Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Seems like there are a handful of clubs in Kildare doing good work in hurling at underage but outside of that not much happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Tristram wrote: »
    Seems like there are a handful of clubs in Kildare doing good work in hurling at underage but outside of that not much happening.

The likes of Naas, Celbridge and Confey are doing great work to promote hurling but the county board are hopeless. Celbridge won an u21 football semi-final against Athy yesterday and the county board expect many of the same players to line out again today for the u21 hurlers in their semi-final against Coill Dubh. Crazy scheduling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Kildare county board spent over 1.2m on football team (minor,u-21,junior & Senior) expenses over the last 2 years...They announced the hurling board have 75k for next year to prepare minor,u21 & senior teams.

Not doing much to promote hurling then :rolleyes:

Wouldnt mind but they have a decent side at Ring level

and yet the GAA find it necessary to hand over a crap load of money as a "loan".

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

good win for monstervin today with ex offaly footballer pascal Kelleghlan over them has a good record over teams

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Oisín McConville linked to replace Carew!!!

Thoughts from fellow lillies??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Oisín McConville linked to replace Carew!!!

Thoughts from fellow lillies??

Not a lily but he would be a phenomenal addition to any county set-up - I've heard stories about him spending hours after training with young lads in Cross and Armagh working on their game so if he brought that dedication to Kildare that could only be a good thing..

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Not a lily but he would be a phenomenal addition to any county set-up - I've heard stories about him spending hours after training with young lads in Cross and Armagh working on their game so if he brought that dedication to Kildare that could only be a good thing..

Yeah an awesome player and a true gaa man so much time for the game etc!!

Very excited reading he could be involved

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Larries_Lad

Anyone have any update on that Celbridge hurler Conor Kenny who put in a transfer to move to a Tipperary club? Has it gone through?

Anyone have any update on that Celbridge hurler Conor Kenny who put in a transfer to move to a Tipperary club? Has it gone through?
    Cormac O'Malley ‏@cormacpro
    Big news for Kildare Hurling in tomorrow's Liffey Champion. And it's not good news either. #gaa

Big loss for Celbridge. Quality hurler and a very good footballer too as he showed in the u21 final recently.

JD to give it another year according to the great man himself on KFM.

• Advertisement

JD to give it another year according to the great man himself on KFM.
    thought he would run out at least this year..

he wasnt gonna leave without his big hurrah.. absolute genius footballer has been a pleasure seeing him give it all for us over the years.. thank you jd forever a lily legend

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Delighted to hear JD is playing on, such a superb footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Gone through as far as I know, he has transfered to Borrisleigh, the club where he's family are originally from, he is a grand nephew of the great Sean Kenny who won a number of All Irelands withe Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

Sean Kenny and Paddy Kenny were both on the Tipperary 3 in a row team from 1949 to 51. From what I have heard over the years Paddy was the better of the two and an exceptional forward. Young Conor won't be playing too much football with Borrisileigh, but he is reputed to be a handy footballer and might have better prospects of playing for Tipp in the big ball code. Still don't feel that this transfer is right. IMO he should have stayed playing with Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Sean Kenny and Paddy Kenny were both on the Tipperary 3 in a row team from 1949 to 51. From what I have heard over the years Paddy was the better of the two and an exceptional forward. Young Conor won't be playing too much football with Borrisileigh, but he is reputed to be a handy footballer and might have better prospects of playing for Tipp in the big ball code. Still don't feel that this transfer is right. IMO he should have stayed playing with Kildare.

To be fair to the guy he is moving to Borris permanently and he's dad won an AI Club title with Borris, its not just a glory hunting transfer.

Willie Sunderland stepped down last night. A very bad week for Kildare hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Larries_Lad

Young Conor won't be playing too much football with Borrisileigh, but he is reputed to be a handy footballer and might have better prospects of playing for Tipp in the big ball code. Still don't feel that this transfer is right. IMO he should have stayed playing with Kildare.

Very average footballer, no where near county standard. I agree he should have stayed playing for Kildare. U21 All Ireland finalists, League winners with the senior team, Kildare hurling was on the up. Now things look very bad, county board are doing no favours for the hurlers, 2 players standing down and the management now also gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Can anybody tell me : Did any Kildare hurler get inter-provincial recognition before the great era of 1962-1976? I think a goal-keeper in the thirties may have been a sub, not sure. Does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭largepants

feargale wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me : Did any Kildare hurler get inter-provincial recognition before the great era of 1962-1976? I think a goal-keeper in the thirties may have been a sub, not sure. Does anybody know?

I would imagine Pat Dunny did. He was quite a good hurler Im told.

Edit: Sorry only noticed the year now.

• Advertisement

Jesus that's a big blow for us.

Best of luck to him though..

Is he going to remain living in kildare? Would be a hard slog travelling to Leitrim for training etc. maybe Leitrim would be happy for him to train with club though??

He is in college in Carlow so I assume he will remain an Athy player.

He is in college in Carlow so I assume he will remain an Athy player.

Ah good athy have been losing players to emigration etc glad to hear he might remain to help athys cause

Kavanagh gonna be a loss too. Could do with unearthing a forward or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

largepants wrote: »
    Kavanagh gonna be a loss too. Could do with unearthing a forward or two.
    Did James Kavanagh retire from inter county football?
    Ahuge loss for Kildare if he has although as a Meath man I wouldn't be devistated

Felexicon wrote: »
    Did James Kavanagh retire from inter county football?
    Ahuge loss for Kildare if he has although as a Meath man I wouldn't be devistated

Not involved next year unless he changes his mind.

Possibly will not see him playing intercounty with Kildare again.

It has been on the cards for a while. He married a girl from Galway last year and they are building a house out there. I would not be surprised to see him back involved at some stage. At least it means that we should see some more of Dowling and/or Fogarty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

It has been rumoured elsewhere on the internet that James will be considering joining the Tribesmen. I suppose if he's living up there, then it's fair enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

largepants wrote: »
    Not involved next year unless he changes his mind.

Possibly will not see him playing intercounty with Kildare again.

whys he calling it a day..........handy job being a garda etc, and relatively young

• Advertisement

It has been rumoured elsewhere on the internet that James will be considering joining the Tribesmen. I suppose if he's living up there, then it's fair enough.

Really cormac?? Where did you read that?

Sad to see kavanagh go as he is a fabulously gifted footballer..

Wish him all the best no matter what he does or where he goes

Advertisement