Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

tk123 wrote: »
    Get the dogs a lunch box each and put their second meal in so she won't be able to decide on the portions herself? You could add veg too and bulk the meals out so they look bigger - we do that for Bailey since Lucy gets about 4 times as much as him lol!

Wish I could, but I don't feel like it's my place to be doing that (the woman in question is my partner's mother) all I can do is tell her what I think.

It took 2 vets to say that they "liked their food" in order for her to change her feeding habits with them. I had to really drill in new feeding habits. I pay for all the dog food, yet she still buys these crappy Lidl dog treats that I don't trust. I just want our dogs to be healthy and not to have any weight related health issues crop up later in life, they are not obese but they are overweight. The problem with her is that she loves the dogs with food, they want her attention? They want food. She comes home and they are happy to see her? They want food. Ugh.

The veg idea is great, don't know how I could execute the idea though!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm taking one of my parents cats to the vet next week. He's been visiting them for about 10 months and spends most of his time there so as far as I'm concerned he's their cat. He's only about 2 years old but is losing a lot of weight and his fur has become patchy in places. I saw him today and if I saw him walking down the street he's so thin I'd think he was homeless.

Other than that he eats like a horse and is full of energy. I'm not sure it's going to have a happy ending:( Honestly, I really wish they'd take their cats to the vets themselves, I always end up doing this with strays they take on and it's me with the cat when it has to be pts. I don't mind taking them, it's just that I think the person/people they know and love should be the ones with them at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

If someone surrenders a dog to a pound/rescue with papers, do the pound/rescue normally hold back the papers? I see on facebook that a pound is rehoming a purebred dog with papers, thankfully he's neutered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

enrichment enrichment enrichment Is this a new buzzword or something - every other (dog/pet) FB page I see is suddenly going on about enrichment?!

Rant over.... Lucy is 2 kgs heavier than Bailey and she's really slim and muscly! I hope the annoying nurse who told me she wouldn't grow properly if she wasn't fed Hills is there next time we're over so i can gloat lol!!

I had a long afternoon of external painting, thankfully the cats stayed away from the wet paint. Poppy looked terrified but still stalked me around the garden, galloping away from me whenever I walked towards her. The other 3 didn't even surface from their sleeping spots to see what I was doing, until I put a chicken on to roast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Amazing the powers of a roasting chicken!

I put one on this evening too, 2 dogs and 3 cats in various spots around the kitchen (even made my teenager get off the sofa, sore from cycling and swimming all day!)

It's a tuna tin opening or a sandwich being made in this house, I could swear they can read our thoughts because the hungry pack of hounds (well a hungry cat and dog) are circling before I'v even fully decided to make myself a sandwich :D

I'm being driven demented at work by a guy I'm working with. We work in pairs and rely on each other to both do our work (I stop, he has to stop and vice versa). Well every 3 minutes he has to stop and check his phone to send a message, check facebook or take a selfie :confused: It means I'm left sitting there twidling my thumbs waiting for him. Multiple managers, HR and even the owner is aware of this yet he still continues to do it so it appears nobody has actually spoken to him yet. Finding it very hard not to reach across, fling his phone across the room and give him a good kick up the arse. /rant :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

^^ Sounds very like my assistant manager in my last job! It drove me insane!

We have swallows (I think that's what they are) living on the side of our house and all the broken eggs were out on the pavement, there's 4 in total :) the cats are so frustrated they can't reach the next :D

:D:D:D Our foster kitten's new mum texted us a pic of Molly. She has grown so big and even more beautiful. It's the first pic we've seen of her since we rehomed her. She looks so happy and content. Absolutely delighted to see her so happy:)

SingItOut wrote: »
    ^^ Sounds very like my assistant manager in my last job! It drove me insane!

We have swallows (I think that's what they are) living on the side of our house and all the broken eggs were out on the pavement, there's 4 in total :) the cats are so frustrated they can't reach the next :D

It's incredibly rude as well as irritating! We have house martens (I think) on our house, think we've only 1 nest this year, used to have 3 or 4. They're driving the cat mad swooping in and out of the nest :D They make an awful mess though.
    :D:D:D Our foster kitten's new mum texted us a pic of Molly. She has grown so big and even more beautiful. It's the first pic we've seen of her since we rehomed her. She looks so happy and content. Absolutely delighted to see her so happy:)

I remember Molly was found within the same few weeks our Jesse was found so there about the same age and very similar looking :) Kind of shocked me the the other day how big she's gotten, nearly a fully grown cat now :eek:

• Advertisement

Zooplus really need to improve their packaging. I just got a delivery of Dry food and cat litter, when I slit through the tape with the blade of a scissors I accidentally slit through the back of the bag of dry food, it's just as well I had a spare container to put it in. It's often the same with cans that arrive dented.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Cream is a verrrrrry unhappy boy the last couple of days, the suncream is back out for his poor little ears! Now any time we go to rub his head he cringes because he thinks he's getting more put on!!

Just dropped my phone and shattered the screen! I got quoted €80 from three different shops to get it fixed... I'm starting to like the broken mosaic design :pac:

SingItOut wrote: »
    Just dropped my phone and shattered the screen! I got quoted €80 from three different shops to get it fixed... I'm starting to like the broken mosaic design :pac:

Check out syncron.ie - the do a mail in service ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Got paddling pool for the dogs today to help keep them cool. Only way I could get them in was to sit in there myself and give them hugs while they dipped their back feet while cleaning my face :rolleyes: :pac:

Got paddling pool for the dogs today to help keep them cool. Only way I could get them in was to sit in there myself and give them hugs while they dipped their back feet while cleaning my face :rolleyes: :pac:

Oh I got one months ago to put by!! Will have to put it up at the weekend. I've a video of baby Lucy unsure of what to do with the one we had last year - will be intersecting to see if she dives into this one lol!! :P

I'm starting to feel a bit guilty about Lucy - we walk very early in the morning and then in the evenings don't usually go to the park so she never gets to play with other dogs except Bailey and my friend's dog the odd time he wants to play. She's now starting to get very excited when she sees another dog which isn't easy - she's 31.5kgs of muscle and very strong. Think I'm going to have to either take her to a social hour or to the dog park in St Annes (which drives me mad with dogs running amok! :o)

We put the Summer duvet on our bed last night. Toby came up and jumped on the bed and got a shock at the different texture. The usual duvet is a feather one, this one is just a cheap one from Dunnes. He leapt in the air not sure what was going on as soon as he landed on the bed:D He decided he'd slum it and stay on the bed though.

