Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pride 2014

Options
  • 05-06-2014 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,564 ✭✭✭✭

Digging the Dublin Pride Parade thread up for this from facebook. http://theoutmost.com/news/interview-dublin-pride/

From what I'm reading, after the re-routed Pride Festival Parade reaches Merrion Square, there will be no set location there for those attending it to gather at for social purposes, as in previous years. The only indication of a gathering at Merrion Square is Chapter 9. Maybe there will be stalls and music, but it doesn't mention them/seem so. Chapter 5 points out that there will be NO bar at Merrion Square this year. There is (at least) an implicit message to go to a pub if you want to socialize after the parade. If that is what is planned, I'm saddened. I know that if you set a precedent, the licencing-powers-that-be (DCC) will have that in it's armoury to limit next years festival and parade, however cynical that seem's. it lessen's their workload and will denude us of a power to make things happen in our favour.

.........................................................................................................................................................................

THE QUESTION FOR PRIDE GOING FORWARD, I THINK, IS HOW DO YOU PUT ON AN EVENT THAT’S A COMMUNITY-BASED, YET CATERS TO A VASTLY GROWING NUMBER OF PEOPLE? WHAT HAPPENED IN MERRION SQUARE LAST YEAR WAS THAT THE MAJORITY WHO STAYED IN THE DRINKING AREA WERE A BIT DIVORCED FROM THE COMMUNITY AND POLITICAL SPEECHES AND PERFORMANCES ON THE STAGE.

I noticed that myself, there was very much a place where people gathered and they didn’t go any further. But I think it can be a balance between the two things. This year because of the change in format, it will focus people’s attention much more on what we want people to focus on. It will open much more of Merrion Square and we have a public address system that will deal with the numbers there, rather than a small area right in front of the stage.

But for the future I think we can balance the frivolity of it with the political side of it, and hopefully next year we’ll have a lot to celebrate after the same-sex marriage referendum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

The main issue with Pride I think is how it is so focused around drinking, and not just that but a ton of money isn't going towards gay-friendly/gay-owned businesses. It's becoming more and more like a St. Patricks' Parade and people are going to it for the wrong reasons. I don't like to hang around for the evening just because it starts to descend into madness in areas. Think we as a community could do better than this. I imagine this year will be a little more serious given the events that happened in the last few months. Hope people do realise the purpose of Pride and the history behind it while still enjoying themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I have to agree with cyondiac, I don't see why there has to be a drinking section at all during a daytime festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I have to agree with cyondiac, I don't see why there has to be a drinking section at all during a daytime festival.

Because long ago it was decided that pride would be a celebration rather than just a demonstration.

So people do at pride what people generally do when celebrating and partying. Which like it or not is drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I imagine this year will be a little more serious given the events that happened in the last few months. Hope people do realise the purpose of Pride and the history behind it while still enjoying themselves.

What events are you talking about Cydoniac?

What events are you talking about Cydoniac?
    The whole Panti incident and RTE payout, Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Bill, Sochi and Russia, and a few smaller events. Along with it becoming a time where family and marriage are being legally discussed about, along with trans issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

The whole Panti incident and RTE payout, Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Bill, Sochi and Russia, and a few smaller events. Along with it becoming a time where family and marriage are being legally discussed about, along with trans issues.

Haha My mind was genuinely somehow drawing complete blanks! Whatever about the others, how could I have forgotten about Panti?!

Has a date actually been set for the referendum re SSM? Is it definitely going to be in 2015?

Not sure when exactly but it is happening in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Daith

The more serious march will be march for marriage. Pride has turned into a Gay Paddy's Day alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,564 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Ta Daith, hanging on for the next march.. Sunday 18th Aug from City Hall at 3PM. Not sure if that's the start-time or assembly time.

I agree that the drinking bouts after the parade are a bit silly, (maybe a sign of our assimilation into the normal on-street after-event drinking done at other events). I thought last year's Merrion Square village was well "policed" for personally-held alcohol at the entry points, so I assume that must have been a "must" stipulation for the committee. I'm thinking last year's village set-up must have been post-mortemed & a decision taken that NO alcohol sales would be licensed at the square. That might be better for it as a family-social affair in line with the "evolution" of our position in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Daith wrote: »
    The more serious march will be march for marriage. Pride has turned into a Gay Paddy's Day alright.

Dublin Pride is no different to other big 'Prides' around the world. They are becoming less about politics and lgbt issues and more about a large p*ss up. Whether that is a bad thing as society becomes increasingly more tolerant to lgbt people, I'm not sure.

Pride at least officially should aim to highlight lgbt issues and I think they will have a trickle effect even on those that are only out to get drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Am against the bar facilities at Pride?Merrion Sq., no need for them.

Last year the stage was basically ignored by most which was unfortunate as there were some good bands on and Pantis speech is to mos,t the highlight of the event.

The bars at Merrion Sq are over priced and over packed ,surely to god people can drink later on in the bars,the George ,Front Lounge,Pantibar ,Dragon ect

Given that (hopefully) next year we are going to have a referendum I think the speeches are of vital importance and deserve to be heard. Yes we have the March in August but so what.

Once they start to introduce bars at Pride marches it will no doubt get messy.

Time and a place for drinking IMO , and that is the above mentioned bars

Dublin Pride is no different to other big 'Prides' around the world. They are becoming less about politics and lgbt issues and more about a large p*ss up.

Pride at least officially should aim to highlight lgbt issues and I think they will have a trickle effect even on those that are only out to get drunk.
    My friend was at Vancouver Pride and said the atmosphere was entirely different, and the focus wasn't on alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Daith

My friend was at Vancouver Pride and said the atmosphere was entirely different, and the focus wasn't on alcohol.

Toronto Pride is similar. You can't drink on the street. Only in pubs. There was a park that you could drink in but you had to show your ID.

However most Irish events are focused on alcohol so it's more and Irish thing than a Gay Thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think that while the excess drinking and potential trouble that can arise at these events (I heard the open air Mother event in Meeting House Square last year had a bit of trouble with yobs and had to end abruptly) is regrettable, Pride is becoming more mainstream each year and yes, more like a Paddy's day parade or any mainstream festival or event. Is that necessarily a bad thing? I don't think so - I think there is a direct correlation between mainstream acceptance of Pride and mainstream acceptance of LGBTs in general which is why Pride has evolved this way. It is less about the political aspect as more and more LGBTs do not feel so disenfranchised, hence less attention to the speeches, marches and protests and more participation in the merriment and festive aspects of Pride.

I know one would argue that we shouldn't take for granted what has been so hard fought for and still being fought for but in a way, the fact that many of us LGBTs (particularly younger folk) can start taking such freedom, liberties and society's approval and acceptance of us for granted means that much of the battle has been won, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

It is great that some people can now begin to take inclusion for granted and Pride is now as much a big party as it is a march.

Even when things were bad and simply being gay here in Ireland was illegal the majority of LGBT people still didnt want to, or felt they couldnt. get into the politics of it all. It was a minority of people who could ever march as a demonstration of political protest for Pride and in defiance of mainstream sensibilities it was also always a party.
    I think its still a minority of people who are really interested in the political side of being LGBT, more are a bit interested in the politics especially where it effect them and a lot of people want to party.
    I dont think we can decide whether the politics or the party is the most important aspect by what constitutes the majority.
    I would like to see the political side of Pride maintaining a visible and important presence even thought it is outweighed by people just wanting to party.
    Merrion Square is not a suitable place for the end of the march, its too long and narrow. I wonder would it be possible to end it at the O2?

The party side of Pride is just as important as the political side and is just as much a part of its history as the political. When Stonewall happened in the 1960's there were Gay Political groups already active but it was when the Police moved into the bars on that night in New York for one more time that something just sparked off and there was a riot. It was ordinary bar dykes, drag queens. queers, rent boys, ordinary non political gays that rioted that night and sometimes the political types and assimilationists resent or forget that fact.
    On that note Id just like to say Pride started in a Bar, not sure what that says about Pride but you know what they say about relationships " If it starts in a bar it will probably end in a bar". :D

One thing Im scared of though is that it is when minorities begin to take things they have won for granted, that backlashes happen. I hope we dont see that here but if we do I hope we do join together and fight. ( thats the political head on me I just cant help it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I think something that needs to be mentioned is that it's not necessarily Pride that are calling the shots- the Gardai and DCC are heavily involved in making sure it's a family fun event- and Ireland has relatively strict public drinking laws.

I know I'm in a minority who doesn't really drink that much- and certainly not during the day. That's just me. But I don't want my day ruined by assholes who can't hold their drink who are pissed at 3 in the day. There's two sides to it.

I wouldnt like to see it turn into a drunken event either. Does a party atmosphere always have to mean people getting drunk. I dont drink either and would prefer the day events outdoors to be drink free but that doesnt mean its not a party and if others want to go on and drink in bars etc as part of the Pride festival I would expect that to happen. Last year I couldnt get to the speeches area I was too far back and missed it all and thats one of the parts I like best.
    If the Parade ended at the O2 people could gather to hear the speeches and watch the entertainment the place is designed for that and everyone would be able to hear and get some kind of a view. There would be enough people to fill the venue and drinking could be controlled like at any other event there. Would that be possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I think its an absolute shame that this is allowed go ahead, the whole event is just an anti-social disgrace every year.

Do you mean Pride as a whole or just the drinking part?

Ambersky wrote: »
    Do you mean Pride as a whole or just the drinking part?

The whole thing, there is always somebody that ruins it and nobody tries to stop it. Every year there are grown men walking around Dublin in pink tights a tutu and fairy wings, there does be half naked people too and one year I saw pictures of people trying to have sex in the middle of the parade.

With the way a small minority carry on at the event it is nearly like they are trying to prevent progress.

I completely support the ideas behind the event but some people take it too far and ruin it for everybody.

• Advertisement

Pink tights. Yep!
    Fairy Wings. Wouldnt be Pride without them.
    I usually carry a rainbow umbrella.
    You wouldnt be wearing a Troll outfit would you. Im just not sure.

Pink tights. Yep!
    Fairy Wings. Wouldnt be Pride without them.
    I usually carry a rainbow umbrella.
    You wouldnt be wearing a Troll outfit would you. Im just not sure.

Troll? What have I said wrong? The parade is a great idea, but people need to stay clothed and keep the event PG, it happens during the day in a large city not in a nightclub. Do a search for gay pride Dublin with safe search off you will find one in every 5 pictures have a naked person in them, that's just not acceptable.

It would really seem that a small minority at the parade are asking for labels, it seems like they want to be seen as different and it seems like they want to stop progress. The behaviour of some people at the pride parade is really slowing the acceptance of the LGBT community in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

GarIT wrote: »
    Troll? What have I said wrong? The parade is a great idea, but people need to stay clothed and keep the event PG, it happens during the day in a large city not in a nightclub. Do a search for gay pride Dublin with safe search off you will find one in every 5 pictures have a naked person in them, that's just not acceptable.

It would really seem that a small minority at the parade are asking for labels, it seems like they want to be seen as different and it seems like they want to stop progress. The behaviour of some people at the pride parade is really slowing the acceptance of the LGBT community in society.

I get what your saying. Putting my parent hat on I took my then 14 yr old to Pride a few years ago, it was our first time and we were expecting something family friendly seeing as it was happening on a Saturday afternoon in the city centre. I'm not a prude but some of the outfits were a bit out there, guys in tiny little pants and nothing else and it was a bit intimidating / off putting.

Things have changed and people are more open about Pride, people bring their kids to it and that's how it should be, inclusive of the entire community not just the LGBT but that image is what a lot of people think Pride represents, the media jump on it. I want to see pictures of families, teens, straight couples with their kids. I'd like to take my 4 yr old this year but stuff like that concerns me. Would it be too much to ask that one event is kept family friendly, god knows there are enough adult only events that people could save it for.

On the first page of photos I see the same 2 guys in various photos. Photographers and the general public jump to take photos like that but it could not by a long shot be described as one fifth of the people at the event, that would be a gross misrepresentation. Some people have problems with the nudity or partial exposure as displayed by these two men and that may be an issue in public. But youve got to love the tutus and tights and what about those fairy wings.

I do think of Pride as mainly an adult event. There are sections that are more family friendly or are specifically about famalies but the Gay Pride Parade I think of as an adult event and thats from its origins. It started in the Bars of New York when the Drag Queens, the Bar Dykes, The Rent Boys and the general motley crew of societies rejects decided they didnt want to take the discrimination any more and they rioted. You could say its their history, its in memory of how a group of people some of us are still embarrassed by protested and won.
    Its evolved to include more people but wouldnt it be ironic if in the name of respectability the pink tighted, tu tu wearing fairys were asked to leave because they were an embarrassment to us and were ruining our parade and our reputation.
    Ive just read there will be a family section at Merrion Square this year and I think they are organising other family events that may be more suitable for those with children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Elektronske

I hope for good S&M section this year.

On the first page of photos I see the same 2 guys in various photos. Photographers and the general public jump to take photos like that but it could not by a long shot be described as one fifth of the people at the event, that would be a gross misrepresentation. Some people have problems with the nudity or partial exposure as displayed by these two men and that may be an issue in public. But youve got to love the tutus and tights and what about those fairy wings.

I do think of Pride as mainly an adult event. There are sections that are more family friendly or are specifically about famalies but the Gay Pride Parade I think of as an adult event and thats from its origins. It started in the Bars of New York when the Drag Queens, the Bar Dykes, The Rent Boys and the general motley crew of societies rejects decided they didnt want to take the discrimination any more and they rioted. You could say its their history, its in memory of how a group of people some of us are still embarrassed by protested and won.
    Its evolved to include more people but wouldnt it be ironic if in the name of respectability the pink tighted, tu tu wearing fairys were asked to leave because they were an embarrassment to us and were ruining our parade and our image.

The highlighted is the problem, it is just not acceptable to have an adult event in Dublin city during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I do think of Pride as mainly an adult event. There are sections that are more family friendly or are specifically about famalies but Gay Pride I think of as an adult event and thats what I meant about the origins of it. It started in the Bars of New York when the Drag Queens, the Bar Dykes, The Rent Boys and the general motley crew of societies rejects decided they didnt want to take the discrimination any more and they rioted. You could say its their history, its in memory of how a group of people some of us are still embarrassed by protested and won.
    Its evolved to include more people but wouldnt it be ironic if in the name of respectability the pink tighted, tu tu wearing fairys were asked to leave because they were an embarrassment to us and were ruining our parade and our image.

I don't think people should be asked to ditch the wings, wigs, drag etc..its just the nudity that alienates some people which you can appreciate seeing as its happening during the busiest shopping day along one of the busiest streets in the country. Maybe respectfully asking people to tone it down a bit. I do wonder if sometimes that element does more harm than good, as you say they are the ones the cameras tend to focus on giving the impression that Pride is something its not.

The origins of Pride are one thing but isn't it great to acknowledge that the LGBT issues have evolved, that its no longer some kind of fringe thing that is hidden away, lots of LGBT people have kids, lots of them are kids themselves, the straight community is now supporting improved rights for the community, it should be as much a celebration of that as it is about improving rights.

Adult only excludes LGBT kids, teens and those adults with kids and teens...given there is a huge push for right of LGBT parents at the moment and the increasing issues re bullying wouldn't it make sense to make it more open to the under 18's

I hope for good S&M section this year.

This is another similar problem, it's all just people looking for attention by going to extremes. Any genuine BDSM society has guidelines for behaviour in public and each of them will say that it is just wrong to wear BDSM attire in public. BDSM events provide changing rooms and ask their members to use them so they are not wandering the streets in whatever they are going to wear to the event, they recognise that it is just not acceptable in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Elektronske

high time you accepted equal BDSM pride and rights as well

• Advertisement

high time you accepted equal BDSM pride and rights as well

I never said I had a problem with it in private, but anyone person genuinely involved with it has enough sense to know that it's not acceptable in public.

Advertisement