Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

If he didn't get much of a locker room bonus after FN Dublin, you can be sure his next contract will be a bumper one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Mellor wrote: »
    His contracted salary was possibly set when he initially signed, depending on how many fights he was signed for. His second fight was 12k/12k as part of the initial contract.

Yeah wouldn't surprise me if he was being low-balled by Dana but considering he headlined an event that set records etc,you would imagine there was lockeroom bonuses involved.

You would hope so at least,i think he probably got paid nearer to 100k for this fight,none of us will know off course but Dana seemed pretty happy and the fight pass was their best ever,i would say he raked them in a nice number of new customers signing on to fight pass,which potentially could be worth a lot of cash in future should they continue with membership,generally the UFC pay their big draws well and i think Conor falls into this category.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

amkin25 wrote: »
    Yeah wouldn't surprise me if he was being low-balled by Dana but considering he headlined an event that set records etc,you would imagine there was lockeroom bonuses involved.
    It's hardly being low balled, it's a standard contract. It's an opportunity to get in, and establish yourself for future earnings.
    Getting in the door has been far more valuable than any fight money. Especially considering g the last 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

It's hardly being low balled, it's a standard contract. It's an opportunity to get in, and establish yourself for future earnings.
    Getting in the door has been far more valuable than any fight money. Especially considering g the last 12 months.

Spot on! Everyone has to prove themselves in the UFC regardless of their background! He has had 3 fights.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

No way is he getting 100K to fight, I think maybe 12K show and 12K win.God only knows whats he's getting in undisclosed bonuses.The Dublin card I guessing 24 K for the 50 K for the performance bonus.Thats 74 K before any locker room bonuses he got and I think he got a lot of that.Conor is a breath of fresh air in the UFC.I was not a fan before the Dublin the card but he has proved himself after that fight.

Anyone know was the Sweden fight a one off deal or did he sign a multi fight contract ? If it was a multi fight contract he signed before Sweden we have to remember no one could have guessed he'd be where he is now back then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Burb5

dave1982 wrote: »
    No way is he getting 100K to fight, I think maybe 12K show and 12K win.God only knows whats he's getting in undisclosed bonuses.The Dublin card I guessing 24 K for the 50 K for the performance bonus.Thats 74 K before any locker room bonuses he got and I think he got a lot of that.Conor is a breath of fresh air in the UFC.I was not a fan before the Dublin the card but he has proved himself after that fight.

Anyone know was the Sweden fight a one off deal or did he sign a multi fight contract ? If it was a multi fight contract he signed before Sweden we have to remember no one could have guessed he'd be where he is now back then

According to severemma (a quick bit of googling), Conor signed an initial 5 fight deal with the UFC but that doesn't mean that deal has to expire for the UFC to offer him a new one (although for a lot of fighters they tend to negotiate a new deal on the last fight on the current deal)

Also a key thing to remember UFC fighter pay is in Dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

IMO

The UFC Pays fighters simply what they are worth TO the UFC.

Undercard nobodies get nothing cash not worth getting up for when you take away all costs and potential risk but they pay PPV Sellers/Card savers/Hype-builders dirty fortunes in cash in backroom bonuses - Frank Mir got approx 1 million dollars as a bonus for the UFC 100 Brock Fight and there are lots of examples - Josh Kos got a Ferrari and another bonus with which he apparently bought a small plane... McGregor has the actual ability - physical, PR ability to get himself to the biggest fights - Cub, Edgar, Aldo etc at FW and headline Vegas PPV cards and if he won those dream fights spectacularly he would get IMO serioiusly major undisclosed Bonus money - based on what I've read I'd say he's capable of earning 300k+ in one night when alll is said and done - maybe not his next fight but possibly within his next 3 if/WHEN he keeps winning AND talking. Conor McGregor can become a millionaire from UFC Show + Win + KOTN/FOTN Bonus + Backroom Bonus + potentially getting future PPV cut + Sponsorship within the next 24 months IMO and if I was Dana I'd literally promise him a million in cash if he simply gets to the title fight based on the business Conor will create en route... new fans etc etc he's a potential gold mine and I hope he takes them for every penny he can coz they prob pay something like 15-20% of the money they make to the fighters and that's not fair IMO..(can of worms briefly opened and immediately shut)
    He's a special talent on and off the mic, a one man movement and it p1sses some people off - when he beats Poirier easily with better footwork and striking there will be no more argument and then he's one fight from the title IMO. Dana needs to motivate Conor to the tune of 'we will make you a millionaire if you keep doing what you're doing' - pure business logic Conor has said he's in it to get rich and get out unhurt so that's how you continue to excite this kid - you offer him millions - he'll pay you back 10 times over by adding 100-200,000 PPV buys onto every card he co-mains or mains - 5-10 million dollars more than you would have done - if he beats Poirer and turns the doubters/fence-sitters into hardcore fans. I reckon anyway.

