Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning for Next Year Whats Happend So Far

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Another question was reading a thread there about engagement gifts. Got me thinking, now I do have most inc but some were family neighbours and that

Should you invite everyone who gave you an engagement gift?

Another one was what do people think of the whole gift list idea.. Not as a way to get a really expensive that you cant afford but more on the opposite end of. If lets someone could not afford what people say is the standard gift (I would like to say I think this is rubbish you give what you can and that is that) but some people really worry about this, would it be nice to have a list and pick something that lets say the couple do want and is not that costly.. Or for the people who would prefer to give a gift might.. Cant decide whether I think tis nice or not nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Personally, I didn't have a gift list and we didn't really want any presents. But people kept asking, so in the end, we just asked for M & S (for the UK guests) and Debs vouchers. People still got us gifts and gave us money though. In fact, I'm taking delivery of a display cabinet tomorrow as we got quite a lot of crystal, a decent Denby dinner service, and a Newbridge cutlery set and I'm sick of looking at the boxes in the wardrobes!

If you want a gift list then choose a good mixture to go on it to allow for all budgets. Debenhams, M & S, BT and Amazon all have facilities for setting one up.

How did the display cabinet go, is everything nicely placed in there!!! Yeah I have two boxes of glasses upstairs id love to have out but we have no room... Never thought of vouchers that is quite good. I was just saying that to himself and he was like well what do we want though and I though ohh a loverly set of sheets would be nice..

Yes a good mix of things is a great idea, even things like books. Id hate for people to be put under pressure with the money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The display cabinet isn't at the moment! Was delivered last week. Unpacked it, only to find a bloody great scratch down the front of it, and the glass not sitting flush on one side! :mad:. New one to be delivered tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

We are setting up a list in Brown Thomas and in an art gallery in town. I hate when people don't have lists because you really don't know what they want or need and I, personally, rather not give cash.

We are being careful to make sure there are lots of price options and the gallery list means you can put as little or much as you want towards a painting of our choosing.

If course some people won't agree, but judging by my siblings' weddings most people were happy enough to get them what they wanted/needed. My sister only had to return one set of John Rocha com Waterford glasses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

We've been asked by a few people on his side about a list, and to be honest, we are both quite anti them.
    First of all, I think they seem crass. It is outwardly asking for a present, it looks greedy to me, but that's just us.
    Also, most people who have a list, don't actually get the things on the list - they just pool all the money people have "donated" to the list, and cash it in for something else.
    And really, we don't need or want anything that you would get on a list. We have our own house, decorated as we want, so can't think of anything to actually add to it.
    Where I'm from (the country) it would definitely be frowned upon, and people would see you as having 'notions'. It's different in Dublin though I know.

We've been trying to get the message to his family that we aren't expecting presents, but some keep insisting so we've been trying to think of a few ideas just to keep them quiet!

Oh no ABajaninCork!! What a shame hope you get the new one scratch free... Maybe the next one will be the nicest anyway.

Thanks for the replies, I am seeing it from both sides. Like that kkcatlou for me first thoughts were too it is a bit rude to ask,but then if people are asking and would prefer to buy something or if it is cheaper for them to do that, I have to say I have been turned me thinks.

Said it again to himself we would be the same have the house etc and have lots and lots of stuff too much of it but there are things I wouldn't mind.. Even silly things like net curtains a nice linen bed set things like that. Was thinking maybe we were hoping to use a wedding app for photos and that and maybe we could put a list up that people could mark off to make sure no one doubles up.

nosietoes the art gallery sounds like a loverly idea get a nice few bits there and also like you say if you can pick ones that you prefer and add to it later so you can defo get it is great..

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭foreverandever

I'm getting married soon and I actually disagree about the wedding list. I think it's much more crass to ask for cash or say "we have everything for the house already". You don't put the wedding list in with the invite but if someone asks then you can say well actually we have a wedding list if you'd like to choose from that.
    I know I'd have no problem with that, log online, pick out a present and pay for it. I wouldn't have to think about it and I could just get something I can afford, weddings are expensive and askingn your guests to cough up cash to pay for themselves is a bit cheeky I think. If at the end of the day the couple decide to change it for something else I don't think it's the end of the world. My two cents anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

We went to a wedding in the us shortly before our own and it was dead handy having a list to work off - meant we didnt have to faff around worrying what the norm is for cash gift there and didnt need to lug presents with us or go on a mad rampage round the shops when we got there.

A few people (mostly OHs relatives abroad, and Irish people used to 'foreign' weddings) asked if we had a list. We didn't, and I was morto responding as didn't want to sound money grabbing (we wouldn't have minded no presents) plus some of those people were creative and I didn't want them to feel they shouldn't make anything for us if that's what they wanted.

Worked out grand, we were just honest and said 'no we never got round to a list cos we have all we need. But please don't feel a gift is necessary, we're just so glad you're going to be there". Some people had travelled a long way so we really didn't want them to go to any extra expense.

Good tips that you ladies.. Think we might have one as an back up maybe if someone did ask, or we could have something like a hint thing is someone really did want to buy something instead of giving cash. Feel the same as most about the money I hate to think someone is being put out by being asked to the wedding..

• Advertisement

You could pick a shop you might like vouchers for? That way abroad people could buy online, or know where to go. One for all vouchers are useful too.

Or have a good think about stuff you might need. We're emigrating soon and will have to dispose of our own preexisting junk, so really didnt feel the need to ask for more stuff! However, we did get lots of photo frames, some artwork, well made textiles, decent glassware, kitchenware and ceramics all of which we adore and can use. Stuff we wouldn't have thought of/bought for ourselves but are useful and good quality.

Loads of things are popping into my head now even things like cinema vouchers, as we love go but sometimes it can be quite pricey if you don't have the money to hand and it would be something that would not cost a fortune to others.. The brain is swimming with ideas now haha

Milly33 wrote: »
    Loads of things are popping into my head now even things like cinema vouchers, as we love go but sometimes it can be quite pricey if you don't have the money to hand and it would be something that would not cost a fortune to others.. The brain is swimming with ideas now haha
    Haha! The yank wedding we went to had Amazon and target vouchers on the list. As young almost-weds we thought it was great!

Got the signs cut out last night. Not a bad job now, just plain and simple. Mad to get painting them but sure tis a bit silly doing it at this stage will wait till closer to the date

Might be of use to someone out there http://onefabday.com/100-best-irish-wedding-venues-2014

For any Cork ladies out there, there is going to be a pop up wedding shop in the old store where the body shop used to be in town this weekend. Starts Friday from 9 to Sunday 6pm all sales go for the special Olympics... Nothing to do with it just saw it in the echo this evening it might be interesting..

Has anyone here had any experience with getting a room decorated with White material.. I suppose you would call it curtaining.. I was in contact with a lady who does it but she was annoying me as she would not give me a rough idea of how much it would cost.. I just want to know if tis affordable or not..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Do you mean swag? A lot of places do it, but off the top of my head, Alora's Wedding Emporium do it. I was in touch with someone there before and they were very helpful and friendly, and gave clear prices. They're on Facebook (can't link at the moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

FrogPrince do it too , its pretty expensive from what I can see.

Alora's facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/AWE-Aloras-Wedding-Emporium/361923813869144?ref=ts&fref=ts

Their website and contact details are there, along with lots of pictures. I have the figure €250 in my head from when we considered it, but it would depend on how much swag you wanted etc. They are dublin-based, I think, so there may well be a delivery charge.

There's also that Alan's Wedding Hire or something. There's also a crowd called Gotcha Covered but I think they're more people who do all the decorating at an event, rather than renting out specific bits and pieces.

• Advertisement

I tried Alans I wasn't too impressed with him. I emailed him twice and then he never got back had to make a comment on the main page and he still didn't come back.. hate when places do that. The next one was Audreys who is a friend of a friend so I was sure she would be helpful but nope she kept avoiding the question which would have me thinking she is well overprices..

I had an idea of maybe €300 which is ok in my head as it would pretty up the room an awfull lot.. Swags would work alright, lets say at a point in the roof and then drapping down the side of the wall that is what I am looking for..

I shall try all above there, was hoping to get someone in cork as like ye said they may charge more for travel but sod it if the cork ones aren't coming back then that's their beef.. Thanks ladies I shall try all

Something like this?

