Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Ul Gary kirby coach

No programmes ,the teams from what i could see
    paul maher
    Troy kilkenny
    dave mccarthy clare
    James carrig limerick
    5?
    Gearoid ryan clare
    Aidan mcguahan 7 ul

John mcgrath ul 8
    9?
    10 donal dywer
    11 emmet nolan offaly
    12 Jack shelley
    13 ryan limerick
    14 stephan bennett
    15 shane donelly
    Fergal horgan tipp ref

Ger cunnigham cork ucc coach

Ucc
    1?
    Higgins
    Kieran histon
    Fionn o sullivan
    Higins
    Tadhg o bourke
    Hegarty
    Motherway
    Tom devine
    Mark mcgaughan
    Eoin fitzell (20)michael breen was injured didnt start
    Rickard cahalane
    Anthony spillane
    Dj foran
    Philip lucey kerry

H time 2-8 to 1-9 in favour ul
    Full time 4-14 ul to ucc 2-19

Fergal horgan tipp referee

Donelly hat trick and stephen bennett goals ul ,nolan and ryan got some great scores with bennett scoring a goal and 6 around
    John mcgrath two great points

Troy ,mcgauhan, and james carrig my man of the match was unreal ,mcgrath,donnelly and bennett and nolan having great games

Ucc had great games from tadhg o bourke superb and majestic at 6,with hegarthy having a fine game,
    And tom devine hurling loads of ball at midfield.those had a huge influence in ucc going from 7 down to 1 ahead in the second half.

Mcghaun worked hard with cahalane getting good points and fitzell having good moments at times.
    Lucey had a great game when he got ball but he didnt get enough of it.

Dj foran was there best forward,winning loads of clean aerial ball,scoring two great goals and laying of a lot of ball,and created a lot.

A classic high quality game played at a breathing taking pace and tempo a draw would have been a fair result but ul are a brillant team-and well coached like ucc were.They play carlow in the semifinal next week.coached by dempsey the Kilkenny selector.

Just briefly said post that
    That was freshers cup last year ul v ucc
    As I said then it was played huge pace and intensity and imo was good standard bearer for fitzgibbon cup next year.

Ger cunningham had ucc and I'd think on that game devine Bourke and foran will be huge contention start ucc in fitzgibbon and foran I'm huge fan of, reminds me niall mccarthy very raw starting out but huge potential good coaching and he gave exhibition of winning High aerial ball in that match he was brilliant, Ger cunningham would have noticed that and I think he will be huge part ucc this year fitzgibbon imo

Cunningham gone dublin but with ucc also top coach and like I said few weeks ago cork thread did bring.ed coughlan mayo coach last year football, cork man with him so ger surrounds himself top coaches and in séaniec.mcgrath not glen man and noel furlong ucc have top set up this year

Mcgrath I think has role in Dublin overseeing s and c programme etc and furlong could very well join dublin in future as ger rates him very highly as a promising young coach.

Point is I'd fancy ucc be very strong next year with devine and foran having huge parts to play possibly Bourke also.
    Imo the doubt is not if devine plays but where, half back or midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

I'm not biased at all at all

I was simply being realistic in castlematyr being talked down in some quarters

I had referenced I was unsure regards full extent intercounty representative

You will find I mentioned pat o Donovan and yes very good hurler
    As for tom devine didn't know he played club but I'm well aware him talent wise huge talent and I done report ucc v ul fresher game last year where said in another thread he has outstanding match and like dj foran also brilliant that day imo and should be fitzgibbon cup absolutely and lehane I think is finished ucc thus year

Totally unbiased I am, judging by cork junior record and lawtons etc I said it would be close game one castlematyr should expecting to win and this talk that mondligo are huge favourites as was originally put imo I disagree with

Ucc coached ger cunningham noel furlong carrigtwohill etc they don't do bias so you can almost guarantee devine will be on ucc team and correctly so

TTM,for what it's worth,in the 2013 junior championship modeligo were leading Ballysaggart by 3pts with 3 mins of injury time played before Stephen Bennett buried a very controversial free to bring it to a replay. Injuries curtailed modeligo for the replay and we all know where ballysaggart ended up having won the replay. This is a decent modeligo team,well trained by Pa Kearney from Ballyduff upper,and along with the Tom Devines and the Donovans they also have Pat Fitzgerald,a former county panelist who would have tasted senior club hurling within the county some years back. They would have been strong favourites for the county championship from along way back this year but I do take your point that up until last year our record in the Munster side of things has been abysmal. Castlemartyr have been knocking on the door in Cork for a while now and have finally made the breakthrough and certainly that experience should have a positive effect going into the final but in my opinion its too close to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

For what it's worth, I was there when Charleville won the Munster a few years ago and I thought they were a very good team. I don't think Modeligo would have beaten them but from what I've seen you say previously it doesn't sound like theyll have to be as good as that to win this game. They aren't as good as Ballysaggart last year either, but they are better than any Waterford representatives in those years prior you mention that Cork won the Junior so to some extent that's a moot point.