Sort of contradicting yourself,i just said he probably got 100k all in for that fight either with bonuses or whatever,people are crazy if they think Conor is mixing with the Fertitas and Dana just for no reason.

Its because he could be massive,absolutely massive for the UFC possibly one of their biggest draws ever,if he was to win his next fight he will jump to being able to carry off a main even in Vegas v Cub or Frankie or whoever,and alright its a way to go yet,but he definitely as Dana says is a needle mover and they will be looking after him well financially already.

Its not just because im biased being Irish,but all over there is a massive buzz about Conor in mma,i don't remember a fighter ever creating this sort of buzz,and that brings money for the UFC in so many different ways,and they will want to encourage him to keep doing his thing so they will be taking care of him very well i guarantee.

I agree with you Amkin, I took it the post up as 100K being his show up money.In a interview with Helwani, Conor said he will make more the weekend of Dublin card than a lifetime of plumbing.

Conor is the UFC pet so he is being well looked after

IMO

The UFC Pays fighters simply what they are worth TO the UFC.

Undercard nobodies get nothing cash not worth getting up for when you take away all costs and potential risk ...
    As I said, they are getting more value from the contact than just the show/win money. And I'm not talking about bonuses.

Take Conor for example. If he blew his ACL in the Buchinger fight, his last CW fight, he'd have been screwed. Potentially career ruining situation when you are unable to fund anything more than basic treatment. Bye bye golden ticket.
    But luckily, he had the UFC contract. We all seen the twitter updates pics of his rehab in California. It looked like top class treatment, which doesn't come cheap in the states. You have to considered this when you look at the value iof a contract (the bonuses and such are extra on top).

Its not just because im biased being Irish,but all over there is a massive buzz about Conor in mma,i don't remember a fighter ever creating this sort of buzz,and that brings money for the UFC in so many different ways,and they will want to encourage him to keep doing his thing so they will be taking care of him very well i guarantee.
    Brock Lesnar.

Its trendy to make fun of Brock these days, but the fact remains that he was the biggest draw in MMA. He created a massive buzz and pull huge PPV numbers and people to the sport.
    Conor's buzz is clearly very different, but when talking about draws and PPV power, Brock is still king.

• Advertisement

Brock Lesnar.

Its trendy to make fun of Brock these days, but the fact remains that he was the biggest draw in MMA. He created a massive buzz and pull huge PPV numbers and people to the sport.
    Conor's buzz is clearly very different, but when talking about draws and PPV power, Brock is still king.

You found a buzz that was comparable,different,but for sure he did bring a buzz around MMA,possibly mostly within WWE fans who followed Brock,but he swelled the UFC coffers no doubt.

Obviously its premature to compare his numbers with Brocks,who was bringing loads of already made WWE fans with him,but if he were getting a fraction of Brocks money he would be getting a lot more than most UFC fighters are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I agree with you Amkin, I took it the post up as 100K being his show up money.In a interview with Helwani, Conor said he will make more the weekend of Dublin card than a lifetime of plumbing.

Conor is the UFC pet so he is being well looked after

A lifetime as a qualified plumber or the fella who makes the tea?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Chael, Silva, GSP ... all would drag more numbers to a PPV than Conor. Don't get me wrong, McGregor is a big name now (as long as he keeps winning mind you) but he wouldnt sell out a 60k seater in Vegas the way the aforementioned would.

DeVore wrote: »
    Chael, Silva, GSP ... all would drag more numbers to a PPV than Conor. Don't get me wrong, McGregor is a big name now (as long as he keeps winning mind you) but he wouldnt sell out a 60k seater in Vegas the way the aforementioned would.
    The biggest event ever in Vegas was 15k. I imagine he'd fill that.

Tickets sales doesn't mean a whole lot tbh.

Yeah PPVs is where the money is for the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The biggest event ever in Vegas was 15k. I imagine he'd fill that.

Tickets sales doesn't mean a whole lot tbh.

He wouldn't fill it at the prices they charge for the big PPV cards. Most of the tickets are very expensive and you'd struggle to get his core Irish fans to part with that kind of money, even if he was fighting for a title in Dublin.

Even at the higher priced events, PPV is the bigger money maker though.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    He wouldn't fill it at the prices they charge for the big PPV cards. Most of the tickets are very expensive and you'd struggle to get his core Irish fans to part with that kind of money, even if he was fighting for a title in Dublin.

Even at the higher priced events, PPV is the bigger money maker though.

If he won his next couple of fights and thats a big task,as they are only gonna get tougher if he gets past Poirer,but if he did,a title fight with Aldo would be massive imo,and would not only sell out in Vegas but do pretty good pay-per-view sales.

He also wouldn't be fighting for a title in Dublin you can be sure of that,so you needin worry about us not having the cash,they have plenty in vegas and would sell out no problem a McGregor,Aldo title fight.

Can you imagine the hype there would be behind Conor if he backs up his talk with a win over Poirer and then Cub,MMA world would be buzzing for that title fight,he might have Frankie after Poirer,who knows but it will be a big fight if he gets past Poirer,i don't think he will be matched up with Mendes unless off course he is carrying the belt by then.

If, and it's a big if, he gets past Poirier and who ever he fights in a title elimitator (Lamas or Edgar imo), the subsequent title fight would break the PPV record for the division.

If, and it's a big if, he gets past Poirier and who ever he fights in a title elimitator (Lamas or Edgar imo), the subsequent title fight would break the PPV record for the division.

Yeah i agree its a bit to go yet,Poirer is gonna be a big test,and it doesn't get any easier should he win.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

Yeah i agree its a bit to go yet,Poirer is gonna be a big test,and it doesn't get any easier should he win.

Why is Poirer ranked so highly? No. 5???
    He has not beaten anyone in the top 15!
    The two top 10 guys he fought he lost to them.

I think he is a good fighter but he is definitely a top 5 guy.

He's a good opponent for McGregor because if he wins it will look like a more impressive scalp than than it actually is

• Advertisement

monkey8 wrote: »
    Why is Poirer ranked so highly? No. 5???
    He has not beaten anyone in the top 15!
    The two top 10 guys he fought he lost to them.

I think he is a good fighter but he is definitely a top 5 guy.

Why should only wins count?
    It's not points based ranking.
    It's subjective opinion of members of the media who look at the fights, not the records. If a fighter puts in a solid performance but loses, there's no reason he couldn't move up in somebody's estimation.

Why should only wins count?
    It's not points based ranking.
    It's subjective opinion of members of the media who look at the fights, not the records. If a fighter puts in a solid performance but loses, there's no reason he couldn't move up in somebody's estimation.

well I think that Poirer position is an example of how flawed the rankings are.

I can see that good performances can be taken into account but winning is the be all and end all and should be the over riding factor.

How you can move into the top 15 and all the way up to number 5 without beating anyone in the top 15 shows that its a flawed system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I can see that good performances can be taken into account but winning is the be all and end all and should be the over riding factor.

How you can move into the top 15 and all the way up to number 5 without beating anyone in the top 15 shows that its a flawed system.

As the last guy said, it's not a league table. Who are the top 5 featherweights in the UFC in your opinion?

dulux99 wrote: »
    As the last guy said, it's not a league table. Who are the top 5 featherweights in the UFC in your opinion?

went back through the rankings and couldn't really find a more worthy top 5!!!

the top 10 don't seem to have fought each other as extensively as some of the other divisions

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Surly

By that logic McGregor shouldn't be in the top 10 as he hasn't beaten anyone in the top 15 either.

Thankfully rankings aren't as black and white as who has racked up the most wins.

Official Rankings are a fairly new thing in the UFC,so i wouldn't get carried away with how exact they are,Poirer has beaten Brookins ultimate fighter winner,Erik Koch,and if you seen that fight you would know Koch is an excellent fighter,and the last 3 fights Poirer won were not gimmes.

But regardless of ranking of the fighters he met,to put together the amount of wins he has in the UFC makes him a very worthy top 5,just because some guy isn't ranked in the top 15 doesn't mean for a fact he isn't top 15 material,also there is no easy fights in the UFC,its the cream of the crop so his record is excellent for the level he has fought at.

went back through the rankings and couldn't really find a more worthy top 5!!!
    Which proves my point tbh.
    If you put him at number 5 based on ability, so do members of the media. If everyone thinks he's around there, then that's how he makes 5th in the official rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jebus Diced

Conor's going to do it again, first round KO, and make it look easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Jones is injured lads, fight with Cormier moved to Jan 3rd. Conor for main event?? They'll surely add a replacement fight, and I'd imagine Gustafson is absolutely sickened!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Jones is injured lads, fight with Cormier moved to Jan 3rd. Conor for main event?? They'll surely add a replacement fight, and I'd imagine Gustafson is absolutely sickened!

Johnson V Cariaso is new main event.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement