Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

saiint wrote: »
    he was borrowing :D id say he gave them back after christmas :pac:

Is that you Pat?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭wordsmithi

A person who receives a christmas card and uses tip-ex to change the names inside the card and sends it back because they are too mean to buy a packet of christmas cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

wordsmithi wrote: »
    A person who receives a christmas card and uses tip-ex to change the names inside the card and sends it back because they are too mean to buy a packet of christmas cards.

Ah now, surely a person that scabby would be too tight to fork out for a stamp? Anyway, I thought tippex was something you never owned again after the leaving cert.

Here's an update on the stingy fella I posted about a while back (the 40-something guy who lives at home and asks his mam for milk money if he has to buy a litre). He refuses to use shampoo/shower gel, claiming that he's "allergic", and now his grey hair (which is long enough to touch his shoulders because he only gets it cut once a year) is turning yellow at the ends. Stingy or just gross? Eeeeeew!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Vojera wrote: »
    Ah now, surely a person that scabby would be too tight to fork out for a stamp? Anyway, I thought tippex was something you never owned again after the leaving cert.

Here's an update on the stingy fella I posted about a while back (the 40-something guy who lives at home and asks his mam for milk money if he has to buy a litre). He refuses to use shampoo/shower gel, claiming that he's "allergic", and now his grey hair (which is long enough to touch his shoulders because he only gets it cut once a year) is turning yellow at the ends. Stingy or just gross? Eeeeeew!

Definitely both :eek: :pac:*vom*

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

miamee wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it was stinge or just disorganisation - he always buys nice presents
    "always buys nice presents" , not stinge.

Do any of ye reckon yer man should have gotten a second chance ?
    http://www.herald.ie/lifestyle/dear-rosanna-my-new-man-is-too-stingy-3042356.html
    Q I met a man at salsa class and was thrilled when he asked me to dinner. Now I'm worried about his meanness. He poured the wine left in our glasses back into the bottle, didn't offer me a drink when we were watching a DVD and said how delighted he was that there was enough spaghetti bolognese left to last him the weekend. It wasn't romantic when he turned off the lights, just dark as well as cold.

When I was high-tailing it out of his place he said our next date should be a picnic, and I'd be better at making sandwiches. He has an okay job. Should I wait for my birthday next week, and give him a chance to redeem himself? My mum says I'd be better off single, and maybe she's right, but she's not the one heading back to salsa.

A I'm a big believer in giving people a second chance. You said you were delighted when he asked you on a date, so there must be things that still attract you to him. He may be going through a tough time financially, and what you perceive as meanness is just him trying to be sensible with his money.

I would advise you to go on a second date with him and see how he acts. Don't actively search for signs of stingy behaviour, but don't be afraid to question him if he does suggest you make sandwiches for a picnic, or such. Even make a joke of it and get him to laugh at his own suggestions. See how you feel after the next date.

You may be able to look beyond this one aspect of his personality or you might decide he's not right for you.

Just don't be too quick to judge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭DramaQuee

Arghh, RUN a mile. Life heating your hands on a billycan without an arse in your trousers awaits with this gent. This is him being flahooloc, putting his best foot forward.

For a minute I was really in the wrong movie, picturing him at The Restaurant where he had brought you to dinner, putting the wine back into the bottles...... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

A friend of mine only sends out Christmas cards after he's managed to steam off and use the unmarked stamps of Christmas cards that he's received, when I confronted him about it he said the queue's were too long in the post office to buy stamps.

Can re-using stamps not be good economy and a charming idiosyncrasy???

I do things like that, but I am generous. I boil extra potatoes so I can make flat round chips (never go to chippers) or shepherd's pie later, that sort of thing. I cut the end off the makeup tube to get more out. They are harmless ways of stretching money. Then I spoil my friends :) Or pay my speeding fine :(

Which brings me to the scroogie guards catching loads of people so called 'speeding' at Christmas in soft target areas you know the places, 50 km zones on a dual carriageway. They probably catch one every few minutes, that is not fair. I guess they know people will be visiting friends and shopping centres in areas they don't often visit, so they will more than likely not realise they are suddenly in a 50km zone. And doing less than 40 MILES an hour on a dual carriageway, they are caught speeding. The signage is not adequate either, so loads of usually perfectly lawabiding citizens are caught and have to pay 80 quid and have 2 points on their licence. There should be a BIG sign saying SLOW, and huge gantries with LED lights every 100 yards along these areas, they are just traps.
    Christmas Guard 50km speeding tickets. REAL SCROUGE. But we'll hear about the wonderful Guards catching huge amounts of 'offenders' on our roads at Christmas including thousands of these intolerably unfair minor offences, that is misleading propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Did they claim back the tax on it ?
    It's the charity that claims the tax back, not the donor.
    So if they were a tax payer, provided their tax details (RSI no.), and the total donated was over €250 (but the individual donations were under €250), then the charity would have benefited by them being 'lumped' together.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 thedarwinfish

Kid who used be in the school I went to used to spit down the middle of a packet of polo mints rather than have to share any of them.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bbbbb wrote: »
    It's the charity that claims the tax back, not the donor.
    Technically you could hand over €250 to the charity and let them claim back another ~ €200.

You can then put your hand on your heart and say you've given €450 to charity ;)

Technically you could hand over €250 to the charity and let them claim back another ~ €200.

You can then put your hand on your heart and say you've given €450 to charity ;)

It's an ill wind that blows no-one any good ;) I have made inquiries, but still haven't found out if the prsi/tax number was given for this purpose. Interesting the things you people on here know.

Dying for stinge stories today, anyone anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Myself and a work friend were going to the afters of our managers wedding and we got him a €100 voucher to put in a card as he had been very good to us over the years. There was another work colleague also going to the wedding that didn't contribute to the the voucher and when we were signing the card, he grabbed it and said sure I'll sign it too!
    We would have got a new card had it not been for the fact that we were literally on he way in to the wedding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Should have scratched his name out (or hidden if behind a sketch or something)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Should have scratched his name out (or hidden if behind a sketch or something)

Exactly...Stingy bo**ox. God that carry on makes my blood boil:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Sparklygirl

jca wrote: »
    Exactly...Stingy bo**ox. God that carry on makes my blood boil:mad::mad:

There was a time when I would have been too embarressed to call someone up on this type of behaviour. Nowadays I would say out straight, no sure you didn't contribute to the present. We all know which one of our circles will pull these stunts and I have now copped onto it!......... at last!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Dartz

Heres one I do.

I get regular bottles of booze for Christmas.

I store them away safely, and the ones that don't get drunk get given away to different people next Christmas. Mostly because I don't really like them and dont really want to spend money on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Dartz wrote: »
    Heres one I do.

I get regular bottles of booze for Christmas.

I store them away safely, and the ones that don't get drunk get given away to different people next Christmas. Mostly because I don't really like them and dont really want to spend money on them.
    That's not stingy, bottles of whiskey must be the most commonly regifted item there is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

yeah i used to get bottles and bottles of whiskey of reps at xmas time, made handy gifts

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

I work in an electronic store (wont say where). Had to deal with a ceratin rte personality and selling them a videocamera, so sold them one and they had the cheek to argue for discount at the till.. wanted me to use my staff discount. I didnt give them a cent off even though I could have given him some cause the camera was the last model, safe to say they didn't get it. I am a minimum wage earning student dealing with someone who earns more in a day than I get in a week. Before that day I didn't think I could hate the person more than I already did.. How wrong was I?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

ps3man wrote: »
    I work in an electronic store (wont say where). Had to deal with Craig Doyle and selling him a videocamera, so sold him one and he has the cheek to argue for discount at the till.. wanted me to use my staff discount. I didnt give him a cent off even though I could have given him some cause the camera was the last model, safe to say he didn't get it. I am a minimum wage earning student dealing with someone who earns more in a day than I get in a week. Before that day I didn't think I could hate him more than I already did.. How wrong was I?

You might want to start looking for a new job after Christmas. I'm no fan of Doyle, but he is entitled to confidentiality on his personal purchases. It's a fair bet that someone will point him towards your posting.

If you want to rethink your post, I've no problem with the mods deleting my response.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

RainyDay wrote: »
    You might want to start looking for a new job after Christmas. I'm no fan of Doyle, but he is entitled to confidentiality on his personal purchases. It's a fair bet that someone will point him towards your posting.

If you want to rethink your post, I've no problem with the mods deleting my response.

He's dead right to name the stingy ****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

RainyDay wrote: »
    ...I'm no fan of the person, but he is entitled to confidentiality on his personal purchases.

Is he REALLY?
    Has the staff signed confidential clauses in their employment contracts?
    Has the person specifically requested that a purchase will be completed only happen if confidence is maintained?

A topic for another thread to be honest but JUST in strict legal terms, its a matter for debate also.

NOTE: Playing devils advocate here.
    I would not like it either if someone posted online what I was buying either.
    My drug seller would not be impressed also! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

One springs to mind with me. When i was around 14 me and my mate were in a shopping centre and he had no money with him .. After around an hour or so he got very hungry .. I had no money to give him so he done the craziest thing i have ever seen ... We were sitting by a water fountain and he tucked him arm into his hoody and pretended he had a broken arm in a sling... He used his free hand to take money from the water fountain .. He managed to get enough to buy chicken wings from Roches Stores...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

ps3man wrote: »
    I work in an electronic store (wont say where). Had to deal with Craig Doyle and selling him a videocamera, so sold him one and he has the cheek to argue for discount at the till.. wanted me to use my staff discount. I didnt give him a cent off even though I could have given him some cause the camera was the last model, safe to say he didn't get it. I am a minimum wage earning student dealing with someone who earns more in a day than I get in a week. Before that day I didn't think I could hate him more than I already did.. How wrong was I?

Don't understand why everyone is so down on Craig Doyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Don't understand why everyone is so down on Craig Doyle?

He is your namesake.

Or something...:D

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Don't understand why everyone is so down on mentioned person?

They are depressed that the world didn't end and have to suffer more news about Corrie' Street and Eastenders!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Biggins wrote: »
    Is he REALLY?
    Has the staff signed confidential clauses in their employment contracts?
    Employment contracts typically state that employees must not act in a way that would bring the company into disrupte. Complaining about a customer on a public forum would fall well inside that.
    There was a case last year where a Vodafone employee posted a picture from behind the desk where they had typed something on the screen like, "This customer is a complete thundering wagon". Vodafone saw it, bang, employee fired.
    Has the Doyle specifically requested that a purchase will be completed only happen if confidence is maintained?
    It would be implicit that a person has the right to a certain level of privacy in relation to their personal purchases. If nothing else it would fall into the realm of data protection, and so the release of information on a customer's purchases could be seen as a breach of the DPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I went on holiday to Malta a few years back and it was August so very hot. On our first night there, my friend and I went down for a bite to eat, having not had anything all day. I order a sandwich and wine and she just has tap water. When I ask is she not having aything she takes a cooler bag out of her handbag filled with sandwiches she had prepared at home (and squashed into her lugguage)! She lasted on them for the first 2 days and then used coppers to pay for the rest of her food, it killed her to break any notes. I couldnt believe how tight that was.

Worse was to follow- on a day trip in 40 degree heat, we all ran to the caravan selling snacks to get some water down our parched throats. It was 2euros but we were literally dying from the heat so we all paid-except my friend. She literally had a purple face from the heat but wouldnt buy any water, insisting "Im fine". I was gonna give her some of my water but then I thought to hell with her, nobody that tight deserves it! I dont go on holidays with her anymore, I couldnt hold my tongue again. :mad:

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Employment contracts typically state that employees must not act in a way that would bring the company into disrupte. Complaining about a customer on a public forum would fall well inside that.
    There was a case last year where a Vodafone employee posted a picture from behind the desk where they had typed something on the screen like, "This customer is a complete thundering wagon". Vodafone saw it, bang, employee fired.
    It would be implicit that a person has the right to a certain level of privacy in relation to their personal purchases. If nothing else it would fall into the realm of data protection, and so the release of information on a customer's purchases could be seen as a breach of the DPA.

Valid points made - I will keep my post short as not wishing to derail main topic.

JUST in strict legal terms as regards secrecy, "the right to secrecy" could certainly argued over in a court if nothing very specific is in print and not signed by any sides involved.

Staff maintaining a general of good behaviour (and not doing anything that puts the business in bad light) is no doubt expected from employers - but - as specifically anyone felt their secrecy was invaded by their purchases being exposed and wished to take a legal case, thats where the law so far (I think - open to be wrong) is very more vague still. :)

p.s. The data protection laws was were set-up in regard to data collection, access and their storage in digital form (as far as I know) mainly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement