Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines plane shot down in Ukraine near Russian border[Mod warning post#193

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

AdMMM wrote: »
    Would the plane have been equipped with any system that would have detected the radar missile lock and been able to take any action? Or would it have been completely by surprise?

Common (civilian) airliners-with the exception of El Al fleet- do not have any detection systems for this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

AdMMM wrote: »
    Would the plane have been equipped with any system that would have detected the radar missile lock and been able to take any action? Or would it have been completely by surprise?

If yo look at the BUK SA11 missile system which is alleged to have been used to shoot down the aircraft, they are 16 feet in height and travel as 2,800mph approx, no civilian aircraft would have had time to avoid an impact.

See Janes defence website for spec.
    http://www.janes.com/article/40907/missile-profile-9k37-buk

http://www.janes.com/article/40907/missile-profile-9k37-buk

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

The coincidences on this crash are eerie(I'm not suggesting any conspiracy theories whatsoever, just pointing them out.)

MH 17 - Crashed on the 17/07/2014

315055.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

From RTÉ http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0718/631606-malaysia-airlines-ukraine/

One of the passengers on board MH17 was an Irishwoman who had been living in Australia.

The woman, aged in her 50s, was living in Perth in western Australia. She had two children.

Originally from Lucan in Dublin, the woman was returning to Australia from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

The airway runs in a south east direction, if Putin happened to be on an aircraft in that area, wouldn't it make sense for that aircraft to be heading north east ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I can't imagine the flight recorders will give much useful information here?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭e92335i

I do a fair bit of travel to that side of the world, its genuinely scary that this could happen. Agree with above poster, not sure how much can be gained from the black box aside from exact time of impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

sully2010 wrote: »
    The coincidences on this crash are eerie(I'm not suggesting any conspiracy theories whatsoever, just pointing them out.)

MH 17 - Crashed on the 17/07/2014

315055.PNG

Mad alright - the world does throw up some mad number wobblers at times. And that's normally enough to get some people going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

e92335i wrote: »
    I do a fair bit of travel to that side of the world, its genuinely scary that this could happen. Agree with above poster, not sure how much can be gained from the black box aside from exact time of impact.

They will get time of impact, proof of impact of a in-flight object etc theres a lot of information the boxes will contain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Worth a watch/listen. The absurdity of one of their purported excuses is harrowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 whenever

andy_g wrote: »
    They will get time of impact, proof of impact of a in-flight object etc theres a lot of information the boxes will contain.
    An aviation 'expert' on P Kenny also said the cockpit voice recorder may give a sound recording of the explosion. The risetime of an explosion is apparently strongly correlated to the type of explosive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.R.

donvito99 wrote: »

Worth a watch/listen. The absurdity of one of their purported excuses is harrowing.

Regnum says that this recording was made a day before plane was shot down:

http://www.regnum.ru/news/polit/1827188.html#ixzz37pfgUuuj

If you download video from youtube to your comp and then open it with for example Windows media classic you will be able to see date and time. Here is screenshot where you can see that video was made on 16.07.2014 at 19:11:

http://www.regnum.ru/showpicture/?id=1827188&pic=1

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

S.R. wrote: »

If you download video from youtube to your comp and then open it with for example Windows media classic you will be able to see date and time. Here is screenshot where you can see that video was made on 16.07.2014 at 19:11:

I wouldn't get too excited about the time stamp on the video. It may just be showing that the clock on the computer/camera was improperly set. The conspiracy theorists have a ball with this sort of thing. Loads of examples, Sandy hook etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

S.R. wrote: »

So they were psychic? the timestamps clearly irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Exactly, how will they explain that one if it was made the day before ???

So they KNEW a Malaysia Airlines commercial jet would crash ??

http://www.mmnews.de/index.php/etc/19144-mh17-angebliche-youtube-

Google translate:

The alleged radio conversations of the rebels, who talk about the firing of MH17 are obviously fake. Moreover, they were even uploaded a day before the crash of the machine on Youtube. - Infected actually the Ukraine after the crash?

How deep the Ukrainian government is involved in the crash of MH17? Today purported radio interview recordings of the rebels were published. This should prove that the Russians and the separatists are behind the launch.
    However, a detailed analysis of the video shows: the alleged conversations were uploaded one day before the crash and released on July 18. This results in an immense scandal could develop: Did the Ukrainian authorities about that the aircraft should be shot? Have you already prepared for propaganda purposes, to give the separatists to blame?
    On the Youtube video is available as uploading date 16.7. 19:10 clock (evening before the crash)
    Release date: 18.7 out occurs at 0:09 clock
    The video was apparently also deleted in the meantime, but was called over 800 times and could be found on the cache again. Everything speaks thus that Ukrainian authorities apparently knew that a plane is shot down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Moreover, they were even uploaded a day before the crash of the machine on Youtube

The problem you conspiracists have is you have to change facts and lie to suit your theory. The video which has nearly 600k views now on youtube was uploaded yesterday (17th July 2014). The sources you have provided are all Russian anyone who glanced overnight on RT can see the bias and how Russian networks are trying to pin it on the Ukrainians, ffs the state Russian broadcaster's IP Address was tracked editing wikipedia changing text to say Ukrainians were responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Octavianus

Timetamps aren't very reliable. I have text messages dated 2017.

The video makes reference to a number of specific details: the town the plane came down in, the general state and spread of debris, a specific document of one of the passengers, and reports of it being a Ukranian plane that were on tv at the time.

