other and it wasn't caused by me i never dropped it or anything so i got onto Sony and they gave me an address in Dublin to send it back,i did that 3 weeks ago and last week they sent me a new phone as exchange.

• Advertisement

I use the Quick Pick app but since the Lollipop update whenever I try to move old video clips,it says "Attention-Please select External storage from the left sidebar and confirm at the bottom in next screen(if not in sidebar,click the top right menu to show the SD),then you can modify the files on the SD card."
    I dont have a left sidebar or a top right menu. So how can I move old clips to different folders or delete them?

Advertisement