Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I've finless 1.3 on mine & it runs ok. Can't link to it for some reason but Google should find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Allyall wrote: »
    Does your Prometheus have a heatsink installed?

If not, you can buy THIS ONE

You may need a different ROM too. I have a Prometheus sitting here for a while, the power on it is gone, I'll dig it out during the week and get a power. I can't remember what ROM I have on it, but it ran/runs very smoothly for me (With Heatsink).

mine didn't come with it no, ordered the heatsink. Any suggestions on roms for it? Only been near finless and he seems to be gone from freaktab so I'd be lost as to were to look/trust with roms.

an update I got the mk908ii working with finless 1.6 720p 4Gb parameters which left me with just over 2.3gb nand flash (which i couldn't see on the prometheus) the uxbmc guide said it needed over 1.5/6 or something so threw on xbmc gotham 13.1 and the .xbmc folder from uxbmc installed the p2p and played BBC1HD for 15-20 mins and zero buffering :eek::cool::D pretty cool set-up the UXBMC is and for only $1.99 can't go wrong. Iba big thanks for pointing me there.

mk908ii I'd like to change roms on that as well there is some quirk with finless 1.6 rom that will not let me play flash content in browsers all i get is a lego like pic, installed the flash.apk still nothing so any suggestion here would be great. (Tried on dolphin browser, stock browser and CM browser)

Edit: Finless rom download links working again : ) will work on the Prometheus first will post back.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭golfdiva

Hi All , new to these boxes and just doing some research at the moment. Looking at buying MINIX NEO X8. Seems to be the best of the present batch.

I was just wondering is there 3D content with these boxes , and if so does it work ok with them ?

Went ahead did a reflash on the Prometheus finless 1.3 installed gotham 13.1 and installed p2p addon only. Sopcast/Acestream installed python script ran, clicked BBC1HD first 10 mins of it had a few minor lags 1,2secs long it's been running for 20 mins now and all perfect.

Still interested in alternative roms for both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

golfdiva wrote: »
    Hi All , new to these boxes and just doing some research at the moment. Looking at buying MINIX NEO X8. Seems to be the best of the present batch.

I was just wondering is there 3D content with these boxes , and if so does it work ok with them ?

I've seen 3d avi files played on the Minix with a 3d TV. Worked fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

timetogo wrote: »
    I've seen 3d avi files played on the Minix with a 3d TV. Worked fine.

Yeah, there are a couple of 3D repositories, and most boxes that have been made in the last 12 -18 months should play 3D/1080p without a hitch.

Do the boxes need to be rooted ? I've seen some guides on youtube - what is the benefit of this ?

Do the boxes need to be rooted ? I've seen some guides on youtube - what is the benefit of this ?

No. They don't need to be rooted.

Rooting gives you control over your device. You can install apps that you otherwise may not be able to, and remove apps/bloatware that you don't want, and are otherwise unable to.

Why Root?

Ahh ok , thought maybe they needed root for XBMC or the add ons etc. Good to know its not needed

Ahh ok , thought maybe they needed root for XBMC or the add ons etc. Good to know its not needed

You may want to, as you can remove adverts with it when rooted.
    Handy for some apps outside XBMC, as they can tend to be riddled with them.

There are a couple of adblockers in XBMC too, if you decide to use some of the addons that have cráp in them.

• Advertisement

There are a couple of adblockers in XBMC too, if you decide to use some of the addons that have cráp in them.

Do they ever come rooted or is it something I would have to do myself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Do they ever come rooted or is it something I would have to do myself ?

Mine came rooted. just ask the seller to do it for you

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

What's a good adblocker for stand-alone apps Allyall?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

does adblock plus work?

Blade wrote: »
    What's a good adblocker for stand-alone apps Allyall?
    Adaway

Some apps won't work properly unless they are up to date with Adaway installed and blocking.

For example, shazizzleowbazizzleox crashes constantly, so disable adaway until it's updated, then reapply adblocking.
    iba wrote: »
    does adblock plus work?

I want to say yes.........
    But, right now, no. It can also cause problems with other apps.
    It does work, but not fully. Best adblocking apps are always going to require rooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

V good value on both keyboards. I have a Minix XH, and the supplied m1 pointer remote is not bad. So looking at something like the two options above

One nice to have on a keyboard mouse combo, is a built in mike, handy for google search using voice

iba wrote: »

It dropped in France and Italy last week (I suppose so many boxes providing a remote/airmouse didn't help.), and I was hoping it would drop with a QWERTY. Cool, thanks iba.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

I have two of these for a Minix x7 and x8. I find it great and the kids can use it no problem because the air mouse is like the Wii!

