Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail strike days

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Infini2 wrote: »
    Sounds like a case of "haters gonna hate" not to mention pointless ranting.

Hate? Have you any idea of how screwed up the CIE entity is? Do you understand the general public perception going back many years?

To simply use that remark is devoid of any real contribution to any kind of serious debate.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Warning to all: Cool down before posting again. Take a second before posting.

-- Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Wasn't to many staff out picketing today, was the weather to wet or couldn't they be bothered ;)

A company with 2,000 ish staff and you could probably bet less than 200 came out across all stations!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭may06

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Wasn't to many staff out picketing today, was the weather to wet or couldn't they be bothered ;)

A company with 2,000 ish staff and you could probably bet less than 200 came out across all stations!

Well all the staff at my station were out in force & fair play to them for doing so in such terrible weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭kingshankly

You do realise only two unions were striking nbru and siptu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

As were the lads out in my own place even with what we have left we did what we could to show.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Ask yourself why the luas is running today and why many are thankful it was taken away from CIE in the development stages.

i don't think the average person really knows who is running it TBH, thats okay, not everyone is interested in transport apart from getting from a to b . who's to say though that CIE wanted to run luas? maybe they didn't?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Get Real

I've noticed a bit of heated debate in the last few pages of the thread, so before joining in I'd just like to say-

I work in the private sector, however the majority of my family work in the public sector. I am not on any "side" frankly, I'll take an opposing/supportive view to either side if imo, workers are being treated poorly/ just taking the p**s :p

So, I have some questions and then my opinion, I am open to corrections from both sides.

1. Would it be correct to say the low end of the scale is about 30k?

2. that for the lowest paid, a cut of 1.7% will apply? (increasing proportionally with income to 5%)?

3. That it is possible that there are frontline workers earning up to 50k?

4. That this pay cut is a temporary measure?

5. That IE provide pensions and benefits?

So- just my tuppence. White flag here :o:D

Would the staff not agree to the temporary pay cut, and if this promise was broken then fair enough, go and strike.

Would this cut -temporary cut- amount to as little as 10/15 quid a week for some people?

Don't get me wrong, I am not belittling 15euro a week, I certainly know the difference that can make.

But lads, I know of a guy who has a Masters in Radiology, he's not even earning 30 k a year and he is working in his field yes, in a private hospital. Granted he's there just a year.

Another has no college experience and is employed to run (doesn't own) a business with 60 staff. It makes profit, 1million quid a year, he gets 50k.

IE are losing money. there are thousands of others with families, bills etc who are skilled/ hard working etc whose salary is far below the average in IE.

Hell, forget about the average of 51k, 30k at the lower end is good money. There are IT developers starting on that.

I know I can't say for sure as I may not suit the job, but if your pay was reduced 20% I'd take it. I'd certainly apply, train (excuse the pun :p) and try my hardest. And if it was decided I was sht then fair enough.

And yes, in the past I have worked shift work, gotten up at 4am, gotten home at midnight etc. And thats without a pension and benefits. So with that aspect of the work I get it.

But to have a relatively secure job, with that pay, with an incremental scale, pension and other benefits, I think for the sake of 10/15 quid a week (temporarily at that) yous are mental :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Well college was open for me in Sandymount as I was on the 7 bus heading to Ballsbridge this morning. That bus journey wasn't too bad as I was only waited 10 minutes for the bus and it went 'light' from Blackrock onwards making the journey very quick. Although for me, this happened after the morning rush hour.

The evening time was a different story altogether. I got on the 4 bus to head back to Stradbrook Road at around 17:20 and there was a lot of heavy traffic heading southbound on the Merrion Road. I got delayed in the heavy traffic opposite St Vincents Hospital. The bus itself was nearly full but with a small amount of seats while I sat upstairs that were empty.

The only thing I noticed when passing Sandymount DART Station twice today, I saw no picket outside the station. Both sides of the station were locked up only with the LC gates open, the ticket barriers on the northside platform being open too with the other side of it being completely locked up. Is their normally an arrangement made with the Irish rail staff and unions as to when they would hold a picket outside the station when a strike takes place on any given day?

You do realise only two unions were striking nbru and siptu

Yes but they have somewhere between 2000-2300 workers and the two unions striking represent at least 1700-1800 of the workforce. I would love the exact numbers out over the two days as it just looked like a joke. Clearly all the sheep are not following each other.

Unions/staff have the cheek to take issue with the CEO on holidays however the majority on strike took two days holidays bar the handful who bothered to picket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

If i worked in one of them halts id be mad not to go in to work during the strike. Pickets would be on the main stations,i wouldnt be passing a picket, it would be only me in the station, i'd sign in and tidy up a bit and then go home as there would be no trains or passengers . End result is that id get my days pay and then go and stand with the lads later in the day at another station and get my strike pay as well :) Happy days all round for me :).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Yes but they have somewhere between 2000-2300 workers and the two unions striking represent at least 1700-1800 of the workforce. I would love the exact numbers out over the two days as it just looked like a joke. Clearly all the sheep are not following each other.

Unions/staff have the cheek to take issue with the CEO on holidays however the majority on strike took two days holidays bar the handful who bothered to picket.

Those that picketed would be those that was roster'd on for them hours. Few hours on the picket and another lot would take over. Dont forget those that would have been on holiday and on a day off. Also not all staff was on strike.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Those that picketed would be those that was roster'd on for them hours. Few hours on the picket and another lot would take over. Dont forget those that would have been on holiday and on a day off. Also not all staff was on strike.

Of course there would be exceptions but even with the shift changes turnout looked very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

Staff have been told they cant take Annual Leave on the strike days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

Staff were told that they cannot take Annual Leave on the strike days.

Get Real wrote: »
    So, I have some questions and then my opinion, I am open to corrections from both sides.

1. Would it be correct to say the low end of the scale is about 30k?

About 36k would be the lowest end of the scale at depotman grade.
    2. that for the lowest paid, a cut of 1.7% will apply? (increasing proportionally with income to 5%)?
    Pretty much yes on this.
    3. That it is possible that there are frontline workers earning up to 50k?

Only ones that could be on close to that would be the drivers at the top of the scale (10years).
    4. That this pay cut is a temporary measure?
    Thats what therye saying but the key issue on this is Trust. We got a goverment that undermined the previous cost saving agreement that people signed up to within months of it being agreed via cutting the subsidy again. As it stands people working there believe theyre lying and theyll just keep undermining the place since they got no interest in actually maintaining it for the people
    5. That IE provide pensions and benefits?
    No major benefits bar privilage fares for travelling from where im working the pension for most is basically something that is meant to augment the state pension when people retire its no payday if thats what your wondering.
    Would the staff not agree to the temporary pay cut, and if this promise was broken then fair enough, go and strike.
    As far as the staff position goes they agreed to reduced terms and conditions in return for core pay being maintained and the goverment and managment basically undermined it within 2 months of agreement. The managment and goverment basically have no credibility atm and if workers dont make a stand theyll just keep walking over them.
    Would this cut -temporary cut- amount to as little as 10/15 quid a week for some people?
    Supposedly but that being said you got the goverment thats tossed a bunch of taxes on everyone including them dramatically reducing income and then theres the water taxes beginning soon. Throw a morgage and young family into the mix and that money can be the difference for some.
    I know I can't say for sure as I may not suit the job, but if your pay was reduced 20% I'd take it. I'd certainly apply, train (excuse the pun :p) and try my hardest. And if it was decided I was sht then fair enough.

And yes, in the past I have worked shift work, gotten up at 4am, gotten home at midnight etc. And thats without a pension and benefits. So with that aspect of the work I get it.

But to have a relatively secure job, with that pay, with an incremental scale, pension and other benefits, I think for the sake of 10/15 quid a week (temporarily at that) yous are mental :pac:

To be honest though the way the companys being run the last few years expecially with the gutting of the front line staff has basically brought things to the point where the future of the company is in serious doubt. Theres been alot of mismanagment with things like the spending on excess trains not to mention the sheer amount of holes with revenue and the free travel pass scheme. Basically its either face the issues down now or wait till they slowly bleed the place dry down the road. Either way could be the same result so better to face down these issues now than have them constantly kicking them down the road till its too late.

The only thing I noticed when passing Sandymount DART Station twice today, I saw no picket outside the station. Both sides of the station were locked up only with the LC gates open, the ticket barriers on the northside platform being open too with the other side of it being completely locked up. Is their normally an arrangement made with the Irish rail staff and unions as to when they would hold a picket outside the station when a strike takes place on any given day?

The lads from the halts would be picketing the main depot which for there is Pearse. Same would be those halts under Bray, Dun Leary and Malahide/Sutton.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

bikeman1 wrote: »

The government controls the subvention to Irish Rail. It is Fine Gael and Labour who are forcing this situation. While I fully understand the precarious situation that the economy was / is in, this is not the fault of IE drivers and frontline staff. It says something when a country we are more than happy to pay the bankers huge money to let the nurses / guards / teachers etc get hammered for something that is not their making..

A. The financial mess was everyone's making. It was a national culture supported time and again at the polls.

B. Job losses and pay cuts tore through the FS sector in Ireland- thanks for noticing from your permanent pensionable job

A. The financial mess was everyone's making. It was a national culture supported time and again at the polls.

It was lax regulation and financial tossers acting the maggot that caused the mess were in not to mention the monstrosity that was bailing out Anglo Irish **** instead of letting it crash and burn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Infini2 wrote: »
    It was lax regulation and financial tossers acting the maggot that caused the mess were in not to mention the monstrosity that was bailing out Anglo Irish **** instead of letting it crash and burn.

As an aside, reading McWilliams in Sunday Business Post a few years ago describing Sean Fitzpatrick having a rant against Protestants in the Bank of Ireland is a classic of its kind. Insiders in Ireland who drove the bus over the cliff, pretending to be rebel outsiders. That's why Fianna Fáil deserve to be out of power for years to come, firing up the apocalypse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

bazza1 wrote: »

Maybe so, once the strikes were announced, but I would imagine that anyone who already had their leave booked and approved before this point would be still entitled to take it, as they could have made arrangements in good faith based on that. Hence there were likely still staff on leave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

cython wrote: »
    Maybe so, once the strikes were announced, but I would imagine that anyone who already had their leave booked and approved before this point would be still entitled to take it, as they could have made arrangements in good faith based on that. Hence there were likely still staff on leave.

You are exactly right. The day the first strike dates were released an internal memo went out saying there was a block on annual leave/lieu days/etc on those dates but anyone who was in before that was ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

I did say what they can do legally , if its not legal then they cant do it . Staff didnt get new contracts when they got a pay rise so could they bring down to the original rate? If you got a new job with a higher rate then you would have a got a new contract.
    Its a good question as why they havent gone down that road, surely it would have been mentioned in the Labour court though.
    A group called the 4 skins had a song about this, One Law for them and another one for us.

your contract doesn't have to be written down

Labour court has nothing to do with the contract, its recommendations are just that in this case and not binding.
    Anyone who works for an employer for a regular wage or salary automatically has a contract of employment. While the complete contract does not have to be in writing, an employee must be given a written statement of terms of employment within 2 months of starting work

Changes to your contract of employment
    Changes to your contract of employment can occur due to a change in the law, but otherwise, changes must be agreed between your employer and yourself. The requirement for both the employer's and the employee's consent to changes in the terms of the contract is part of contract law.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/contracts_of_employment/contract_of_employment.html

Changing a Contract of Employment

Changing or varying the terms and conditions of a contract of employment can only be done with the agreement of the parties. It cannot be unilateral.

An employer is leaving him/herself open to a successful claim if he imposes changes to a contractual entitlement unilaterally. It is worth noting that agreement can be express, implied, or by acquiescence.

http://employmentrightsireland.com/the-employment-contract-in-irish-employment-law-the-essentials/

Ask your unions why they have decided to deprive you of 5 days pay rather than seek an injunction to stop the company unilaterally changing your contract ?

cdebru wrote: »
    Ask your unions why they have decided to deprive you of 5 days pay rather than seek an injunction to stop the company unilaterally changing your contract ?

This doesn't just apply to public sector jobs, but: employment law matters right up until it doesn't and changes get made to your terms/conditions/pay without your agreement anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

This just popped up on my twitter feed

https://twitter.com/UsitTravel/status/504017899313311746

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭kingshankly

bazza1 wrote: »

Incorrect plenty of staff were on holidays you couldn't apply for annual leave once the strike dates were announced but any a/l already applied for were granted and all rostered a/l were ok

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

This doesn't just apply to public sector jobs, but: employment law matters right up until it doesn't and changes get made to your terms/conditions/pay without your agreement anyway.

I completely agree. Why doesn't each and every employee go and sue the company then, since they will make a huge amount if the company are breaking employment law.

Of course it would kill the company, but who cares about the bigger picture anyway? That is the problem in all this, the staff don't see the bigger picture, they just see it as a salary cut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Incorrect plenty of staff were on holidays you couldn't apply for annual leave once the strike dates were announced but any a/l already applied for were granted and all rostered a/l were ok

Did staff know the dates before they were announced officially? Years ago while working for a semi state company we went on strike but loads had leave booked because we had been told the strike dates weeks before the company were officially informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

i don't think the average person really knows who is running it TBH, thats okay, not everyone is interested in transport apart from getting from a to b . who's to say though that CIE wanted to run luas? maybe they didn't?

Its precisely the getting from A to B that frequently gets caught in the middle of the CIE superdrama.

As for luas, it was conceived by CIE and they were responsible for the early light rail orders. The Government of the day removed them from the project by creating the RPA. Aren't we lucky.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Did staff know the dates before they were announced officially?

Nope, we found out the dates when they were officially served in the strike notice to the company.

Advertisement