Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison officer killed in suspect dissident ambush

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

GRMA wrote: »
    What are you on about? I was talking specifically about loyalists, like junder who will freely admit that he is one.

It's common knowledge that less and less loyalists, especially young ones, go to mass. junder will tell you as much too. Same for nationalists.
    Yes ,instead of mass, most of them attend service, but you cant seem to get outside your own, very limited mindset!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Yes ,instead of mass, most of them attend service, but you cant seem to get outside your own, very limited mindset!
    Mass, service, whatever. Are you honestly telling me that there is no decline in people attending religious services? For young working class loyalists especially?

It doesn't really matter anyway - its very much a side point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

junder wrote: »
    Just because there was not enough evidence to prosecute Duffy does not mean he is innocent

Bulls**t, so can i say the prison officer that was killed was killed because he was torturing prisoners!

I have absolutely no evidence that he did, but who cares when we can judge him by your thinking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Just thought I would post an update on the situation taking from another forum "The judge ruled against the application stating that there is NO justification for the extension as NO evidence has been put forward at interview or indeed to the court .... Colin is still being held at this moment, please read on.

Contrary to media reports today the psni haven't been granted an extension to continue questioning Colin and the other innocent man arrested, what has actually transpired is the judge ruled against the application stating that there is NO justification for the extension as NO evidence has been put forward at interview or indeed to the court that would allow for the judge to grant an extension in both cases, so now the psni are having a 'closed court' session were they plan to deliver 'secret' evidence so the judge can change his mind, this application is currently taking place. Neither Colin's legal team or the other arrested man's team are allowed into the court or to hear this information that they claim to have, so in actual fact it's a situation that the psni can say what they want, make up what they want, in the hope to persuade the judge to grant an extension, none of what's said can be used as evidence in any court.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Just thought I would post an update on the situation taking from another forum "The judge ruled against the application stating that there is NO justification for the extension as NO evidence has been put forward at interview or indeed to the court .... Colin is still being held at this moment, please read on.

Contrary to media reports today the psni haven't been granted an extension to continue questioning Colin and the other innocent man arrested, what has actually transpired is the judge ruled against the application stating that there is NO justification for the extension as NO evidence has been put forward at interview or indeed to the court that would allow for the judge to grant an extension in both cases, so now the psni are having a 'closed court' session were they plan to deliver 'secret' evidence so the judge can change his mind, this application is currently taking place. Neither Colin's legal team or the other arrested man's team are allowed into the court or to hear this information that they claim to have, so in actual fact it's a situation that the psni can say what they want, make up what they want, in the hope to persuade the judge to grant an extension, none of what's said can be used as evidence in any court.

So it seems the PSNI are carrying on from where the RUC left off!

This is an absolute disgrace, and the authorities wonder why they are targeted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

It really is disappointing how loyalists make everything out to be about religion - talk about paranoia - and this is from people who largely don't even bother practicing their religion.

They shot a prison officer because he was a prison officer working in the republican wing. I doubt there are many catholics working that job. He wasn't shot because he was a protestant, he just happened to be.

That of course doesn't make the murder any less reprehensible but there shouldn't be this sectarian spin put on things to preemptively justify any possible action by loyalist paramilitaries. Just the other day a loyalist was caught video recording taxi depots in nationalist areas.

I'm not saying junder is doing this but he seems to have swallowed that spin. Its not an attack on the protestant community, if killing a PO is sectarian then were the POs killed by the UVF killed for sectarian reasons, or was it something to do with what went on in the jail?

Actually I have long said within my own community that at somepoint the dissidents will start targeting Protestants involved in the security services, for the reasons I have stated many times in this thread. They will specifically target these people not only because it will provoke loyalists but also because they know that people like you will continue to bieve the lie that these people are not sectarian. As for the loyalist paramiltarys as thing stand, I don't believe they are going to react this time. But I will let ken wilkinson speak for them

Progressive Unionist Party Antrim spokesman Ken Wilkinson

THE man who represents many of Ulster’s loyalist prisoners has called for no retaliation over the killing of one of their prison guards.
    Ken Wilkinson, south Antrim representative for the UVF-linked Progressive Unionist Party (PUP), called for calm in the wake of the murder, but said that some loyalists had already been feeling unhappy before the incident took place.
    Mr Wilkinson, who is also the spokesman for loyalist inmates in the Bush 1 and Bush 2 wings of Maghaberry Prison, said many of the prisoners knew David Black and had a high regard for him.
    Mr Wilkinson said: “I have to offer my condolences to the Black family.
    “They [prisoners] knew him. He was a human being, and treated people as human beings. His job was that he was there to look after people – people who broke the law.
    “I’ve spoken to several prisoners and he just had that sort of charisma about him. Some people do their job, and do it right.
    “If you speak to a person in a proper manner you gain a bit of respect, and David Black seemed to have gained the respect of a lot of people he spoke to.”
    He also said that he regards the attack on the prison officer not as an attack against unionists – but against nationalists, too.
    He said: “There’s a lot of frustration, a lot of anger, not only from the loyalist community but from the whole community in Northern Ireland about what took place... I believe it was also an attack on the nationalist community and the young men and women thinking about going into that job.”
    There are around two dozen prisoners in the two loyalist Maghaberry wings, from different paramilitary factions. Mr Wilkinson said republican frustrations over strip searches and treatment by guards at the prison were ill-founded, because loyalists and republicans were subject to the same measures.
    He said much work had been done to steer loyalists away from violence, and the PUP’s position is to stick by the peace process, although there are “frustrations” which some loyalists feel over perceived attacks against traditional Protestant culture.
    But he said: “I’d appeal to all loyalists for cool and calm heads.
    “In the past, we had attack after attack on our communities.
    “It didn’t change the constitution of Northern Ireland.
    “Let the powers that be deal with this – the PSNI.
    “I appeal to all factions of loyalism not to retaliate, because that would be playing to their agenda – and we shouldn’t be playing to their agenda.”
    The death of Mr Black came not long after the News Letter was contacted by someone claiming to be from a dissident loyalist group.
    Referring to themselves as “Grugg”, the caller claimed that the group was an alliance between UVF, UFF and LVF members based in the Portadown area.
    He added that they had up to 120 members, had trained with weapons outside Bangor recently, and were led by a former UVF commander.
    Refusing to give a name or contact details, the caller said that “there’s nothing being done here about dissident republicans”.
    “They’re murdering soldiers, murdering police, and getting away with it... Orange halls are being targeted here,” he said.
    The caller said he would be back in touch and would send material to the newspaper, but nothing has been received.
    Mr Wilkinson said he doesn’t attach weight to such talk.

“It does make our job harder,” he said. “I know there are people out there frustrated and angry.
    “When one looks at what loyalism has had to accept, the people now sitting in power, the likes of McGuinness, I appeal to young loyalists to look at the constitution of Northern Ireland. It is standing fast.”

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

This is an absolute disgrace, and the authorities wonder why they are targeted!
    The authorities don't wonder why they're targeted at all. They know that they're targeted by psychopaths for their own reasons. Those reasons don't have to make any sense outside of the alternate reality that those psychopaths have constructed in order to justify their behaviour to themselves.

If you're saying that it's justifiable for psychopaths to murder prison officers because of anti-terrorism legislation, I couldn't disagree more.

Thankfully Colin Duffy has been unconditionally released, hopefully they can find the real killers now

I not the biggest fan of willy frazer, but in this case fair play for having the balls to confront this illigal parade, very interesting to hear what these republican representatives of the ones who killed the prison officer had to say. A one women taking part in the protest says "did you hear about the man who got a puncture on the m1" or another one "you going to join the prison service willy, I hear there is a vacancy"

Check out this video on YouTube:<br/><br/>http://youtu.be/H7SvaXsZaRQ

I not the biggest fan of willy frazer, but in this case fair play for having the balls to confront this illigal parade, very interesting to hear what these republican representatives of the ones who killed the prison officer had to say. A one women taking part in the protest says "did you hear about the man who got a puncture on the m1" or another one "you going to join the prison service willy, I hear there is a vacancy"

Check out this video on YouTube:<br/><br/>http://youtu.be/H7SvaXsZaRQ
    Havent watched the clip yet asmI'm on my mobile but Frazer is generally a nasty little bigot and in his description he says that the republicans marched in Dublin, that was nothing to do with the PO being killed but Marian Price - it wasnt just republicans you had people from the ULA there too

• Advertisement

Havent watched the clip yet asmI'm on my mobile but Frazer is generally a nasty little bigot and in his description he says that the republicans marched in Dublin, that was nothing to do with the PO being killed but Marian Price - it wasnt just republicans you had people from the ULA there too

The parade he videos is not the one in Dublin

The parade he videos is not the one in Dublin
    look at the video description.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Thankfully Colin Duffy has been unconditionally released, hopefully they can find the real killers now
    Did Colin not tell them?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Interesting this is what the judge concluded from the massereen shooting:

"I consider that there is insufficient evidence to satisfy me beyond reasonable doubt that, whatever Duffy may have done when he wore the latex glove or touched the seatbelt buckle, meant that he was preparing the car in some way for this murderous attack. And I therefore find him not guilty," the judge said. He said the prosecution had failed to link Duffy to the murder plot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

First, let me say that I find what was said to WF extremely distasteful especially when they brought up his Father and Mr Black.

With that said what the hell was WF expecting pulling up at a Republican demonstration illegal or otherwise? Why couldn't he just ring the PSNI and make a complaint and let the civil authorities deal with it?

He's a world class ****-stirrer is Willie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Read eamon Collins books 'killing rage' former intelligence officer for the Tyrone brigade of the IRA ( now dead at the hands of his former colleagues) gives a good account of how targets where selected and how intelligence was gathered before the kill was made

Collins was from Newry, not Tyrone. Also your attempts to portray this as a sectarian killing are farcical, they target members of the army, police etc on the basis they believe they are enforcing an occupation. By your logic they are sectarian against Catholics due to the fact they killed Ronan Kerr and targeted Peader Heffron.

FTA69 wrote: »

Collins was from Newry, not Tyrone. Also your attempts to portray this as a sectarian killing are farcical, they target members of the army, police etc on the basis they believe they are enforcing an occupation. By your logic they are sectarian against Catholics due to the fact they killed Ronan Kerr and targeted Peader Heffron.

Can you prove it was'nt sectarain? Or is your proof only that they previously killed catholic police officers. Seems this entire thread is proof of why this prison officer made such a good target, since on the one hand, killing a Protestant is really going to provoke the loyalist community, but because he is a prison officer means people such as yourself can argue that he was killed just because of his job. Of course it's the same argument the provies used when they were killing members of my community before.
    End of the day you know and I know and yes even the dissidents know that unless they escalate the conflict to a point which brings the army back onto the streets, they are finished.

Can you prove it was'nt sectarain? Or is your proof only that they previously killed catholic police officers. Seems this entire thread is proof of why this prison officer made such a good target, since on the one hand, killing a Protestant is really going to provoke the loyalist community, but because he is a prison officer means people such as yourself can argue that he was killed just because of his job. Of course it's the same argument the provies used when they were killing members of my community before.
    End of the day you know and I know and yes even the dissidents know that unless they escalate the conflict to a point which brings the army back onto the streets, they are finished.

I disagree with this theory,the dissidents are happy enough to pull off this once in a while to show normalisation isn't happening.they know too well they can't pull off a campaign now like the provos,but they seem happy to let people know there is still resistance however small it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Members of your community were also armed members of the crown forces, whether you like it or not they shot UDR men and police officers because they were part of armed wings of the British state. They shot plenty of Catholic ones too. By all means criticise this killing, but don't delude yourself that it occurred solely because the man was a Protestant.

Members of your community were also armed members of the crown forces, whether you like it or not they shot UDR men and police officers because they were part of armed wings of the British state. They shot plenty of Catholic ones too. By all means criticise this killing, but don't delude yourself that it occurred solely because the man was a Protestant.

And that in a nut shell is why mr black made such a good target, because that's the argument that will always be rolled out be republicans. A direct provocation to the loyalist community and still able to justify it as an attack on the 'British state'

I don't have the link so I will have to post the entire articule. Another interesting analysis as to why mr black was killed

ANALYSIS: Targeting of an Orangeman

David Black was gunned down as he drove to work at the high security Maghaberry prison in Co Antrim (PSNI/PA)

By BEN LOWRY

IN targeting a prison officer who was both an Orangeman and who was in the service at the time of the hunger strikes, dissidents appear to be trying to do two things.
    First, they have murdered someone whom they think will receive less sympathy among not only republicans, but moderate Irish nationalists.
    This is primarily because of Mr Black’s Orange membership.
But they are also hoping that moderate nationalists will feel that anyone who served during the hunger strikes is tainted.
    The calculated killing of Mr Black highlights the fact that there are members of the Prison Service who have decades of service, which is much less likely in the PSNI, after the large-scale Patten redundancies.
    It fits the dissident narrative that Northern Ireland is unreformed, and indeed irreformable, despite what Sinn Fein would say.
    Second, the murder of an Orangeman is closely linked to another targeting strategy that seeks the same outcome, but from the opposite direction: the killing of Catholic security force members. They have murdered two Catholic PSNI officers – Stephen Carroll and Ronan Kerr – and maimed a third – Peadar Heffron.
    But in the case of Kerr and Heffron, who were prominent GAA players, they seemed to target PSNI officers who are not merely Catholic, but immersed in Gaelic culture.
    By doing so, dissident terrorists hope to scare off potential security force recruits who have such a background.
    If that intimidation succeeds, the dissidents will be able to say that the police and Army are made up of Protestant-dominated ‘securocrats’ – servants of what republicans would call the Orange State.
    Another not-so-subtle message of this murder, which seems the work of experienced assassins, is that the Prison Service has not been transformed in the way that the RUC, and its successor the PSNI, were transformed by redundancies and 50-50 recruitment.

• Advertisement

And that in a nut shell is why mr black made such a good target, because that's the argument that will always be rolled out be republicans. A direct provocation to the loyalist community and still able to justify it as an attack on the 'British state'

I don't have the link so I will have to post the entire articule. Another interesting analysis as to why mr black was killed

ANALYSIS: Targeting of an Orangeman

David Black was gunned down as he drove to work at the high security Maghaberry prison in Co Antrim (PSNI/PA)

By BEN LOWRY

IN targeting a prison officer who was both an Orangeman and who was in the service at the time of the hunger strikes, dissidents appear to be trying to do two things.
    First, they have murdered someone whom they think will receive less sympathy among not only republicans, but moderate Irish nationalists.
    This is primarily because of Mr Black’s Orange membership.
But they are also hoping that moderate nationalists will feel that anyone who served during the hunger strikes is tainted.
    The calculated killing of Mr Black highlights the fact that there are members of the Prison Service who have decades of service, which is much less likely in the PSNI, after the large-scale Patten redundancies.
    It fits the dissident narrative that Northern Ireland is unreformed, and indeed irreformable, despite what Sinn Fein would say.
    Second, the murder of an Orangeman is closely linked to another targeting strategy that seeks the same outcome, but from the opposite direction: the killing of Catholic security force members. They have murdered two Catholic PSNI officers – Stephen Carroll and Ronan Kerr – and maimed a third – Peadar Heffron.
    But in the case of Kerr and Heffron, who were prominent GAA players, they seemed to target PSNI officers who are not merely Catholic, but immersed in Gaelic culture.
    By doing so, dissident terrorists hope to scare off potential security force recruits who have such a background.
    If that intimidation succeeds, the dissidents will be able to say that the police and Army are made up of Protestant-dominated ‘securocrats’ – servants of what republicans would call the Orange State.
    Another not-so-subtle message of this murder, which seems the work of experienced assassins, is that the Prison Service has not been transformed in the way that the RUC, and its successor the PSNI, were transformed by redundancies and 50-50 recruitment.

Once again its looking for things that aren't there,clinging to any theory that someone might latch onto,naively.

you are correct they did shoot plenty of members of the security forces generally at thier civilian places of work were they were unarmed and generally in the back. needless to say, Mr black was unarmed to.
    So was it ok for the provies to shoot people like Mr Black back during the 'troubles'?

Once again its looking for things that aren't there,clinging to any theory that someone might latch onto,naively.

Sure, i'm naive because i believe that dissident republicans are perfectly capable of murdering somebody because of their religion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Junder thinks the dissidents might have a strategy...shock horror! :eek: What difference does it make to your or anybody's safety, what difference does it make what the reasons where ffs? The problem has to be solved or you and everybody else won't be safe for a very long time.

The family won't let any SF members attend the funeral. His orange brethren probably didnt want any taigs around the place.

This should be an occasion for both sides to unify, not stand apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

The family won't let any SF members attend the funeral. His orange brethren probably didnt want any taigs around the place.

I doubt they're banning SDLP members attending & they are nearly all "taigs" too

Sinn Fein would have defended attacks like Mr Black's throughout the troubles and glorifed them in an phoblacht. Of course the family don't want them near the place

I think its very feckin ironic that you have spent the thread arguing the reals are not sectarian and targeted Mr Black over his job... but then when his family request no Shinners at his funeral you jump to the conclusion it is for sectarian reasons. Come on now...

Dubhlinner wrote: »
    I doubt they're banning SDLP members attending & they are nearly all "taigs" too

Sinn Fein would have defended attacks like Mr Black's throughout the troubles and glorifed them in an phoblacht. Of course the family don't want them near the place

I think its very feckin ironic that you have spent the thread arguing the reals are not sectarian and targeted Mr Black over his job... but then when his family request no Shinners at his funeral you jump to the conclusion it is for sectarian reasons. Come on now...
    You saw the fuss when Orange men went to Kerrs funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

You saw the fuss when Orange men went to Kerrs funeral.

We dont even know his family were in the OO or not. Its neither here nor there though because they object to order members attending RC services not RCs going to Protestant services.

Its plainly obvious the family don't want SF members there because they were the political wing of the IRA and not because their members are mostly RC. Can you genuinely not see that angle?

Like I said - why no objection to SDLP politicians attending?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭mcc1

His family are entitled to decide who can and can't go to their loved ones funeral. SF have had their say, that's enough. Mr Black was a long serving member of the prison service like my father was, and like my father he no doubt saw some of his friends/work colleagues murdered or threatened of murder by some of Sinn Fein's members when they were in jail and not in government. I know my father was threatened with a bullet in a back off the head by a SF member currently in government and if anything had happened to him he'd/i'd not want any off them near his funeral either.

Like it or not things like that are still raw, the family's decision should be respected. How you can even dare try and tell them what they should do after what they have gone through is a bloody joke.

• Advertisement

Wow, I can't Actully believe that somebody would stoop so low as to attack this family for choosing who can or can not attend the funeral of thier loved one. That's low

Advertisement