To suggest that anyone could have planned it ahead of time and gotten all of that right is pretty ridiculous

Jack1985 wrote: »
    The problem you conspiracists have is you have to change facts and lie to suit your theory. The video which has nearly 600k views now on youtube was uploaded yesterday (17th July 2014). The sources you have provided are all Russian anyone who glanced overnight on RT can see the bias and how Russian networks are trying to pin it on the Ukrainians, ffs the state Russian broadcaster's IP Address was tracked editing wikipedia changing text to say Ukrainians were responsible.

http://www.presstv.com/detail/2013/07/12/313399/conspiracy-theorists-vs-govt-dupes/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Octavianus wrote: »

The video makes reference to a number of specific details: the town the plane came down in, the general state and spread of debris, a specific document of one of the passengers, and reports of it being a Ukranian plane that were on tv at the time.

To suggest that anyone could have planned it ahead of time and gotten all of that right is pretty ridiculous

Hey less of that common sense and logical reasoning. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Octavianus wrote: »

And to go flat out here, all digital media and signatures need to be forensically examined at facilities that can determine if pixels and/or frames have been messed with.

Its unfortunate to say that it is most likely that you do NOT believe what media you look at in this day and age!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Several points, none of them in any specific order.

The routes over Ukraine were in use until this event, and they were as heavily used as the routes over Ireland to the USA, vast numbers of flights from many countries used this corridor on their way to and from Europe and the Middle East and beyond.

The Ukraine authorities had denied that any of their SAM systems were in the hands of the rebel forces, and it has also now been reported that Ukraine soldiers "disabled" the SAM systems before leaving. We have no way to confirm which story is accurate. As the equipment is Soviet manufactured, it would have been relatively simple for the rebel forces to get access to the necessary parts and skills to repair the SAM system unless they had been destroyed by the Ukrainian actions, which was not the implication of the reports.

There are many people whos hearts are broken by this event, and they are not just relatives of the people on the flight. The staff of MAH have to be struggling to come to terms with a second massive tragedy within such a short period of time, but the harsh reality is that there are a huge number of flights that crossed that area yesterday, and any one of them could just as easily have been the target, and the nature of the route over Ukraine is that most of the aircraft in that area are 777/A330 or larger, there are also a lot of 380's flying in that area on a regular basis.

It has however been implied that if SAM systems were in the hands of the rebel forces, the Ukraine authorities would have closed all the airspace, not just up to FL320. Hopefully, that will be a part of the investigation of this tragic event, and lessons will be learned from what on the face of it is a tragedy that should not have happened.

We should not be under any illusions, the people making decisions about routing will still be trying to get as cheap a route as possible, and the Ukraine ATC system would not have wanted to close their airspace, as they will be getting significant money from the ATC charges that are paid by overflights, so there are significant commercial pressures on all concerned, and the situation in Ukraine is still being seen as a "local" issue, which in hindsight may turn out to have been a tragic mistake. The implication of the reports being made at present are that there was no perceived risk to overflights from SAM systems, but clearly, that was an invalid perception, which has resulted in a massive loss of innocent lives.

We have to hope that this was a mistake by an individual who did not have the right information or skills to determine the validity of what he was about to do. If that is not the case, then the whole concept of international air travel has just been dealt a body blow in terms of where it is or is not safe to fly.

We can only hope that the loss of nearly 300 innocent and uninvolved people will make all the parties involved in the Ukraine stop and think very carefully about what they are involved with.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

afatbollix wrote: »
    Looks like it broke up in mid air
    Would I be right in guessing that the BUK system would skin the aircraft before launching the missile. Then the warhead would proximity detonate thus shatterong the fuselage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Tenger wrote: »
    Would I be right in guessing that the BUK system would skin the aircraft before launching the missile. Then the warhead would proximity detonate thus shatterong the fuselage?

There was an 'expert' on either sky or BBC today and he confirmed that they do proximity detonate. Makes it even worse for the passengers because if it missed the wings which judging by the footage it did then it would've been like an explosive decompression and sadly leaving almost all of the pax to be fully aware of what was happening :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I see the rag newspapers going with front page headlines "Putins victims" with pictures of the souls that passed away. They love to make out the Russians as the enemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I have a long haul flight in 2 weeks time and I have already posted that I am nervous about the flight but I have come to the conclusion that if its your time its you time, you cant control your fate, although I don't believe in fate as in your pre destined to have something happen to you, its all chance ,the thing is people die everyday in car accidents, health issues, work accidents etc, people have died today who weren't in planes but had they been they would be alive

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

jimbis wrote: »
    There was an 'expert' on either sky or BBC today and he confirmed that they do proximity detonate. Makes it even worse for the passengers because if it missed the wings which judging by the footage it did then it would've been like an explosive decompression and sadly leaving almost all of the pax to be fully aware of what was happening :(
    I disagree. I was thinking that a prox explosion would shatter the fuselage....any pax not killed by it would be unconsciousness in under 20 secs due decompression. A wing hit may have left the fuselage intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I see the rag newspapers going with front page headlines "Putins victims" with pictures of the souls that passed away. They love to make out the Russians as the enemy.

The sun already ran with 'PUTINS MISSILE' this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Tenger wrote: »
    I disagree. I was thinking that a prox explosion would shatter the fuselage....any pax not killed by it would be unconsciousness in under 20 secs due decompression. A wing hit may have left the fuselage intact.
    The main fuselage/tail section distance might help clarify that. If reports that people were falling from the sky are correct then it may have been a fuselage hit. Its academic at this stage though. I sincerely hope they all reached a peaceful state before they died. Puts my problems into perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Gringo180 wrote: »
    The sun already ran with 'PUTINS MISSILE' this morning

I have little time for those Rags and there sensationalist headlines. But I cant see how anyone can defend the Russian government in all of this. Even before the horrific events happened yesterday they have been up to there necks in stirring trouble in Eastern Ukraine to suit there own agenda, costing countless lives.
    Don't get me wrong though I have little time for Americas false outrage in all of this as well after some of the crimes they have been involved in.

Advertisement