It's funny to see how they all react differently to the heat. Toby doesn't go out in it and drinks lots of water. Felix and Poppy would live out in it and Jazzy doesn't go out til evening time and sits on the concrete under the parasol. Poppy is black and Felix has so much black in him I don't know how they do it.

It's funny to see how they all react differently to the heat. Toby doesn't go out in it and drinks lots of water. Felix and Poppy would live out in it and Jazzy doesn't go out til evening time and sits on the concrete under the parasol. Poppy is black and Felix has so much black in him I don't know how they do it.

Same here!! Lucy from the day we got her wanted to be outside lying on the slabs/in the shade cooling off. Bailey often bakes himself out in the sun - we usually step in and take him into the shade!! Last week at hydro I thought it was too warm to leave Lucy in the car after her swim so she stayed in while Bailey swam. Well she gave out barking because he was getting all the praise and attention and didn't settle until she could come and stand up looking into the pool to see where he was lol!! She seemed amazed at his swimming skills!! :P

311273.jpg

Same here!! Lucy from the day we got her wanted to be outside lying on the slabs/in the shade cooling off. Bailey often bakes himself out in the sun - we usually step in and take him into the shade!! Last week at hydro I thought it was too warm to leave Lucy in the car after her swim so she stayed in while Bailey swam. Well she gave out barking because he was getting all the praise and attention and didn't settle until she could come and stand up looking into the pool to see where he was lol!! She seemed amazed at his swimming skills!! :P

311273.jpg

Ahh, Lucy is beautiful:) I think this is Poppy's first Summer where she can get outdoors. I'd say she was an indoor apartment cat. She only goes to the front and back gardens and doesn't have any interest in going further.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Twitch is in his ball for a run and we have a little fan set up at floor level to cool the place down. He keeps goin over and sitting I front of it. I think he likes the wind in his glorious long hair!!

• Advertisement

Yaaay!! I got my nice big freezer last night - ready to be filled with a delivery of food for the doggies :D Now I need to go out at lunchtime and buy a ton of lunch boxes lol!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Yaaay!! I got my nice big freezer last night - ready to be filled with a delivery of food for the doggies :D Now I need to go out at lunchtime and buy a ton of lunch boxes lol!! :P

dont buy them - what about collecting all the takeaway boxes that everyone has stashed in their presses - I could give you 20 or so!! - start collecting your butter-spread-substitute boxes, your icecream boxes, your soup boxes etc etc and all those plastic food tubs that we have nothing to do with when empty

I've already got takeaway boxed but need more bigger boxes. We'll probably reclaim a press now once I take all the boxes out lol!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I've already got takeaway boxed but need more bigger boxes. We'll probably reclaim a press now once I take all the boxes out lol!! :p

:D lucky you!

It's interesting to see the different reactions to a new neighbourhood cat. We've only seen it twice and from what I saw the other night she and Jazzy are pals. Jazzy is neutered and I say 'she' as he'd chase a male cat off. Toby and Poppy are indifferent but Felix is keeping a nightly vigil in the back garden making sure she doesn't come in the garden. He's clearly got the paw down firmly on the issue of new arrivals to the family.

Our 4 will do us now. Jazzy was quite happily sprawled on a neighbours shed roof while she sat next to him, she's a much darker tabby than he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Feed both dogs Burns original but saw the pet shop had Burns Pork and Potato today thinking ooh potato maybe better for them then rice bought the largest bag only to discover afterwards it contains 27% maize :(

Why don't they call it pork potato and maize! I don't like the idea of feeding maize now a fifty mile round trip back to the pet store is on the cards. Anyone have any experience of the potato and pork food?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'm a bad person...

I forgot Oliver's birthday today until 8pm, gave both dogs some chicken and doggy biscuits.
    Can't believe he's 6 already, still a big pup though!

I'm the most hated person in vogues world today, I took a baby mouse she had caught and released it back into the field this evening.

A lady my mam works with shows her two Alaskan malamutes and decided this year was the right time to breed their first litter. Their were 10 puppies born and all are perfect, Their just over one month old and the cutest "little" things! There's only two that aren't reserved and my mam is going crazy for one, aside from not having the space or money I've actually become the parent explaining to her why she's not allowed one :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Normally blue doesn't want anything to do with me. But for some reason if I'm up late watching tv about two or three in the morning she will come sit on top of me for rubs and purr away for a few minutes before running away again. Normally that kind of affection is reserved just for my boyfriend. Makes me feel extra special :p

• Advertisement

I cleaned Toby's bum last night now he loves to follow me to the loo for leg rubs and a drink from the bathroom sink, it's a routine now. For some reason he wants lots of fuss but only in the bathroom. I picked him up and put him on my lap and got a swift nip to the wrist, pay back for the bum cleaning I think.

Felix woke me at 6ish wrestling my feet. He loves the sun, it really energises him. Our kitchen is a wreck at the moment with stuff everywhere and ceiling paint sploshes on the floor. Doing the gloss work later, hopefully the 4 of them will avoid getting it on themselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement