Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site (part2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I've used Boards default since I registered and politely but stubbornly resisted all attempts to convert me to Hallowe'en skins, Beta skins, Apple Dumpling skins etc. in the interim.

Tbh, I probably wouldn't have been in any rush to try this either if someone hadn't been in the house and switched it over and said "sure try it for a while!"

But I've become accustomed to it quite quickly, and generally find very little to complain about (that's a compliment btw :p:D).

One thing I do find a tad annoying though is links within posts not really being that easy to spot, especially when they are incorporated into the text.

I haven't read all the original thread, so perhaps this has already been mentioned and answered there; if so, apologies.

Admittedly, the fact that my sight is not the best, and that I'm a tad light-sensitive and would have the brightness turned down on my screen may not be helping in this regard, but I doubt I'm the only one in that particular situation.

In the old default look, links were underlined, and were much easier to spot as a result. Would it be possible to revert to this? ... or is there any other / better way to make them stand out a bit more? ... I don't know, perhaps embolden them* or a stronger shade of blue or something?

Many thanks,

R.

*I notice that even in the OP of this thread, Tony has used bold to make the links stand out ... and I can see those much more clearly! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

1) Not likely, at least not in the near future.

2) Not happening. Your solution is the themes that Tony has already mentioned several times.

3) Searching from the Omnibar is searching for words in posts. Your name doesn't come up that often in post content. If you want to find your post you could have opened the old thread, clicked Search this Thread -> Advanced -> Posts by galwaytt. Or clicked advanced from the search, posts by galwaytt in Feedback.

Dang

1) Why break something that didn't need fixing - I think that's a major fubar.
    2) Again, if, like so many others, the brightness is an issue, surely you can just select that value to be a softer white - it doesn't affect anything else..
    3) Erm, I see. I assumed that is was searching all fields - text and users, based on what comes up on the attached......

212779.jpg

Oh, and, back to the breadcrumbs; the last text field (updated look for the site, part 2, this thread, say), wouldn't that be better as a hyperlink to the thread (say page 1 or last page) as well, otherwise you just get booted out of the thread ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

galwaytt wrote: »
    Dang

1) Why break something that didn't need fixing - I think that's a major fubar.

The old menu expanded to the left and right, so a hover causes no user experience issues. In this design the hover expands downwards, so a hover (even a delayed hover) can throw the whole thing off - why is that menu opening? what does it mean? Why are those forums hidden but others not? Oh look, It's disappeared now etc. As has been said in the last thread, we tried it out and went back to the click to expand.

Getting us to this stage has taken a good chunk of time, like most software developmen some decisions were taken and then built upon. Changing something fundamental such as the way events are handled and menus are expanded isn't trivial. So it's a time vs benefit thing - and right now all the time is being spent on other features people were much more vocal in giving feedback about - the sticky header, the excessive padding, the "what's in my notifications" brigade and some non-default themes.

So, as I said it's not looking likely, and not in the near future. If this changes then I'm sure Tony will let you know.
    2) Again, if, like so many others, the brightness is an issue, surely you can just select that value to be a softer white - it doesn't affect anything else..

I'm not a designer, I don't make these decisions. What I do though is I look at the skin for upwards of 8 hours per day in addition to a lot of other sites with white backgrounds (StackOveflow, Google) and I don't have an issue. There were maybe 100-200 people with an issue on it, there are now 6471 people on the new style - so less than 5% of people have an issue with the black on white, should we change it or should we just let the themes sort it out? We've chosen to let the themes sort it out.
    3) Erm, I see. I assumed that is was searching all fields - text and users, based on what comes up on the attached......

Those 3 things are options, you pick one but all 3 of them are not referring to you as a user but your name as a key word. Now that I think about it, that wouldn't be a bad improvement to make :)
    Oh, and, back to the breadcrumbs; the last text field (updated look for the site, part 2, this thread, say), wouldn't that be better as a hyperlink to the thread (say page 1 or last page) as well, otherwise you just get booted out of the thread ?

Waaaay ahead of you, filed that one myself :D

Thanks for the feedback, to you & all who've posted for far - it's much appreciated.

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Amy2010

I'm not a designer
    This decision will effect a lot of people on Boards.ie and it is beneficial to get advice on colour balance from a designer. It is too often that the site are designed by a committee who are non-designers as well? I've come across few comments after reading this feedback about bright white screen that effect their eyes. I agree as a designer myself to tone down harsh white to softer white even slight hint of grey less than 5% that might do the trick.

I also noticed as the content scroll up / down and you can see them all in between a line as marked in red and I'd suggest fill that in white. board.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Cannot for the life of me find the old link to "Mark all forums read"...can anyone let me know where I can find it in new skin please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

For some reason i'm having to press 'submit reply' twice when submitting posts on my ipad. Only seems to have started happening since this afternoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Excellent job on the latest version of the skin, particularly the 'cozy mode' and the 'new posts' link!

A little something I've noticed right from the beginning with the new skin:
    Type: Design
    Issue: My avatar (a Norway Maple leaf, if anyone's interested) has a faint square outline around it. I went to a fair bit of trouble to create a transparent area around the leaf image, so that it would appear the same on all the skins :D
    See screengrab image below.
    It'd be nice if the square outline could be done away with at some stage, no biggie if it can't though. :)
    Browser & OS: Chrome 20.0.1132.57 m; Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Screen Resolution: Not applicable

212784.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shelliee

Can i ask for fetac what does an unsucessfull result in a module mean??

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i am a problem with the drop down menu from Rec.

The left side of the of the menu is not showing. I am using a netbook, there isnt a problem on the laptop.

just thought i would let you know :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

irishbird wrote: »
    Ah now, irishbird, there's no need to be so hard on yourself!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Checking it on iPad. When I press My Forums and the drop down menu comes up, nothing happens when I press one of the forums. The drop down menu disappears as if it's going to load, but nothing happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭NedLowry

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 float.07

Very good.

Ludo wrote: »
    Cannot for the life of me find the old link to "Mark all forums read"...can anyone let me know where I can find it in new skin please?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/index.php <-- Go here and look down the bottom of the page above the "Who's Online" box. There are two links, one for Mark all forums read, the other for showing the admin team. I'm currently looking for a way to replicate this link in the menu as there is some time sensitive parameters attached to it.
    irishbird wrote: »

The left side of the of the menu is not showing. I am using a netbook, there isnt a problem on the laptop.

just thought i would let you know :)

This will be resolved in the next deployment
    Penn wrote: »
    Checking it on iPad. When I press My Forums and the drop down menu comes up, nothing happens when I press one of the forums. The drop down menu disappears as if it's going to load, but nothing happens.

An issue we are already aware of from the last thread. Any ideas how hard it is to debug issues on an iPad without access to the developer console to poke at things? Very ;)

Amy2010 wrote: »
    This decision will effect a lot of people on Boards.ie and it is beneficial to get advice on colour balance from a designer. It is too often that the site are designed by a committee who are non-designers as well? I've come across few comments after reading this feedback about bright white screen that effect their eyes. I agree as a designer myself to tone down harsh white to softer white even slight hint of grey less than 5% that might do the trick.

I said I wasn't a designer, as in I am a developer - not that we don't have a designer; we've got two experienced designers doing this :)
    Amy2010 wrote: »
    I also noticed as the content scroll up / down and you can see them all in between a line as marked in red and I'd suggest fill that in white. board.png

I cannot replicate this on Firefox on Windows, you're on Firefox on a Mac I take it. I'll see about getting a look tomorrow to see if this is an issue for others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Oh yeah, long usenames still make baby jebus cry; see anything posted by whoopsadaisydoodles, for example.

Rovi wrote: »
    Oh yeah, long usenames still make baby jebus cry; see anything posted by whoopsadaisydoodles, for example.

I fixed that this evening before I left the office. It will be resolved in the next deployment :)

I fixed that this evening before I left the office. It will be resolved in the next deployment :)

Will the icons be updated?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Granted I only mentioned it yesterday or the day before, but my previous issue of 'Page Down'/spacebar skipping about 5 lines more than necessary is still present. Firefox 7, Windows Vista

Also:
    Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing is not working.
    Why not just update to the latested vbulletin version or make the smart switch by converting to IPB?..

It seems to be that this new theme is just a copy of IPB anyway..