Keyboard on the back comes in handy for doing searches. It is also meant to learn the functions of another remote such as TV remote but I have tried it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

are there any good air remote/ qwerty keyboard that has a scroll wheel ?

donegal. wrote: »
    are there any good air remote/ qwerty keyboard that has a scroll wheel ?

At the moment I use standard USB keyboard and mouse....the scroll wheel never works in Xbmc.....even in the TV guides it says to use scroll wheel, try to use it and nothing....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

It dropped in France and Italy last week (I suppose so many boxes providing a remote/airmouse didn't help.), and I was hoping it would drop with a QWERTY. Cool, thanks iba.

Your welcome

Quick question, I got a remote with my box but it scrolls across using the arrow keys on the controller, so doesn't move the cursor around like the mouse....this is a huge pain

I guess I need air fly mouse controller to allow to move cursor around screen?

Hope that makes sense :-)

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Quick question, I got a remote with my box but it scrolls across using the arrow keys on the controller, so doesn't move the cursor around like the mouse....this is a huge pain

Yeah, or a wireless mouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Big Nelly wrote: »

Wireless mice works well but I've ordered the keyboard Allyall posted the link to above, wireless keyboard with a touchpad.

user2011 wrote: »
    Went ahead did a reflash on the Prometheus finless 1.3 installed gotham 13.1 and installed p2p addon only. Sopcast/Acestream installed python script ran, clicked BBC1HD first 10 mins of it had a few minor lags 1,2secs long it's been running for 20 mins now and all perfect.

Still interested in alternative roms for both.

Did you clear cache partition and wipe data/factory reset before installing the new ROMS?

I plugged in my Prometheus about an hour and a half ago. I wiped cache, and reinstalled the apps.
    I have a movie streaming in 1080p and it's nearly over (1 hour and 12 minutes into it), and no problem whatsoever.
    I forgot to check the ROM, I think it may be stock, I'll wait until the movie is over (sisters kids and friends are watching it).
    I checked Torrent streaming TV on it, and there was no problem at all, maybe if I had left it longer, but I doubt it.
    The Prometheus needs a heatsink because of the design. It has a weird texture skin on the box and there are no vent holes at all, anywhere.
    Add to that, that it is very thin, not an awful lot of room for the air to circulate.
    If it was slightly higher, it may not need one, but if you don't get a heatsink, I think you should at least open the box and drill a few vent holes above the CPU.

- The movie ended as I was writing. Opened TV and The Channel is still streaming!! There is no buffering at all.
    The Streaming TV and the HD Movie were running together all along.

I can remember trying out many ROMS on it at the time, but they were glitchy (looking back, it was most likely the lack of heatsink.). So I eneded up going back to the Official ROM.

I'll mess around with it for the rest of the day, but I can't see any problems arising yet.

Yeah, or a wireless mouse.

Yeah I use the wireless mouse at the moment....

Hey guys, I havent seen anyone recommending the Ouya in a while, at start of thread it was one of the highest recommended.....

Is it a bit dated at this stage or still a good option for Xbmc? I see they are selling for £93 on Amazon with free shipping so wondering is it worth a punt or better off spending the cash on Minix?

Is the Ouya more for gaming than media console?

• Advertisement

Did you clear cache partition and wipe data/factory reset before installing the new ROMS?

I plugged in my Prometheus about an hour and a half ago. I wiped cache, and reinstalled the apps.
    I have a movie streaming in 1080p and it's nearly over (1 hour and 12 minutes into it), and no problem whatsoever.
    I forgot to check the ROM, I think it may be stock, I'll wait until the movie is over (sisters kids and friends are watching it).
    I checked Torrent streaming TV on it, and there was no problem at all, maybe if I had left it longer, but I doubt it.
    The Prometheus needs a heatsink because of the design. It has a weird texture skin on the box and there are no vent holes at all, anywhere.
    Add to that, that it is very thin, not an awful lot of room for the air to circulate.
    If it was slightly higher, it may not need one, but if you don't get a heatsink, I think you should at least open the box and drill a few vent holes above the CPU.

- The movie ended as I was writing. Opened TV and The Channel is still streaming!! There is no buffering at all.
    The Streaming TV and the HD Movie were running together all along.

I can remember trying out many ROMS on it at the time, but they were glitchy (looking back, it was most likely the lack of heatsink.). So I eneded up going back to the Official ROM.

I'll mess around with it for the rest of the day, but I can't see any problems arising yet.

Got the heatsink delivered this morning, secured it with electrical tape put on Sky Sports News not a peep out of it (ran for an hour and a half). :cool:

Will look at getting something else to secure it instead of the tape though.

Would agree with the no air getting into it on Boxing day when watching the footie through web browser the stream started skipping the nephew was near it (no seating :pac:) got him to wave a newspaper to get the airflow going and it stopped.

Would love to get a quiet fan to sit near it, on top of it and for the mk908ii to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement