Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Pleased with the performance of the county team so far. Manfromcheese will second me on this when I say congrats to Michael Ryan and the management team for doing a good job so far.

However I don't expect us to collect any points in our next game as no county goes to Nolan Park and beats kilkenny on their home training ground. They will also be mad keen to get points on the board after their opening two away losses. Hope to see a good performance by our lads though. Our defence looks solid, some of the newer lads in the forwards are stepping up to the plate and the fitness of the team seems to be very good so well done to the physical trainer on that point.

Probably stating the obvious but I reckon the last two games against Tipp and Galway at home will determine if we enter a relegation play off, finish 4th or reach the semi's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Black Suir wrote: »

Someone told me that when Niall Carew took over the Waterford footballers, Ian Galgey was called up to be part of the panel, but for some reason pulled out. Someone said he was not able for the committment. Why ever he pulled out its a shame as I have seen him play for Mount Sion a few times and is a quite a good footballer.
    commitment me eye if michael ryan came calling commitment wouldnt be an issue. hed probably be too embarrassed to be seen playin the game by his clubmates such is the attitude up there

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

alllcounty wrote: »
    no county goes to Nolan Park and beats kilkenny on their home training ground.

Waterford have won their twice in the league in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Giveitfong wrote: »

2000 and 2004 stretches 'recent' to breaking point, although seeing as our only previous wins there over Kilkenny go back to the 1950's even those two wins represent progress of a sort. P26 W4 D1 L21. Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

robopaddy wrote: »
    commitment me eye if michael ryan came calling commitment wouldnt be an issue. hed probably be too embarrassed to be seen playin the game by his clubmates such is the attitude up there

What had Mount Sion got to do with the disgraceful situation with the Under 21 footballers think about that when you say up there. Football would not be the number 1 code for Mount Sion but any lad that wore a Waterford shirt from Mount Sion always done so with great pride. If an engine is not working properly you don't repair it by throwing a spanner at it.
    I taught the lads were treated with contempt Wednesday evening, I'd say whoever organized that would have panicked if they had won. Just imagine what would have happened if they had trained like Tipp did. When I read about the way the team were informed and prepared for the game I taught the lad's should have went out on the pitch and stood still for the whole game it would have done more and showed up what a farce it is in this county at the present. What an insult on the tenth anniversary of that great win against Kerry in Walsh Park. Well done to the lads though they were very honest and if only they could have given Tipp a right good game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

I'm just hoping for a good performance from them on Monday. A fight to the end, I can't really see us beating Kk at home. But then again stranger things have happened.

Is Tommy Walsh out over getting the red card in the tipp game.
    ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

Two yellows

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Giveitfong wrote: »

Didn't realise we won there in 00 & 04. Still though most counties rarely win in nolan park against kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Bookies give +6 to KK, I would hope they could do better than that ,I think if the conditions are good threes a chance,however slim .

I would love for it to happen just to wipe the smugness of the critics faces,they must get so very tired of being wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Dickys Back Garden

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    What had Mount Sion got to do with the disgraceful situation with the Under 21 footballers think about that when you say up there. Football would not be the number 1 code for Mount Sion but any lad that wore a Waterford shirt from Mount Sion always done so with great pride. If an engine is not working properly you don't repair it by throwing a spanner at it.
    I taught the lads were treated with contempt Wednesday evening, I'd say whoever organized that would have panicked if they had won. Just imagine what would have happened if they had trained like Tipp did. When I read about the way the team were informed and prepared for the game I taught the lad's should have went out on the pitch and stood still for the whole game it would have done more and showed up what a farce it is in this county at the present. What an insult on the tenth anniversary of that great win against Kerry in Walsh Park. Well done to the lads though they were very honest and if only they could have given Tipp a right good game.

Fair play McC37. Was going to reply to his "attitude up there" remark but hoped someone else might save me the rage! And you have restored my faith that this forum is not dominated by those with age old chips on shoulders that are crippling them. Agree too re footballers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Same team named as the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭skaface

U21 A Western Football Final Result

BALLINACOURTY 2 - 11

ST. OLIVERS 1 - 11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

alllcounty wrote: »
    Pleased with the performance of the county team so far. Manfromcheese will second me on this when I say congrats to Michael Ryan and the management team for doing a good job so far.

However I don't expect us to collect any points in our next game as no county goes to Nolan Park and beats kilkenny on their home training ground. They will also be mad keen to get points on the board after their opening two away losses. Hope to see a good performance by our lads though. Our defence looks solid, some of the newer lads in the forwards are stepping up to the plate and the fitness of the team seems to be very good so well done to the physical trainer on that point.

Probably stating the obvious but I reckon the last two games against Tipp and Galway at home will determine if we enter a relegation play off, finish 4th or reach the semi's.
    they did well v clare, should have beaten cork, why they didnt bring cork into lions den in walsh park is beyond me but thats a co board issue, not a management issue but i suppose they could have pushed it if they wanted to...i think we need at least 1 more win, cant see us beating kk or tipp so that leaves galway at home being our best bet, but after galway losing last week it puts them under pressure, a v competitive league so far, main thing is is that we keep our div 1 status....a few of the younger lads have started to show something in the league, they need to drive that on now, hope darragh fives can stay injury free, hes a massive prospect and has an ocean of ability, lads like sully have really been hurling well too and we need the experienced lads at the top of their game and stay injury free, clare will be a huge game for us and that isnt all that far away.

they did well v clare, should have beaten cork, why they didnt bring cork into lions den in walsh park is beyond me but thats a co board issue, .

Surely It's a finances issue, the board aren't exactly flash with the cash,and likely got an extra 10 grand or so by moving it to get more langers in

Surely It's a finances issue, the board aren't exactly flash with the cash,and likely got an extra 10 grand or so by moving it to get more langers in

The Waterford - Cork game was fixed for The Fraher Field when the League games were announced.. Walsh Park isin,t the only field in the County;)
    I don,t think the game would have went ahead there, given the weather conditions that day.

Don't think there is an issue here. Also, this is the first and hopefully the last time I'll hear anyone refer to Walsh Park as 'the lions den'.

Good luck to our County teams this weekend.
    Should be a Big crowd in Nowlan Park for the Local Derby !!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

Half Time Leitrim 1-9 Waterford 2-3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Currently Leitirm 3-14 Waterford 2-6, looks like it's very much back to the drawing board...

Don't think there is an issue here. Also, this is the first and hopefully the last time I'll hear anyone refer to Walsh Park as 'the lions den'.

well fraher field is a disgrace, dead atmosphere in the place, dressing rooms like a cow shed...im sure the cork boys would prefer dungarvan over walsh park and if the waterford co board are more concerned with finances, as suggested here, over succees of our co team then we surely are fcuked....flip side to that is, how much would the finances be down next year if we were relegated? how many people would pay to see waterford v carlow in the league? having the game last week in fraher field had nothing to do with getting more langers in for the game at all id imagine, just a western biased co board!! walsh park IS the lions den and the heartbeat of waterford hurling! leave the football to fraher field if thats what they want, who really cares, but leave the hurling to walsh park!

• Advertisement

well fraher field is a disgrace, dead atmosphere in the place, dressing rooms like a cow shed...im sure the cork boys would prefer dungarvan over walsh park and if the waterford co board are more concerned with finances, as suggested here, over succees of our co team then we surely are fcuked....flip side to that is, how much would the finances be down next year if we were relegated? how many people would pay to see waterford v carlow in the league? having the game last week in fraher field had nothing to do with getting more langers in for the game at all id imagine, just a western biased co board!! walsh park IS the lions den and the heartbeat of waterford hurling! leave the football to fraher field if thats what they want, who really cares, but leave the hurling to walsh park!

I'm sorry, I have to disagree with most all of your narrow city propaganda (and I am cityside)

We are Déise, we are not KK we don't forget the team exists until the AI final ,we work with our team ,we support our team, we wish them well on the street, if the team does well we ,we share them in their successes,and if they lose,we support them even more ,I was on the quay in '08 when 10,000 turned out to welcome the guys home,and I can tell you your type of naysaying doesn't belong,they deserve our support and admiration from clashmore to hookhead .

I support the Déise not only because it's ,my birthright (my upbringing is a little complicated) I do so because every year someone says they'e finished,and are proven wrong, an I take great inspiration from that into my personal life.

If you are more interested in your mt sion/city agenda than the best interests of our team, you have no business here

I think he's right that less people would turn out to games if we were relegated.

I was there on the quay in 2008 as well though and it was something special. Contrast that with a county substantially bigger in Tipperary, and I believe they only had 2,000 there when the team came home in 2011.

I have to say though, if anyone was to make the insinuation that we didn't beat Cork last week because the game wasn't in Walsh Park to anyone outside of Waterford, they'd laugh at you and walk away. I'd imagine there's a fair few Waterford people who would do likewise. And I actually kind of wish the game had been played in Walsh Park now, so that the City boys (well the ones that are arguing against Fraher Field for some reason) could see how it would have turned out. I'd say the game would have been close to abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Interesting result tonight with Clare beating Cork by 6pts in Pairc Ui Rinn. It means that for certain we will need to win at least 1 of the 3 remaining games to avoid a relegation play off and also perhaps it shows that Cork were a bit overrated following the opener v Tipp. Its hard to read too much into these early season games but it all looks to be very competitive and will doubtless go all the way down to the last round of games

I'm sorry, I have to disagree with most all of your narrow city propaganda (and I am cityside)

We are Déise, we are not KK we don't forget the team exists until the AI final ,we work with our team ,we support our team, we wish them well on the street, if the team does well we ,we share them in their successes,and if they lose,we support them even more ,I was on the quay in '08 when 10,000 turned out to welcome the guys home,and I can tell you your type of naysaying doesn't belong,they deserve our support and admiration from clashmore to hookhead .

I support the Déise not only because it's ,my birthright (my upbringing is a little complicated) I do so because every year someone says they'e finished,and are proven wrong, an I take great inspiration from that into my personal life.

If you are more interested in your mt sion/city agenda than the best interests of our team, you have no business here
    `

well, im not from the city and im not a mt sion man either!! i flew home from abroad for the 08 all ireland and ive been going to see waterford hurl since the 80s so dont try be patronising here at all butty, i know what it is to support waterford and who gave you the right to tell me where and what i can do with my business....
    fact of the matter is, fraher field is a disgrace, ive been to games there and have played there many many times and it is both an awful venue for a spectator as it is a player...i think there was another thread on this forum complaining about fraher field since the cork game, so i know my view is held far and wide....
    im far from pro kk but if you think theyr support just shows up to AI finals your wide off the mark and to be honest, your knowledge or lack thereof of what hurling is about is really telling....
    the game last wk fixed for fraher field had nothing to do with coffers and it certainly wasnt geared towards giving any advantage to waterford so ill leave those reasons for the choosing of venue open to speculation...

I think he's right that less people would turn out to games if we were relegated.

I was there on the quay in 2008 as well though and it was something special. Contrast that with a county substantially bigger in Tipperary, and I believe they only had 2,000 there when the team came home in 2011.

I have to say though, if anyone was to make the insinuation that we didn't beat Cork last week because the game wasn't in Walsh Park to anyone outside of Waterford, they'd laugh at you and walk away. I'd imagine there's a fair few Waterford people who would do likewise. And I actually kind of wish the game had been played in Walsh Park now, so that the City boys (well the ones that are arguing against Fraher Field for some reason) could see how it would have turned out. I'd say the game would have been close to abandoned.

well if it had been abondoned it could have been refixed for walsh park again so i dont see your point...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I dont want to get into any City/County bull$hit slagging contest and while I do admire the passion in your post, I would take issue with a couple of things in it.

Kilkenny hurling people are as supportive of their team as anyone else. They have as big (if not bigger) turn out for league games as ourselves for example. Like everywhere else there are a lot of people that will have an increased interest if the team goes further in a season, that happens here too - check the attendances for the early championship games the last couple of seasons, a fair amount of the amazing 10K that were on the Quay that night in 2008 were definitely not there against Clare in the Munster championship opener the last couple of years.

I'm not knocking our fans, we have a dedicated hardcore who will go along to games just like other counties, but we really shouldnt be putting ourselves up on a pedestal, human nature means that there will be more support of any team when they are successful and we are no different

KevIRL wrote: »
    I dont want to get into any City/County bull$hit slagging contest and while I do admire the passion in your post, I would take issue with a couple of things in it.

Kilkenny hurling people are as supportive of their team as anyone else. They have as big (if not bigger) turn out for league games as ourselves for example. Like everywhere else there are a lot of people that will have an increased interest if the team goes further in a season, that happens here too - check the attendances for the early championship games the last couple of seasons, a fair amount of the amazing 10K that were on the Quay that night in 2008 were definitely not there against Clare in the Munster championship opener the last couple of years.

I'm not knocking our fans, we have a dedicated hardcore who will go along to games just like other counties, but we really shouldnt be putting ourselves up on a pedestal, human nature means that there will be more support of any team when they are successful and we are no different

yes, the bandwaggoners, usually down the quay waving flags decked out in replica jersey with face painted, usually grown adults, would know the name of 5 players, they never played the game, have no attachment to a club and will get great tickets for the matchs and then leave with 15mins to go if we are losing and spend the week before the game telling any1 who'll listen that they are "goin to the gaaaah match at the weekend", the following week the munster rugby team will be their "thing"....
    plenty of that type in waterford alright.....

`
    fact of the matter is, fraher field is a disgrace, ive been to games there and have played there many many times and it is both an awful venue for a spectator as it is a player...i think there was another thread on this forum complaining about fraher field since the cork game, so i know my view is held far and wide....

That was one person complaining about stewarding, nothing to do with Fraher Field in reality. So far and wide is quite the overstatement.

I've played on Fraher Field several times and always look forward to it, it's a brilliant sod. There's been 4 or 5 games on it since last weekend and everyone that's come off it has talked about the good condition of the pitch is. My only issue with Walsh Park is the surface, which is scandalous. Watch the first 13 seconds even and you will see what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2RxI15zOJg

That was one person complaining about stewarding, nothing to do with Fraher Field in reality. So far and wide is quite the overstatement.

I've played on Fraher Field several times and always look forward to it, it's a brilliant sod. There's been 4 or 5 games on it since last weekend and everyone that's come off it has talked about the good condition of the pitch is. My only issue with Walsh Park is the surface, which is scandalous. Watch the first 13 seconds even and you will see what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2RxI15zOJg[/QUOTE]

so by showing me that clip, you mean to say fraher field has never been waterlogged? ive certainly played there when its been a complete mudbath...
    in reality that thread has everything to do with fraher field, the stewarding was a problem due to the facilities, the stand couldnt take the crowd that turned up...the dressing rooms are long and narrow and very inadequate for a team to tog out in, theres no room in there, physios usually have to set there tables up in the toilets / shower area, the showers are usually stone cold or they would scald you, theres a dead atmosphere in the ground, certainly as a player anyway, its just not a venue for hurling...walsh park is beautiful in summer, theres always an atmosphere and the dressing rooms are decent, the stand is far bigger also

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

KevIRL wrote: »
    Interesting result tonight with Clare beating Cork by 6pts in Pairc Ui Rinn. It means that for certain we will need to win at least 1 of the 3 remaining games to avoid a relegation play off and also perhaps it shows that Cork were a bit overrated following the opener v Tipp. Its hard to read too much into these early season games but it all looks to be very competitive and will doubtless go all the way down to the last round of games
    i think this is going to be one of the most open hurling championships in years. and dont right us off against kk on monday. not for a second.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement