Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    It's terrible. I hate it, and it is everywhere!

I have to be honest, I DID like the song (I like Demi Lovato anyway), but my son has me turned right off it the way he goes around singing it connnnstantly... like a broken record :(

Christ, I can't wait till his voice breaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I have to be honest, I DID like the song (I like Demi Lovato anyway), but my son has me turned right off it the way he goes around singing it connnnstantly... like a broken record :(

Christ, I can't wait till his voice breaks.

Don't mind her!

Idina Menzel is your only man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Or Adele Dazim as John Travolta calls her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Jeez I think it's a great song - particularly for a kids' movie! :)
    It's 80s power ballad-tastic, which can only be a good thing. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

I don't know if this in an unpopular opinion here but I just don't understand how David Letterman is famous. He's huge in the states and has hosted one of the biggest talk shows on TV for years. I thought he was some Radio presenter turned TV host who worked his way up despite the fact he couldn't host a show to save his life. But with all the retirement stuff I realised he was a stand up comedian and is still seen as a comedian and funny guy. I don't get it. He's not only not funny, he's not even close to being funny.

He's like a guy who bought a joke book when he was a kid and his parents laughed convincing him he was funny but never understood or bothered to learn how to be funny. And whatever grasp he had on the notion of humour has long since disappeared due to the audience laughing on cue at every painfully unfunny thing he's done over the last few decades. Dane Cook has a better grasp of comedy than Letterman despite the fact he's just a bad actor pretending to be funny.

I get different types of comedy appealing to different people but I just don't get a poor comedian unable to do the comedy he's trying to do and being that famous as a comedian.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Most Irish people are very unfortunate looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

OldNotWIse wrote: »

Worthy of Sir Humphrey Appleby! Now - do we mean "unfortunate" in the socio-economic or the aesthetic sense, or both?? :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Ba chuma liom. Na bac leat. Do bheal bhoct féin. Go bfhuaira dia orainn

gugleguy wrote: »
    Ba chuma liom. Na bac leat. Do bheal bhoct féin. Go bfhuaira dia orainn

Language, Timothy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I have zero interest in Harry Potter and never will

• Advertisement

IrishAlice wrote: »
    The song "Let it Go" from Frozen is not that good.

ugh i hear that song everywhere

along with the HAPPY song :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭ShiftStorm

Dolbert wrote: »
    I have zero interest in Harry Potter and never will

And ^that^ is why we are friends. Same goes for Lord of the Rings for me. I barely made it through the first movie :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

ShiftStorm wrote: »
    And ^that^ is why we are friends. Same goes for Lord of the Rings for me. I barely made it through the first movie :(

:D I fell asleep for most of the Hobbit, three butt-numbing hours of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Dolbert wrote: »
    :D I fell asleep for most of the Hobbit, three butt-numbing hours of it

I absolutely loved the Lord of the Rings, but oh god was the Hobbit awful...

It should've been one film, it was an absolutely tiny book compared to LotR, but they padded it out and dragged the story out so much it's not even funny.

Links234 wrote: »

It should've been one film, it was an absolutely tiny book compared to LotR, but they padded it out and dragged the story out so much it's not even funny.

Have to disagree here. The size of the book has nothing to do with it imo. I don't think they padded it out more than just included more. They have added in stuff barely mentioned in the book, expanded on the history and used the movie to set the stage for LOTR so its a proper prequel to the LOTR trilogy.

I don't know if this in an unpopular opinion here but I just don't understand how David Letterman is famous. He's huge in the states and has hosted one of the biggest talk shows on TV for years. I thought he was some Radio presenter turned TV host who worked his way up despite the fact he couldn't host a show to save his life. But with all the retirement stuff I realised he was a stand up comedian and is still seen as a comedian and funny guy. I don't get it. He's not only not funny, he's not even close to being funny.

He's like a guy who bought a joke book when he was a kid and his parents laughed convincing him he was funny but never understood or bothered to learn how to be funny. And whatever grasp he had on the notion of humour has long since disappeared due to the audience laughing on cue at every painfully unfunny thing he's done over the last few decades. Dane Cook has a better grasp of comedy than Letterman despite the fact he's just a bad actor pretending to be funny.

I get different types of comedy appealing to different people but I just don't get a poor comedian unable to do the comedy he's trying to do and being that famous as a comedian.

The format of talkshows in the US is kind of grating, I'm not really a big fan of any of them. 'The David Letterman Show' really is the David Letterman Show - it's all about the host, nothing to do with the guests, which is why Graham Norton is better than any of them. At least he gives his guests a chance to show their personalities. That all said, I think Letterman can be hilarious to watch in interviews sometimes. He doesn't even try to hide his contempt for some of the people who appear on his show. You watch Jimmy Fallon and he's sucking up to everyone who appears on his show, acting like they're the funniest, most interesting people ever. Switch over to David Letterman and he can't even mask what he really thinks of the likes of Paris Hilton. He doesn't seem as much of a fake 'I wanna get along with everyone' kinda guy like the likes of Jimmy Fallon.

The format of talkshows in the US is kind of grating, I'm not really a big fan of any of them. 'The David Letterman Show' really is the David Letterman Show - it's all about the host, nothing to do with the guests, which is why Graham Norton is better than any of them. At least he gives his guests a chance to show their personalities. That all said, I think Letterman can be hilarious to watch in interviews sometimes. He doesn't even try to hide his contempt for some of the people who appear on his show. You watch Jimmy Fallon and he's sucking up to everyone who appears on his show, acting like they're the funniest, most interesting people ever. Switch over to David Letterman and he can't even mask what he really thinks of the likes of Paris Hilton. He doesn't seem as much of a fake 'I wanna get along with everyone' kinda guy like the likes of Jimmy Fallon.

I'm not a huge fan of the American talk shows either, I don't particularly think anyone of them are great.

Letterman not hiding his contempt for those he looks down on just highlights the fact he's a lazy, talentless asshole. He's gotten to the stage where he can be a shít comedian, shít interviewer and just be an asshole and they'll hold up a sign and the audience will hoot and holler and they'll pump that shít out on TV. Its not a good thing when a TV host's best quality is the fact he's an asshole :D

Fallon as fake as he is will roll will the guests though and get something entertaining out of it rather just sit there looking contrary and making bad jokes or looking irritated like Letterman. He's a lot more like Norton in that respect. He's trying to do his job and make good TV instead of sitting there being a smug asshole expecting everyone to lap it up like Letterman.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Game of Thrones is crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Started out really well with just black coffee and lunch was huge bowl of spinach leaves with cherry tomatoes and mozarrella...then I caved and ate an entire bar of Milka with oreo :mad:

Started out really well with just black coffee and lunch was huge bowl of spinach leaves with cherry tomatoes and mozarrella...then I caved and ate an entire bar of Milka with oreo :mad:

Sounds like an unpopular choice for lunch alright :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Links234 wrote: »

Also, why is Legolas in the movie? AFAIK he wasn't even in the book! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

McChubbin wrote: »

Coz he's awesome! Look at him jumping and shooting arrows and stuff! Yay Legolas!

I'm not a huge fan of the American talk shows either, I don't particularly think anyone of them are great.

Letterman not hiding his contempt for those he looks down on just highlights the fact he's a lazy, talentless asshole. He's gotten to the stage where he can be a shít comedian, shít interviewer and just be an asshole and they'll hold up a sign and the audience will hoot and holler and they'll pump that shít out on TV. Its not a good thing when a TV host's best quality is the fact he's an asshole :D

Fallon as fake as he is will roll will the guests though and get something entertaining out of it rather just sit there looking contrary and making bad jokes or looking irritated like Letterman. He's a lot more like Norton in that respect. He's trying to do his job and make good TV instead of sitting there being a smug asshole expecting everyone to lap it up like Letterman.

It's not really that he's just lazy and an asshole though. Letterman's shtick has always been cynicism and sarcasm. That's the way the show has always been. But he has and does do good interviews with people he likes or is interested in. His interviews with Howard Stern are always good, Bill Murray's appearances are great. He got a very memorable interview out of Madonna. As well as that, his show has been used as a platform for plenty of bizarre moments like the Joaquin Phoenix interview, Crispin Glover and Andy Kaufmann. I also remember the interview he did will Bill Hicks' mother a couple of years back too where he had her on to talk about Bill's life and apologised to her for refusing to air Hicks' performance on his show, a performance that could have launched Hicks to a much larger audience before his death. With that in mind, his show also provides a great platform for upcoming stand-ups, not to mention all the great musical guests he's had over the years.

