Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 7 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options
  • 31-07-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I struggled a little with the title... :pac:

Figured it would be useful to have a separate thread for people who already own this device and would like to discuss useful apps, info about rooting, acquiring google play credit and so forth!

Heres a useful link regarding flash support to get the ball rolling. :)

And some other useful tips regarding USB device mounting. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

This post has been deleted.

Nice job on new thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭liamhana

Cheers for starting this...I've a feeling I'll be checking this a fair bit!
    I got mine on last friday, Still playing with it really...have used airsync to put itunes music on. Problems transfering from calibre to the kindle app, but that seems to be that kindle's new version is playing silly beggars at moment.
    Task this week; hook up to the desktop & do a decent amount of transfer of photos/books/videos etc.

I was going to edit my second post but that deserves to be on its own. I'm just going through the other large thread to find some of the handy links that were posted!

Can't recommend the Nexus Root Toolkit v1.5 enough.
    Very easy step by step process for unlocking your bootloader and rooting your device. The toolkit includes many other options such as backing up/restoring your device, installing applications, using ADB commands plus of course re-locking your bootloader and restoring back to factory settings which have all worked me.

Below is the sample of applications I use that are available to you once rooted:
    Titanium Backup which will allow you in unfreeze the Google Applications allowing you to access your free stuff - Custom Rom will negate that requirement.
    Ability to use Switchme which is an alternative if your using Captain Morgans method for $25
    ClockWorkMod/Rom Manger - allows you an easy method of making a nandroid backup, install system files - plus even has a nice touchscreen version.
    StickMount - A big one for some people - Ability to use OTG cable which allows you to connect usb drives to your device i.e. expanding your space

Some other handy apps that were found during my checking!

Video Players:
    MX Player or DicePlayer which play a large range of formats AVI,MOV,MKV,FLV,AVI,3GP,3G2,ASF,WMV,MP4,M4V,TS,MTP,M2TS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

What are the main advantages of rooting this? Is it just to get flash working?

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    What are the main advantages of rooting this? Is it just to get flash working?

You don't need to be rooted to get flash working, as seen below ;)
    Download Adobe Flash Play 11.1 apk here or download it from XDA Developers (think link in OP). After the file has downloaded open and install it. Please be sure that “Install from unkown sources” is checked off in the Android settings for the Nexus 7.
    Install Firefox Beta browser from the Android Market.
    That’s it, now you have Flash support on your Android 4.1 (JellyBean)

1. This will NOT work with the current build of Google Chrome. A dev may fix this in the future but Google nor Adobe will be adding Flash support to any future builds of Android. I’ve also tried the plugin with ICS+ Browser and Dolphin Browser HD, both of which don’t work with the method used above. FireFox seems to be the only browser currently that works with the flash plugin in Android 4.1.

2. By default FireFox Beta has plugins set to “on demand”, which can cause some minor inconviences, however you can remedy this problem by going to:

FireFox Beta settings (three dots to right corner) -> Settings -> Plugins -> Select: Enabled

I was trying to put forward my arguement for rooting in the other thread for the TheDoc.

Main points of that were:
    I still recommned rooting though as you can install custom roms (the stock rom has quite a few glaring faults imo) though this is up to your preferences I suppose. The customisation is endless though. Plus you always have the option of unroot and returning to stock at any time.

Installing custom roms (such as Jr6 MCR or PARANOIDANDROID) is a big thing for me anyway, although the stock version of the JB is quite nice.
    Also quite a few handy application that will only work on a rooted device [see my post above for some prime examples].

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

Hi All, I've set up a US vpn in order to get the free credit but I'm having trouble downloading the transformers movie. It's saying I need to update the app google plays movies but it's not giving me the option and I don't see the app on my N7? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Root.
    Titanium Backup -> Backup/REstore -> Defrost Google Play Books/magazine/Movies

• Registered Users Posts: 3 adamoadamoadam

When you are in the us play store go to my apps and they should be there as updates.

If anyone was having trouble finding a VPN (took me a while to find a good free one) I used CactusVpn. It has a free two day trial and worked just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,880 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

anyone got a decent icon pack working thro nova? most dont seem to work with JB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

What did you type in for server address for cactus?
    If anyone was having trouble finding a VPN (took me a while to find a good free one) I used CactusVpn. It has a free two day trial and worked just fine.

You have to go cactusvpn.com and register for a two day trial, then the email you all the details. Sorry for confussion. I found it handy that way plus you have the two days if you wanted to spend the free credit in the us store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Anyone been able to get whatsapp working?

Apparently some people have got it working but not in the way your after.

You can't have two devices on whatsapp with same number.

You can have nexus 7 registered with a different number. Google voice for example. There's instructions in this thread about it

This is the post in that thread that explains how to do it though seems like a lot of effort for something that wouldn't be really useful. I'd say once the device is out more workarounds may appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭allybhoy

blobbie wrote: »
    Root.
    Titanium Backup -> Backup/REstore -> Defrost Google Play Books/magazine/Movies

What does this do? Install Books\Magazines and Movies without havign to use the US VPN?

Ive rooted my nexus (1st android device) but i though Titanium was for backing up and restoring if you want to instal custom roms etc.

allybhoy wrote: »
    What does this do? Install Books\Magazines and Movies without havign to use the US VPN?

Ive rooted my nexus (1st android device) but i though Titanium was for backing up and restoring if you want to instal custom roms etc.

By default Books/Magazines/Movies etc are installed on all devices but when the N7 realises your location, Google have set Jelly Bean to "freeze" (disable/hide) these applications depending on what's available in your region.

Using Titanium Backup, you can see find these applications again and have an option to "defrost" them. This adds them back into your application list though you would need to do this after every restart.

Without a US VPN, you still cannot access the stores for these applications only items you previously purchased or downloaded (except tv/movies).

By default Books/Magazines/Movies etc are installed on all devices but when the N7 realises your location, Google have set Jelly Bean to "freeze" (disable/hide) these applications depending on what's available in your region.

Using Titanium Backup, you can see find these applications again and have an option to "defrost" them. This adds them back into your application list though you would need to do this after every restart.

Without a US VPN, you still cannot access the stores for these applications only items you previously purchased or downloaded (except tv/movies).

Ah ok thanks, yeh ive just done it there and i can see a couple of magazines and only one movie, Transformers which i presume is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,880 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

guys, anyone using nova launcher, what icons pack work.

Ive tried a few and only glasskart seems to work, not xelium or micons

is it a JB thing?

allybhoy wrote: »
    Ah ok thanks, yeh ive just done it there and i can see a couple of magazines and only one movie, Transformers which i presume is free.

Yeah using the US VPN you can access for free the 1 Book and 4-5 Magazines and then view them later on Irish network. You can also use your free credit to purchase books and mags from the US Play Store and then download them using Irish connection for offline viewing later.
    Also if you have an Android phone with a decent size screen you can access them on that, so you can continue your book whereever you go :)

Transformers 3 is the free movie you recieve though that would take quite a while to download (on a US VPN) and also take up quite a bit of space so not really worth it. Also can't stream it as it seems to recognise your location even with the VPN - same thing if purchase anything in the TV/Movie Store.

If your intending on using these applications alot I'd recommend using a Custom ROM as a couple I've seen have disabled JB freezing those applications so they are available all the time.

Yeah using the US VPN you can access for free the 1 Book and 4-5 Magazines and then view them later on Irish network. You can also use your free credit to purchase books and mags from the US Play Store and then download them using Irish connection for offline viewing later.
    Also if you have an Android phone with a decent size screen you can access them on that, so you can continue your book whereever you go :)

Transformers 3 is the free movie you recieve though that would take quite a while to download (on a US VPN) and also take up quite a bit of space so not really worth it. Also can't stream it as it seems to recognise your location even with the VPN - same thing if purchase anything in the TV/Movie Store.

If your intending on using these applications alot I'd recommend using a Custom ROM as a couple I've seen have disabled JB freezing those applications so they are available all the time.

Cheers,

AH feck it, there is no content up there and sure any books i need ill just download them as PDF or something. Im liking the content app though, has the guardian and sun and a few magazines like NOW that her indoors likes, looks very nice aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

dregin wrote: »

Very nice, I like the idea of a wrist strap could be tempted! Let us know how you find it.

Dealextreme are starting to get in accessories for it, im looking for screen protectors, none available yet but i came across this leather case for 8.70euro delivered. Fairly basic but suppose you get what you pay for. No stand function

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/protective-pu-leather-case-for-google-nexus-7-black-147776?item=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

New range of cases out today on mobile fun in the UK
    http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/cat/Nexus-7-Cases.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭jonski

Hi,

I'm new to the Nexus 7 ( obviously )
    I'm not new to android , have a HTC Desire S
    I'm new to rooting or modding or changing in any way shape or form an android device

And now for the question

If I root ( thinking of using the suggested one above 1 Touch Root ) will the Nexus 7 still get any Android JB updates that are released or will I need to do it manually ?

I'm gonna have soooo many questions I should get my own forum ................. or maybe just get one of ye to call to the house and do it

NO! , I'm gonna do this myself with Boardsies help like I have built and repaired countless pc's ...... god damn it .

jonski wrote: »

If I root ( thinking of using the suggested one above 1 Touch Root ) will the Nexus 7 still get any Android JB updates that are released or will I need to do it manually ?

Now I'm not 100% sure on the N7 as I updated mine to 4.1.1 before I rooted it but I've done it before on SGII using the following method and I presume would be same for other Android devices.
    Once your rooted, you can update the firmware. Just boot your phone/tablet into bootloader mode and make sure the firmware is on the root of your sd card (same for tablet), and it should install automatically. You shouldnt lose root after doing this, as I ve updated my firmware a few times and its never happened.

Only by flashing a stock ROM should you lose root.

The rooting itself is an easy process if you use that program I posted to earlier as its more or less a step by step guide though any issues I'm glad to help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

jonski wrote: »
    You can root it and leave the stock ROM on it. This will give you the OTA updates instead of manually flashing but youll probably lose root access with the update

You can root it and leave the stock ROM on it. This will give you the OTA updates instead of manually flashing but youll probably lose root access with the update

I have also read that some people on XDA used the OTA and did not lose their root. I suppose the device and updates being direct from Google means they may be more trustworthy and not put as many checks (bootloader/apps) into their updates.

Though you could also use something like the OTA RootKeeper to get around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

dregin wrote: »

Picked one up at the reduced rate. Was buying some books so got it in on free shipping too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Hi all.

In my apps on the Nexus7 there are two IMEs. One is pinyin, the other Korean. Is it okay to uninstall these? Just worried that they might be system level apps and removal could cause problems.

Total novice when it comes to android. Installed Go Launcher on my Galaxy and thought I was the man!

• Advertisement

Eponymous wrote: »
    Hi all.

In my apps on the Nexus7 there are two IMEs. One is pinyin, the other Korean. Is it okay to uninstall these? Just worried that they might be system level apps and removal could cause problems.

Total novice when it comes to android. Installed Go Launcher on my Galaxy and thought I was the man!

They are for using Chinese or Korean languages with your keyboard. I don't see any reason why they cannot be removed (you can download them again from PlayStore) though I'm not sure why you need to remove them.

Advertisement