Interesting. What odds are Modeligo? Going to put a few quid on them for the AI.

Devine alone is a class hurler tbf. Wasn't aware of all the other lads they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Orizio wrote: »
    Interesting. What odds are Modeligo? Going to put a few quid on them for the AI.

Devine alone is a class hurler tbf. Wasn't aware of all the other lads they have.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Looking at Harty cup results the last few weeks, it hasn't been going well for the Waterford colleges.
    Blackwater beaten 3-3 to 2-15 by Thurles and DLS hammered 0-6 to 5-11 by Colmans yesterday.
    DLS bottom of their group and both Blackwater and Dungarvan second from bottom, all unlikely to make the knock out stages.

Should this be cause for concern or is it worth reading too much into? I just don't think it's any coincidence that our strong minor teams the last few years were backboned by really good Harty teams. I suppose these things happen in cycles and those teams had many outstanding players (Curran's, Bennett's et al) but who would be the standout players from this years Harty teams that will make up the county minor team for 2015?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

Anybody have any info on how the transfer market is looking this winter for waterford clubs? heard a few rumours circulating. And whats everybodys opinion on it? is it right to leave your "smaller clubs" in search of senior hurling?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Cake Man wrote: »
    Looking at Harty cup results the last few weeks, it hasn't been going well for the Waterford colleges.
    Blackwater beaten 3-3 to 2-15 by Thurles and DLS hammered 0-6 to 5-11 by Colmans yesterday.
    DLS bottom of their group and both Blackwater and Dungarvan second from bottom, all unlikely to make the knock out stages.

Should this be cause for concern or is it worth reading too much into? I just don't think it's any coincidence that our strong minor teams the last few years were backboned by really good Harty teams. I suppose these things happen in cycles and those teams had many outstanding players (Curran's, Bennett's et al) but who would be the standout players from this years Harty teams that will make up the county minor team for 2015?

I'd be particularly concerned by DLS' form. Going from winning the All Ireland two years in a row to bottom of the Munster group getting hammerings in 6-7 years is a dramatic change. While you might explain it in a smaller school, DLS should have a consistent supply of players.

Who is coaching the teams currently? Is it McGrath and Dooley still or have one or both moved on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭wreckless if true

How are the nire going in preperation for the munster final? I have heard they are flying by all accounts and who can blame them after two magnificent victories. Cratloe brought dr crokes into extra time last year in the munster semi final last year only to lose by a point or two, and the nire beat cratloe, so on this basis you could make an arguement that the nire might be slight favourites. thoughts on this anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

How are the nire going in preperation for the munster final? I have heard they are flying by all accounts and who can blame them after two magnificent victories. Cratloe brought dr crokes into extra time last year in the munster semi final last year only to lose by a point or two, and the nire beat cratloe, so on this basis you could make an arguement that the nire might be slight favourites. thoughts on this anyone?
    The Cratloe game was 4 days ago... They've had at most 1 training session which was probably a warm down. I'm sure they're "flying by all account :D

Anybody have any info on how the transfer market is looking this winter for waterford clubs? heard a few rumours circulating. And whats everybodys opinion on it? is it right to leave your "smaller clubs" in search of senior hurling?

Very controversial, Mount Sion are planning on bidding €15 million for Paudie Mahony. They'll have to come with a much increased bid though as Ballygunner say they won't sell for less than €85 million.

• Advertisement

Very controversial, Mount Sion are planning on bidding €15 million for Paudie Mahony. They'll have to come with a much increased bid though as Ballygunner say they won't sell for less than €85 million.
    Rumours on twitter that DLS are trying to hijack the deal, €70 million plus Jack Kennedy. Dunno if the gunners can refuse this

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Rumours on twitter that DLS are trying to hijack the deal, €70 million plus Jack Kennedy. Dunno if the gunners can refuse this

I hear WLR are bringing Jim White over to cover the ongoing saga.

I hear WLR are bringing Jim White over to cover the ongoing saga.
    Looking forward to deadline day, Tomas Mccarthy and Gavin Whelan standing outside the ballygunner gates looking for any sign of movement towards the deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

hardybuck wrote: »
    I'd be particularly concerned by DLS' form. Going from winning the All Ireland two years in a row to bottom of the Munster group getting hammerings in 6-7 years is a dramatic change. While you might explain it in a smaller school, DLS should have a consistent supply of players.

Who is coaching the teams currently? Is it McGrath and Dooley still or have one or both moved on?

Kevin Moran & Jonathan Moore (Abbeyside) both looking after the Harty in DLS College, the players they have at their expense they definitely should not be bottom of the group and getting hammered like yesterday, Passage Ballygunner & De La Salle all in top 4 (semi finals) of the minor championship won by Dungarvan feeding them aided by the south kilkenny lads an 1 or 2 more city clubs. There is one lad he's U15 young Thomas Douglas or Tonto as he is better known he's a fella showing a lot of promise as long as he's looked after and not burnt out from playing too much

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Looking forward to deadline day, Tomas Mccarthy and Gavin Whelan standing outside the ballygunner gates looking for any sign of movement towards the deal!

By far my favourite post on this thread! hahaha
    I think the two of them may have the go further west to get to see some deals though!!

Kevin Moran & Jonathan Moore (Abbeyside) both looking after the Harty in DLS College, the players they have at their expense they definitely should not be bottom of the group and getting hammered like yesterday, Passage Ballygunner & De La Salle all in top 4 (semi finals) of the minor championship won by Dungarvan feeding them aided by the south kilkenny lads an 1 or 2 more city clubs. There is one lad he's U15 young Thomas Douglas or Tonto as he is better known he's a fella showing a lot of promise as long as he's looked after and not burnt out from playing too much

Heard about that young fella, always hearing about him putting up massive scores! Lets hope he can still do it when all the other young fellas get to his size!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Heard about that young fella, always hearing about him putting up massive scores! Lets hope he can still do it when all the other young fellas get to his size!

He was arguably the best player for De La Salle in minor final against Dungarvan so hopefully he drives on

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cookey123

Rumour has it ballygunner wont be selling players but possibly getting 2 in on "free" transfers

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Munster Club Int Hurling Final Cappoquin 0-8 Bruff 0-9 h/t in Mallow

Cappoquin Munster Club Intermediate champions on a scoreline of 1-11 to 0-13. Well done to all involved.

Waterford club hurling teams have never been stronger as a whole. Do agree that Ballygunner aren't the team they were or Mouunt Sion were at the start of the last decade but still a good team and there's plenty of good teams around.

I don't doubt that the structure of Intermediate and particularly Junior hurling in the County could be improved but nonetheless the exposure young lads from a variety of different clubs are getting on County teams is greatly benefiting us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Cappoquin Munster Club Intermediate champions on a scoreline of 1-11 to 0-13. Well done to all involved.

Waterford club hurling teams have never been stronger as a whole. Do agree that Ballygunner aren't the team they were or Mouunt Sion were at the start of the last decade but still a good team and there's plenty of good teams around.

I don't doubt that the structure of Intermediate and particularly Junior hurling in the County could be improved but nonetheless the exposure young lads from a variety of different clubs are getting on County teams is greatly benefiting us.

It was a year of comebacks for Cappoquin, surely they will do ok senior next year?

Any of their players worth looking at for the county panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Slobbery wrote: »
    It was a year of comebacks for Cappoquin, surely they will do ok senior next year?

Any of their players worth looking at for the county panel?

Conor Murray.......outstanding at centre back

I know we've had the Shane O Rourke discussion but surely given our lack of forwards they need to at least try him.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

I know we've had the Shane O Rourke discussion but surely given our lack of forwards they need to at least try him.

Senior county hurling is all about pace........he doesnt have that ingredient, may wel lbe found out at senior club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cute Hoore

Huge Congratulations to Cappoquin Affane GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Ballygunner beat Dungarvan by 7 points in the u21 county final today, something like 2-11 to 0-10. Even allowing for the poor state of the pitch, this was a poor enough game with lots of errors and poor striking and shooting. The Gunners deserved the win which was built on a very solid defence but clearly Dungarvan missed Daly and Lyons, while Ryan Donnelly showed bits of real class but wasnt fully fit. With those 3 fully fit this might have been a different game.

Congrats to Cappaquinn on their great victory in the Munster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Is Peter Hogan minor again next year? Easily the best player on the pitch today. To be fair to Curran and Donnelly they had poor supply into them but both hit good scores at times

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Is Peter Hogan minor again next year? Easily the best player on the pitch today. To be fair to Curran and Donnelly they had poor supply into them but both hit good scores at times

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

cornerboy wrote: »
    Senior county hurling is all about pace
    Far from it. Can be useful but if a fella can pick off scores in a forward line I'd take him any day. What about a fella that has a great hand and great striker of a ball off both sides. Dismiss him because its all about pace? Ive seen plenty of lads with pace but cant field a ball and striking piss poor when they get in great positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Jarjohn wrote: »
    Far from it. Can be useful but if a fella can pick off scores in a forward line I'd take him any day. What about a fella that has a great hand and great striker of a ball off both sides. Dismiss him because its all about pace? Ive seen plenty of lads with pace but cant field a ball and striking piss poor when they get in great positions.

No disputing Shane O Rourke's ability but its a huge step up to inter county where the pace of hurling would be 10 times faster than what he has been playing. But I suppose you can use the likes of the Prendergasts,eoin Murphy,jack Kennedy(before he moved to DLS)as examples of players that made the switch to this level comfortably but I do think he would have to get into better physical shape if he was to be considered. I suppose there has been worse players tried out down through the years so to be fair to him if he was willing to work on the physical side he could be considered. Cappoquin wouldn't be county and Munster champions without him that's for sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement