Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumb/Great Facebook Status {merge} [No Names]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

coolhull wrote: »
    "Making a donation doesn't bring awareness of breast cancer Yes, it helps, but no-make-up selfies are what makes people aware of the dangers. Donate a couple of euro, certainly, but to really help this wonderful cause, take a selfie and nominate someone else to do the same.
    Awareness is everything."

This, from a woman in her mid-forties, who should know better.

:mad:

A woman in her mid-forties who has never felt her blood run cold as ice as she felt a dimpled lump on her breast in the shower one morning. That, and the shocking disparity in care depending on where in Ireland you live and how lucky you are in getting a bed, is the only awareness worth a tupenny fcuk.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,912 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Muise... wrote: »
    :mad:

A woman in her mid-forties who has never felt her blood run cold as ice as she felt a dimpled lump on her breast in the shower one morning. That, and the shocking disparity in care depending on where in Ireland you live and how lucky you are in getting a bed, is the only awareness worth a tupenny fcuk.

Yes, but now when someone finds a breast lump in the shower, their first thought will be "Oh thank fcuk, there's thousands of knobs out there putting up nomakeupselfies so I've nothing to worry about! Hurrah for obscure awareness raising campaigns!"

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

I think a group of lads has come up with a clever way of ripping the piss out of the #nomakeup selfie. They're nominating each other to take a picture of their shoes on the wrong feet to raise awareness for #thirdworldhunger. Example: "Thanks for the nomination *Bill. Here's a pic of my killer heels on the wrong feet to raise awareness of ‪#‎thirdworldhunger‬. I nominate *Bob and *John".

Subtle and gave me a good laugh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Sellotape Selfies is apparently the new thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

The Master wrote: »
    Sellotape Selfies is apparently the new thing
    I would love to have the task of ripping that off. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

"Thanks to those WHO actually BOTHERED to wish my boys a happy birthday! They both had lovely days an got spoilt rotten,, see if I care"

FFS. God help your boys with a drama queen like you for a mother. They're toddlers! They don't know what Facebook IS, never mind care if someone's wished them happy birthday or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

crazyderk wrote: »
    If there is a god, do you think he's up there going, come on girls just ten more selfies and I'll cure cancer!
    I'd say he is up there with the laptop poking people frantcally

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

coolhull wrote: »
    "Making a donation doesn't bring awareness of breast cancer Yes, it helps, but no-make-up selfies are what makes people aware of the dangers. Donate a couple of euro, certainly, but to really help this wonderful cause, take a selfie and nominate someone else to do the same.
    Awareness is everything."

This, from a woman in her mid-forties, who should know better.

Suspect that's a sarcastic remark pointing out the stupidity of selfie for awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Jernal wrote: »
    Suspect that's a sarcastic remark pointing out the stupidity of selfie for awareness.

Jesus, you'd hope so you really would.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Jernal wrote: »

Reminded me to check and donate :)

It harms nobody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Just about sums tagging up . . :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Seen a new one where lads are taking pictures of them wearing socks on their c*cks to raise awareness of testicular cancer.

Have seen worse pisstakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Beejeez

Regarding the "no makeup selfie" thing...

The power of Social Media is WORKING! Unprecedented amounts of small donations are being received by cancer charities across Britain and Ireland. Many of these donations are coming from young people who would never so much as consider donating to cancer research or any charity (but who love celebrities, social media and love posting selfies)....they may not be affected by cancer and they may never have thought about donating to charity.

Not only do MANY females WANT to nominate their make-up laden friends to post a "no makeup selfie" just for the fun/challenge/dare of it, but many want to show themselves off at any given opportunity too. Alright, possibly an ego thing, but so what?! If it's raising awareness and also raising funds, what on earth HARM can it cause?!

Who knows how many of the females that have already posted these selfies will have their own battles with cancer in future, or already have had!? I'm seeing all types, ages, shapes and sizes of bare-faced females on Facebook and each and everyone of them is doing a brave thing and donating to charity at the same time!

This is a MIGHTY trend! Like it or lump it!

Beejeez wrote: »
    Regarding the "no makeup selfie" thing...

The power of Social Media is WORKING! Unprecedented amounts of small donations are being received by cancer charities across Britain and Ireland. Many of these donations are coming from young people who would never so much as consider donating to cancer research or any charity (but who love celebrities, social media and love posting selfies)....they may not be affected by cancer and they may never have thought about donating to charity.

