Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Just witnessed a theft of a bike on O'Connell street, absolute scumbag.

Didn't see him cut the lock but he hopped on it, cycled off and stopped to put the u lock and cable into the bin. (I know it wasn't his, nor was it his first bike stolen)

It was a white Trek I think (possibly a Giant) road bike, nothing is safe unfortunately! Leaves someone down around 600+ Id say judging by the bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭De Bhál

A litter conscious scrote. That's one for the books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 donalmoore

Had my one year old black TREK 7.2 D stolen on Monday from TCD

[IMG]http://C:\Documents and Settings\moored2\Desktop[/IMG] had a pannier rack fitted since the pic

Would really like to see it back.........

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

666bxg wrote: »
    Hi I need a bit of advice here.

I've came across a bike being sold that matches the description of a bike that was stolen a while ago.

The thing is I've been unable to contact the person that reported the bike stolen. As such I'm unable to confirm whether this is the same bike that was stolen.

Do I inform the Gardai? Or do I wait until I get in touch with person first?

Cheers

Can you not simply PM the person who posted the description here to see if they reckon it's theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

luketitz wrote: »
    Can you not simply PM the person who posted the description here to see if they reckon it's theirs?

Just to clarify the lost bike was advertised on a different 'advertisement' platform, not here.

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Hi all,

White Claud Butler Urban 500 bike Stolen tonight, Sunday 17th, outside my house Douglas, Cork. Sometime between 19:15 and 20:15

Update 19/11/13

Bike Found by a good Samaritan and posted here on boards.ie! Thanks to everyone!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

My KTM Strada 1000 was stolen from the basement carpark of where I work on Fenian St on the evening of Friday 15th. It was locked with a motorbike lock which eventually gave way.
    59cm red/white frame bought in 2009.

red vattoria front tyre
    blue bottle cage
    shimano PD-A530 pedals
    SKS Raceblade mudguards

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Bougeoir

Hey there,

Yesterday (Tuesday 20th November 2013) my Raleigh Evo-7 folding bike was stolen outside Rockfitness Gym in Dundrum between 3pm and 4pm. The lock of mine and of another gym member's bike were cut. The Gardaí arrived and took down a description. It's a folding bike, pewter in colour, the right peddle which is meant to fold is broken (it's stuck and won't flip up), it's got a silver bell on the left-side of the handle-bar and a light on the right and under the saddle there's the back light. I bought it in Halford's Carrickmines in September. Absolutely fuming! If anybody sees it, please PM me! Thanks! Here's a generic picture of the bike as I don't have a personal one... :/338662?$PDP_MAIN$

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Bougeoir wrote: »
    Hey there,

Yesterday (Tuesday 20th November 2013) my Raleigh Evo-7 folding bike was stolen outside Rockfitness Gym in Dundrum between 3pm and 4pm. The lock of mine and of another gym member's bike were cut. The Gardaí arrived and took down a description. It's a folding bike, pewter in colour, the right peddle which is meant to fold is broken (it's stuck and won't flip up), it's got a silver bell on the left-side of the handle-bar and a light on the right and under the saddle there's the back light. I bought it in Halford's Carrickmines in September. Absolutely fuming! If anybody sees it, please PM me! Thanks! Here's a generic picture of the bike as I don't have a personal one... :/

Wow, I've locked my bike there so many times! I always felt safe locking my bike outside that gym since the rack is next to the front door and in view of a few windows. Any luck getting CCTV footage?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Bougeoir

Jk_Eire wrote: »
    Wow, I've locked my bike there so many times! I always felt safe locking my bike outside that gym since the rack is new to the front door and in view of a few windows. Any luck getting CCTV footage?
    Get this! They don't even have cctv! I kid you not! If I were you I wouldn't lock it outside there. Those bicycle thieves seem to manage to cut through most locks. They've got a back garden. I'd kindly request to lock it up there. My mother's bike also got robbed in Dundrum about three years ago. They come down from Kilcross to knick bikes... :-\

