Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Mine was updated this evening.
    I was actually weary about the reports of the season ticket office being less than helpful as my attendance wasn't recorded at the Down game the previous weekend (they only had a lad reading out the names on the cards and another one marking them off a list). But fair play to them, it was changed very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Mine was updated this evening.
    I was actually weary about the reports of the season ticket office being less than helpful as my attendance wasn't recorded at the Down game the previous weekend (they only had a lad reading out the names on the cards and another one marking them off a list). But fair play to them, it was changed very quickly.

Just logged in again - all good.

Minor hurlers start their Leinster campaign tomorrow at 3pm against Wicklow in Navan.

County championships start today with a repeat of last year's Senior final in Navan between Summerhill and Na Fianna.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Na Fianna scored 5 goals by all accounts..played against them a few times in recent times...they are well able to hit the onion bag and I believe are in with a great shout this year. No " second season syndrome" in evidence on first outing. Kells beat Dunshaughlin as well on their first game back at the top. In intermediate, Trim beat Drumbaragh...real championship feel now with the good weather..hopefully it keeps up for the weekend!

Minors beat Wicklow 3-15 to 3-9.
    Good win for Kells against Dunshaughlin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Minors beat Wicklow 3-15 to 3-9.
    Good win for Kells against Dunshaughlin.

No surprise that Mattimoe got the winning point and was star of the show.

I honestly can't see how he was only in the Meath U21 team because of injury, I'd be giving him a shot with the seniors.

Seems like there was a bit of controversy in the Junior championship game between St. Brigid's and Moylagh. According to reports, both sides were reduced to 14 men late on. But Brigid's brought on a player to bring them back up to 15. That player then got fouled for the free that turned out to be the winning score.

Surely if that's the case, Moylagh will get the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Wicklow again tomorrow in the Minor, this time for football.

Johnny Lynch (Moynalty); Jack O'Connor (Donaghmore/Ashbourne), Iarla Hughes (Summerhill), Dan Ormsby (Dunshaughlin); Jordan McLoughlin (St Peter's, Dunboyne), Brian Harnan (Moynalvey), Ronan McDonagh (Clann na nGael); Charlie Bird (Boardsmill), Ronan Jones (St Peter's, Dunboyne); Dylan Brady (Donaghmore/Ashbourne), Daire Rowe (Syddan), Shane Cumiskey (St Peter's, Dunboyne); Ross Ryan (Summerhill), James Cullen (Trim), David McLoughlin (Moynalvey). Subs: Colm Honan (Navan O'Mahonys), Declan McGuinness (Navan O'Mahonys), Ronan Ryan (Summerhill), Jack Giles (Donaghmore/Ashbourne), Evan Hendrick (Na Fianna), Paudge McGowan (Slane), Darren Heaney (Duleek/Bellewstown), Thomas O'Reilly (Wolfe Tones), Sean Power (St Ultan's).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭rpurfield

super win for the minors today, but looking at some of the results it begs the question whats the point of throwing all the minor teams in together, ourselves offaly and wexford all had big wins and it makes me wonder what encouragement that is for the losing teams or how the winning teams know where they are in terms of going on in the championship

rpurfield wrote: »
    super win for the minors today, but looking at some of the results it begs the question whats the point of throwing all the minor teams in together, ourselves offaly and wexford all had big wins and it makes me wonder what encouragement that is for the losing teams or how the winning teams know where they are in terms of going on in the championship

Firstly good to get a win and even better to do it in a convincing manner.
    Not sure how you can tell Wicklow, Louth, Carlow and Westmeath they cant compete. It wont go down well. Kilkenny on the other hand......

• Advertisement

iDave wrote: »
    Firstly good to get a win and even better to do it in a convincing manner.
    Not sure how you can tell Wicklow, Louth, Carlow and Westmeath they cant compete. It wont go down well. Kilkenny on the other hand......

true it wouldnt go down well but how is it good for the young lads in louth etc to be getting hammered after training like hell it certainly wont have a positive impact on them. im not claiming to have the solution but something needs to be done to bring them counties up a level

rpurfield wrote: »
    true it wouldnt go down well but how is it good for the young lads in louth etc to be getting hammered after training like hell it certainly wont have a positive impact on them. im not claiming to have the solution but something needs to be done to bring them counties up a level

We've been at this GAA lark for 130 years now. Some of those counties will never improve. Quite happy to see Louth get bate anyway. Never gets old :D
    Theres princes and paupers in every sport. Sporting communism will never be realised.
    We haven't blazed a trail ourselves for a decade now anyway. Let's just focus on getting Meath to All Ireland standard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Cork meant be playing ye opening new ptich in a challenge few weeks senior football if true

Cork meant be playing ye opening new ptich in a challenge few weeks senior football if true

That is true, 18th of May in Skryne I believe.

Meath play Galway the week before on the 11th in Ratoath. Triple header of action is on the cards with Meath ladies and juniors set to play that day too I've been led to believe. Worth the trip I would say to both venues with Championship just around the corner would expect fairly strong teams out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Obrieski wrote: »
    That is true, 18th of May in Skryne I believe.

Meath play Galway the week before on the 11th in Ratoath. Triple header of action is on the cards with Meath ladies and juniors set to play that day too I've been led to believe. Worth the trip I would say to both venues with Championship just around the corner would expect fairly strong teams out.

Thanks lad nice drive from cork may make it

Ah here what are those Ratoath lads made of. Joey Wallace broken ankle

Gonna be massive medical and rehab bills in the Wallace household this year.
    Two massive losses for us already.

Gonna be massive medical and rehab bills in the Wallace household this year.
    Two massive losses for us already.
    Heard there's seven Ratoath players going stateside this summer as well. PP having us as nearly evens for the IFC looks pretty stupid now.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Heard there's seven Ratoath players going stateside this summer as well. PP having us as nearly evens for the IFC looks pretty stupid now.

Well considering that there probably won't be any club championships while meath are still in the all-Ireland, there's a chance surely that those players will be back for the latter stages of the IFC or even the last couple of rounds in the group stages.

Though admittedly that's a lot of players even for a club like rathoath to lose in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I see Shane O'Rourke is being welcomed back to club football anyway:

http://www.hoganstand.com/meath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=214867
    Simonstown had moved five points clear, 2-8 to 1-6, by the 42nd minute when Gaeil Colmcille's Danny McGovern appeared to strike Shane O'Rourke, who made light of the incident and finished with two fine points to his name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Minor hurlers beaten by 5 points by Wexford, pity we can't seem to move on that extra step and claim a victory against one of the traditional teams. Might not be far away though.

Wouldn't be a huge fan of the format of the Leinster Championship, no second chance for Meath, Kildare, Wicklow or Westmeath, yet there is for all other teams. No competitive game now until the All Ireland B championship in August, which is a pity since it's still only April.

paul0103 wrote: »
    Minor hurlers beaten by 5 points by Wexford, pity we can't seem to move on that extra step and claim a victory against one of the traditional teams. Might not be far away though.

Wouldn't be a huge fan of the format of the Leinster Championship, no second chance for Meath, Kildare, Wicklow or Westmeath, yet there is for all other teams. No competitive game now until the All Ireland B championship in August, which is a pity since it's still only April.
    The GAA generally don't care about the poor relations in hurling. They're quite content with protecting the big teams' statuses. Sure look at the format of the Christy Ring and lower competitions. They're all over and done with by the first weekend in June. Some teams' seasons will be over by two weeks from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

The GAA generally don't care about the poor relations in hurling. They're quite content with protecting the big teams' statuses. Sure look at the format of the Christy Ring and lower competitions. They're all over and done with by the first weekend in June. Some teams' seasons will be over by two weeks from now.

I couldn't agree more, a championship that is run over 5/6 consecutive weeks really is not doing any of these teams any favours. Personally I would love to see the provincial system scrapped and a proper 3 tier championship introduced, each running in parallel over the summer. But I'm sure we all know what the chance of that happening is!

Back to Meath discussion, I think the hurlers have a great chance of a win next weekend. Playing at home is a great advantage, should be back close to full strength after a few injuries in the league (which ended up being a bit of a disaster). At full strength I really think they are a match for any team in the Christy Ring, especially Down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

I didn't see much in either Roscommon or Cavan to worry me last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

paul0103 wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more, a championship that is run over 5/6 consecutive weeks really is not doing any of these teams any favours. Personally I would love to see the provincial system scrapped and a proper 3 tier championship introduced, each running in parallel over the summer. But I'm sure we all know what the chance of that happening is!

Back to Meath discussion, I think the hurlers have a great chance of a win next weekend. Playing at home is a great advantage, should be back close to full strength after a few injuries in the league (which ended up being a bit of a disaster). At full strength I really think they are a match for any team in the Christy Ring, especially Down.

Wouldnt be so sure about the full strength part, several players have dropped themselves off the hurling team in recent weeks. A few were starters aswell.

Wouldnt be so sure about the full strength part, several players have dropped themselves off the hurling team in recent weeks. A few were starters aswell.

Breaking news this evening, according to twitter, that Cillian Farrell has stepped down as manager after lack of suppport for him and hurling from county board...massive blow with 6 days until championship start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Obrieski wrote: »
    Breaking news this evening, according to twitter, that Cillian Farrell has stepped down as manager after lack of suppport for him and hurling from county board...massive blow with 6 days until championship start.

Meath hurling needs a solid plan from the county board who only care about football. Do that and you could get big funding from Croke Park and move things on. Due to a lot of dubs moving to Meath and the popularity of hurling there, a lot of Meath clubs are re building hurling from under age up and are getting very good numbers out.

This will all die out if the county board doesn't get their act together now and build for 10/20 years from now. We will have the playing numbers required to be a force, but we won't unless we have a plan with a bit of vision.

This is very disappointing to hear. We would of been a decent outside bet for CR this year given we took last years winners to a replay in the semi last year.
    One step forward 2 steps back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Seems he was given an 8 week ban over some offence in the League game vs. Down. Apparently the ban came into effect last friday, but the match took place on the 23rd of March. How did it take so long to apply?

Even if they were appealling it would it not apply retroactively from the original date? An 8 week ban at this stage means even if Meath won every match and the CR/LMacC playoff, the season would be over before his ban ended.

I've heard the ban applies to one of the selectors aswell, not sure whether it's Fitzgerald or Dowd though.

• Advertisement

whats he actually done to get a ban? Its poor form to neglect the hurling too, im sure the lads involved put great effort into training the same way guys from the likes of dublion or limerick would

Advertisement