Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protestors disrupting World War 1 commemoration at Glasnevin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

budsalt wrote: »
    During the battle of the Somme the 16th Irish Division suffered losses of 224 officers and 4,090 men; despite these very heavy losses the division gained a reputation as first-class shock troops.

I think men like these deserve a minuet's silence and a little respect.

I agree....they deserve there respect

there is no defending some of what went on today (booing a mins silence FFS)

but it deos stick in the troats of many the way the state can find time and money to commerate british soldiers (though many that returned went on to serve with the ira-so they cannot all be condemned...anyone that glorifies it should be condemned though)
    and the state cannot find the money to refurbish/upkeep old ira monuments around the country...but will glady seek out to disrupt/antagonise those that fundraise for upkeep and repair of those monuments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 budsalt

its no longer amazing how some misguided people can defend the indefensible ........

Not sure who you are referring to, could you be a little more precise please?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

budsalt wrote: »
    Not sure who you are referring to, could you be a little more precise please?

people who jeer and abuse the Irish president at a service for Irish war dead in Ireland .
    deserve neither respect, acknowledgment or to be defended. and anyone who thinks otherwise is simply wrong ,

clear enough for ya is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Royals would probably turn up at it, if it meant their 'privilege subvention' was continued.

They wouldn't need to, Lizzie would already be there on the stamp!

(I'll get me coat)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

people who jeer and abuse the Irish president at a service for Irish war dead in Ireland .
    deserve neither respect, acknowledgment or to be defended. and anyone who thinks otherwise is simply wrong ,

hmm....while not agreeing with jeering/abusing anyone....you do have a broad definition of irish war dead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Yes, it's clear now. But it was a fair question to ask. Vague posts are pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 budsalt

Yes,that's clear enough thank you, and in fact I support what you say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

hmm....while not agreeing with jeering/abusing anyone....you do have a broad definition of irish war dead

i guess i may , but then again Irish people have been wars all over the world for all sorts of reasons on all sorts of sides such as both sides of the american civil war Spanish civil war etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

i hardly think the orange order will be let down here again thankfully after what happened last time

Great dodge and way to show yourself up as a hypocrite!

Typical narrow-minded armchair Provey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Sinn Fein would protest the opening of an envelope if they thought it would get them media attention. Bunch of shameless attention whores. The people who voted for them only have themselves to blame. They should have been left in the gutter, where they belong.

It wasn't Sinn Fein.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

A few greasy stoners with nothing else to do.
    Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Nodin wrote: »
    It wasn't Sinn Fein.

Try caps, you might get heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Jesus. wrote: »
    Great dodge and way to show yourself up as a hypocrite!

Typical narrow-minded armchair Provey

Yes. Anyone who doesn't want another orange match in Dublin = typical narrow minded armchair provey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Yes. Anyone who doesn't want another orange match in Dublin = typical narrow minded armchair provey

Go back to the initial exchange on the last page instead of jumping in half-cocked and you'll see who actually agrees with the point you've just made.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 any1butdublin3

I am a republican and I have 4 ancestors who died in the war, they came from a nationalist family and some of the brothers were even in the IRA.
    In modern Ireland all the British Army WW1 celebrations comes hand in hand with being Anglo-Irish, many of the men who died weren't Anglo-Irish or unionist.

I don't agree with the protestors but republicans have a right to be against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

Can you believe Theresa Valliers was at this? The same woman who earlier this year denied an inquest into the Ballymurphy Massacre. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Madam wrote: »
    For the life of me I don't understand why we need to commemorate a war that happened 100 years ago...

Because it was one of two of the most devastating wars to happen on the planet and it affect the lives of millions of people maybe?

There are less important things that are commemorated.

P_1 wrote: »
    Irish republicans always seemed to have found grasping the precise definition of the word 'republic' a tricky one to master.

Lads you don't represent me, you don't represent an awful lot of the people living here, kindly fcuk off.

but to be fair it was young hoolies like that who were in the IRA in the 20's as well

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I am a republican and I have 4 ancestors who died in the war, they came from a nationalist family and some of the brothers were even in the IRA.
    In modern Ireland all the British Army WW1 celebrations comes hand in hand with being Anglo-Irish, many of the men who died weren't Anglo-Irish or unionist.

I don't agree with the protestors but republicans have a right to be against it.

There's no problem with them being opposed to the WW1 commemoration. If they had staged a silent protest outside Glasnevin today, it would have been absolutely fine, but shouting and heckling during a solemn memorial service was disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Can you believe Theresa Valliers was at this? The same woman who earlier this year denied an inquest into the Ballymurphy Massacre. Shocking.

And who tried to stop a republican commemoration of their dead recently too.

• Advertisement

I tolerated the shinners before today, now I absolutely hate them

everyone in my family and most in the townland vote for sinn fein and they weren't protesting today, quit with the bigotry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

That's fine that you are now entirely comfortable with British army actions, both in Ireland and overseas.
    Bloody Sunday, Iraq , Afghanistan etc.
    Good for you.

However some are still not entirely satisfied with their actions, and indeed many civilians are not around to have a view.

"No excuse for that attitude now",
    Are you the thought police ?

One of the most condescending posts I've seen for a while

What is the point in defining your life based on the squabbles of past generations though?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

My uncle is one of these rent a protesters! All the same. Protesting Gaza now. He protests everything! Gaza, water charges, EU/IMF, republican prisoners being strip searched. You name it he protests it. ****ing sickens me! Him and his wife and now they have brainwashed their daughter who is the same. So there's another generation of them coming!

He shared an article on Facebook and in it a prisoner (POW) likened being strip searched to rape. That just came across as a huge insult to any victim of rape. Total idiots.

What is the point in defining your life based on the squabbles of past generations though?

The Bloody Sunday generation are still alive and so are the soldiers who did it, providing he's talking about the 1972 bloody sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The Bloody Sunday generation are still alive and so are the soldiers who did it, providing he's talking about the 1972 bloody sunday

Yes but what's the point in bearing such a grudge? We speak the same language, shop in mostly the same shops, support and play mostly the same sports, listen to the same music and mostly follow the same illogical bronze age text that has one or two insignificant differences.

I'm sorry but I'm not going to hate somebody who happens to live in England because of what happened in Derry years before I was born.

Is it not a good thing that our British now want to actively commemorate our war dead?

But just look how the army were treating N.Ireland catholics just a couple of decades ago, many of those catholics had grandfathers, etc who fought in WW1, it is a pity they couldn't show some respect and compassion when marching like thugs around the streets of N.Ireland

I'm sorry but I'm not going to hate somebody who happens to live in England because of what happened in Derry years before I was born.

Yes neither am I but it doesn't mean I will ever respect that army, even in 20-30 years I still won't respect it, or the royal family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Protesters were utterly in the wrong today.

But I think alot of people are using this action by about 20 so called republicans as a stick to beat Sinn Fein/ nationalists with, the views of 20 people are not that of the majoirty of nationalists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The vast majority of the Irish population are nationalist. If they weren't we wouldn't be living in a republic. These "protesters" most definitely do not represent the views of the vast majority of the Irish people.

Advertisement