Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Yeah it is the amount of flights I've been on where it's departed late and they've still churned out the cringeworthy on time jingle and people just shake their heads and laugh, or have a '' WTF '' look on their face!!

Departed late but arrived on time you mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

And what flights are scheduled at 75 mins? The FR summer schedule has the DUB - MAN route at between 50 mins and 65 mins depending on the time of day. For comparison sake Aer Lingus flights are scheduled at between 55 mins and 70 mins!

This is just standard industry practice. All airlines pad flight times to cover for unexpected/unusual events such as strong headwinds, runway closures etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

IngazZagni wrote: »
    And what flights are scheduled at 75 mins? The FR summer schedule has the DUB - MAN route at between 50 mins and 65 mins depending on the time of day. For comparison sake Aer Lingus flights are scheduled at between 55 mins and 70 mins!

This is just standard industry practice. All airlines pad flight times to cover for unexpected/unusual events such as strong headwinds, runway closures etc.

Not to mention that flight times are from push back at the gate from departure to arriving at the gate for arrival. Some airports are woeful for their long taxiing times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I think it's more a matter of them having done what they were paid to do (fly me somewhere at a given time) and then bells and whistles go off to congratulate themselves for doing so. If every service provider was to broadcast jingle's every time they met their basic level of delivery of their product the country would be awash with noise.
    I accept they give me a good service at a decent price but please cut out the self congratulatory nonsense. I have flown as cheaply and as efficiently with others who just get on with it!

Wow you really feel it's self congraulations? It's the usual Ryanair publicity, just on board.

Hilarious how precious Joe Public are. As if each and every one of them deserves luxury for being such great people :rolleyes: I take my hat off to O'Leary for making so much money out of such a generally feckless audience.

• Advertisement

As for flight time padding....so what?!?!?! Jeeeez....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I think it's more a matter of them having done what they were paid to do (fly me somewhere at a given time) and then bells and whistles go off to congratulate themselves for doing so. If every service provider was to broadcast jingle's every time they met their basic level of delivery of their product the country would be awash with noise.
    I accept they give me a good service at a decent price but please cut out the self congratulatory nonsense. I have flown as cheaply and as efficiently with others who just get on with it!

Hmmmmm.... in my experience you'd be met with absolute silence far more often than not :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Hmmmmm.... in my experience you'd be met with absolute silence far more often than not :mad::mad:

I can't agree at all. Most service providers deliver on at least the basic acceptable level of service or product. Of course some don't but in general I have to say the vast majority at least hit that mark.

I think some are deliberately missing the point of the jingles - they are not really about Ryanair being on time, they are about Ryanair being on time compared to their rivals. The on time airline. Can't think why some would want to do down a low cost airline...it seems rather common while the pricey ones who have 'dumbed down' their services somewhat to compete get away with blue murder!!! Many snobs around..ironically most of them are at the same level as those they look down on (and the truly rich look down on you)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Again? This has been done to death already on this thread

• Advertisement

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22659822
    As Ryanair says it does not engage in schedule padding, we decided to compare its flight times out of Edinburgh airport with those of its competitors.

On the eight routes we were able to identify where Ryanair has rivals, it gave the same or shorter flight times in seven out of eight cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

So they all engage in padding then :P

So they all engage in padding then :P

How is it padding if they all do it ?

Average journey time.

Probably been mentioned already, but does anyone else not think it's a pain in the jock that you can't check in outside of seven days?

If you go anywhere for a week, you have to worry about checking in on your holiday? And if you forget, you get a pretty crappy reminder at the airport (when most people are broke, just at the end of their holiday).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Yes it is a pain although you can pay for the privilege of checking in more than 7 days. One of the few duds from Ryanairs recent revamp

Yes it is a pain although you can pay for the privilege of checking in more than 7 days. One of the few duds from Ryanairs recent revamp

Pay for it? Presumably you mean via the allocated seating?

My dad's a bit of a technophobe, so hasn't a clue about computers. I'll have to email the hotel the boarding passes and get them to print them for him (they'll obviously charge) but it seems the simplest way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Pay for it? Presumably you mean via the allocated seating?

Yes, with allocated seating I think you can check in from 30 days

Yes, with allocated seating I think you can check in from 30 days

Yup, when I explained how it would work to my dad, he paid for the extra seats so he could have the boarding passes for the return flights in his hands when he was leaving, in fear of anything going assways once he got there.

Clever trick by Ryanair. I'd imagine 90% of people who aren't great with computers would do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Went to Marbella last week on an 8.30 flight.... Not a thing to be had in the trolley. Same thing on the return flight too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mattser

Misticles wrote: »
    Went to Marbella last week on an 8.30 flight.... Not a thing to be had in the trolley. Same thing on the return flight too!

Went earlier this month ( via Malaga, I take it ) . No such problems either way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I was flying with Ryanair over Easter and got confirmation that checking in together can split up people.

I was in seat B of row 23 (I think). The guy in seat A had been split from the woman he was travelling with who was in seat F of row 22. I offered to switch with her but funnily they declined. It was only an hour long flight anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I was flying with Ryanair over Easter and got confirmation that checking in together can split up people.

I was in seat B of row 23 (I think). The guy in seat A had been split from the woman he was travelling with who was in seat F of row 22. I offered to switch with her but funnily they declined. It was only an hour long flight anyway.

Did they say when they checked in? If it was late in the check in window then maybe there were only single seats left? Were they on the same booking?

When i checked in my dad and his partner (free, unallocated seats), it gave two beside each other. Window seat and middle seat.

I'd say it's mostly a case of luck and checking in as early as is possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 andmc

In January I travelled to Madrid with Ryanair and opted to book with Ryanair Hotels as there was a '€10 off your next flight' deal when you booked a hotel with them.

That was grand and a week after the trip I received my €10 'voucher code' from Ryanair Hotels which stated would be valid for 3 months.

Two months later I was booking my next trip with Ryanair but when the 'Voucher Redeem' part came along it wasn't working and kept saying error. Many attempts later I realised it wasn't going to work.

After 3 emails to Ryanair I got a brief reply telling me to email Ryanair Hotels and a link.

I have since emailed Ryanair hotels on their feedback/complaints form a couple of times with no response. It's not a big issue over €10 off a flight but i'd hate to think they have done this to many just so you book through them.

Anyone else experienced this 'deal'?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I had a similiar experience when I took out the Ryanair passport card. When I joined up I was given a code to use to get €10 discount (can't recall if it was for first flight or later flight), but when I went to use it the message was 'already used' I emailed them but they washed their hands by saying it was the debit card promotors who were liable, who naturally enough, said Ryanair were to blame. I gave up. Did save a lot with that card during it's short lifespan, though. € 24 every return trip for two.

Just be careful that you are not being deducted a charge off your credit card for the privildge of receiving this €10 discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

fr336 wrote: »
    So despite completely driving down ticket prices across Europe and being the most on-time airline in Europe, the cringy jingle means all that is for nothing? :rolleyes:

Ryanair are a victim of their success. Yes you may get slightly better service on pricier airlines, but not by much. The same airlines, the facts show, are less on time than FR and can in many instances be even trickier than them when things go pearshaped (FR have the flexibility to keep everything moving with delays rather than flat out cancelling everything when a bit of snow or whatever comes along).

The dearer airlines get away with so much compared to Ryanair it's ridiculous. People seem more interested in appearances and misplaced pride than the facts of life - nobody but the rich would be complaining about flying all over Europe (or even across the Irish sea) if it wasn't for Ryanair.

"slightly better service but not by much " are you mad, having flown with most airlines in Europe , FR are rank bottom by a distance, easyJet are streets ahead of them, flew to Malaga with them from LGW and nothing but positive reports friendly crew who actually spoke proper English unlike some FR crew I've encountered who I had great difficulty understanding more leg room and most importantly on time flight.

Also flew EI last weekend Dub - MCR and the plane was late by 40 minutes but the captain couldn't have been more apologetic and told pax the exact reason the flight was delayed, even one of the cabin crew as we disembarked apologised and said goodbye.

Basic customer service should be an absolute necessarily no matter if you pay €10 or €200.

For the record the flight one way was €19.99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

The allocated seating is just another money making scam nothing more, nothing less.

It's only a matter of time before FR renege on all their promises to "improve our world class customer service"

The in flight magazine though can be an entertaining read sometimes :-D

jonnny68 wrote: »
    The allocated seating is just another money making scam nothing more, nothing less

How do you figure that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement

In the same way as non allocated seating "forced" families to pay for priority boarding?

Advertisement