10354143_704949039566618_4969833020969155279_n.jpg?oh=23b436285fe9340d66468faaf7713424&oe=54EEF1AD&__gda__=1428146709_68939bd2f3b2f20a9f5fba5862181241

That's a picture on Alora's page (I sound like I work for them - I swear I don't, I just had a good experience when I phoned them about an LED dance floor). So I guess ceiling to floor would be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

I tried Alans I wasn't too impressed with him. I emailed him twice and then he never got back had to make a comment on the main page and he still didn't come back.. hate when places do that. The next one was Audreys who is a friend of a friend so I was sure she would be helpful but nope she kept avoiding the question which would have me thinking she is well overprices..

I had an idea of maybe €300 which is ok in my head as it would pretty up the room an awfull lot.. Swags would work alright, lets say at a point in the roof and then drapping down the side of the wall that is what I am looking for..

I shall try all above there, was hoping to get someone in cork as like ye said they may charge more for travel but sod it if the cork ones aren't coming back then that's their beef.. Thanks ladies I shall try all
    I know 2 people who had this and 550 and 700 was paid to hire companies. Look up finesse weddings and Gotchacovered. Totally depends on room size and what you want obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Faith wrote: »
    Something like this?

10354143_704949039566618_4969833020969155279_n.jpg?oh=23b436285fe9340d66468faaf7713424&oe=54EEF1AD&__gda__=1428146709_68939bd2f3b2f20a9f5fba5862181241

That's a picture on Alora's page (I sound like I work for them - I swear I don't, I just had a good experience when I phoned them about an LED dance floor). So I guess ceiling to floor would be possible.

AWE have been fantastic with us too, our hotel actually contracts them to dress the rooms so we've gotten discounts on the led dance floor and the wedding arch. 7 weeks to go here... :eek:

Thank you all ladies. I emailed Alora today to see if they come back.. AWE/finesse weddings and Gotchacovered are next on my list!! It is really annoying the way people just don't tell you, sure that's how they get the business. Were all hands on deck so we must do it all ourselves this is the only thing I am stuck on. I could do it but I think by the time you get everything you will end up spending as much...

The room isn't huge just it is really bare and we are planning on having the ceremony/music in there so it needs something..Watch now no one will use it..

7 Weeks January ahhh, Are you excited has everything come together for ye!!!

Sorry I just see AWE are Alora!1 D'Oh my bad..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Few bits left to do... have to get sand for the sand ceremony and page boy suits sorted (one is 5 and one will be just 8 months at the time of the wedding so leaving it so they both don't take a stretch.) That's about it :)

Thank you all ladies. I emailed Alora today to see if they come back.. AWE/finesse weddings and Gotchacovered are next on my list!! It is really annoying the way people just don't tell you, sure that's how they get the business. Were all hands on deck so we must do it all ourselves this is the only thing I am stuck on. I could do it but I think by the time you get everything you will end up spending as much...

The room isn't huge just it is really bare and we are planning on having the ceremony/music in there so it needs something..Watch now no one will use it..

7 Weeks January ahhh, Are you excited has everything come together for ye!!!

/cough/ not all ladies..:)

Consider uplighters in keeping with any colour theme of your wedding. see this website http://soundworks.ie/uplighters_for_weddings_.html

Ive done some of these on request (I dont hire out but know companies that do) and they really add to a room. You create columnar scenes as per the pics on that site. 150e for 15 uplighters is a relatively cheap way to completely change the way the room looks. get the lighting company to set the colour, you just just have to plug them in when you get them. If you have drapes as well, it really adds but they do create scenes on their own.

.... if you set them to daisy chain and set the master to sound chase theyll flash later on when youre having your music (now thats REALLY adds to the room) but youll need dmx/xlr leads to do this, the light company will have them but may charge you for hiring these as well. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I seem to be the only one that finds that kind of lighting completely tacky and horrible. Not just uplighters, so many weddings have horrible lighting now, that I can see. Going by nearly all the wedding photos I've seen on FB in the last few years. Really harsh colours that take from the atmosphere and the room, IMO.

• Advertisement

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I seem to be the only one that finds that kind of lighting completely tacky and horrible. Not just uplighters, so many weddings have horrible lighting now, that I can see. Going by nearly all the wedding photos I've seen on FB in the last few years. Really harsh colours that take from the atmosphere and the room, IMO.

I see it a lot and in general it does add to a room if done right. Keeping it in theme is essential, black and white for example,
    But having cerese pink uplighters while room is in florescent orange drapes with most of the ladies wearing contrasting coloured dresses, does not a nice room make.

Advertisement