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I asked the lads in my gym about locking my bike at the front entrance to the gym,They have some rails there one of them asked me was the bike expensive I said yes and he told me not to bother.:eek:
    Looks like you cannot bring a bike any where these days, I'm still paranoid about leaving my bike in the shed since the break in a few months back even though I made changes to the locks and hinges.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

I'm planning on buying a second hand bike for the missus from Done Deal over the weekend. Seems legit on the face of it but don't want to buy a stolen bike, any advice on what I should look out for to make sure it isn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Valentine1 wrote: »
    I'm planning on buying a second hand bike for the missus from Done Deal over the weekend. Seems legit on the face of it but don't want to buy a stolen bike, any advice on what I should look out for to make sure it isn't?

A proof of purchase? Which is probably as not, unlikely. Most bikes sold are legit. I wouldn't worry too much about it. That said, if you're offered a two grand road bike for a couple of hundred by Anto McToerag, I'm sure intuition would steer you clear...

endacl wrote: »
    A proof of purchase? Which is probably as not, unlikely. Most bikes sold are legit. I wouldn't worry too much about it. That said, if you're offered a two grand road bike for a couple of hundred by Anto McToerag, I'm sure intuition would steer you clear...

Its a good price but not that good:P. hopefully he is just a motivated seller and not McToerag, will find out!

Ive seen numerous shady characters with completely new and expensive looking bikes around O'Connell street lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Anyone missing a black Giant tcx, Clontarf Killester area of Dublin.
    Bike I came across was missing it's rear wheel.
    If you think it's yours or may know the owner pm me for info on recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bonzo_k

As per title, my lovely 2010 21'' Specialized Rockhopper Pro was stolen this morning at 4.50 am. It was in my garden shed ( bad idea ). The thief gained access via a back gate into the garden. This happened on the Kilbarrack Road. I am very very sad to lose this bike :(

Distinguishing Features:

Metallic Bronze / Brown Color

It had a slight buckle in the back wheel

The rear disk break rubbed against the pad and caused a slight squeaked when wheel rotated

The left front grip on the handlebars was a bit loose.

Its identical to this one ( not mine )

MyBike.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I am gutted for you , it's such a rotten feeling. Bloody b*stards deserve to rot in hell :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bonzo_k

Amazingfun wrote: »
    I am gutted for you , it's such a rotten feeling. Bloody b*stards deserve to rot in hell :(

Thanks !

The annoying thing is I heard a noise at 4.50 and was going to investigate when I got distracted by my daughter crying. I was down stairs at 5.00.

If she hadn't woken, I would have caught the C**T

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'm doing a bit of an investigation into bike theft at the moment. What needs to be done in Dublin to tackle this problem? A bike register? Tougher sentences for those caught? Figuring out where exactly the bikes are being sold? (surely they are not all being sold on done deal, adverts and gumtree).

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Tusky wrote: »
    Figuring out where exactly the bikes are being sold?
    Even if anyone has any ideas, do not post details here . Any questions please PM me.

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Heard from the Gardai today that the owner of the Giant bike I came across last week has been reunited with it. Culprits caught and now have a day out in court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Tusky wrote: »
    I'm doing a bit of an investigation into bike theft at the moment. What needs to be done in Dublin to tackle this problem? A bike register? Tougher sentences for those caught? Figuring out where exactly the bikes are being sold? (surely they are not all being sold on done deal, adverts and gumtree).

All fantastic ideas. A bike register is a basic necessity. Tougher sentences - or *appropriate* sentences, and also having the kids who steal bikes talk to the people they steal from, who can say "This is the bike I ride every day, to work, then in the evenings I go for a spin; it cost me €1,000, and I had to pay that over two years, week by week" - it's not so easy to steal from a nice person with a human face (unless you're a psychopath, which most bike thieves aren't, just boys gone wrong).
    Figuring out where the bikes are being sold - yes. It would be great to have GPS trackers on a large random number of bikes for a few months, and for the Gardaí to track those which are stolen.
    I'd suggest that one major problem in bike theft is that Ireland really doesn't have a concept of theft by receiving stolen goods. A few highly-publicised cases of people prosecuted and fined heavily for buying stolen bicycles might do more than anything else to stop bicycle theft.

The sooner these are available the better.

http://www.thetileapp.com

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Hey there,

This is my 2014 Giant Escape 2 (black) stolen from outside Cafe Di Napoli, Westland Row, on Saturday 30th November. It would have been stolen between 6:40pm-8pm.

Thieving b**tards cut through an Abus Special Lock Cobra which I wove through an Abus U-lock (this, along with the front wheel, were left behind).

Bike had light mounts just under the saddle (for rear) and to the left of the middle of the handlebars (front light). Bike had front and rear mudguards (black) and might have been seen being walked down Westland Row (or perhaps loaded into a van) with the front wheel missing.

Paid 475 euro for this less than three weeks ago - also hadn't gotten it insured yet.

If you saw/see this bike, please PM me and call the gardai. Thanks.

2014_Giant_Escape_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    Thieving b**tards cut through an Abus Special Lock Cobra which I wove through an Abus U-lock (this, along with the front wheel, were left behind).

I'm sorry you had your bike swiped. Unfortunately, even though you had the right locks you may not have been using them to their optimum. This isn't much solace to you, but for those reading on the following may be helpful.

- A u-lock should ideally be put around the seat stays or chain stays and then the bike post. Alternatively, you can put the u-lock around the portion of the rear wheel that is between the chain stays and the seat stays (Sheldon Brown, bike guru, recommends this method). The cable should be looped through the front wheel and onto the u-lock.

All cable locks are easily overcome so only use them as a backup to secure a wheel, or trailer, rather than the frame of the bike.

It is grim but horribly true that you should lock your bike beside some other unfortunate that doesn't know how to lock their bike correctly for maximum chance that your bike will be there when you come back (but maybe not theirs :( ).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Its pissing me off how this thread is at Page 102.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

Zyzz wrote: »
    The sooner these are available the better.

http://www.thetileapp.com

Looks like an interesting idea, however you are relying on the general public being as tech savvy as you are. Where do you reckon the place on a bike would be to secure the tile? I reckon underneath the chainset/bottom bracket on underside of frame. In the saddle would also be hidden well, however that is a very interchangeable part of the bike, and maybe taken off the bike soon after its gone missing. Ill buy one but I doubt many others will pick up on it. In California you'd probably be laughing.

check_six wrote: »
    ...It is grim but horribly true that you should lock your bike beside some other unfortunate that doesn't know how to lock their bike correctly for maximum chance that your bike will be there when you come back (but maybe not theirs :( ).

Its very sad to say but anytime I lock my bike anywhere I select a spot based almost entirely on the bikes locked around it. the thieves will always find away to beat your lock the best way to ensure your bike isn't stolen is to make it less amenable to theft compared to the bike beside it. A thief is less likely to take on my beater with the two locks when there is a shiny hybrid with only one lock just a few feet away.

As the old saying goes; you don't need to out run the lion, just the other guy.

• Advertisement

Looks like an interesting idea, however you are relying on the general public being as tech savvy as you are. Where do you reckon the place on a bike would be to secure the tile? I reckon underneath the chainset/bottom bracket on underside of frame. In the saddle would also be hidden well, however that is a very interchangeable part of the bike, and maybe taken off the bike soon after its gone missing. Ill buy one but I doubt many others will pick up on it. In California you'd probably be laughing.

I understand your point and agree but look at the amount of things that go missing everyday from keys to phones and bikes to cars that people would love to get back..

The more people that buy these things and download the app (look at how many iPhones/smartphones there are) the cheaper and smaller they are going to get. A feature that would be great would be that a message is sent to your phone if the thing is moved, that would be incredibly beneficial for bikes!

We could argue night and day about this but I believe this device (and the following updates) will save us a lot of money :)

Advertisement