Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

Did you
    join Chaos Servant Covenant to +2?
    You can't save him any other way than this as you need to access the Shortcut to Lost Izalith before actually going there.
    Yep. I'm pretty sure I followed the wiki to the letter. I didn't go to Izalith but he was there in the shortcut as soon as I went to kill the bugs. Ah well, it gets worse. This game is out to get me.

On the bright side, I got to lay a smack down on an invader. I was summoned to help a guy against the centipede demon and when being summoned I found him running up the trunk chased by an invader. Now, I suck at PvP. I spent ages in the forest having guys running rings around me before getting stabbed in the back or blasted with magic from a mile away. But being summoned right next to someone on a high, windy ledge with nowhere to go? Heaven for a tank :D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i love this game up until I get the lordvessel.. but once I have to get the four lord souls I kinda lose interest

first playthrough I just didn't enjoy it as much as the rest of the game, second I did it just .. because i wanted to finish this game

third time around.. I've no interest. just going around killing npc's for the sake of it. trying to remember where I left solaire so I can murder him now

• Registered Users Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Haha , I hate all of it but still love playing it ! I have the gargoyles next on new character then the horrible Capra demon , then the depths and blight town !!!

I do enjoy sens fortress and anor Londo though !

I'm not great at games , so this is my last character I have using the bottomless box trick before the patch. Makes it a bit easy , but it keeps me interested. My only mistake was giving away 45 large slabs to people who summoned me for help. A pain having to kill the stray demon just for one slab

• Registered Users Posts: 22 deadeye940

Also just got the game after a friend recommended it. Has been great so far, but only rang the first bell. not going to say what happens, but damn, game can be frustrating, especially when you start thinking you can kick ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

I'm probably the only one of this opinion but I preferred how tightly focused Demon's Souls was. I've played through Dark Souls once but after that I feel no compulsion to do it again, mostly because of how long it takes to get through everything.
    Or maybe it's just that it was my first playthrough so naturally I took longer. The fact that I wasn't that into the PvP probably didn't help either.

Seeing as this has been out for a while, is min-maxing the only way to go in PvP? I've a friend who mostly does giantdad and other min-maxed builds, which isn't really something I'm into.

• Advertisement

What is everyone's favorite boss battle? also, most annoying/hated boss battle, or enemy battle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

deadeye940 wrote: »
    What is everyone's favorite boss battle? also, most annoying/hated boss battle, or enemy battle

mine was nito
    enjoyed it the most

smough and orstein? cant remember, they were the most gratifying after i beat them

most annoying had to be, demon thing when you return to tutorial area
    melted my head so much...

until i found out how to beat it
    now its quite easy but that boss stressed me out

New to the series, and just got to the capra demon. Bastard has killed me a couple of times, but playing as a bandit, so I need to get better ranged weaponry. Maybe some magic lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I'm probably the only one of this opinion but I preferred how tightly focused Demon's Souls was. I've played through Dark Souls once but after that I feel no compulsion to do it again, mostly because of how long it takes to get through everything.
    Or maybe it's just that it was my first playthrough so naturally I took longer. The fact that I wasn't that into the PvP probably didn't help either.

Seeing as this has been out for a while, is min-maxing the only way to go in PvP? I've a friend who mostly does giantdad and other min-maxed builds, which isn't really something I'm into.

You have to min/max to compete unfortunately with the current meta game and if your friend plays Giantdad builds then he's pure scum and his copy of Dark Souls should be taken off him!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

third time around.. I've no interest. just going around killing npc's for the sake of it. trying to remember where I left solaire so I can murder him now

I know you said previously that online isn't your fortay, but maybe doing a PvP build next? Pretty much I find that anyone who completes the game usually play again for PvP.

Or perhaps create a new character but do it hardcore like doing a SL1 run? It makes the game alot more challenging and tense again because you can't wield all the high tier stuff.
    deadeye940 wrote:
    New to the series, and just got to the capra demon. Bastard has killed me a couple of times, but playing as a bandit, so I need to get better ranged weaponry. Maybe some magic lol

Magic/Ranged weapons won't do squat once you enter that fog gate. The Capra demon fight is to teach you about blocking and rolling in tight spaces. Usually when I enter the fog gate I run right then roll left and Im hopefully at the stairs intact, run up the stairs and kill dogs. Lure Capra up and jump down, when he jumps down do a hit few hits, go upstairs and jump plunge attack. Block when needed.
    Big Knox wrote:
    You have to min/max to compete unfortunately with the current meta game and if your friend plays Giantdad builds then he's pure scum and his copy of Dark Souls should be taken off him!!! :P

Wat r u? Casul? :D

Giantdads are essentially the PvP builds to try reflect as close a build as possible to the players who used Havels set with Wood Grain (i.e Havels flipping about the place). Basically Giantdad is huge Protection, fast rolling (but not flipping) and huge damage output if they go for that Chaos Zweihander.

I honestly just go for the build I want to play as. If you're decent enough and comfortable in your own build you can do well in PvP.

• Advertisement

Wat r u? Casul? :D

Giantdads are essentially the PvP builds to try reflect as close a build as possible to the players who used Havels set with Wood Grain (i.e Havels flipping about the place). Basically Giantdad is huge Protection, fast rolling (but not flipping) and huge damage output if they go for that Chaos Zweihander.

I honestly just go for the build I want to play as. If you're decent enough and comfortable in your own build you can do well in PvP.

The newest Giantdad is 40 INT with moonlight greatsword instead of the chaos zwei and it's nasty but I just never seen the appeal, even going back to the Havels + DWGR days. Meh, same crowd who used the fog ring religiously before the change!

I love seeing GD's when I'm forest running, I just swap to my SKS and poke them to death. They usually get frustrated and rush in making it an easy kill. They are a pain though as one mistake and it's over for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

deadeye940 wrote: »
    Also just got the game after a friend recommended it. Has been great so far, but only rang the first bell. not going to say what happens, but damn, game can be frustrating, especially when you start thinking you can kick ass

Good stuff, another damned soul enters the fray.

You'll get more of a discussion here on the main Dark Souls thread btw.

Big Knox wrote: »
    You have to min/max to compete unfortunately with the current meta game and if your friend plays Giantdad builds then he's pure scum and his copy of Dark Souls should be taken off him!!! :p

Coming from Demon's Souls, I had little difficulty there in PvP unless it was a BP knocking me off the edges of Latria with firestorm or fireballs. My only experience in Dark Souls has been terrible lag and BPs whizzing around me for a backstab.
    As for my friend, he's a terminal min-maxer, fully aware of how broken the giantdad build is but he loves ganking low levelled players in Anor Londo all the same.

In fact he made a build (possibly a modified giantdad) that was-to quote him-unkillable at SL25.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What's a Giantdad?

I gave up on the PvP more or less, I'm in the Blades of the Darkmoon and every time I got called to someone's world they would be waiting with one or two of their friends to double team me.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    What's a Giantdad?

I gave up on the PvP more or less, I'm in the Blades of the Darkmoon and every time I got called to someone's world they would be waiting with one or two of their friends to double team me.

its basicly a haval build, yano havals armour
    wear that, and being able to roll easy so most people have 40+int , along with havals ring and another ring cant remember the name of it

its funny to watch :P because it aint actually too hard to kill someone wearing it, their still slow compared to my ninja build , Uchigatana+15 FTW:pac:

Coming from Demon's Souls, I had little difficulty there in PvP unless it was a BP knocking me off the edges of Latria with firestorm or fireballs. My only experience in Dark Souls has been terrible lag and BPs whizzing around me for a backstab.
    As for my friend, he's a terminal min-maxer, fully aware of how broken the giantdad build is but he loves ganking low levelled players in Anor Londo all the same.

In fact he made a build (possibly a modified giantdad) that was-to quote him-unkillable at SL25.

They are actually fine if you know how to handle them although they horribly counter the vast majority of builds due to them exceeding even the highest poise cap. Ranging them is the only option and even then it's difficult as they can close the gap quickly due to the fast roll. My build handles them thankfully, I swap to the silver knight spear and can keep max distance while poking them down. If they rush in, swap to BSS and punish with a roll BS and just repeat.
    What's a Giantdad?

Giantdad is a SL 100 or 125 build that puts 66 points into endurance so they can use full Giants set with Mask of the Father to maintain the fastest possible speed while breaking the highest poise cap so nothing can knock or stun them. It's a relentless build to fight as their defense is so high and you can't even stagger them and they can stun lock you with the 2 hand zweihander they use for an easy kill.

Havel's Armour? I always saw it being used with Giant Armour, hence the name. The ring you're thinking of is Ring of Favour and Protection.

AFAIR, it is possible to fastroll in it.

Friendly warning: the music is obnoxious and the voice is pretty loud but it does detail the build and give a demonstration.

im more than a little confused by the mlg logo at 1:38

although dark souls pvp would make a more interesting esport than ****ing console shooters

If they fix their netcode and server issues, reduce the backstab window by a large margin and reduce the invincibility frames even further during the fast roll then it would be a glorious set-up for Dark Souls 2 and push the pvp scene even further!

Although as much as I love Fromsoft, I doubt we will see this happening! :(

Dark Souls creator said he would be putting more care into the PC version so hopefully we'll have a more polished and less frustrating online experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

MLG = Major League Gaming. Basically he is being a try hard :P

I'm just coming up to the boss in Anor Londo, how far into the game % wise would ye think I am?

past half way
    4 more areas after that, and the dlc if you've that left to do

then the main boss

MLG = Major League Gaming. Basically he is being a try hard :P

I'm just coming up to the boss in Anor Londo, how far into the game % wise would ye think I am?

30% if i had to guess

you still have quite alot more bosses to face :P

Probably about half way id say. Depends on what you've also done in Anor Londo (i.e gone to the Painted World?). If you have the DLC there is a potential total of 12 or so more bosses left to fight, this includes optional bosses and also if you've defeated all bosses so far up until Anor Londo.

dont forget sif :P he has to kill him as well
    no option :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Wish I had grabbed the DLC when it was still on offer.

Don't think I have too much left, just entering The Crystal Cave now. I'va also done as far as the Bonfire in Giants Tomb but got fed up with the section and warped out of it, will probably go back to it next.

what's the deal with SIf? You definitely have to kill him don't you?

Hmm, seems I have plenty left so.

Of what I have seen in-game but didn't go near yet I have Demon Ruins bar killing Ceaseless discharge, haven't touched Darkroot Basin/Forest really bar up to the hidden bonfire, New Londo Ruins and the Valley of the Drakes as well.

Also I don't know what the Painted World is so I m assuming I don't have that done :)

Great stuff, loads left to get through! Think I have about 25 hours put in so far.

I don't have the DLC unfortunately, may pick it up on psn if it's worth it?

Wish I had grabbed the DLC when it was still on offer.

Don't think I have too much left, just entering The Crystal Cave now. I'va also done as far as the Bonfire in Giants Tomb but got fed up with the section and warped out of it, will probably go back to it next.

what's the deal with SIf? You definitely have to kill him don't you?

yes you do
    you get an item off him to face a certain boss :P

Hmm, seems I have plenty left so.

Of what I have seen in-game but didn't go near yet I have Demon Ruins bar killing Ceaseless discharge, haven't touched Darkroot Basin/Forest really bar up to the hidden bonfire, New Londo Ruins and the Valley of the Drakes as well.

Also I don't know what the Painted World is so I m assuming I don't have that done :)

Great stuff, loads left to get through! Think I have about 25 hours put in so far.

I don't have the DLC unfortunately, may pick it up on psn if it's worth it?

have you gone back to the undead asylum after ringing the first bell?

• Advertisement

have you gone back to the undead asylum after ringing the first bell?

I did before Blighttown to get the Rusted Iron Ring but got owned by the boss, it may be time to give him another visit :D

Advertisement