His thing has always been to be a bit of a smart arse, and I guess it depends on if you like that or not. Personally, I much prefer it to the fake niceness that you see on so many talk shows. I mean, who actually wants to interview or listen to Paris Hilton? I like that Letterman doesn't pretend the likes of her have anything interesting to say or really deserved to be listened to. I find it much easier to abide that than Fallon's fake laughing at people who aren't funny. But then he does do good interviews with people he actually thinks have something to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

McChubbin wrote: »

He was in the books.

It's not really that he's just lazy and an asshole though. Letterman's shtick has always been cynicism and sarcasm. That's the way the show has always been. But he has and does do good interviews with people he likes or is interested in. His interviews with Howard Stern are always good, Bill Murray's appearances are great. He got a very memorable interview out of Madonna. As well as that, his show has been used as a platform for plenty of bizarre moments like the Joaquin Phoenix interview, Crispin Glover and Andy Kaufmann. I also remember the interview he did will Bill Hicks' mother a couple of years back too where he had her on to talk about Bill's life and apologised to her for refusing to air Hicks' performance on his show, a performance that could have launched Hicks to a much larger audience before his death. With that in mind, his show also provides a great platform for upcoming stand-ups, not to mention all the great musical guests he's had over the years.

His thing has always been to be a bit of a smart arse, and I guess it depends on if you like that or not. Personally, I much prefer it to the fake niceness that you see on so many talk shows. I mean, who actually wants to interview or listen to Paris Hilton? I like that Letterman doesn't pretend the likes of her have anything interesting to say or really deserved to be listened to. I find it much easier to abide that than Fallon's fake laughing at people who aren't funny. But then he does do good interviews with people he actually thinks have something to say.

I've watched most of Bill Murray's interviews and they were great but that was down to Murray 100%, although they did seem to be friends which maybe made Bill make more of an effort. The fact his show has been used for the bizarre stuff and has its moments is because its as big as it is. You don't have a show that big and run for that long without having some good and memorable moments.

If people don't want to watch Paris Hilton or Letterman doesn't like her then don't get her on the show. He's not exactly another employee, as you said its his show, its about him. Personally I'll take Jimmy Fallon being fake and decent over an asshole like Letterman being an asshole to a guest on his show. If thats his Schtick then its the Schtick of the lazy and talentless to be an asshole to entertain people. But I don't think it matters either way as I'm not saying his show isn't as good any anyone else's. None of them would be on my to watch list tbh.

My issue is the the fact Letterman has attained such a status as he has on the back of being a comedian despite being what I think is a really really bad comedian. The sarcasm, cynicism and smart arsery you mention from what I've seen have been utterly bereft of comedy. Given he's famous plenty obviously find him funny and brilliant but personally I don't get it. Each to their own and all but most comics even if I don't like them I understand the draw. With Letterman I don't find him funny in any way shape or form which is why I'm a little baffled about his fame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Suas11 wrote: »
    He was in the books.
    That's not how I remember it... :confused:

Suas11 wrote: »
    He was in the books.

Don't think he was ever mentioned in The Hobbit. He just happened to be a prince from Mirkwood so they wrote him in for the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Warper wrote: »
    Game of Thrones is crap

Couldn't agree more. Absolute rubbish. Can't help but notice a correlation between people who enjoy The Big Bang Theory and Game of Thrones. They're also the type of people who'll refer to themselves as a "nerd" and think it's cool.

I avoid those people like the plague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

Couldn't agree more. Absolute rubbish. Can't help but notice a correlation between people who enjoy The Big Bang Theory and Game of Thrones. They're also the type of people who'll refer to themselves as a "nerd" and think it's cool.

I avoid those people like the plague.

Love GOT, hate Big Bang theory, it's in no way funny. And I'm not and have never considered myself a nerd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Love GOT, hate Big Bang theory, it's in no way funny. And I'm not and have never considered myself a nerd.

Samesies!

@ NegativeCreep: They're two massively popular shows, it hardly takes a outstandingly insightful intellect to notice that a lot of people like both. I wouldn't go reading too much into that correlation, honestly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement