Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Invincible

Allyall wrote: »
    I was supposed to have one of them last week, but something happened in shipping. I'm expecting it in the next couple of days.
    I have since read some not-so-good comments about it on one of the Russian forums using Bing, so I'm not looking forward to it as much as I was. But I'm also hoping it didn't translate properly, because of the way it was worded.. :)

I also have the other MXq on it's way over, beside it.

Assuming all the delays are over, they should both be here before or on Friday at the latest, I can post which (if either), I think is better.

What's the WiFi performance like on the MXq, just that it hasn't an external antenna?
    Is there much of a noticable difference between this and an RK3188 box?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

BandMember wrote: »
    Can we start a seperate thread for this, please? It would be very handy as there are new add ons becoming available all the time while others become obsolete and it would be great to get a heads up from others as to what they are using, ideal for problem solving as well.

So, what do you all think? Yay or nay? :)

Would agree 100% with having a separate XBMC addons thread. It would be VERY useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Invincible wrote: »
    What's the WiFi performance like on the MXq, just that it hasn't an external antenna?

Haven't got them yet... :(

If they don't arrive by tomorrow I'm not going to be happy. Next week will be nearly 3 weeks for a paid DHL delivery.

I don't know if the S805 (A5) are as good as the S802 (A9) but definitely not the S812 (A9), but unfortunately i misread one of the boxes and thought that one of them had an S802.
    It can do anything S812 does, but only with 1080p, so if you don’t need 4K video playback and output (I don't), this is a cheaper solution. Power consumption should also be lower to the Cortex A5 cores instead of Cortex A9 for the others.

But I'm pretty sure that they're better than the RK3188.
    Hopefully I'll know for definite tomorrow.

If they don't arrive by tomorrow I'm not going to be happy. Next week will be nearly 3 weeks for a paid DHL delivery.

I don't know if the S805 (A5) are as good as the S802 (A9) but definitely not the S812 (A9), but unfortunately i misread one of the boxes and thought that one of them had an S802.
    It can do anything S812 does, but only with 1080p, so if you don’t need 4K video playback and output (I don't), this is a cheaper solution. Power consumption should also be lower to the Cortex A5 cores instead of Cortex A9 for the others.

Looking forward to your report :)
    Was that the seller you dealt with that you linked to for the MXq?
    Ther's another seller that has 283 orders (Shenzhen Yojia Technology) for about €6 less.

Looking forward to your report :)
    Was that the seller you dealt with that you linked to for the MXq?
    Ther's another seller that has 283 orders (Shenzhen Yojia Technology) for about €6 less.

No, I was looking around one night, and I had intended on getting one of the Hybrid Kit Kat boxes, 4 hours later, bleary eyed and 5:30AM, I started settling for the cheaper ones. Then I started looking at the S805's..
    I had been talking to a few sellers, bartering etc.. :) and then just went for the 2 MXq's.

I had thought one said S802, so I was curious as to the difference too. Tired and a decent price for both, I bought them and went to bed.

I think I got them both for €96, and shipping was €12 (For both). But I ordered other bits and pieces too, so I can't be 100%. One delivered with DHL was €55 incl. €8 shipping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Lads,

It might be a co-incidence but I was just on my online banking account and I've had a total of €1,750 taken from the account yesterday by an apparent "pharmacy" in Australia shortly after I paid for the "cheap" media boxes I ordered on Ali Express.

I don't believe in co-incidences and neither do my bank.

Check your accounts lads!!!

I should have trusted my instinct - if it looks too good to be true...........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

BenEadir wrote: »
    Lads,

It might be a co-incidence but I was just on my online banking account and I've had a total of €1,750 taken from the account yesterday by an apparent "pharmacy" in Australia shortly after I paid for the "cheap" media boxes I ordered on Ali Express.

I've used allexpress dozens of times before and never had a problem with them. You're not actually buying off allexpress you're buying off of a seller & Ali only pass the money on when you confirm you've received the item afaik.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I've used allexpress dozens of times before and never had a problem with them. You're not actually buying off allexpress you're buying off of a seller & Ali only pass the money on when you confirm you've received the item afaik.

Correct but the seller must get your card details??

I've only used Ali Express a couple of times prior to this and I had no problems plus I felt very confident in their policy of holding back payment from the vendor until you actually confirm receipt of the goods and that the goods are what they are supposed to be.

I didn't recall having to give my card details when paying for Ali Express stuff previously, I thought I must have paid by PayPal (which I always prefer) but yesterday for the media box PayPal wasn't an option so I had to pay with my debit card and that must have been how my card details were compromised.

The real issue is having €1,750 taken out of your account not not receiving a €20 media box!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hi, is there anywhere to check the difference between the S802 etc?

I was going to order a MXQ S85 Amlogic S805 but just want to compare the processors?

Sorry I think I found the answer myself :-)

http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/04/25/amlogic-stb-socs-comparison-aml8726-mx-s802-s805-and-s812/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I was going to buy the following: http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_94470.html

But after seeing you post done some research....

Think I will get the following

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_67807.html

This has the 8 core GPU on it and only 6 dollers more

Thanks allyall, would of never noticed apart from your post :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

Lads,

Thanks for the warning, checked my bank account and nothing untoward yet, will keep an eye on it, afaik Aliexpress use an escrow system where they hold your payment until you confirm the goods received or the buyer protection runs out, so unless some has cracked their security the seller should never see you credit card details (they never took PayPal while I have been using them). Hope you get the money back.

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Think I will get the following

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_67807.html

I had that box.. :D It's a great box, I sold it for the same I paid including shipping, so I was happy with that. Then I (still) wanted to get one of the newer hybrid boxes, but I can wait for one of them, as they seem to have bugs..
    pauleoin wrote: »
    Aliexpress use an escrow system where they hold your payment until you confirm the goods received or the buyer protection runs out, so unless some has cracked their security the seller should never see you credit card details (they never took PayPal while I have been using them). Hope you get the money back.

This +1.
    I don't see how someone could have done that. Also hope you get your cash back, but that's a serious breach if that is what happened..

I don't see how someone could have done that. Also hope you get your cash back, but that's a serious breach if that is what happened..

I may never know how it happened but the fact it happened hours after ordering the media box from Ali Express (which was the only online use of that card for over a week) suggests there is a connection between the two especially given the fact Ali Express have themselves shut down the seller for "suspicious seller activity".

Thankfully my bank responded promptly and having examined the situation (on the phone when I called them) all I had to do was answer some security type questions (had I left my card out of my sight recently, shared the PIN with anyone etc) and they confirmed they would refund the cash into my account by 6pm this evening. Can't complain about that can I?

Thankfully my bank responded promptly and having examined the situation (on the phone when I called them) all I had to do was answer some security type questions (had I left my card out of my sight recently, shared the PIN with anyone etc) and they confirmed they would refund the cash into my account by 6pm this evening. Can't complain about that can I?

Nope, can't. That's pretty cool.
    What i Meant was, I doubt it was hacked in Aliexpress. The person wouldn't have had to use a list of the buyers of the box, they could have gone after everone/anyone, unless they found some loophole using Store/product ID, but that would be unusual also.

It would be a massive breach if something like that happened.

In any case, glad you got it sorted. I checked my account after you posted and all seems to be okay, thankfully. And thanks for the heads up :).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

It would be a massive breach if something like that happened.

In any case, glad you got it sorted. I checked my account after you posted and all seems to be okay, thankfully. And thanks for the heads up :).

I too had ordered one of those boxes and got the email today that the seller was suspended. I checked my bank account there now and all seems fine. Thanks for the heads up, you're right to warn us. I know it might seem too coincidental but like the others here I just can't see how they could have got our CC details from AliExpress, it's possible your details were compromised weeks ago and have only been used now. Can you think of any other purchase you made recently that might have caused this? Somewhere else you gave your CC details to directly and not through a 3rd party like Paypal etc?

Glad you got sorted but still, should try and find out WTH happened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

So if I understand you correctly even though I paid by visa not PayPal the seller would never have had access to these details as the payment is made directly to aliexpress? Feeling a bit stupid over this now.:o

Blade wrote: »
    I too had ordered one of those boxes and got the email today that the seller was suspended. I checked my bank account there now and all seems fine. Thanks for the heads up, you're right to warn us. I know it might seem too coincidental but like the others here I just can't see how they could have got our CC details from AliExpress, it's possible your details were compromised weeks ago and have only been used now. Can you think of any other purchase you made recently that might have caused this? Somewhere else you gave your CC details to directly and not through a 3rd party like Paypal etc?

Glad you got sorted but still, should try and find out WTH happened!

I might have given my card to a well known fine dinging establishment ;) Only kidding.

I buy a lot of stuff online but 90% of it is from Amazon which is mega secure and eBay which is all PayPal. I did a few other transactions but very few and all with well established reputable companies such as http://www.planetx.co.uk for some cycling gear. The only sites I used in the last three months (other than booking hotels and flights with established airlines and using Hotels.com etc) are Ali Express (which I don't actually consider "dodgy" as they are the largest eCommerce business on the planet now worth ore than Amazon and eBay put together) and http://www.geekbuying.com who I bought my first X8-h from a good while ago. I guess they could be a bit dodgy all right.

Maybe (my Debit not Credit) card was compromised elsewhere and they just took advantage of it yesterday by coincidence but it's some coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ It may or may not be a coincidence. I am not sure how it can be hacked from there but I guess somehow it has been.

Thanks for the heads up. I did order on as well using Credit card, not debit. It all looks fine so far apart from the mail from Ali express.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced box for me to buy? I've been advised that the one I had linked earlier was a ripoff...

Also, consider me an idiot - how simple is it to load up XBMC and get the thing up and running to watch?

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Trojan00

coldfire1x wrote: »

This is Android. Well Amazon's version. It runs Android apps including XBMC already.

Trojan00 wrote: »
    This is Android. Well Amazon's version. It runs Android apps including XBMC already.

Cant see any mention of XBMC?

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Cant see any mention of XBMC?

There are a few XBMC builds ported to it. I don't think it comes with it.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Amazon_Fire_TV
    http://www.alashiban.com/running-xbmc-amazon-firetv-step-step-tutorial/

Lots of copies :D
    They may be decent, even have decent packaging, but you mightn't get them, as they are seriously clamping down on them now in China.
    Worse, it could make it all the way to customs here, and then get destroyed. In which case you wouldn't even get your money back :eek:.
    That's not the best one, there are near identical ones.
    I'd love to try it out, to compare, but I wouldn't risk ordering it. Nor would I recommend anybody order it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 223 ✭✭RiskItAllRick

sugarman wrote: »
    Still havent got an email from AliExpress about this, funds have been taken tho

Got this msg too after ordering last night not sure if money takin out as I've a few transactions pending.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Using Parcel Motel to order a new box, is it £10.00 minimum deposit? .

How much will it cost me to get it delivered from UK?
    Will I be issued with the address once deposit is paid to Parcel Motel?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

branners69 wrote: »
    This is a great add on, you will need to sign up to Wiziwig to download it. It has RTE, RTE 2, RTE News and RTE JR channels streaming live in different qualities.

RTE 2 HD is superb quality but it seems to suffer from buffering!

I keep getting an interdependencies error when I try to open this add-on. Any idea what might be causing this? Are there any similar add-ons?

Thanks.

dahat wrote: »
    Using Parcel Motel to order a new box, is it £10.00 minimum deposit? .

How much will it cost me to get it delivered from UK?
    Will I be issued with the address once deposit is paid to Parcel Motel?

Yes think 10 is minimum unless you link your card to it and pay as you go, €3.95 is their delivery, used to be €3.50.
    Good while since I used it, but when you register, they should provide you with personal PM number to include in their Antrim depot address.
    What box are you getting?
    Did you get the M8 from Amazon last month?

Yes think 10 is minimum unless you link your card to it and pay as you go, €3.95 is their delivery, used to be €3.50.
    Good while since I used it, but when you register, they should provide you with personal PM number to include in their Antrim depot address.
    What box are you getting?
    Did you get the M8 from Amazon last month?

Will.link my card to it then.thanks.

Yeah it was the M8 from Amazon. I reckon I corrupted something flashing over and back over a week. I also installed TWRP and then It couldn't read any SD card to flash a ROM that was supposed to be pretty good.

All in all I did pretty well to get a refund.

dahat wrote: »
    Will.link my card to it then.thanks.

Yeah it was the M8 from Amazon. I reckon I corrupted something flashing over and back over a week. I also installed TWRP and then It couldn't read any SD card to flash a ROM that was supposed to be pretty good.

All in all I did pretty well to get a refund.

That's one plus for Amazon, never hassle returning faulty products, even give you label to print off for postage!
    What box are you replacing it with?

• Advertisement

That's one plus for Amazon, never hassle returning faulty products, even give you label to print off for postage!
    What box are you replacing it with?

Indeed,refund has been advanced as well. Likely get same agwin but with different firmware.
    There is a seller in a Facebook group I'm on for the M8 box and he will flash better firmware on it so will likely buy from him.UK resident.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement