Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Championships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

What held the Wexford SFC up until the middle of November? Seems shambolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

kilcormac-killoughey through to leinster final after a 5 point win over westmeaths rahanrey

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Very impressed with Ballyhale Shamrocks today. They will take some beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Munster Senior Club Final fixed for Parc ui Rinn on Novemeber 30th at 2pm

Austin Stacks V The Nire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

phkk wrote: »
    Very impressed with Ballyhale Shamrocks today. They will take some beating.

they're better than most county teams
    will they be able to maintain that excellence for the next few games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Munster Intermediate Final is fixed for Fitzgearld Stadium Killarney on the 29th of November at 2pm

Ardfert (Kerry) V Valley Rovers (Cork)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

What held the Wexford SFC up until the middle of November? Seems shambolic.
    From last month:
    As someone heavily involved in the club scene it's been a farce from day one. While I understand that club action is halted when county are still in the championship,football really took a back seat when Wexford were eliminated, and it appeared from then on they put all their eggs in the hurling basket to ensure they'd have a representative in the Leinster championship (I'm convinced they worked off the assumption that Oulart would win it out again).

There was the farcical situation where they had the final round of group games of football, where only final standings were up for grabs, played on a Friday of a weekend they could have feasibly played the quarter finals (some simple organisation could have scheduled them games mid-week the week before). It seemed that they delayed and delayed the football so that some of the bigger names could return from the States in time to assist their clubs in the knockout stages.

With the drawn hurling final this weekend, Castletown and Gusserane's semi final was rescheduled for this coming Saturday. But Gusserane have since rejected on the grounds that they have a couple of players flying home that day and it has been moved to bank holiday Monday. We might get the final played by Christmas.

Though not as bad as Tipp. Their SFC is only at the quarter final stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Leinster Intermediate Football Final will be a Meath v Louth affair as Ballinlough from the north of Meath take on Seán O'Mahony's of Dundalk on November 30th.

Ballinlough have turned into a bit of a juggernaut this season having only lost 3 competitive games so far between championship, league and knockout cup. Indeed, their only loss since June has been in the knockout cup which none of their players will lose sleep over. Their U21s are also in the C county final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

From last month:

Though not as bad as Tipp. Their SFC is only at the quarter final stage.

To be fair, Tipp had to contend with an all Ireland replay and they put a halt to the football to get a hurling rep out in time.

Wexford have no excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    they're better than most county teams
    will they be able to maintain that excellence for the next few games?

So are all the other top clubs from counties like Limk/Galway/Tipp/Clare etc.

The fact remains KK clubs aren't feared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Rightwing wrote: »
    So are all the other top clubs from counties like Limk/Galway/Tipp/Clare etc.

The fact remains KK clubs aren't feared.

ALL the top teams from all those counties are better than most county teams? Pull the other one.

Don't get me wrong, Ballyhale don't always play as well as they did at the weekend and they have plenty of flaws on their bad days, but nobody has ever accused Cratloe of being better than a county team. The reason it's said about Ballyhale is probably to do with how many All Stars they have between them, and a great performance last weekend (that may or may not prove to be indicative of their real quality this year).

Anyway no club is feared in the AI stage, sure every team left has silverware, why would they fear anyone? But I often find that when people start saying "we have no fear of [insert team, usually Kilkenny]" it's a sure sign their team will soon be bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

ALL the top teams from all those counties are better than most county teams? Pull the other one.

Depends on how you define most really. If it means the 28 or 29 worst counties it's definitely not true. However if it means the worst 21 or 22 counties it might be true. If it just means the 17 or 18 worst counties it's almost definitely true :)

Don't get me wrong, Ballyhale don't always play as well as they did at the weekend and they have plenty of flaws on their bad days, but nobody has ever accused Cratloe of being better than a county team. The reason it's said about Ballyhale is probably to do with how many All Stars they have between them, and a great performance last weekend (that may or may not prove to be indicative of their real quality this year).

Anyway no club is feared in the AI stage, sure every team left has silverware, why would they fear anyone? But I often find that when people start saying "we have no fear of [insert team, usually Kilkenny]" it's a sure sign their team will soon be bet.

I think to be fair the assertion that Ballyhale are better than most County teams is incorrect (and I know you didn't make the original point.)

Portumna have been the best club side since Birr, and nobody would even dream of making the argument that they are better than County teams when you consider Galway's poor corresponding championship record.

I'm not sure of Rightwing's point, but maybe he's talking about most club teams are better than the likes of Down, Mayo, Leitrim etc. but if he means anything other than that it's nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

KevinK wrote: »
    Depends on how you define most really. If it means the 28 or 29 worst counties it's definitely not true. However if it means the worst 21 or 22 counties it might be true. If it just means the 17 or 18 worst counties it's almost definitely true :)

OK fair enough but with hurling (and one of the reasons I hate the nonsense about Kilkenny football) virtually any senior club from a top county would be better than virtually any non Liam McCarthy county team (possibly exceptions for Kerry or the like). I just presumed we were talking about top county teams, certainly discussing Ballyhale, I would be comparing them with top teams. Most of the bottom tier of county hurling teams would be soundly beaten by a decent junior team from a top county.

I think to be fair the assertion that Ballyhale are better than most County teams is incorrect (and I know you didn't make the original point.)

Portumna have been the best club side since Birr, and nobody would even dream of making the argument that they are better than County teams when you consider Galway's poor corresponding championship record.

I'm not sure of Rightwing's point, but maybe he's talking about most club teams are better than the likes of Down, Mayo, Leitrim etc. but if he means anything other than that it's nonsense.

That's it. I was basically highlighting the fact that what the other poster wrote was rubbish.

I'd fancy Ballyhale to win it out, but for some reason KK clubs haven't done well in this competition lately. Galway are the kings.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Ballyhale would beat teams below Division 2, and probably some in the second division.
    ie MOST teams

But sure what merit has that argument in fairness? Tells you nothing of their prospects of beating any of the remaining teams in Munster or Leinster or indeed whoever comes out of Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

In fairness once Portumna won Galway its only 1 win from an All-Ireland final then. In their heyday they won Galway at a canter and then were only two games away from the All-Ireland. Ballyhale would have to get out of Kilkenny first of all and would meet a couple of determined challenges to get out of Leinster.

I honestly believe the last 3 years in the club championship have been the weakest in a long time and that's kind of been borne out with what has happened a lot of those sides since.

If Ballyhale and Portumna meet in the semi-final I'd expect Ballyhale to win with a bit to spare. Portumna did fantastically well to bounce back in Galway last year but it was a soft enough All-Ireland once they got out of Galway.

Cratloe going out of the football could be a blessing in disguise. You'd have to fancy them to reach the final at this stage.

In fairness once Portumna won Galway its only 1 win from an All-Ireland final then. In their heyday they won Galway at a canter and then were only two games away from the All-Ireland. Ballyhale would have to get out of Kilkenny first of all and would meet a couple of determined challenges to get out of Leinster.

I honestly believe the last 3 years in the club championship have been the weakest in a long time and that's kind of been borne out with what has happened a lot of those sides since.

If Ballyhale and Portumna meet in the semi-final I'd expect Ballyhale to win with a bit to spare. Portumna did fantastically well to bounce back in Galway last year but it was a soft enough All-Ireland once they got out of Galway.

Cratloe going out of the football could be a blessing in disguise. You'd have to fancy them to reach the final at this stage.

I wouldn't underestimate the toll yesterday took on Cratloe. Better team than Kilmallock though wouldn't say they are streets ahead, and in the two war of attritions they have faced in Munster so far in Munster they were lucky to escape Ballygunner with the win and didn't come through yesterday in the football. Kilmallock will bring that physicality again. But hope Cratloe do win it to be honest.

I fancy Ballyhale v Kilmacud, but don't underestimate the challenge Kilcormac might pose at this time of year. Ah really physical team. I think Ballyhale are justifiable favourites for the all-ireland, but to be fair to Portumna Galway is always competitive, and they still have to win two games after often against Munster and Leinster opponents. Was it 2009 they bet Ballyhale soundly? I know they lost to them handy enough in the final the following year.

