Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 178 - McGregor-Poirier**Tune in from 3:30 onwards to see McGregor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭kingcharles82

T-K-O wrote: »
    Apparently They didn't know they were being filmed.

https://mediacru.sh/9udOwRUPh0yv

That's quality!!building up to be a great fight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

It's kind of crazy seeing this poster for 178 and seeing Conor so prominent with the Irish flag front and centre. It is one of a few the UFC have done for the event but crazy all the same. You'd swear he was the main event...
    BuhsFJvCUAEQff5.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

It's kind of crazy seeing this poster for 178 and seeing Conor so prominent with the Irish flag front and centre. It is one of a few the UFC have done for the event but crazy all the same. You'd swear he was the main event...
    BuhsFJvCUAEQff5.jpg:large

That is just the UFC playing it safe to keep Jones and Cormier separate in case they start another brawl. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Is that a fan made poster? has to be surely

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

dave1982 wrote: »
    Is that a fan made poster? has to be surely

Probably, or its a region specific poster for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Well Conor tweeted it out and it uses the same font and fighter photos that are on the other official posters. It probably was a region specific one.

10355816_10152565607696276_6284734434729752339_n.jpg?oh=da3640b9109f9e3255719e49d42ecc17&oe=54735A9C&__gda__=1416702819_112937a4926f024f37b1f6dab7040f13
    imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-xpa1%2Fv%2Ft1.0-9%2Fp526x296%2F10355816_10152565607696276_6284734434729752339_n.jpg%253Foh%253Dda3640b9109f9e3255719e49d42ecc17%2526oe%253D54735A9C%2526__gda__%253D1416702819_112937a4926f024f37b1f6dab7040f13&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FUFC%3Fv%3Dapp_4949752878&h=526&w=526&tbnid=DjIxdHULcao65M%3A&zoom=1&docid=RtfjK15x81AJ3M&ei=ngPpU_zCJuSK7Abj1ICwDg&tbm=isch&client=firefox-a&ved=0CD4QMygXMBc&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=6119&page=1&start=0&ndsp=28

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Apparently big news at 6pm US time to be announced, rumours Jones did his ankle in and is out of the fight.

Edit: confirmed

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/8/12/5996465/jon-jones-injures-ankle-daniel-cormier-fight-moved-to-jan-3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Jones/Cormier fight has been postponed due to a leg injury which Jones picked up in training.

McGregor/Poirier now the main event?

Edit: Appears that they'll have a new main event, just hasn't been chosen yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

As per. Knew something would go wrong

Conor's hardly gonna be the main event ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Id say card will be postponed. Or else UFC might gamble on Conor being able to headline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Burb5

Johnson vs Cariaso is the new UFC 178 main event according to MMA media on Twitter

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Burb5 wrote: »
    Johnson vs Cariaso is the new UFC 178 main event according to MMA media on Twitter

Confirmed also

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/499316910123921408

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Aw man!!!! Well I know johnson is the champ but conor vs dustin is a much more interesting fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'm absolutely gutted about this. I'm going to this event and they've replaced possibly the best title fight imaginable with the worst! Gutted!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

On the plus side, anyone here wanting to see Conor fight could probably get tickets for about half the price now as no doubt lots will be selling theirs. More spotlight on Conor now also, providing he does the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Gustafsson won't be happy. I wonder if he'll take on a fight before Jones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Keno wrote: »
    Gustafsson won't be happy. I wonder if he'll take on a fight before Jones.

He will probably fight rumble now. UFC surely wont protect him for the (inevitable) jones rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Posted this in the conor thread so its obviosuly more relevant here.
    Johnson V Cariaso is new main event.

What a horrible anticlimax from an event i was looking forward to, id rather see Conor / Poirier or Cowboy / Alvarez as a main event. MM v Cariaso is a joke of a matchup in the first place but i was fine with it being co main of 177, as a main event its the weakest of a number show in a LONG time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

Does Mighty Mouse have a personality?

Does Mighty Mouse have a personality?

Yeah he does, of a rubber boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

ASOT wrote: »
    Posted this in the conor thread so its obviosuly more relevant here.

What a horrible anticlimax from an event i was looking forward to, id rather see Conor / Poirier or Cowboy / Alvarez as a main event. MM v Cariaso is a joke of a matchup in the first place but i was fine with it being co main of 177, as a main event its the weakest of a number show in a LONG time!

Sickened but I think UFC174 the last one MM headlined prob worse as it wasn't held up with as strong an undercard as UFC178 has... well on paper at least.

UFC177 isn't the strongest card either so ya was happy with the flyweight title on there.

Also think it was a great platform for interest in the sport here for the people only tuning in to watch Conors fight witnessing Jones and DC throwdown could've possibly led them to return even if Conor wasn't involved, serious doubts MM v Cariaso could have same effect.

Sickened but I think UFC174 the last one MM headlined prob worse as it wasn't held up with as strong an undercard as UFC178 has... well on paper at least.

UFC177 isn't the strongest card either so ya was happy with the flyweight title on there.

Also think it was a great platform for interest in the sport here for the people only tuning in to watch Conors fight witnessing Jones and DC throwdown could've possibly led them to return even if Conor wasn't involved, serious doubts MM v Cariaso could have same effect.

Id rather the Bagautinov fight over the Cariaso , as far as cards go though id much rather 178 obviously!

Yeah exactly it was a good platform for fans who were at UFC Dublin to see the next step up in Jones/DC! I fly out to Ibiza on the Sunday at 10am, not quite sure if il bother staying up for this now. Will most likely do the Conor fight then sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Glad UFC had a strong enough card to lose the main event and continue without it

dave1982 wrote: »
    Glad UFC had a strong enough card to lose the main event and continue without it

Ya true but they were talking 1m buyrate before the change of bout no hope now.

I read at the time UFC174 which I previously mentioned that did only 90k or something.

Gus says now that this is put back he wants to be back reinstated because he is the #1 contender, which to be honest he has a point.

"Alexander Gustafsson
    39 minutes ago
    I just heard the news that Jones is injured and the fight is rescheduled to January 3????
    Until then, I will be more than ready, it was MY fight to begin with and I WANT the fight as the number 1 contender. End of story!!"

Gus says now that this is put back he wants to be back reinstated because he is the #1 contender, which to be honest he has a point.

"Alexander Gustafsson
    39 minutes ago
    I just heard the news that Jones is injured and the fight is rescheduled to January 3????
    Until then, I will be more than ready, it was MY fight to begin with and I WANT the fight as the number 1 contender. End of story!!"

The plot thickens... tbh I thought that Jan 3 card was nailed on to be Hendricks v Lawler 2, where would that go now?

Maybe January 31st card with Silva v Diaz?

I think Gus has a case to be fair for a shot in January, he technically is the #1 contender and if it was the other way around just say Jones got injured so Gus went to fight DC, then DC got injured the logical solution would be back to Jones v Gus? Its a tricky situation for the UFC to sort out now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Its seriously disappointing though isn't it,Conors fight is the first or second on the card right?
    To be honest unless i'm having a great time i'll probably go to bed after his fight,no great fights on that card other than Conor v Poirer.

Am not a big fan of Cruz,he is Mighty Mouse mark 2 and then the main even we have a watered down Dominic Cruz in MM,both fights are sure to be decisions,definitely the 2 most boring divisions in the co and main event.

This scenario worked out perfect for the UFC in all fairness because with the brawl and everything they know Jones,Cormier will do big numbers so they are gonna stick them 2 now headlining a bad card when they do fight,very little value these days for the UFC viewer,thought this was shaping up to be a great event but i'll still buy it now for Conors fight,but if Conor wasn't on it i wouldn't touch this event,Co and main event Cruz and MM,2 decision fighters in the 2 lowest divisions plus a womans fight.

amkin25 wrote: »
    Its seriously disappointing though isn't it,Conors fight is the first or second on the card right?
    To be honest unless i'm having a great time i'll probably go to bed after his fight,no great fights on that card other than Conor v Poirer.

Am not a big fan of Cruz,he is Mighty Mouse mark 2 and then the main even we have a watered down Dominic Cruz in MM,both fights are sure to be decisions,definitely the 2 most boring divisions in the co and main event.

This scenario worked out perfect for the UFC in all fairness because with the brawl and everything they know Jones,Cormier will do big numbers so they are gonna stick them 2 now headlining a bad card when they do fight,very little value these days for the UFC viewer,thought this was shaping up to be a great event but i'll still buy it now for Conors fight,but if Conor wasn't on it i wouldn't touch this event,Co and main event Cruz and MM,2 decision fighters in the 2 lowest divisions plus a womans fight.

Conors fight is the Co Main Even, so youl be up for the night if your wanting to see it! Its still a fairly stacked card especially if they add Alvarez/Cowboy but its just disappointing to go from Jones/DC to MM/Cariaso which is a horrible mismatch. He doesnt deserve a title shot, he got one just for the fact it was awkward timing with people just after fighting. I would have much rathered see McCal/Dodson/Linker/Formiga in there!

I doubt there going to do that with the fight either, the two events in January will either have one of Lawler/Hendricks 2 / Silva/Diaz so whichever card it gets added to will be stacked to the rafters IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Conors fight is the Co Main Even, so youl be up for the night if your wanting to see it! Its still a fairly stacked card especially if they add Alvarez/Cowboy but its just disappointing to go from Jones/DC to MM/Cariaso which is a horrible mismatch. He doesnt deserve a title shot, he got one just for the fact it was awkward timing with people just after fighting. I would have much rathered see McCal/Dodson/Linker/Formiga in there!

I doubt there going to do that with the fight either, the two events in January will either have one of Lawler/Hendricks 2 / Silva/Diaz so whichever card it gets added to will be stacked to the rafters IMO.

I hope you're right about Conor being co main event,makes sense just didn't pick that up anywhere.

Advertisement