Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing weight in 5 weeks.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

ford2600 wrote: »
    Ok we will never agree.

I love the certain answer.:D

I'll leave ye with yere dogma

You cant agree that eating too much makes you fat? You won't enjoy your time here so.

Bruno26 wrote: »
    Please please point out where I said people got fat after 1977.

Of course people got fat from eating grains and whatever sugar was consumed.

It was miniscule. There was hardly any processed foods/ low fat options .

People got fat from eating too much. Not some idiotic belief that grains create calories from nowhere or that in 1977 everyone suddenly switched to low fat and got fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

The consensus is that it's poor at calculating your allowance.

You didn't point out that it's not necessary to count calories. You stated you could overeat and lose weight. If so.one has their TDEE correctly calculated then what you said was misleading.
    My reasoning is down to my own nutrition- always struggled with weight- did the counting calories - around 2,500 - 3000 daily-eating all foods but never much junk but plenty of grains- exercised a lot- competitive sport, running , weights . Still struggled with weight

When I discovered the previous listed books- I went 80% paleo- good results- have since cut out all grains and barely any sugar- some berries. My results have been better, easier and quicker than anything in previous 16 years. It works for me but one size doesn't fit all I suppose. And Ive hardly ever exercised in this time apart from walking and some golf.

Weight will be lost due to elimination of sugar & grains and therefore most carbs also. Eat over daily calorie amount and you will still lose fat

There is nothing correct in this statement.

My reasoning is down to my own nutrition- always struggled with weight- did the counting calories - around 2,500 - 3000 daily-eating all foods but never much junk but plenty of grains- exercised a lot- competitive sport, running , weights . Still struggled with weight

You were eating too much.
    When I discovered the previous listed books- I went 80% paleo- good results- have since cut out all grains and barely any sugar- some berries. My results have been better, easier and quicker than anything in previous 16 years. It works for me but one size doesn't fit all I suppose. And Ive hardly ever exercised in this time apart from walking and some golf.

You are eating less.

• Advertisement

There is nothing correct in this statement.

It's all true. Point out how it is false. Macros are key- too many carbs make you fat.

You were eating too much.

So when I ate 2,500-3000 cals I ate too much?

You are eating less.

Now I eat average 4000 cals a day and I'm eating less according to you?

I'm now eating way more calories - but I've had way more success. Figure that one out!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

My reasoning is down to my own nutrition

It works for me but one size doesn't fit all I suppose. And Ive hardly ever exercised in this time apart from walking and some golf.

The problem is you're pitching it as a one-size-fits all approach.

I've no problem with you saying what you did and qualifying it as just that rather than making blanket statements like "do x and y and you can eat over your calorie allowance and still lose weight".

People got fat from eating too much. Not some idiotic belief that grains create calories from nowhere or that in 1977 everyone suddenly switched to low fat and got fat.

People got fat from eating too many grains and in 20th century too much sugar. You cannot get fat from eating too much meat, fish, butter, cream veg, some fruit, some nuts

Low fat usually means higher sugar content to add flavour robbed from making it low fat so this has a part to play too.

I've no problem with you saying what you did and qualifying it as just that rather than making blanket statements like "do x and y and you can eat over your calorie allowance and still lose weight".

I just said one size doesn't fit all- it works for me. However if you were to follow Tim Noakes, Vinnie Tortorich you would see it works for almost everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Isn't that the whole problem; eat less especially fat exercise more is the one size fits all answer pushed here and by Health authorities?

High fat low carb will work well for some, particularly those with carbohydrate intolerance.

Japan does very well on high carb (and being wealthy lol) but the don't consume high sugar. Taubes over stepped the msrk condemning carbs for everyone

Half applying Thermodynamic Laws to humans isn't a great way to approach nutrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Isn't that the whole problem; eat less especially fat exercise more is the one size fits all answer pushed here and by Health authorities?

High fat low carb will work well for some, particularly those with carbohydrate intolerance.

Japan does very well on high carb (and being wealthy lol) but the don't consume high sugar. Taubes over stepped the msrk condemning carbs for everyone

Half applying Thermodynamic Laws to humans isn't a great way to approach nutrition.

Eat less fat isn't pushed as the answer here though.

As for 'health authorities', more and more people disregard what they say these days.

Thats true - the message from health authorities is increasing the problem.
    I'm guessing rice is number one grain in japan- rice best of a bad lot for me. There is evidence that Japanese health suffers in other ways due to this approach to nutrition. Reading the big fat surprise at moment which mentions this.

I don't find much wrong with Taubes work

It's all true. Point out how it is false. Macros are key- too many carbs make you fat.

Too much of anything makes you fat. You are the one making a ridiculous statement, the onus is on you for proof - this is in the forum rules.
    Now I eat average 4000 cals a day and I'm eating less according to you?

I'm now eating way more calories - but I've had way more success. Figure that one out!

There is nothing to figure out, your calorie requirements changed and/or the amount you were consuming.
    People got fat from eating too many grains and in 20th century too much sugar. You cannot get fat from eating too much meat, fish, butter, cream veg, some fruit, some nuts

Low fat usually means higher sugar content to add flavour robbed from making it low fat so this has a part to play too.

You can absolutely get fat from eating too much meat, fish, butter, cream veg, some fruit, some nuts.

I am well aware of the pitfalls of low fat. This forum does not recommend low fat products in general.
    I just said one size doesn't fit all- it works for me. However if you were to follow Tim Noakes, Vinnie Tortorich you would see it works for almost everyone.

Do you think simply adding names validates your point (a model/radio presenter and an undertaker are not great references btw)? Link to research showing that grain specifically makes you fat when under consuming calories or what you are doing is just trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

Too much of anything makes you fat. You are the one making a ridiculous statement, the onus is on you for proof - this is in the forum rules.

There is nothing to figure out, your calorie requirements changed and/or the amount you were consuming.

You can absolutely get fat from eating too much meat, fish, butter, cream veg, some fruit, some nuts.

I am well aware of the pitfalls of low fat. This forum does not recommend low fat products in general.

Do you think simply adding names validates your point (a model/radio presenter and an undertaker are not great references btw)? Link to research showing that grain specifically makes you fat when under consuming calories or what you are doing is just trolling.

You are pissing against the breeze my friend.

Too much of anything makes you fat- broccoli?! So you can get fat from having a diet without almost any carbs?

When you eat those foods every day without sugar and grain you don't overeat- you can't you stop when you feel satiated. We don't crave those foods like we do with grains and sugar which are addictive.

Check the other references I've listed. I'll also throw in Robert lustig, mat lalonde, John briffa. Can you list some to back up your views? Saw some official research that said cereal is the best start to your day- who paid for it - Kellogg's - can't trust lots of research.

How could I train 4 times a week and eat too much at 2,500 cals?

I stop training- I now suddenly require 4000 cals and I lose weight?

How does that work- please explain .

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Squat Rack Curler

You were not eating 2500 calories before and you are not eating 4000 calories now.
    A hypocaloric paleo diet will not hold any benefits over a traditional caloric defecit.

You were not eating 2500 calories before and you are not eating 4000 calories now.
    A hypocaloric paleo diet will not hold any benefits over a traditional caloric defecit.

Yes I was and yes I am. I've never followed a hypocaloric paleo diet. However if someone did I'm sure there would be health benefits in nsng part of that diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Squat Rack Curler

Yes I was and yes I am. I've never followed a hypocaloric paleo diet. However if someone did I'm sure there would be health benefits in nsng part of that diet.

You clearly don't understand how the human body works. You claim you lost weight on a paleo diet but not in a caloric defecit? Please enlighten me on said benefits

You clearly don't understand how the human body works. You claim you lost weight on a paleo diet but not in a caloric defecit? Please enlighten me on said benefits

HFLC is the approach I take. Easy and works better than full on paleo for me. I will say it agin you do not need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight - yes this is what we've been brainwashed with for years. It's simply not true. But your obviously an expert so keep counting calories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

B, What's your height/weight? How long ago was your conversion?

rocky wrote: »
    B, What's your height/weight? How long ago was your conversion?

6 ft 1

Just under 13 stone now. At one stage was over 15 stone. Started to follow paleo about 18 months ago but never more than 80%. Have been following hflc for about 3 months since discovering tim noakes and documentary cereal killers.

I now find it quite easy- spend a lot more time preparing food now- I find food really enjoyable- feel way better and leaner than anytime in last 10 years. The only exercise in this time is some walking & some golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

6 ft 1

Just under 13 stone now. At one stage was over 15 stone. Started to follow paleo about 18 months ago but never more than 80%. Have been following hflc for about 3 months since discovering tim noakes and documentary cereal killers.

I now find it quite easy- spend a lot more time preparing food now- I find food really enjoyable- feel way better and leaner than anytime in last 10 years. The only exercise in this time is some walking & some golf.

So you're eating 1500 calories a day more, exercising less and you're 2 stone lighter?
    I think you may visit the doctor.

desultory wrote: »
    So you're eating 1500 calories a day more, exercising less and you're 2 stone lighter?
    I think you may visit the doctor.

Pretty much yes- hard to believe - an increase in calories but from completely different food sources. All calories are not equal - huge amount of information coming out on this.

Simplyfying a bit- back then was drinking a bit- once or twice at weekend which obviously increased calories on those days but would have exercised as believed you could out exercise the bad stuff

Too much of anything makes you fat- broccoli?! So you can get fat from having a diet without almost any carbs?

When you eat those foods every day without sugar and grain you don't overeat- you can't you stop when you feel satiated. We don't crave those foods like we do with grains and sugar which are addictive.

Check the other references I've listed. I'll also throw in Robert lustig, mat lalonde, John briffa. Can you list some to back up your views? Saw some official research that said cereal is the best start to your day- who paid for it - Kellogg's - can't trust lots of research.

How could I train 4 times a week and eat too much at 2,500 cals?

I stop training- I now suddenly require 4000 cals and I lose weight?

Yes, even too much brocolli will make you fat. You realise that both carbs and fat are both stored as fat during excess consumption right?

It is completely possible to overeat and gain fat when not eating grains and sugar. Please provide links showing otherwise. Naming people is not providing references. I don't actually need to back up my views, the onus is on you.

Please get your facts straight
    A general rule that we all should try to live by, but invariably do not. However in this forum misinformation could have fairly tangible consequences. We will all make mistakes and we will all disagree with some things as the best approach, however if you post truly idiotic or dangerous advice it will be removed. In debates try to back your points with existing literature if available. Do not post unfounded allegations or state potential links if you cannot defend them.
    HFLC is the approach I take. Easy and works better than full on paleo for me. I will say it agin you do not need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight - yes this is what we've been brainwashed with for years. It's simply not true. But your obviously an expert so keep counting calories.

Absolutely 100% incorrect and frankly stupid and dangerous advice.
    Pretty much yes- hard to believe - an increase in calories but from completely different food sources. All calories are not equal - huge amount of information coming out on this.

Simplyfying a bit- back then was drinking a bit- once or twice at weekend which obviously increased calories on those days but would have exercised as believed you could out exercise the bad stuff

Actually all calories are equal as a calorie is a specific unit of measurement. What you really mean is not all calories are used equally.

You were not eating sub 2500 with a 2500 requirement and gaining weight, nor are you now eating 4000 with a 4000+ requirement and losing weight. Most likely you were overestimating your TDEE and now you are over estimating your intake.

Yes, even too much brocolli will make you fat. You realise that both carbs and fat are both stored as fat during excess consumption right?

It is completely possible to overeat and gain fat when not eating grains and sugar. Please provide links showing otherwise. Naming people is not providing references. I don't actually need to back up my views, the onus is on you.

Please get your facts straight
    A general rule that we all should try to live by, but invariably do not. However in this forum misinformation could have fairly tangible consequences. We will all make mistakes and we will all disagree with some things as the best approach, however if you post truly idiotic or dangerous advice it will be removed. In debates try to back your points with existing literature if available. Do not post unfounded allegations or state potential links if you cannot defend them.

Absolutely 100% incorrect and frankly stupid and dangerous advice.

Actually all calories are equal as a calorie is a specific unit of measurement. What you really mean is not all calories are used equally.

You were not eating sub 2500 with a 2500 requirement and gaining weight, nor are you now eating 4000 with a 4000+ requirement and losing weight. Most likely you were overestimating your TDEE and now you are over estimating your intake.

Too much green veg can make you fat- that's funny, incorrect and stupid . Now that should be removed!

If I posted idiotic dangerous advice why hasn't it been removed as you say?

I need to provide references but you don't! How do you figure that one out.

Good luck- will go easy on the broccoli tomorrow !

Too much green veg can make you fat- that's funny, incorrect and stupid . Now that should be removed!

If I posted idiotic dangerous advice why hasn't it been removed as you say?

I need to provide references but you don't! How do you figure that one out.

Good luck- will go easy on the broccoli tomorrow !

It would be practically impossible to eat too much brocolli because of how little calories it has but if you did then yes, you would get fat.
    If you don't believe that then you have a gross misunderstanding of very basic nutrition.

desultory wrote: »
    It would be practically impossible to eat too much brocolli because of how little calories it has but if you did then yes, you would get fat.
    If you don't believe that then you have a gross misunderstanding of very basic nutrition.

Thanks for reinforcing my point- it's not possible to get fat from green veg as it's impossible to overeat it. Pointless suggesting you can

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

If the only exercise you have done is walking and golf I take it you have pretty much zero muscle mass? if this is the case then 13 stone at 6 foot 1 isn't exactly lean.

• Advertisement

Thanks for reinforcing my point- it's not possible to get fat from green veg as it's impossible to overeat it. Pointless suggesting you can

You're missing the point altogether.
    It is possible to get fat from eating too much broccoli, if you could physically manage it, because you'd be going past your calorie output.

Just as it is possible to get fat from eating too much of any of the foods you've mentioned.
    Just because sugar and grains aren't in the diet anymore doesn't give a free pass to the perfect body. You eat more calories than you put out and you'll gain weight, simple as.

Advertisement