Wouldn't disagree with the standard of the last 3 years although I do think Thurles have fine hurlers, but maybe not the stomach for club hurling at this time of year. Na Piarsaigh still young in there development. Don't think St Thomas or Loughiel winning all irelands was a good reflection on it, and MLR winning Leinster last year certainly wasn't a great reflection on the standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Your first paragraph is spot on. Winning the county is tough enough. Having to negotiate a provincial championship is an additional toll. When you're straight into an AI semi makes things a lot easier. Any team that emerges from from Munster/ Leinster has miles on the clock which has to have an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

citykat wrote: »
    Your first paragraph is spot on. Winning the county is tough enough. Having to negotiate a provincial championship is an additional toll. When you're straight into an AI semi makes things a lot easier. Any team that emerges from from Munster/ Leinster has miles on the clock which has to have an impact.

Not sure I would agree with you on this statement - provincial finals are over late November and the All Ireland semi isnt until the end of Feb giving them a nice little break aswell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

donnem33 wrote: »
    Not sure I would agree with you on this statement - provincial finals are over late November and the All Ireland semi isnt until the end of Feb giving them a nice little break aswell!

As regards the schedule you're right. I was talking more in terms of attrition from the number of games giving rise to injuries and players enthusiasm for keeping going.

not a word about Kilcormac- Killoughey i think they could be the dark horses

Doubt it. Offaly hurling is going backwards at a shocking rate.

well they did beat the wexford winners and wexford hurling is going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

well they did beat the wexford winners and wexford hurling is going forward.

First time winners who had played six weekends in a row, including a replayed county final a week earlier. Not exactly too impressive all things considered. Wexford club hurling isn't of the highest standard either.

lets not forget kilcormac- killoughey have won the leinster, the one title the oulart-the-ballagh couldn't.

First time winners who had played six weekends in a row, including a replayed county final a week earlier. Not exactly too impressive all things considered. Wexford club hurling isn't of the highest standard either.

That's just what I was thinking, you could almost pull 15 punters from the street and they'd challenge them.

lets not forget kilcormac- killoughey have won the leinster, the one title the oulart-the-ballagh couldn't.

Physical team hard to beat at this stage of the year. But Ballyhale have plenty of physicality and if it comes down to class there is only one winner. Still think it will likely be the hardest test they face before an all ireland final and that is, only if Cratloe come through on Sunday which I'm not sure they will given the tank is running low.

But if Cratloe do win Sunday, then personally I'd be anticipating a final between themselves and Ballyhale and that would be a contest I'd love to see on Paddys day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I think their chance came and went 2 years ago. Played very well in the semi-final but couldn't finish the job against a St. Thomas' side who were a long way below their best on the day.

Even if they were to win Leinster they'll have to beat the Galway Champions and the Munster Champions to win the All-Ireland. A tall order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

I think their chance came and went 2 years ago. Played very well in the semi-final but couldn't finish the job against a St. Thomas' side who were a long way below their best on the day.

Even if they were to win Leinster they'll have to beat the Galway Champions and the Munster Champions to win the All-Ireland. A tall order.
    They were in hard luck two years ago. Losing they best forward the week of the All Ireland and them the two Sexton brain farts did help. Still only lost by 2 points.
    Being a duel club last year took a toll on them. Getting to a lenister semi-final in the intermediate football and senior hurling using 13 of the same players on both teams.
    Offaly Champion is a hard one to win. Rynagh, Birr, Clareen and Coolderry(Lenister champion Three years ago) are all good clubs.

inter County Offaly are a shambles. Thanks to the county Boards appointing manager that are just big name and have no managerial experience to team at all level,
    Not appointing manager until 4 week before championship games. Appoint Coaches that are more interested in running lads up hills than putting a game plan in place.

Whelehan name his squad for next year and We're f**ked for another year.
    Only two full Backs in a squad of 40 and no Centre Backs.
    Missing the best Full back, Centre back, Wing back two best Midfielders, Centre forward.
    They won't hurl for Whelehan is year.
    The next group of good hurler coming in the county are also refusing to hurling under Whelehan. The Like of Gardiner, Kellehar, the two Doughan are all missing for Whelehan panel as he fell out with them over the last year.

They is now over 25 hurlers in the county that have made themselves unavailable for county this year with around another 10 that the management won't deal with. We can't effort to be missing more than 5 or 6.

I'm one sad Offaly man :o

Advertisement