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]omg, wow... an amazing difference... looks great, well done.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Feedback:[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-> Update the icons such as blue_star_*.gif,user_offline.gif,etc.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-> More access to around the forum.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-> More modern, (like IPB)[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-> etc..[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thanks.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-> Submit button on left side / Preview button on right side. (Switch them over)[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]An example, also please update the icons in the postbit. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Such as:[/font]
    im_icq.gif[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -> [/font]icq_protocol.png
    im_yahoo.gif[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -> [/font]yahoo.png
    im_msn.gif[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -> [/font]messenger.png
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]etc..[/font]
    yellow_star_1.gif[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-> [/font]031.png
    user_online.gif[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -> [/font]status_online.png
    user_offline.gif[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -> [/font]user_silhouette.png
    report.gif[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -> [/font]dialog-warning.png

• Advertisement

float.07 wrote: »
    Also:
    Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing is not working.
    Why not just update to the latested vbulletin version or make the smart switch by converting to IPB?..

It seems to be that this new theme is just a copy of IPB anyway..

This IPB thing is getting rather tiresome now. We are not now, nor will we at any time in the medium-term future, be going with any off the shelf solution - not vBulletin, not IPB, not phpBB, myBB, SMF, XenForo or any other bulletin board/community platform. Our reasons have been explained in some detail in a few of my previous posts. Why not look them up and see that the only way forward for Boards is our new platform/API? If you want to argue some of the finer points of bulletin board software I'd be happy for you to drop me a private message but first I'd want you to outline any vested interest in IPB you have because you've been selling it hard here for over two weeks now (and I'm guessing it was you who posted over on the IPB forums about Boards.ie). This thread is for design-based feedback only.

The icons may be changed to something more fitting the new style but this will probably come during a much later revision.

This IPB thing is getting rather tiresome now. We are not now, nor will we at any time in the medium-term future, be going with any off the shelf solution - not vBulletin, not IPB, not phpBB, myBB, SMF, XenForo or any other bulletin board/community platform. Our reasons have been explained in some detail in a few of my previous posts. Why not look them up and see that the only way forward for Boards is our new platform/API? If you want to argue some of the finer points of bulletin board software I'd be happy for you to drop me a private message but first I'd want you to outline any vested interest in IPB you have because you've been selling it hard here for over two weeks now (and I'm guessing it was you who posted over on the IPB forums about Boards.ie). This thread is for design-based feedback only.

The icons may be changed to something more fitting the new style but this will probably come during a much later revision.

well its the first time I ever said IPB and ever read about on this forum so no need to get so snappy, easy now...

float.07 wrote: »
    well its the first time I ever said IPB and ever read about on this forum so no need to get so snappy, easy now...

This is you. The user helir was you before that account got banned for spamming about IPB. Like I said, enough with the IPB stuff - you're welcome to PM me if you want to discuss the finer details and why we're not going for IPB or any other software but this thread's for design input only and "Switch to IPB" isn't feedback.

Thanks,

Danny

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Rovi wrote: »
    That's good- it's annoying to have to scroll across to read posts by a user with a long name.

I like this a lot better than the old 'new' one. It seems less bright, but maybe that's my imagination.
    I like the face that there will be more themes at some point- will there be a purple theme at any stage? :o
    I love the 'cozy mode'- it is much better and the floating header a lot less intrusive, although the spelling 'cozy' makes me twitch. :pac:

Posy wrote: »
    That's good- it's annoying to have to scroll across to read posts by a user with a long name.

I like this a lot better than the old 'new' one. It seems less bright, but maybe that's my imagination.
    I like the face that there will be more themes at some point- will there be a purple theme at any stage? :o
    I love the 'cozy mode'- it is much better and the floating header a lot less intrusive, although the spelling 'cozy' makes me twitch. :pac:

We'll all be Americanized by the end of the decade :p. We'll see about getting the z dropped for an s tomorrow. There'll be all sorts of themes, perhaps even a purple one like Minimalist down the line. We're going with White/Blue, a grey and a darker one in the short term :)

Danny

If I write a new post or edit a post the header covers the first couple of lines of the post and I have to scroll up to read what I have posted.
    Is this happening to anyone else? It's not a big hassle though- just wondered! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The floating header isn't floating with me even though I have it checked (I've unticked and treticked three times, logged in and out etc).

Just me or...?

Mine is 'floating' at the moment anyway. But I think someone else mentioned a problem with it earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

Its very bad practice if a user has to change a setting to get the site looking as it should and even then I still don't like the new design. I'm reverting back to the old beta skin.

Advertisement