Not only do MANY females WANT to nominate their make-up laden friends to post a "no makeup selfie" just for the fun/challenge/dare of it, but many want to show themselves off at any given opportunity too. Alright, possibly an ego thing, but so what?! If it's raising awareness and also raising funds, what on earth HARM can it cause?!

Who knows how many of the females that have already posted these selfies will have their own battles with cancer in future, or already have had!? I'm seeing all types, ages, shapes and sizes of bare-faced females on Facebook and each and everyone of them is doing a brave thing and donating to charity at the same time!

This is a MIGHTY trend! Like it or lump it!

I'll lump it with the lump in my left breast that took far too long to diagnose, and while it was all clear thank fcuk, it gave me lots of worried hours spent queuing with quietly weeping women in freezing prefabs out the back of an underfunded, dysfunctional hospital.

I'll lump it with the lump in my friend's breast that eventually killed her after she was bounced around hospital departments because she didn't fit the demographic with her vicious cancer.

What good is charity when it does not provide basic standards of public healthcare?

I'll lump it if you take your selfie daffodil tits out of my face, thanks.

I'll lump it with the lump in my left breast that took far too long to diagnose, and while it was all clear thank fcuk, it gave me lots of worried hours spent queuing with quietly weeping women in freezing prefabs out the back of an underfunded, dysfunctional hospital.

I'll lump it with the lump in my friend's breast that eventually killed her after she was bounced around hospital departments because she didn't fit the demographic with her vicious cancer.

What good is charity when it does not provide basic standards of public healthcare?

I'll lump it if you take your selfie daffodil tits out of my face, thanks.

Wow....The negativity! Even spreading awareness and raising money for charities helping to research an illness that killed your own friend are negative things?

OK - so donating to charities like "cancer research" and posting selfies on a social networking site has affected you, personally, in a negative way how exactly?!

Is it the whole worlds fault you've had a personal battle (or from what I read, just a little scare that turned out to be nothing but that you still want to moan about!?!) Have ANY of the women who've posted selfies actually stated that they think the healthcare system is WONDERFUL!?

The healthcare system in this country killed my mother, in an horrific manner, she died roaring so to speak because of the incompetencies you speak of.......but the imcompetence of the healthcare system is TOTALLY and absolutely nothing to do with this selfie trend....nothing! So why are you up on your soap box about it?

We've all (most) been affected by cancer in some way or other, I've been brushed with it myself (but I'm not here looking for sympathy...I'm still alive and I'm healthy and I'm grateful every day) and I've lost people to it, I've watched them fading away into nothing and then dying in wonderful hospices........my colleague sitting next to me has her wig on, it's everywhere......and just because you decide to deal with your ups and downs of life in such a negative manner, ie. turning an "up" (you actually didn't have cancer at all but just a lump..... phew!) into a "down" (moan!!!) etc..... you shouldn't cast a cold eye on those trying to be positive!!

Selfies on social media might be self-obsessed and egotistic nonsense to you, but some people are self-obsessed in a WHOLE nother way! Yuck!

RIP to your friend, sorry for your loss.

PS: My tits aren't, never were, nor never will be, in your face!!!

....but the imcompetence of the healthcare system is TOTALLY and absolutely nothing to do with this selfie trend....nothing! So why are you up on your soap box about it?

because "awareness" of an illness is a bitter emptiness without proper healthcare.

because we are entitled to healthcare as a right - not because of the kindness of people throwing a few bob in a tin and a picture of themselves on tinternet.

because charity is always at someone else's behest and vanity and has become an industry in its own right. fcuk that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

because "awareness" of an illness is a bitter emptiness without proper healthcare.

because we are entitled to healthcare as a right - not because of the kindness of people throwing a few bob in a tin and a picture of themselves on tinternet.

because charity is always at someone else's behest and vanity and has become an industry in its own right. fcuk that.

That is amazingly bitter. I find the whole selfie thing ridiculous but if it does have the side effect of creating revenue for well-respected charities that's a good outcome in my eyes.

Take your rage about the state of the healthcare system out on our elected representatives not on some gormless gobsh¡te taking a picture of themselves without some slap on their face.

• Advertisement

Lads, there's a thread about this selfies thing on the front page of AH.

