Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross on Carauntoohill had been cut down

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Keep it down ta f**k. Its only a blight on the landscape. No doubt the Government will say this is more evidence of ISIS in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Lads we better bulldoze Christchurch and St Patricks cathedral, religious iconography have no place on public roads. Better start melting down all the bronze statues in towns and cities around thr country, they dont represent my beliefs or culture and therefore offend me.

Churches and cathedrals are purpose-built places where people go to worship. Why would I enter a church unless I wanted to worship? As well as that, they are often of artistic, cultural and architectural interest.
    Mountains are lovely great big lumps of planet earth that are fun to walk up and down, mindblowingly beautiful and gloriously non-denominational. The presence of a cross bothers some people. The absence of a cross bothers nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

You see crosses on lots of mountains across Europe, often overlooking a village, town or city.

One would have to be mentally suspect to get so worked up about a cross on a mountain.
    We have a Christian heritage whether one likes it or not, and removing symbols of this is not going to change society or our heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Keep it down ta f**k. Its only a blight on the landscape. No doubt the Government will say this is more evidence of ISIS in the country.

This plus 1 :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

We will have to start guarding crosses on other mountains, in case this is part of some sick plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Lads regardless of what everyone thinks of religion nowadays it's a senseless act. It's a shame for those who might have not climbed the mountain to have a glance. Most people get pics taken with the cross, it's a thing that's done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Shouldn't really be any religious symbols in our national parks or our natural beauty spots. That's from a bygone era and best left there in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

FrStone wrote: »
    We will have to start guarding crosses on other mountains, in case this is part of some sick plan.

http://scontent-b.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xap1/t51.2885-15/10354509_577557725696914_1148713453_a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

RobertKK wrote: »
    You see crosses on lots of mountains across Europe, often overlooking a village, town or city.

One would have to be mentally suspect to get so worked up about a cross on a mountain.
    We have a Christian heritage whether one likes it or not, and removing symbols of this is not going to change society or our heritage.

I agree that whoever cut the cross down is probably not entirely mentally stable, maybe they're working through some issues of their own, but I'm still glad it's gone.

The cross has only been there since the seventies, so it's a bit of a stretch to call it part of our heritage.

I agree that whoever cut the cross down is probably not entirely mentally stable, maybe they're working through some issues of their own, but I'm still glad it's gone.

The cross has only been there since the seventies, so it's a bit of a stretch to call it part of our heritage.

No doubt it will be replaced, otherwise is giving in to vandals.

The person or people responsible had no mandate to carry out such an action.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

No doubt it will be replaced, otherwise is giving in to vandals.

The person or people responsible had no mandate to carry out such an action.

Nor did the ones sticking it up there in the first place. It's a natural beauty, leave it alone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Allyall wrote: »
    Regardless, If they wanted it down, they could have started a petition.
    At the time it was erected, Ireland was a very Catholic Country, as time went on, it stood as reminder of our past.
    Are they going to go and cut down all the crosses in Glendalough because they don't agree with them?

I couldn't care either way if the cross was there or not, but there are better ways to go about it.

And what about the pope's cross in the Phoenix Park. Someone takes a disliking to that, are they just going to go in and hack that down?

I like what you say about it being a reminder of our past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

I'm all for secularisation too, but not forcing this secularism on others (as that is doing exactly what's being objected to in terms of religion) and removing this old symbol of christianity via vandalism is not the way to go.

Nor did the ones sticking it up there in the first place. It's a natural beauty, leave it alone.

How long is it there?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Churches and cathedrals are purpose-built places where people go to worship. Why would I enter a church unless I wanted to worship? As well as that, they are often of artistic, cultural and architectural interest.
    Mountains are lovely great big lumps of planet earth that are fun to walk up and down, mindblowingly beautiful and gloriously non-denominational. The presence of a cross bothers some people. The absence of a cross bothers nobody some people just as much.

FYP there. It's a part of this country's history and it's nothing short of sheer malicious vandalism and spite on the part of those cowards who took it upon themselves to cut it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭nc6000

They must have had some extension lead with them.

They most certainly did have a mandate when it was erected in 1976. There was huge support for it, it was erected to replace the older wooden cross.

The community got together to ensure that a cross would be on the mountain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

How long is it there?

Oh, it's there's hundreds of years, its been there since way back in 1976
    :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The hill is private property is it not?

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I didn't complain when someone put it up, I'm not going to complain when someone cut it down. Meh with an extra topping of mehness.

• Advertisement

Oh, it's there's hundreds of years, its been there since way back in 1976
    :)

The new cross is there since then. There was an older one there before then love.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Lads we better bulldoze Christchurch and St Patricks cathedral, religious iconography have no place on public roads.

You're being disingenuous and childish. You know very well that there is no comparison between almost 1,000-year-old iconic architecture and an ugly iron cross from the seventies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

FrStone wrote: »
    The new cross is there since then. There was an older one there before then love.

still there less than 2000 years

the mountain had been there unmolested for many more thousands of years

gctest50 wrote: »
    still there less than 2000 years

the mountain had been there unmolested for many more thousands of years

So you are suggesting we can destroy anything we don't agree with in a public area, if it is less than 2000 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You're being disingenuous and childish. You know very well that there is no comparison between almost 1,000-year-old iconic architecture and an ugly iron cross from the seventies.
    Disingenuous? Childish? Probably.
    But people here aren't in favour of the crosses removal because it's ugly or from the 70s but because it is a Christian symbol.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Was it a gas torch or a con saw job. High marks for determination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Disingenuous? Childish? Probably.
    But people here aren't in favour of the crosses removal because it's ugly or from the 70s but because it is a Christian symbol.

Would you support a Muslim symbol being put up there, if the locals were all for it?

Jewish symbol?

Flying Spaghetti Monster?

And don't start that "recognised religion" pseudo Nazi crap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Not to worry. It should be resurrected in three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I think that there should be an open bidding process to re-erect the advert. The Catholic Church's logo has had an unfair monopoly on that piece of prime advertising real estate and as far as I know, they haven't even been keeping up with their payments.

Other companies, for example Coca Cola or Pepsi, could put a similarly sized billboard up there instead. There could even be a vending machine up there for thirsty climbers.

With the revenue generated, we could install an escalator to carry obese tourists up to the top although we'd probably need to put a McDonalds up there to keep them happy. Then again, McDonalds would probably be more than happy to erect a giant M on top of Ireland's highest mountain.

Actually, the more I think about it, maybe we shouldn't have corporate logos on our mountains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Graces7 wrote: »
    Then you are intolerant. Period. Discriminatory too

Hoping it is replaced and soon.. that sign is of hope and beauty which we need so much

:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement