Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Zagato wrote: »
    Betterbattery stats is really only useful if a rogue app/service stops your phone going to low power state and chews up battery, that doesn't seem to be happening to you, but if you don't use google talk, then it might be worth trying to exit it (it restarts itself sometimes anyway but may be worth a try).

So it might be worth running it immediately after you've seen your phone drain while on standby as your more likely to find the problem then.

I take the battery usage statistics with a large grain of salt, but cell standby does seem to be standing out in your list, which sounds like you're in a very poor signal area which can have a dramatic effect on battery life

I'm with 3 network and signal is poor where I live so could there be anything done to prevent signal constantly searching? Don't want to change network's as the deal I have is the best one I was ever on Payg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I'm with 3 network and signal is poor where I live so could there be anything done to prevent signal constantly searching? Don't want to change network's as the deal I have is the best one I was ever on Payg.

Well the only thing is airplane mode - but then you won't get any incoming calls, messages

Well the only thing is airplane mode - but then you won't get any incoming calls, messages

But it didn't affect the S2 in the same way? Same network etc.

An update or a custom Rom might provide some fix.

But it didn't affect the S2 in the same way? Same network etc.

An update or a custom Rom might provide some fix.

I don't know. As I said Battery usage statistics (large pinch of salt). Also IIRC your battery hadn't gone down very much when on the screenshot, so longer usage might give you a more accurate breakdown?

All I know is that theres is a building at work with very little/no signal, that I occasionally spend a few hours in, and it kills my battery. If I have to spend the day there, even though I don't use the phone at all it can be gone down >50%. So I just switch it to airplane mode when I'm there as I can't receive the calls anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭G1032

draffodx wrote: »
    A Wi-Fi connection will drain less battery than a data connection anyway. So if you've access to a hot spot use that over data as much as you can.

Yeah I know that, but if i turn off my mobile data(packet and roaming) then I get those annoying notifications all the time.

I only use mobile data every few days when I've not wifi around so I don't see the point in having it on the whole time wasting battery juice just so as I can stop those notifications. It has to be some sort of clitch?
    I used to get them all the time too. A fix??? I stumbled upon was to turn on data when i saw the notification without clearing the notification. When data gets turned back on and the roaming button ticked the annoying notification wont reappear..............
    Try and see. Its just something i did by accident and now them notifications are gone.......

• Advertisement

I don't know. As I said Battery usage statistics (large pinch of salt). Also IIRC your battery hadn't gone down very much when on the screenshot, so longer usage might give you a more accurate breakdown?

All I know is that theres is a building at work with very little/no signal, that I occasionally spend a few hours in, and it kills my battery. If I have to spend the day there, even though I don't use the phone at all it can be gone down >50%. So I just switch it to airplane mode when I'm there as I can't receive the calls anyway.

What about if I turn the signal to gsm mode while at home, therefore still able to get calls/sms's but no data? Will this potentially cause less of a strain on the battery due to not been able to receive/search for 3G?

G1032 wrote: »
    I used to get them all the time too. A fix??? I stumbled upon was to turn on data when i saw the notification without clearing the notification. When data gets turned back on and the roaming button ticked the annoying notification wont reappear..............
    Try and see. Its just something i did by accident and now them notifications are gone.......

Yeah but you have to have data+roaming both ticked to prevent the notifications from appearing which is what I was on about in the first place!

What about if I turn the signal to gsm mode while at home, therefore still able to get calls/sms's but no data? Will this potentially cause less of a strain on the battery due to not been able to receive/search for 3G?

This is one of the few things that will give you noticeably improved battery. The problem is its such a pain in the ;$€ to switch. One of the reasons I like CM9 is that it has an option to turn one of the toggle switches in the notification drawer to a 2G/3G switch. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get taker to do this for me based on location.
    Someone on XDA has developed an app called 2GToggle or Toggle2G (can't remember) which should allow this but can't get it to work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

My wifi is poor and keeps dropping out compared to itouch or htc desire on fringe. Is my phone broken or needs updating?Got it yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JOCookie

I noticed my battery was only lasting less than a day and at night for the 8 hours the battery would go down around 20%, I live in a rural enough location, so the signal isnt the best, So what I did was turned on 2g only, and turned of Mobile data when I wasnt using it, now the battery seems to last a good bit longer, like last night it only went down 2% over night (about 7 hours).

I use wi-fi mostly so dont really need the Mobile data unless I want to check my emails and that when I am out of the house. I didnt change anything else on the phone like screen brightness or background screens.

So yesterday, all day I had Mobile data turned off, only turned it on about 4 times to check emails through out the day, sent 8 text messages and made a 15min phone call. and checked a few bits on the internet about 10 mins in total, and played poker for about 10mins on the bus home. I didnt want to use it to much, I was just testing the battery. and I have to say it was decent. less than 25% battery in the day!

It was hard not to play with it all day but, I wanted to make sure there wasnt an app in the background draining the battery on me.

screenshot2012060806423.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

This is a bit off topic but in that screenshot, I notice the battery percentage is in the notifications bar? Is that in the S3 stock rom, or is it a custom rom? Would love that on my unrooted S2..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Its in the stock rom.
    Zonda999 wrote: »
    This is a bit off topic but in that screenshot, I notice the battery percentage is in the notifications bar? Is that in the S3 stock rom, or is it a custom rom? Would love that on my unrooted S2..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭jgbyr

GreenPower,battery saving app gives you the precentage left, if you want to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

Stock ROM:

Settings > Display > Display Battery Percentage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Yeah, I know there are plenty of those type apps that give you the percentage on the left side of the notification bar, but I liked the look of the one in the S3 ROM above. I just use a widget on my S2, although clearly it wouldn't have taken much for Samsung to put that feature in the S2's ICS rom, its not that cutting edge a feature..
    plys wrote: »
    Stock ROM:

Settings > Display > Display Battery Percentage

Not in the S2 unfortunately! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JOCookie

Its not on the S2, just on the S3. It is very handy.

Not in the S2 unfortunately! :)
    Ah, I see...

Have you tried SlimICS?
    Excellent Custom ICS ROM with OTA updates etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Can you control S voice through the headphones like Siri on the iPhone 4S..?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

What is the S Voice? Ive not found it yet or even know what it is about?

I noticed that when I go into the play store any apps that I paid for on the S2 can be downloaded on the S3 without having to pay again. I presume though it is done though your google account.

Have to say after the initial problems I'm loving the phone. I have an ipad but much prefer to use the S3

nope
    iDann wrote: »
    Can you control S voice through the headphones like Siri on the iPhone 4S..?

• Advertisement

Press and hold the home button
    Knine wrote: »

I noticed that when I go into the play store any apps that I paid for on the S2 can be downloaded on the S3 without having to pay again. I presume though it is done though your google account.

Have to say after the initial problems I'm loving the phone. I have an ipad but much prefer to use the S3

3rd full cycle. Woke up this morning a found that my fully charged battery had drained a whopping 60% in 10 hours on standby! :eek:

Screen shots below.

I did find out that my google account had auto set itself to back up/sync my accounts so as you can see the "backup" wakelock was basically keeping the phone awake all night :mad:

I clicked this setting off though now.

What I cant figure out is the past two nights the backup didn't cause those kind of wakelocks even though it was still set to do so.

So why did it cause all this drain last night?

I also had my mobile data turned off PLUS I had the wifi set to turn off during sleep, which would mean that there should have been zero synching/backing up done overnight? But still the phone was synching all night due to the google back up?

[IMG][/img]screenshot2012060812474.th.png screenshot2012060812472.th.png screenshot2012060812393.th.png screenshot2012060812472.th.png screenshot2012060812474.th.png

S Voice is a samsung app which is basically the same as SIRI on the iPhone, it should be in your app drawer..?

When I switched mine on for the first time, all apps downloaded automatically. As in, every app that I had ever downloaded (even if I had uninstalled immediately!!) Lucky it was over Wi-fi!

High praise indeed! :)

Ok I tried the S Voice.

I said look up mother and it brought up the weather!:D

Ok I tried the S Voice.

I said look up mother and it brought up the weather!:D

Ha! I don't rate it much tbh. End up saying 'Hi Galaxy!' repeatedly for about three minutes, and then just give up :mad:

Not too bothered though

The same here. I don't really picture myself talking to the phone very much. The dog was getting jealous I was talking to the phone more than her!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭G1032

Yeah but you have to have data+roaming both ticked to prevent the notifications from appearing which is what I was on about in the first place!

No. Well I don't anyway..............
    After doing that little 'fix' I can turn data on/off when I like without getting the notification

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Can the s3 text resize like htc in the web browser. Mine doesnt seem to be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

What's yere opinions on the battery? Charge it often?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

What's yere opinions on the battery? Charge it often?

I charge it overnight... Lasts a full 24hrs for me and thats with fairly heavy use. With light use I'd say I'd easy get around 36hrs out of it. More or less the same as my SII, although that was rooted with some power saving tricks...

Advertisement