Please go there or to R&R to discuss/complain about that specific subject.

Back on Topic (spotted on Facebook)

"Hi peps just a few words for ye all anybody thinking about moving over to lanzarote be very careful who u pick as friends because most of them are as fake as **** they use u to get what they want they go from person to person sucking the lift out them also be careful who u drink with just over two weeks ago now i was spriked with some type of drug that left me not knowing what i was doing are where i was and to make matters worse a gay little **** called matthew reid that lives on the island that u wouldnt think butter melt in his mouth is a sick little **** waits for straight men to get that out of it so he can pray on them wait for his chance as he did on me. I am not gay are have any sexual feelings towards men this little **** is nothing short of being a rapist if this had happened to a women the man would be locked by now but for some reason men afraid to tell well heres one thats if u know a person is straight and u can clearly see they in no state to do anything whats so ever u shuold leave well alone but not this sick little he seen a chance and took it and then to defend himself runs around the island telling people i came on to him even doe im straight and never in a million years would come on to a bloke full stop. But what gets me more then anything is my so call friends that ive helped over the years in lanza truely beleive this sick ****s story thinking i came on to him when i couldnt even stand it took a friend to tell me what happened as i didnt even know what happened till the next day myself ive left the island to get my head together if i can but i thought all of ye needed to know this about lanzarote and the sort of animals that are living on it be careful who u talk to are drink with."

In fairness, there WAS a fullstop at the end!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

In fairness, bad spelling/grammar/syntax aside that does sound like a serious matter, possibly one for the police (assuming it's not made up for attention). Rape is no joke.

Custardpi wrote: »
    In fairness, bad spelling/grammar/syntax aside that does sound like a serious matter, possibly one for the police (assuming it's not made up for attention). Rape is no joke.

From what I gather, word on the grapevine is that this is completely made up for attention and/or in defense of himself (a straight guy) having a jaunt on the wild side with another gay guy.

Definitely not for facebook though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭skirtgirl

"See if ur sister was meeting a fella for a good while and the fella started feeling her up in front of ya and tried to go off with ur sisters best friend within a hour of each other. Wat would ya do? Fill me in"

Why would anyone even post this?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Dont ask why Im on a Nigerian sex therapy facebook page.
    The way Some ladies dey sit down eh I tire ooo, some ladies no sabi sitdon at all, You go see as mature woman go sitdon for public come open legs like say she wan make breeze enter her inner chambers but the one wey dey vex me pass be say if You see the kind color of pants wey dem wear eh na die, e don change from white to "It was White" ... Why na? Naso I dey bank one day , this woman sat directly opposite to me come open her legs sote I see all her Tv stations free including her pant, conji nearly hold me oooo I no go lie....! Some even do it intentionally to confuse some thirsty men... Its not cool at all I must confess...

Learn to discipline yourself when You are in public, like some ladies even if dem wear the shortest skirt for this life, if You like stretch your neck You no go see anything why because she knows how to sit properly! ladies abeg learn to sit properly to avoid stories that touch ... If You know say your cloth short and You no fit sit don with your legs tightly closed kindly use handkerchief cover am and even if them take am swear for You say your legs must alway dey open at least try and wear a clean pant nobi pant wey person go see begin vomit for road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

skirtgirl wrote: »
    "See if ur sister was meeting a fella for a good while and the fella started feeling her up in front of ya and tried to go off with ur sisters best friend within a hour of each other. Wat would ya do? Fill me in"

Why would anyone even post this?!

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭skirtgirl

BNMC wrote: »
    This.

unfortunately the replies range from
    "box da head of him hahah"

To
    "go physico"

To

"take a selphie"

And op again

"Believe me i do have smile on my face he fell up d road so i dunno it wasn me anyways wat ever happened him. Still n all ur best friend shouldn have ya charged for something wen he in the wrong and still shouldn anyways bloods ticker than water"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

mauzo! wrote: »
    Dont ask why Im on a Nigerian sex therapy facebook page.

In fairness it is a lot easier to read than the Lanzarote guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

From what I gather, word on the grapevine is that this is completely made up for attention and/or in defense of himself (a straight guy) having a jaunt on the wild side with another gay guy.

Definitely not for facebook though!

Especially if this guy wants to avoid a lawsuit. :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement