Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pub trade is dying - Minimum price for Alcohol?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Jesus, if they're looking to push the price of a can to €2.20 and Wetherspoons are selling pints for €2.50; they should clear up.

I wonder what the government is going to do to tackle the Wetherspoons problem..

Home brewing is already popular in Ireland but if beer goes to €2.20 for a can of Dutch Gold then I predict it will explode. No way are people gonna pay that much for p1ss when they can brew far better beer at home for less than 50 cents a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I wonder what the government is going to do to tackle the Wetherspoons problem..
    Problem?

Nice agenda bud.
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Home brewing is already popular in Ireland but if beer goes to €2.20 for a can of Dutch Gold then I predict it will explode. No way are people gonna pay that much for p1ss when they can brew far better beer at home for less than 50 cents a pint.

Yep, me and my friends (5 of us) brew 50 litres of beer every 3 weeks - one stout and one ipa - decent drinkable beer, and better than some of the craft beers available (blind taste test approved, our beer did not finish bottom of 4 beers tasted).

Costs approx 89c per 500ml bottle for a 5% beer. And a days work every 3rd Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

Flex wrote: »
    Just on the binge drinking problem, I take issue [...]the HSE definition of a binge drinking session is actually just 3 cans of standard beer in a day for a man, less for women[...]

interesting, didn’t know that...absolutely ridiculous...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Absolutely fcuking embarrassing protectionist racket.
    Jesus, if they're looking to push the price of a can to €2.20 and Wetherspoons are selling pints for €2.50; they should clear up.

I know - assume - you're joking but I'm sure if they could find a way to make their goons go after JDW, they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Wurzelbert wrote: »

Myself and the missus already have brewing equipment and can put out 25-30 bottles of perfectly drinkable wine in 7 days at around 50 cents a bottle, will be using this a lot more from now on.

Still crossing my fingers for the EU verdict on the Scottish version of this though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

10.50 for a pint and a single gin and tonic:eek: It's no wonder the pubs are in trouble. I've no sympathy for them and we'll continue to drink at home instead of going to pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

Problem?

Nice agenda bud.

I was being sarcastic. I thought that was quite clear.

The government will find some way to make Wetherspoons a problem though. Won't somebody please think of the children, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A bottle of cheaper brand vodka will double in price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Wurzelbert wrote: »

Neither did I. Seems a major exaggeration to shame and guilt opposition into silence, in my opinion.

http://www.hse.ie/go/alcohol/
    What is a binge?

Binge drinking is a term used to describe an occasion when we drink too much. It is when we have 6 (or more) standard drinks.
    What is a standard drink?

A half pint of normal beer

Just reading about the measures here. I wouldn't be surprised if they adjust the minimum pricing per unit to be different for wine and spirits than it is for beer in order to ensure certain minimum price points, ie. at least €10 for a bottle of wine and at least €30 for a bottle of spirits. Then something similar fort the on trade, like a minimum of €4 for a pint in a licensed premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Indo has the minimum price at between 90c and €1.10 which would mean the minimum price for a can being between €1.80 and €2.20.

But as they always look to be sensationalist, I'd say the real price will come in lower than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

The price of minerals in some pubs are a joke in some places, I got a coke at the weekend and was charged 3.20 for it. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

deco nate wrote: »
    So... Is the price of drink going up in pubs also?

I confidently predict that the pubs will use the introduction of a minimum price on alcohol sales as an excuse to increase their own prices.

"Sure we have to put up the price, theres a new law in that increased alcohol prices".

They have no shame, and I hope pubs start going bust all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Not necessarily, when cigarettes were 88p I smoked 20 a day, they are now 10e, I smoke 20 a day...

Silly comparison.

You're addicted to nicotine.

I'd imagine those with an alcohol addiction will find a way to get booze no matter what the price.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Silly comparison.

I'd imagine those with an alcohol addiction will find a way to get booze no matter what the price.

Whoosh, did you miss the point completely or what?

That's exactly the point minimum pricing won't actually fix any problems just hit the average person who likes a drink more in the pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Which was his point, was it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Nice money spinner for the government, VAT and Duty are calcualted as a % so the higher the price the more more they make :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

Pubs disappearing would not ruin Ireland.. might actually improve the place. Home brewing is the future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

This is the work of the VFI, no doubt about it.

Racketeers, publicans again with a sense of entitlement to a living simply for opening the doors of their pubs.

Arseholes.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Whoosh, did you miss the point completely or what?

That's exactly the point minimum pricing won't actually fix any problems just hit the average person who likes a drink more in the pocket

Isn't the point of minimum pricing to target alcohol consumption nationwide ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Don't hear the VFI etc calling for a maximum price on soft drinks in pubs.

• Advertisement

Isn't the point of minimum pricing to target alcohol consumption nationwide ?

Yes and it won't affect a thing as people will just pay more which is what the VFI want

Yes and it won't affect a thing as people will just pay more which is what the VFI want

Will it not cut down on the amount people spend on alcohol?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Hate this nanny state nonsense. People want to alter their conscious, let the chips fall where they may and sell it on the open market which will naturally define a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

I can see it now, the day after the law is passed. Evening in Temple Bar, and the happy sound of tinkling glasses as respectably dressed people in designer brands sit around sipping wine and glasses of beer. At 1 a.m. they all clean up after themselves and go home. What joy it will be to be alive in this eden.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Silly comparison.

This. And that's why it's not going to be a deterrent...unless you're a teen and your parents stop your pocket money, and even then they would find way around that.

Will it not cut down on the amount people spend on alcohol?

Not a chance either more people will start home brewing and not buy it at all from pubs or supermarkets or they will just take the hit.

Your a bit naive aren't you? If the government were really interested in doing something they would introduce similar laws like in Australia where publicans can be held accountable under the law for actions of inebriated patrons once they leave the pub but there's not a chance of that happening as this whole thing was entirely pushed by the VFI

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Lazy lazy lazy policy making by weak ineffectual politicos who no more care about public health than a publican would lower his soft drink prices. Filthy cartel merchants. Well **** the lot if them. I for one vow to DECREASE the amount I visit bars/pubs/clubs...sure I'm averaging at about twice month now...fcuking vintners..greedy shortsighted clowns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

last time I was in the pub was for a few soccer dad socials before christmas, before that it was 18months, I just cant afford it, between a babysitter if I want to go out with the wife, a few drinks out (4 maybe 5 drinks each) and a taxi home (if we leave one car in town overnight which is risky) its e120.00. Rising prices will drive me further from the pub, am I happy to have to pay more for it at home NO. But the pubs are fooling themselves massively if they think this is going to win back custom. I'm guessing we'll be driving to the north to buy 6 months supply :)

Not a chance either more people will start home brewing and not buy it at all from pubs or supermarkets or they will just take the hit.

Your a bit naive aren't you? If the government were really interested in doing something they would introduce similar laws like in Australia where publicans can be held accountable under the law for actions of inebriated patrons once they leave the pub but there's not a chance of that happening as this whole thing was entirely pushed by the VFI

Not naive, but thanks.

I don't really agree with it tbh as I like my beers at home. The country has a massive alcohol problem though and it has to be tackled some way.

Whether this is the correct way remains to be seen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

The increase in pub prices is definitely having a large impact on binge drinking. I am guilty of it being on an average wage and still wanting to have a decent social life every so often- Buy a bottle of spirits or a cheap bottle of wine and drink as much as you can before you head into town. In your own home or a friends house you're more than likely to go over the line because you're in a more comfortable environment unlike if I am in a pub having a few drinks I am much more wary of having one too many.

Was over in Manchester recently for a weekend and was able to enjoy drinks in the pub for £2.50/£3 and I have to say it ended up being a much better, less messy night because of the fact you're drinking in a pub and are more conscious of your intake.

Advertisement