Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protestors disrupting World War 1 commemoration at Glasnevin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I like to express myself freely on the internet and through my mobile phone even if our so called democratic state thinks differently.

In what way are you being censored, exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Jesus. wrote: »
    The Guards shouldn't have allowed that situation to develop in the first place. There should have been a cordon around the Cemetery for such an important event and the "protesters" could have shouted to their heart's content from afar.

Which is what happened when the Queen and President McAleese visited the Garden of Remembrance for example. It would have been an utter disgrace if those scumbags had been allowed disrupt the wreath laying ceremony (which was actually honouring the people of 1916 and the War of Independence).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

... it was and is the british army and government, the british army will always be an enemy...

The enemy of the IRA yes, but as Irish people the BA are not our enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Unsurprising to see people lambaste 'republicans' in general for the actions of a small coterie of fucktards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Bogger77 wrote: »
    Tom Barry, being one that springs to mind

Barry blotted his copybook big time when he (apparently) was involved in the murder of a retired British naval officer in Cork in 1936

• Advertisement

What happen today is disgrace and they are right, Higgins is a traitor. How dare they dishonor the decent men buried in that cemetery.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I just love the way the Irish on here call Lizzie 'The Queen':confused:

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

What feckin age are you?

Madam wrote: »

She's not our Queen, but I imagine the term "the Queen" would be recognised by anyone in the English speaking world as referring to Queen Elizabeth II

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Absolute scumbags.

/thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭LeBash

I drove by ot twice today and it was about 20 people.

i can understand Republicans disliking British soldiers if you are that way inclined but it was a comemeration for Irish troops. Does that mean they are pissing on the graves of Irish men who fought off Kaiser and the gang

LeBash wrote: »

i can understand Republicans disliking British soldiers if you are that way inclined but it was a comemeration for Irish troops. Does that mean they are pissing on the graves of Irish men who fought off Kaiser and the gang

The quarter of a million Irishmen were "traitors" don't you know :rolleyes:

LeBash wrote: »

You do know as an Irish person you are all regarded as republicans? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

It's just disgusting and depressing. Men gave their lives.......and to dishonour them and their memories is just awful.

Protesters? or agitators? (The people who protested)

Protest by all means.....but there is a time and a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 BarryLyndon

They have a right to protest, but it wasn't the most tasteful way to go about it. The Gardai slipped up though.

It is interesting to see how people interpret these events (the memorial...), and how much of their own prejudices they are projecting onto it i.e. whether or not they see it as solemn remembrance, or the glorifying of past deeds. Apparently Germany do not have a formal day of remembrance on Armistice Day (I was not aware of this). I would have thought a truly symbolic remembrance of these events would include both sides. Otherwise it could always be open to interpretation that you are celebrating your dead, rather than commemorating the tragic loss of a generation of this continent's men (for what?).

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mosby61

Winty wrote: »
    What will Gerry the paedophile protector Adams say about this, Will he condemn it ?
    Well when he stooped to that level anything else pales in comparison as far as he would be concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What will Gerry the paedophile protector Adams say about this, Will he condemn it ?

Wasn't it the PSNI that protected that pedophile? =/

Did the victim not confide with police on a few occasions only to be ignored by inspectors that were more interested in what she had to say about Gerry Adams?

Great bunch of lads

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mosby61

But it acts as a reminder that British army are not welcome by everyone, due to their past misdeeds
    If there was no protest we wouldn't even be discussing this
    This is hilarious. The conflict is over, when will some understand? The Queen has been in the Republic and paid respects in commemoration and even stood for the Irish national anthem. Higgins has been to the UK and met her majesty.

There is absolutely no excuse to still carry on with this attitude that British people from Northern Ireland or the rest of the UK or the British Army are the bad guys and should be opposed.

When will you ever move on? The Queen can not do any more to heal divisions. These Republican lunatics who have twisted Wolfe Tones view and have an aggressive ideology don't want peace but to make sure the last "Brit" is forced to the sea.

No excuse for that attitude now.

What feckin age are you?

Two thousand and fourteen years

• Registered Users Posts: 26 budsalt

My grandfather was in the Dubs and fought at Galipolli in 1915 and later at the battle of the Somme with the legendary 16th Irish Div. His brother died at the battle of Jutland and I am extremely proud of both of them. My grandfather survived and died in 1963. He is buried in Glasnevin.

Ireland should look forward and not backwards!

• Advertisement

DUH! Who else do you think they're referring to you idiot? The fukking Queen of Sheba???

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

signostic wrote: »
    Was watching it live on RTE News, they chanted when the Duke was making his speech and when our President spoke although I could not make out what they were chanting..
    don't cut the dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Yes your correct that Gerry Adams has nothing to do with today but I asked if he was pushed on the subject would he agree or disagree with the protest
    i'm sure you could contact him and ask?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

The Guards shouldn't have allowed that situation to develop in the first place. There should have been a cordon around the Cemetery for such an important event and the "protesters" could have shouted to their heart's content from afar.
    why? not the guards duty to stop people from shouting, fine you disagree with them, but just because you do doesn't mean they should have been stopped from doing it/kept away, as i said the guards handeled it the right way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

budsalt wrote: »
    My grandfather was in the Dubs and fought at Galipolli in 1915 and later at the battle of the Somme with the legendary 16th Irish Div. His brother died at the battle of Jutland and I am extremely proud of both of them. My grandfather survived and died in 1963. He is buried in Glasnevin.

Ireland should look forward and not backwards!

My grandfather was a mechanic in the RAF its where he learned his trade. He joined as he didnt like what the germans were doing thankfully he came home from the war. These small minded people need to learn that we have moved on as a country. The british were the only ones who gave us a generous loan with no strings attached when the country got itself into its current mess. The way I see the British people these days are they are our cousins sometimes we don't get on with them but they are ok and will help out when needed. We have more in common with the UK than any other country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭LeBash

You do know as an Irish person you are all regarded as republicans? Lol

Who said im Irish?

Strazdas wrote: »
    Which is what happened when the Queen and President McAleese visited the Garden of Remembrance for example.

exactly, and it was discusting, our whole city was more or less in lock down for an old woman who is irrelevant and has no power.
    Strazdas wrote: »
    It would have been an utter disgrace if those scumbags had been allowed disrupt the wreath laying ceremony (which was actually honouring the people of 1916 and the War of Independence).

maybe, but they had more of a right to be there then the queen or other members of the british royal family

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

maybe, but they had more of a right to be there then the queen or other members of the british royal family
    :pac:
    So which one were you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

It was only locked down because of a bunch of idiots who still believe bombs and death get results...and it was also locked down because Obama was calling too (but that is probably okay...)

can I meet you in central Dublin and you can give me a keepsake from the past that you seem to be stuck in...

• Advertisement

Wasn't it the PSNI that protected that pedophile? =/

Did the victim not confide with police on a few occasions only to be ignored by inspectors that were more interested in what she had to say about Gerry Adams?

Great bunch of lads
    thats exactly it, however any excuse to bash gerry adams

Advertisement