Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That just doesn't make sense!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Wesley saying "was this before the Klingons joined the Federation?" in Samaratin Snare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Wesley saying "was this before the Klingons joined the Federation?" in Samaratin Snare

Probably just another example of the back story in TNG not being consistent with later events. I don't think he meant that the Klingons joined the Federation. Seeing as the Klingons didn't disappear after Praxis exploded, I doubt they ever entertained anything more than the alliance - much less joining the Federation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

EnterNow wrote: »
    The Enterprise wasn't built with Data in mind. He can be linked up to the computer via a hardline, we've seen that before win Engineering with Geordi etc. As for wireless, I dunno, maybe LCARS just isn't compatible with Data's programming & its just easier for him to use a terminal...you've seen how fast he can input right? ;)

but it's designed for wifi, sure look at all the portable sensors and padds and tricorders they have all the time. how hard could it be for him to have an wifi connection same as these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

but it's designed for wifi, sure look at all the portable sensors and padds and tricorders they have all the time. how hard could it be for him to have an wifi connection same as these?

But everything thats wireless is LCARS based, Data isn't. As said above, the best explanation is he uses the terminals to ape human behaviour as thats his main goal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

But everything thats wireless is LCARS based, Data isn't. As said above, the best explanation is he uses the terminals to ape human behaviour as thats his main goal

offtopic but dont think i havent noticed replacing walter white and jessie with "HAL". Bryan Cranston played Hal in Malcolm in the middle :D

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    offtopic but dont think i havent noticed replacing walter white and jessie with "HAL". Bryan Cranston played Hal in Malcolm in the middle :D

Breaking Bad has become possibly my favourite tv show of all time, the avatar will be back for the finale don't worry :D

yet they can plug him in no probs. I guess he must be a mac and the Ent a PC or something :D

yet they can plug him in no probs. I guess he must be a mac and the Ent a PC or something :D

At least they didn't have to do it that often :D

Data_head.jpg

yet they can plug him in no probs

Didn't Geordi normally have to 'design an interface' for things like that, I suspect another canon reason would be that Data would have limited exterior connectivity in order to offer him better security in case he would be ever captured.

Also LCARS pads likely wouldn't offer Data the same input speeds as a hardwired terminal do.

I dunno ok, thats just the way it is :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I suspect another canon reason would be that Data would have limited exterior connectivity in order to offer him better security in case he would be ever captured.

Yet there's an easy to access switch on his back to turn him off :P

• Advertisement

I think the most likely reason is that they probably just didn't think of linking Data to the ship wirelessly. We'd have it as a given now, because we have phones that actually fit in our pockets (and aren't the size of a brick), WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC or lots and lots of wireless sensors (Zigbee etc). When the show was originally written, digital mobile phone standards were still a work in progress. I think the mobile phone revolution of the 1990's helped to visualise what would be possible in the future. What did the writers have to play with? Analogue mobile phones or CB radio, perhaps?

They seemed to have anticipated a return to a more centralised vision of computing, and considering the cloud era (I dislike that word, but anyways) we're in they may not have been entirely off the mark. In retrospect, it seemed like that was a totally solved problem for them and it didn't seem to be an issue worthy of debate. A wasted opportunity, imho.

Who knows? Data might have been a special case. Not many Soong-type androids were ever built and I'd guess his architecture (for lack of a better word) may have been totally different to anything else in the Federation. Which meant that without special efforts from Geordi or Data, he may not have been able to connect to the ship without serious engineering and/or ingenuity. For example, see the picture of Data's head I posted earlier.

I think that we might sometimes forget that TNG is close to thirty years old, and that the writers were writing for the time and the world they were in.

And lets face it - even if they did think of that, they'd have to make sure that Data couldn't just wirelessly link to the ship and turn off the busted valve/forcefield/fire/etcetera right in front of them with a mere thought. Like all of the other times they have to conveniently disable the communications, replicators, transporters, life support or engines for the sake of the plot.

Kiith wrote: »
    Yet there's an easy to access switch on his back to turn him off :P

Deactivating him, & taking control over him are two very different things though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Deactivating him, & taking control over him are two very different things though

True enough. Even with Riker and Geordi in The Game, they cut his connections rather than try to take control of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I think that we might sometimes forget that TNG is close to thirty years old, and that the writers were writing for the time and the world they were in.

That is one sobering thought. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

I think the most likely reason is that they probably just didn't think of linking Data to the ship wirelessly. We'd have it as a given now, because we have phones that actually fit in our pockets (and aren't the size of a brick), WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC or lots and lots of wireless sensors (Zigbee etc). When the show was originally written, digital mobile phone standards were still a work in progress. I think the mobile phone revolution of the 1990's helped to visualise what would be possible in the future. What did the writers have to play with? Analogue mobile phones or CB radio, perhaps?

They seemed to have anticipated a return to a more centralised vision of computing, and considering the cloud era (I dislike that word, but anyways) we're in they may not have been entirely off the mark. In retrospect, it seemed like that was a totally solved problem for them and it didn't seem to be an issue worthy of debate. A wasted opportunity, imho.

Who knows? Data might have been a special case. Not many Soong-type androids were ever built and I'd guess his architecture (for lack of a better word) may have been totally different to anything else in the Federation. Which meant that without special efforts from Geordi or Data, he may not have been able to connect to the ship without serious engineering and/or ingenuity. For example, see the picture of Data's head I posted earlier.

And lets face it - even if they did think of that, they'd have to make sure that Data couldn't just wirelessly link to the ship and turn off the busted valve/forcefield/fire/etcetera right in front of them with a mere thought. Like all of the other times they have to conveniently disable the communications, replicators, transporters, life support or engines for the sake of the plot.

They handled access limitations pretty well with The Doctor in VOY who was essentially IN the computer. Even the command version of him couldn't do thought control.

But as you and other posters have said, the writers for that show had mobile phones and wireless computers to base their world off whereas the TNG writers were only on the cusp of those technologies.

If it was written now, Geordi would probably design a quantum device that Data could access a specific terminal (with human user level access) that worked over subspace, leading to some good twists on the whole "aliens have taken over the ship with forcefields/transporters/biological weapons"-type scenarios.

Data could be away planet-side or on a shuttle and eventually figure out that his access is to the main ship systems are blocked due to a hijack and then work out something with an environmental control bypass or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Gulliver wrote: »
    Data could be away planet-side or on a shuttle and eventually figure out that his access is to the main ship systems are blocked due to a hijack and then work out something with an environmental control bypass or something.

That's a other thing who designed their operating and technical systems. Are they running windows 3000? The amount of holes in their systems . Install a firewall lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Only getting back to this now :o
    The Enterprise wasn't built with Data in mind. He can be linked up to the computer via a hardline, we've seen that before win Engineering with Geordi etc. As for wireless, I dunno, maybe LCARS just isn't compatible with Data's programming & its just easier for him to use a terminal...you've seen how fast he can input right? ;)

Yeah and I suppose it did help to differentiate Data as being "humanoid but not human" when we see him do his super-speed.
    Yeah I suppose there should be, but for script/story reasons...it was better to have people in danger rather than safe from behind a viewer.
    The ambush could be set for later in the exploration - after they move out of camp. It just seemed odd to beam crew down without protection.
    Well the MACO's from ENT looked pretty badass. With armour its a tradeoff with speed & maneuverability so they prob chose to omit it.
    I must watch all of ENT. I kinda gave up with the whole time war and scenery-chewing acting.
    Can't really comment on that, I dunno anything about BSG...but in the Trek universe, shuttles arn't really gonna last long against Capitol ships
    I would imagine that a phaser bank can only emit so many streams, so your capitol ship would attempt to draw the heavy fire while the fighters did a 360 pattern to confuse targeting sensors. I wonder if you cut power as you approached the outer shield could you drift a fighter through?
    Border wars went back as far as TOS with the Klingon & Romulan borders.
    TNG dealt with Borg Invasion, one two parter & one movie really
    DS9 had the wormhole & a new enemy. Four seasons of war
    VOY was spend outside of the Federation
    ENT dealt with the invasion arc again, but only two seasons.

Starfleet may be more exploration based, but that doesn't mean that every other race is so inclined ;)
    Yeah, I know what your saying, but what I was getting at is that even though the shows are all about going boldly, why not pimp your weapons systems to the max with all ship classes before sending them out into the unknown. I'm sure first contact scenarios might be a bit awkward with a warship bristling with weaponry, but I'm sure a good delegation would smooth it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Saw the first 20 minutes or so of "Where No One Has Gone Before" last night and after the first hyper warp jump to the far side of the Triangulum Galaxy about 2.7million light years from the Milky Way. Geordi states that it will take 300 years at maximum warp to get home.

Fast forward to 2371, USS Voyager, is taken by the caretaker to the delta quadrant, a piffling 70000 light years from home, and from where it will take them approximately 70 years to get home travelling at maximum warp.

So on a Galaxy Class (max sustainable cruise Warp 9.2) it takes 300 years to travel 2.7 million light years but an Intrepid Class, (max sustainable cruise Warp 9.975) it takes 70 years to travel 70000 light years. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Obviously that's a continuity error.

However, did they actually say "70 years at maximum warp"? Because they never travel at maximum warp in Voyager - even when they're not wasting time at random planets. Yet three seasons in and Chakotay said it will now take 67 years to get home in the episode I watched yersterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Beefy78 wrote: »

However, did they actually say "70 years at maximum warp"? Because they never travel at maximum warp in Voyager - even when they're not wasting time at random planets. Yet three seasons in and Chakotay said it will now take 67 years to get home in the episode I watched yersterday.

Ah stop you with your rational analytical thinking!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

the fact that in all big explosions on the bridge they have rocks there for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

That, the Steamrunner and the Sabre were all lovely.
    I really liked where they were going with ship designs, pity that we never got to see a series with them

I dont really get why you would put the exit to the shuttle bay at the front of a ship. Any sort of movement from the main ship would make a shuttle launch more difficult.

Why would it?

Why would it?

As soon as the shuttle leaves direct contact with the shuttle bay floor it would need to instantly match the speed of the main ship is traveling at. If the speeds don't match exactly and the shuttle bay is at the front of the ship, the shuttle would crash off the back wall (assuming the ship is not traveling in reverse) If the shuttle bay is at the back of the ship, the shuttle will just leave the ship with no issue.

I assumed that's why they had the shuttle bay at the back of the Enterprise in TOS and TNG.

Nope. If it is travelling at Warp then it is within the warp field, of the ship and only has to compensate as it leave that.
    If it is travelling at impulse then the shuttle is travelling at impulse already, relative with the ship that it is leaving.

Nope.

I would really enjoy a bit of a debate on the impracticalities of a forward facing shuttle bay but posters who post one word dismissive sentences infuriate me. g'day sir.

I would really enjoy a bit of a debate on the impracticalities of a forward facing shuttle bay but posters who post one word dismissive sentences infuriate me. g'day sir.

Bye

the fact that in all big explosions on the bridge they have rocks there for some reason

ballast so the consoles stay in place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Beefy78 wrote: »

Yes they said 70 years at maximum warp. Watched the episode yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

i think part of that is they cant travel at maximum warp forever, only really in short bursts otherwise the Ent would be tearing around at 9.9 on every trip

Advertisement