Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Lydia Foy new case.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

According to the (US) National Transgender Discrimination Survey, 40% of transgender people have faced harassment when presenting identity documents that did not match their gender identity/expression. In addition, 15% report being denied entry or asked to leave because of gender mismatches, and 3% report facing physical assault due to mismatched ID.

Is this what those opposed to the Bill propose as an alternative? Continued ignorance, harassment and potential physical violence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I find the gender != sex debate about as scientific as creationism.

Although I may be a bit hard on creationism.

Go on...we are listening. What's your viewpoint on the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

I am delighted for Lydia Foy. Brave woman for sticking to her principles and conviction that she deserves to be recognised for who she really is. It is always hard to be the first to break a barrier, I hope this victory will bring great happiness to other transgender people in her position.

Yes I hope she enjoys her "settlement" that comes out of the pockets of all the people in the country. All to change a few words on a meaningless document.

MadsL wrote: »
    I'd argue that the State Record is using the term incorrectly.
    http://www.who.int/gender/whatisgender/en/
    How so? It says right in your link that ""Sex" refers to the biological and physiological characteristics that define men and women." How is registering someone born with only male genitalia as male incorrect?
    Since my friend had the sex of male foisted on him as a child he never was able to correctly identify his gender in a way that was comfortable for him.

There persists no way of legal being a third gender of neither male nor female.
    Intersex should be an option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I'd argue that the State Record is using the term incorrectly.
    http://www.who.int/gender/whatisgender/en/

Since my friend had the sex of male foisted on him as a child he never was able to correctly identify his gender in a way that was comfortable for him.

There persists no way of legal being a third gender of neither male nor female.

Actually Madsl isn't there actually a reference in the upcoming legislation about Sex changing with gender.
    (so that, if the acquired gender is the male
    gender, the person’s sex becomes that of a man and, if it is the female gender, the person’s
    sex becomes that of a woman)

I mentioned this before but I don't see the issue with chromosomal testing. This gender label if incorrect could be dealt with by the process outlined by the legislation.
    I have I only have a vague understanding of these issues but within western culture AFAIK we have always operated with a binary system of gender.

I think understand the need and logic behind disentangling Gender from Biological sex but, bearing in mind I only have a shallow knowledge of this particular issue but I have studied biology to a relatively high level, with Homo Sapiens Sapiens, being truly neither Sex is vanishingly rare.
    I am refering to biological sex which is determined at its most basic level by allosomes not the primary sexual characteristics that are present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    Yes I hope she enjoys her "settlement" that comes out of the pockets of all the people in the country. All to change a few words on a meaningless document.

A birth cert is meaningless now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Give her the amended cert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Earl Turner

Well her marriage cert and childrens birth certs contradict that.

Plus the fact he was born a man! Look if he's a woman now fair enough but you can't deny reality.

Nodin wrote: »

It is in day to day life. What affect will it have on Foy?

I have to laugh at all the "brave", "sticking to her principles" and "conviction" comments. Who knows she wasn't doing it for the money, publicity?
    Or is it taboo to question a persons motivation if they are the minority?

• Advertisement

What's the worth of 23 years of proving your case over and over for 21 YEARS only to have the State literally ignore what they agreed to do in court? All the while being treated as a second class citizen.

..and as Nodin points out, a Birth Cert is meaningless now? Best shred mine so...

Go on...we are listening. What's your viewpoint on the case?

I don't really care. Although resetting his birth cert is clearly a lie - like me getting my place of birth changed because mentally I felt I was a New Yorker.

It's harmless enough on an individual level. I'd let people chop their lads of anytime.

It's the "sex doesn't exist" crew which rankles.

Who knows she wasn't doing it for the money, publicity? Or is it taboo to question a persons motivation if they are the minority?

Srsly??

Nodin wrote: »

Apparantly yes. Since it can be fairly easily altered by dictate. It's certainly not a record in the normal sense anybody of "truth at birth".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

I have to laugh at all the "brave", "sticking to her principles" and "conviction" comments. Who knows she wasn't doing it for the money, publicity?

I doubt he is in it for the money TBF

I don't really care. Although resetting his birth cert is clearly a lie - like me getting my place of birth changed because mentally I felt I was a New Yorker.

No, it is not like that.
    It's harmless enough on an individual level. I'd let people chop their lads of anytime.

Snigger, snigger?
    It's the "sex doesn't exist" crew which rankles.

How does affect you exactly?

Srsly??

Why do you have proof she wasn't in it for the money or publicity? I don't have proof either way but I'd gladly retract that statement if you can prove it wrong.

nokia69 wrote: »
    I doubt she is in it for the money TBF

FYP

Why do you have proof she wasn't in it for the money or publicity? I don't have proof either way but I'd gladly retract that statement if you can prove it wrong.

Dignity of an answer...nah, you don't get one. I thought I'd seen the height of begrudgery but that's a peach right there.

Apparantly yes. Since it can be fairly easily altered by dictate.

If by 'fairly easily' you mean a 21 year legal marathon, then here we are. Now how does it affect you?

• Advertisement

Dignity of an answer...nah, you don't get one. I thought I'd seen the height of begrudgery but that's a peach right there.

I'll take that as a no. Thanks but I don't begrudge anything with relation to Foy.....even the settlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

It's not meaningless. The birth cert is a piece of paper, but an important one. The judgement however is a recognition by the state that this woman has been wronged for YEARS as she has been driven to fight this ridiculous battle to have her identity acknowledged. Now she can travel under a passport that states she is a woman. There's no way she did this for the money, why would she fight such an ugly and public battle for so long? She did it to be recognised, and I think she's hugely brave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I should probably know better than to even entertain posts like this, but... Ok, I'll bite.

Transsexual Gene Link Identified
    Male-to-Female Transsexuals Have Female Neuron Numbers in a Limbic Nucleu
    Male-to-Female Transsexuals Show Sex-Atypical Hypothalamus Activation When Smelling Odorous Steroids
    Regional Grey Matter Variation in Male-to-Female Transsexualism
    A sex difference in the hypothalamic uncinate nucleus: relationship to gender identity.
    White matter microstructure in female to male transsexuals before cross-sex hormonal treatment. A diffusion tensor imaging study.
    A Sex Difference in the Human Brain and its Relation to Transsexuality

There's probably more known about the issue of transsexuality than there is about homosexuality, this is but a small amount of scientific evidence on the subject, there's absolutely loads more out there, and medical science is certainly painting a fuller picture of transsexuality. But it has been relatively demystified over the past decade. So yes, a person's gender-identity does not always correlate with their sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Absolutely. Just people have evolved physically over time so too has the brain. Gender is defined by ones brain sex. Sometimes there are anomalies-such as inter-sexed people. Also sometimes there are anomalies where ones physical sex is misalligned with ones brain sex-such as transsexuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Chunners wrote: »
    I don't understand what you mean? from my own perspective this law won't really make any difference to my life or at least nothing would change for me if I were to change my birthcert to female anyway.

Its a proposed law - we actually dont know that detail yet.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

Links234 wrote: »
    I should probably know better than to even entertain posts like this, but... Ok, I'll bite.

There's probably more known about the issue of transsexuality than there is about homosexuality, this is but a small amount of scientific evidence on the subject, there's absolutely loads more out there, and medical science is certainly painting a fuller picture of transsexuality. But it has been relatively demystified over the past decade. So yes, a person's gender-identity does not always correlate with their sex.

No point getting all technical hon, sure they won't read any of that, best just to keep it simple and just say "Your gender is in your head, your sex is in your pants". That pretty much sums up what all those URLs will tell them anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

Its a proposed law - we actually dont know that detail yet.

Unless it includes changing my name on my birth cert too I know it won't make any difference to my life

He/she was still born a man though. Don't see how that can be denied.

Its really rude and inappropriate to say he/she. She was assigned male at birth. Thats true.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Are you for real? Would you have sex reassignment surgery and a 20 year battle through the courts just for the money?

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I could say something about burden of proof, or proving a negative, but...

You owe me €5. Can you prove you don't owe me €5? I don't have proof either way, but I'll retract my claim if you can prove it wrong.
    PS. It was a verbal agreement.

Advertisement