Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

Heifers takings shelter in the snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

fr525size880.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    purebred CF51 heifer, was ai'd twice but I guess she didnt keep although i didnt notice her bulling after, calf must be off PT bull :rolleyes:
    i guess A calf is better than no calf anyway

You arrived at exactly where I'd be trying to get to. A live calf out of a heifer, nice and handy reared and all going well ready for the bull that bit handier. Plenty of time to go CH yet!
    The heifer looks to have a lovely bit of length to her. That calf will be a smasher, you wont be one bit sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Heifers takings shelter in the snow

Is there Maine Anjou in the spotty heifer?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

Kovu Murr wrote: »

Is there Maine Anjou in the spotty heifer?

Def not. Bought her from a neighbour n I doubt if he's ever heard of Maine Anjou. She's out of a sim x ch cow n lim stock bull. Not sure wer her colouring came out of. I'd imagine der is British Fr a couple of generation back on the cows side n perhaps that's wer the markings are coming from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Bizzum wrote: »
    You arrived at exactly where I'd be trying to get to. A live calf out of a heifer, nice and handy reared and all going well ready for the bull that bit handier. Plenty of time to go CH yet!
    The heifer looks to have a lovely bit of length to her. That calf will be a smasher, you wont be one bit sorry.

ya she is a nice enough heifer, the best thing about her is her temperament, she is fierce quiet, she seems to be ok for milk i think, her mother is a milky enough cow so hopefully she should be ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭stanflt

just do it wrote: »
    Keep the photos coming by the way. I may throw the odd slag in your direction, but don't worry, that's purely jealousy! Great to see an example of a well run farm on the best of land.

some more 2yo heifers

another FLT that calved last night010ums.jpg

a 1y 11month old UPH022zy.jpg

A second calver 3yo GIO left, 2yo uph in middle and a 2yo ROZ on right013xl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

img1131if.jpg

Don't mind me spent half an hour doing this:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

delaval wrote: »
    img1131if.jpg

do you still reckon your current grass is better than the silage in the pit ?

Bob, are you being mean to me again?
    This pic was taken 04/01/13!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Bob, are you being mean to me again?
    This pic was taken 04/01/13!!!!!

nope, just everyone has a different perception of good/bad silage and good/bad grass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭mf240

Grass looks ok to me plenty of green and that yellowy butt will be best eaten off.

Heifers are making there own silage spreading their own slurry and bedding there own shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

mf240 wrote: »
    Grass looks ok to me plenty of green and that yellowy butt will be best eaten off.

Heifers are making there own silage spreading their own slurry and bedding there own shed.

DMD up to 80
    crude protein >16%
    top class feed for growing heifers and milking cows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

6528074D.jpg

Calving end of feb to a lim bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3donz619airubd/2013-01-25%2015.46.13.jpg

Heifer will be two years old in April and getting the bull then, put a pic up before when she was 9 months old. She is huge now.

This is the other one same age
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dq8l5ieitlzob2t/2013-01-25%2015.50.41.jpg
    this is ch off aaxfr I kept for breeding, is in calf to parth. She'll be 2 in May.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/22e1dhpxb7hfo7t/2013-01-25%2015.49.48.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

do you still reckon your current grass is better than the silage in the pit ?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

Have two descent shorthorn bull calves comeing 10 months. I say they weigh in or around 360 a piece. What are the worth or should I be keeping them till the middle of march. West of ireland prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

johnpawl wrote: »

Heifer will be two years old in April and getting the bull then, put a pic up before when she was 9 months old. She is huge now.

very nice

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

In calf angus x heifers.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

img1131if.jpg

Don't mind me spent half an hour doing this:eek:

If only I could have had a photo like this, with that date printed on it (mid Jan) to show my dad last Oct, when he was refusing to leave some cover on afew paddocks ha!

That the N11 in the background?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

johnpawl wrote: »

Nice stock there are they the pb you bought last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

blue5000 wrote: »
    In calf angus x heifers.

Nice even bunch there Blue, Is there dairy blood in them?

Nice even bunch there Blue, Is there dairy blood in them?

Thanks, some of them are out of fr cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭limo_100

will they be calving down as two year olds blue??? what weight would they be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I was thinking that was the type of cow you went for alright. Have you them in calf to the aubrac or did you put a polly back on them again?

In calf angus x heifers.

What have you them in calf to? I'm trying to breed my replacements off cows like these using ozs limo

In calf to aubrac, due the first week march onwards. Bit disappointed with the weight in dec, av 450kg. I'll be feeding rolled oats up to calving. Ya calving at 2yrs, so I expect them to put on a bit more weight after calving.

jerdee wrote: »
    Nice stock there are they the pb you bought last year

They are ya, a sickening long wait to get anything back out of them.

In calf to aubrac, due the first week march onwards. Bit disappointed with the weight in dec, av 450kg. I'll be feeding rolled oats up to calving. Ya calving at 2yrs, so I expect them to put on a bit more weight after calving.

Will you keep the aubracs for replacements?

• Advertisement

Tim
    Not M11.These wrere weighed 1/10/12 av230kg getting no meal I will weigh gain on 1/2/13 when they go to Summer grazing. All other weanling heifs that weighed below were kept on grass with 2kg beef nuts. I will be interesting to see how they compare.
    We block graze all our weanlings each winter on ground cut off by phuckin' motorway and then use for silage. It's a bit challenging at the moment with all the rain I have some pics that I'll try to upload

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement