Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross on Carauntoohill had been cut down

Options
  • 22-11-2014 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

I'm after hearing from climbers that the cross has been cut down. This is blatant vandalism, some one actually had to bring the correct equipment up to do this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Its a miracle

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

FrStone wrote: »
    I'm after hearing from climbers that the cross has been cut down. This is blatant vandalism, some one actually had to bring the correct equipment up to do this.

http://www.thejournal.ie/cross-carrauntoohil-cut-down-1794036-Nov2014/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

It was vandalism to stick it in the top of the mountain in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

First of all, may I state clearly that it wasn't me.
    Secondly, I'm delighted to hear that the cross on Carrauntoohil is gone. It has always annoyed me to find a religious symbol at the top of various mountains, as if they have been claimed in the name of some god or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Secondly, I'm delighted to hear that the cross on Carrauntoohil is gone. It has always annoyed me to find a religious symbol at the top of various mountains, as if they have been claimed in the name of some god or other.

Then you are intolerant. Period. Discriminatory too

Hoping it is replaced and soon.. that sign is of hope and beauty which we need so much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i wonder when our post catholic hangover will dissipate

Graces7 wrote: »

Hoping it is replaced and soon.. that sign is of hope and beauty which we need so much

They had better apply for planning permission this time. Rules are rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

How the feck does a execution device give hope and beauty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If there's one thing pisses me off more than any other it's people climbing mountains without a damn good reason. And 'because it's there' is not a good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Regardless, If they wanted it down, they could have started a petition.
    At the time it was erected, Ireland was a very Catholic Country, as time went on, it stood as reminder of our past.
    Are they going to go and cut down all the crosses in Glendalough because they don't agree with them?

I couldn't care either way if the cross was there or not, but there are better ways to go about it.

• Advertisement

Against whom am I discriminating? People who don't want to climb a mountain unless there is a representation of an instrument of torture awaiting them at the summit?

You're right though, I find it difficult to tolerate eyesores.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

FrStone wrote: »

+100

And I am not even particularly religious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

I agree there's no place for religious iconography on top of this mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

Goodness. I am speechless that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Perhaps you have as much right to take a cross down from a mountain as you have of putting one up there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Against whom am I discriminating? People who don't want to climb a mountain unless there is a representation of an instrument of torture awaiting them at the summit?

You're right though, I find it difficult to tolerate eyesores.

Not all people are you... so ya, you are intollerant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

im surprised Lidl OR Aldi have not opened a unit up there!

jank wrote: »
    Not all people are you... so ya, you are intollerant.

I'm not intollerant, I'm intolerant.
    I'm intolerant of eyesores and stupidity and bigotry and laziness and lots of other things, but I'm not intolerant of people.

chrysagon wrote: »
    im surprised Lidl OR Aldi have not opened a unit up there!

If they move fast i hear there's a need for a Weekly Special welder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

The mountain itself is a sign of beauty, sticking a bronze age method of slowly killing people up there doesn't make it any more beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Nothing beautiful about that cross at all.
    It should be unlawful to erect any such eyesore upon one of our true national wonders

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Lads we better bulldoze Christchurch and St Patricks cathedral, religious iconography have no place on public roads. Better start melting down all the bronze statues in towns and cities around thr country, they dont represent my beliefs or culture and therefore offend me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Lads we better bulldoze Christchurch and St Patricks cathedral, religious iconography have no place on public roads. Better start melting down all the bronze statues in towns and cities around thr country, they dont represent my beliefs or culture and therefore offend me.

I'll give ya a hand!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭DeadHand

but I'm not intolerant of people.

Not even vandals, apparently.

And, yes, if you gloat at the removal of a religious monument because you do not agree with that religion then you are a bigot.

This cultural/religious destruction is the kind of thing ISIS and the Taliban engage in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Put it back up. Along with a statue of Buddha, Zeus, Mohammed and the flying spaghetti monster etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

id like a monument dedicated to that purple bast*rd Barney!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

bit cold for FEMEN to be topless up there with a consaw ?

go chainsaw woman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I've climbed Carrauntoohill a few times and I've always hated seeing it there, but this sort of vandalism is inexcusable. If any new Christian (or other religious) symbols appeared this morning on top of a mountain I'd happily cut them down myself, but when something has been up there long enough it becomes part of what the mountain is, and part of our heritage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I'm not intollerant, I'm intolerant.
    I'm intolerant of eyesores and stupidity and bigotry and laziness and lots of other things, but I'm not intolerant of people.

Oh added to being 'intolerant' you are also a spelling Nazi.
    Well done, try harder next time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

So we'll see you on top of Croagh Patick with a wrecking ball fairly soon then.......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement