Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children penalised for the actions of parents

Options
  • 18-09-2012 1:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

Irish children penalised for the actions of parents...

Is this what our state has come to?
    EDUCATION Minister Ruairi Quinn this morning defended Clare County Council for refusing to approve third-level student grants unless their parents had paid the €100 household charge.
    http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/education/latest-news/fury-as-council-blocks-student-grants-over-household-charge-3233555.html

I'm NOT here to argue for/against the household charge - there's a thread for that HERE.
    ...Have our present government become so low and fcuking bitter that they are hitting out at offspring for what is clearly the separate decisions of others?

Feel free to disagree with me but I think its fcuking disgusting!

Poll: Should grant holders have to prove payment of the household charge? 263 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    50% 133 votes
    Unsure
    49% 130 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd love to see it challenged in court because I doubt it would stand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Hacuna Matata

That's ridiculous...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

welcome to Ireland. Home of the most rediculos government ever. whats next, dont pay your TV licence and have your first born taken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

What next?

Don't pay your TV licence?
    Your kids are penalised!

Don't pay your car tax?
    Your kids are penalised!

Don't pay a fine?
    Your kids are penalised!

The above might be only an extreme - but the government has now opened that door!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

These students rely on the status of their parents income to qualify for the grant, so what's the problem in taking their other circumstances into consideration?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Medu

Biggins wrote: »
    Feel free to disagree with me but I think its fcuking disgusting!

So it's disgusting that people are forced to pay their taxes? The only way that 'Children' will be penalised is if their parents aren't able to see that paying €100 to receive thousands in return is a fairly good deal.

Medu wrote: »
    So it's disgusting that people are forced to pay their taxes? The only way that 'Children' will be penalised is if their parents aren't able to see that paying €100 to receive thousands in return is a fairly good deal.

Can you read?

Children penalised for the actions of parents is disgusting.
    Are you that blind you can't make that out?

So its ok to hit out at children because of the actions of their parents!
    Get a fcuking grip and kop yourself on!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

The most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I know some children that are not going to be penalised..........
    Clare
    County manager (Tom Coughlan): €142,469
    Chief veterinary inspector: €93,436 to €109,927
    4 directors of services: €90,453 to €106,900
    2 senior engineers: €73,223 to €87,117
    Chief fire officer: €73,223 to €87,117
    Senior executive officer: €64,426 to €84,036
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,025,383
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/organisations-are-top-heavy-with-high-earners-189877.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

The criteria for qualifying for a grant is based on the parents income.

It seems perpectly reasonable to me to ensure they are tax compliant before approving a grant.

This has been the case in business for years. A Company will not be approved for grant assistance unless the directors can produce a Tax Compliance certificate.

If the parents don't want the children to be "punished", they should pay their dues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Valetta wrote: »
    The criteria for qualifying for a grant is based on the parents income.

It seems perpectly reasonable to me to ensure they are tax compliant before approving a grant.

This has been the case in business for years. A Company will not be approved for grant assistance unless the directors can produce a Tax Compliance certificate.

If the parents don't want the children to be "punished", they should pay their dues.

Hello Alistar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Anybody going to college/university is not a child.

oldyouth wrote: »
    These students rely on the status of their parents income to qualify for the grant, so what's the problem in taking their other circumstances into consideration?

The circumstances being "incoming income" - you left that bit out.

Not the possible crimes of others, be they parents!

Anyone wrote: »
    Child/offspring - stupid idiotic argument over semantics!

My kids at 18 will always be my children!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

a new low...

absoutle madness :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What next?

Education grant withheld because parents car's NCT is out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

Irish children penalised for the actions of parents...

Is this what our state has come to?

Children don't go to university.
    Children don't apply for third level grants.
    These are adults being assessed for grants on the basis of parents' income.

Why should those parents who refuse to pay legitimate state taxes/levies/charges have their children benefit from state grants?
    The rest of us should pay so that they get the grants? Really?

I applaud Clare County Council. I hope othe county councils (and all state bodies) follow their example.

If you opt out of paying, you opt out of benefits. It's very simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

If someone is going to be angry about this then should their anger not be that the parents income is looked at in the first place. If they are happy about the parents income being assessed then they should stfu about this since the children are already being penalised by the actions of their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Right, people were warned that if they didn't pay the Household charge, that local services would be reduced/removed. Now its happening, why are you appalled/surprised?

Local authorities process grant claims, I dont see why exactly certain people should get a free service when others have to pay.

UDP wrote: »
    If someone is going to be angry about this then should their anger not be that the parents income is looked at in the first place. If they are happy about the parents income being assessed then they should stfu about this since the children are already being penalised by the actions of their parents.

Wot? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

uriah wrote: »

Plenty of under 18s do both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm worried about the precedent this will set. Will we have to prove we have paid car tax etc now in the future before we can access state money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

What next?

Don't pay your TV licence?
    Your kids are penalised!

Don't pay your car tax?
    Your kids are penalised!

Don't pay a fine?
    Your kids are penalised!

The above might be only an extreme - but the government has now opened that door!
    You could argue that kids are punished in gthe above cases at least if financial penalties are imposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

The whole 'Children' issue is (for the most part) not applicable. Most of these 'Children' are over 18 (save for some first years). As such its not really fair or equitable to use the college students' parents income as the basis for determination of grants for the student. However the problem lies in that if the body awarding the grants were to use the students income as the basis then every student would qualify (Save a very very small percentage).

So what do the bodies awarding grants do? they award based off somebody elses income. While its (probably)not legal...its going to be very difficult to challenge this.

By adding in a request (theres nothing from what i've heard that this is a requirement) to show a receipt for having paid the household tax, the bodies awarding the grants are just adding more complexity to the situation. What if the family involved rent accomodation? they wont have a receipt then to show.

Its a sneaky way for the local council to try to find out who hasnt paid the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Medu

The circumstances being "incoming income" - you left that bit out.

Not the possible crimes of others, be they parents!

Nearly all students need the support of their parents to pay for 3rd level. If one of the things that the parent needs to do is to pay their taxes then so be it. It would be very different if the government had decided that anyone that didn't pay their household charge pre June 1st would not be entitled to eligible for a grant this year.
    All this is going to do is give people an incentive to pay their tax. I happen to know a number of people that still haven't paid it for no other reason than they couldn't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,899 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Try telling that to the local councils when applying. As far as they are concerned you are a 'dependant' while living at home or even living in student accomodation. Therefore in their eyes the student is still classed as a child.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The students should riot over this

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

I have a 17 year old in college she is a child.
    I'm exempt as the council have a share in my house. But I think it's shameful children and young adults who are entitled to the grant on the basis that their families have low incomes should be penalized like this because their parents havent paid. Even if they do pay it to get the grant it's just making a very long process even longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'm worried about the precedent this will set. Will we have to prove we have paid car tax etc now in the future before we can access state money.

Yep, and if you don't happen to own a car, you will be forced into buying one.

Right, people were warned that if they didn't pay the Household charge, that local services would be reduced/removed. Now its happening, why are you appalled/surprised?

Local authorities process grant claims, I dont see why exactly certain people should get a free service when others have to pay.

1. When is going to college anywhere in the country "local services? That's just stretching things completely to suit!

2. Go after the parents then in court and get them to pay up!
    Whats the problem with that?
    No - but in the meanwhile, lets be so fcuking bitter that the state picks on the offspring - who are innocent by the way.
    They are a separate legal entity - well unless you remarkably can prove different!
    uriah wrote: »
    These are adults being assessed for grants on the basis of parents' income.

Why should those parents who refuse to pay legitimate state taxes/levies/charges have their children benefit from state grants?
    The rest of us should pay so that they get the grants? Really?

I applaud Clare County Council. I hope othe county councils (and all state bodies) follow their example.

If you opt out of paying, you opt out of benefits. It's very simple.

People are already paying hand over fist in many, many other ways to the state.
    You forgot to mention that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Children penalised for the actions of parents is disgusting.
    Eh Biggins, are you looking to replicate sensationalist headlines?

We always penalise children for the actions of their parents. Just because you are a parent, doesn't give you a "get-out-of-jail-free" card.

You speed. You are fined. Your insurance rates increase. Your child is penalised.
    You kill someone. You are jailed. Your child is penalised.

The grant is linked to the income of the parent. If you don't bother paying, you are depriving others. Frankly it's just that you are the first to suffer.

"oh won't someone think of the children" :rolleyes:

Advertisement