Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Palestine Solidarity Campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭The Israeli

A question to wes:

* How had the international law prevented the 2006 Hezbollah attack on the Israeli northern border?

* How does the international law protect Israel from Hamas rockets?

* How does the international law protect Hamas weapons smuggling, and have you noticed a "mild" increase in rockets rate and range fired from Gaza after Israel withdrew from it? A difference of hundreds percents!

Stop attacking my links only because you haven't got an answer to them. They are excellent. I have proved you wrong many times.
    Just change IPSC to BDS which is virtually the same. Excuse me IPSC, if I'm wrong..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

A question to wes:

* How had the international law prevented the 2006 Hezbollah attack on the Israeli northern border?

* How does the international law protect Hamas weapons smuggling, and have you noticed a "mild" increase in rockets rate and range fired from Gaza after Israel withdrew from it?

Stop attacking my links only because you haven't got an answer to them. They are excellent. I have proved you wrong many times.
    Just change IPSC to BDS which is virtually the same. Excuse me IPSC, if I'm wrong..

You might explain how any of that justifies moving Israeli citizens into areas outside Israels borders....

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭The Israeli

Nodin wrote: »
    You might explain how any of that justifies moving Israeli citizens into areas outside Israels borders....

I can:

1)
    You see, there are terror organizations that are against the peace process because it will involve compromising. Almost any time when there are peace talks they try to sabotage them by firing and committing terror.
    They are afraid of a permanent agreement because it would mean agreeing to give up on returning to 48's borders and the recognition of Israel.
    They are very not interested in that, and therefor paradoxically the security deteriorates every time we discuss peace.

2) Withdrawing from territories doesn't secure peace but gives the terror organizations on the other side a much better opportunity to build its strength against Israel and use it.

----

I really want to see the end of the conflict and Israel retreat from the lands, but first and for all we should agree on the end of the conflict (true intentions made by both sides) and then Israel will securely retreat to 67's legal borders.
    Doing it the other way around may deteriorate security and Israel has only to lose. It's just irresponsible and frankly, foolish given the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

* How does the international law protect Hamas weapons smuggling, and have you noticed a "mild" increase in rockets rate and range fired from Gaza after Israel withdrew from it? A difference of hundreds percents!

What does any of the above have to do with a peace deal. Oh wait nothing. Changing the goal post again. I was talking about a peace deal based on International law.

The above examples, are happening due to there being no peace. Seriously, you are coming up with more and more nonsense. You really haven't slightest idea what the hell you are talking about.

Also, in regards to Gaza, you forgot all about Israel siege, but then you aren't one for inconvenient facts.
    Stop attacking my links only because you haven't got an answer to them.
    They are excellent. I have proved you wrong many times.

No, your links were half the time off topic, and had nothing to do with the IPSC. You also deliberately mis-represented the content of your links as well several times. You have lied time and again.

You have openly and repeatedly lied, and have admitted earlier to being unable to prove your own claims:
    Before I wrote the last line, I thought: I have no proof,

There you admitting that your own posted link contained no proof. There is no point in wasting my time even looking at your links. There either off topic, or don't contain what you claim.

More nonsense as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

wes wrote: »
    There are protests in the West Bank as well, in support of the hunger strikers.

There is more than one hunger strikers. If you are calling these guys lunatics on the basis of a hunger strike, then you may as well be calling the likes of Ghandi and other non-violent activists lunatics. Also, the various protests in support of them, clearly shows that a great many people do care. So basically, your completely wrong.

Hunger strikes and other non-violent protest worked for Gandhi pretty damn well, what with the end of the British Raj......

any man that kills himself in sound mind........to me ...is a lunatic.....

ghandi didn't free india.......he only had a small part in it..it was the second world war that freed india.....three million indians fought for the allies in ww2

the hunger strikers are wasting their lives........imo

i firmly believe that palestine should be as the borders were after the first world war.....if they want to settle for less.....i am ok with that......but they are going the wrong way about it.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

any man that kills himself in sound mind........to me ...is a lunatic.....

The purpose is not to kill themselves. Its to effect change.
    ghandi didn't free india.......he only had a small part in it..it was the second world war that freed india.....three million indians fought for the allies in ww2

Tell that to the Indians.....
    the hunger strikers are wasting their lives........imo

The last Palestinian hunger striker who kicked the most recent bout of this tactic off, is alive and well, and now a free man. These guys do not intend to die, but to effect a change.
    i firmly believe that palestine should be as the borders were after the first world war.....if they want to settle for less.....i am ok with that......but they are going the wrong way about it.........

What do you suggest then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

lividduck wrote: »
    I suggest you read the earlier posts by Wild Bill whose post I was replying to. He has repaetedly endorsed the legitimacy of suicide bombimg civillian buses in Israel, or as he insultingly refers to it "The Zionist Entity".:mad:

Indeed I did. Rightly so. (Though I didn't mention "bombimg civillian buses") !

A gun is a legitimate weapon - that doesn't mean your Islamophobic pal Brevik in Norway's shooting spree was legit because he used a gun. :rolleyes:

I see you are now in the business of attributing a host of political views to a range of Irish artists on the basis they don't appear on the boycott list.

Have you met them? Do you know anything about them?

I very much doubt it. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭VALIS

A question to wes:

You can contact an IPSC official here and obtain their actual views/positions rather than ascribing your assumptions to them:

http://www.ipsc.ie/contact

But I suppose you will not as you seem quite happy with your current routine.

wes, what about the borders? what about the 48th refugees? what about recognizing Israel? What about guaranteeing the Israeli security against terror organizations?

NOTHING!! it's not a solution. If Israel RETURNS territories that are necessary for its security it must GET back GUARANTEES.

It's not a solution..

So. Lemme sum this up.......

The Zionists have grabbed other people's lands, ethnically cleansed them, murdered men women and children, committed war crimes - and are still doing all of that - but you won't stop till your victims promise not to look for any of their homes and farms back?

And, in fact, promise to protect your theft of their property?

Can't see that "solution" working either! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

The boycott of Israel is having very little effect. Ireland is importing more than ever from Israel. There is now more Israeli products & technologies sold & used in Ireland than ever before.

As for the cultural boycott, I think it affects the artists more than the Israeli public. Financially, the artist takes a hit by not going to another country to sell/perform, and there is also an initial wave of negativity towards the artist after a cancellation, which will affect their sales/popularity (for an initial period at least).

The cultural boycott is allowing Israeli artists & performers to flourish within their country. Israelis listen to, buy and support their own singers and artists a lot more than, for example, Ireland would with their own.

As for Bono being in Israel last month - it wasn't to do with music. He is an investor in Dropbox, who work closely with tech firms in Israel.

Speaking of which, I wonder why the IPSC doesn't boycott the websites and web technologies based in Silicon Wadi (second most important tech hub in the world, after Silicon Valley) - or is this boycott highly selective?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Is the Israeli paid to post stuff on boards excusing zionist barbarity?

It's a mass hunger-strike.
    http://www.npr.org/2012/05/08/152255930/palestinians-rally-around-prisoners-on-hunger-strike[/QUOTE]

i watch the news every day.....i haven't heard about it.......so, i doubt the people that matter haven't heard about it.......public opinion is their greatest asset...

It's a mass hunger-strike.
    http://www.npr.org/2012/05/08/152255930/palestinians-rally-around-prisoners-on-hunger-strike[/QUOTE]

i watch the news every day.....i haven't heard about it.......so, i doubt the people that matter haven't heard about it.......public opinion is their greatest asset...

since 1956...when i was a kid watching the troops embark for the suez....i have had an interest in palestinian/israeli affairs......

all i can see is that force is not working......they need mass public opinion to change, especially in the usa and europe....

I can:

1)
    You see, (............)experience.

If you could, its a shame you didn't. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though, and assume you just scanned the question. Here it is again, with a bit of bold and underline -

You might explain how any of that justifies moving Israeli citizens into areas outside Israels borders

all i can see is that force is not working......

What?!!

How do you think Israel came to exist and expand! :rolleyes:

AN IRISH novelist who was targeted by the Ireland Palestine Solidarity Campaign has described an open letter written to him as “outright intimidation” and said he would not be “bullied or cajoled” into responding to it.
    “Nobody tells me where I can or cannot read my work. I’m not going to allow myself to be drawn into any political controversy for any people’s ends, I don’t care how many other writers they line up, it is completely irrelevant to me. They can brand me anything they want. I’m apolitical. Good people live everywhere. I’ll stick to my writing.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0515/1224316130335.html

Good on him.

The IPSC sent four emails to his previous employer, and after receiving no reply decided to write an open letter to him. They accused Donovan of ignoring them however he was completely unaware of this campaign.

It turns out Donovan had cancelled his trip to Israel 2 months ago because he is recovering from cancer. IPSC have since apologised to him.

This public pressure and intimidation tactics used by the IPSC is not on. I'm glad to see artists/performers(Nicky Larkin, Dervish, Donovan, etc.) speaking out lately and making public the tactics the IPSC are subjecting them to.

Wild Bill wrote: »

What?!!

How do you think Israel came to exist and expand! :rolleyes:

greater force always works....the palestinians do not have that....

and it is not working....that is apparent, to all..

brimal wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0515/1224316130335.html

Good on him.

The IPSC sent four emails to his previous employer, and after receiving no reply decided to write an open letter to him. They accused Donovan of ignoring them however he was completely unaware of this campaign.

It turns out Donovan had cancelled his trip to Israel 2 months ago because he is recovering from cancer. IPSC have since apologised to him.

This public pressure and intimidation tactics used by the IPSC is not on. I'm glad to see artists/performers(Nicky Larkin, Dervish, Donovan, etc.) speaking out lately and making public the tactics the IPSC are subjecting them to.

You're trying to tell me that an open letter is "intimidation"?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep, of course it is. Of the insidious kind when used for political ends. It's an attempt to publicly shame and bully someone and a bit of a shítty move IMHO. Doubly so as they had already attempted to contact him and this was rejected/ignored/missed. If they had really wanted to contact him they could have you know sent him one of those old fashioned things, an actual letter. TBH if anyone used that tactic with me they'd be told to fcuk right off pretty damn fast, even if up to that point I agreed with them. That's all regardless of the political football involved.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yep, of course it is. Of the insidious kind when used for political ends. It's an attempt to publicly shame and bully someone and a bit of a shítty move IMHO. Doubly so as they had already attempted to contact him and this was rejected/ignored/missed. If they had really wanted to contact him they could have you know sent him one of those old fashioned things, an actual letter. TBH if anyone used that tactic with me they'd be told to fcuk right off pretty damn fast, even if up to that point I agreed with them. That's all regardless of the political football involved.

...they sent him four, they didn't get through, so they sent an open one. Theres nothing new or unique about these tactics - they've been used in relation to East Timor, Apartheid SA, civil rights here and in the US - its par for the course.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No they sent him four emails. Emails are easily lost in spam filters. They could be sure registered letter would have gotten to him. But no, they wanted to make a point/scene. As for it being used before. I know. So what? Doesn't make it any less twatty, regardless of the subject(as I pointed out). Those kind of intimidation tactics piss me right off.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

No they sent him four emails. Emails are easily lost in spam filters. They could be sure registered letter would have gotten to him. But no, they wanted to make a point/scene. As for it being used before. I know. So what? Doesn't make it any less twatty, regardless of the subject(as I pointed out). Those kind of intimidation tactics piss me right off.

"intimidation" my arse, to be blunt.

"intimidation" my arse, to be blunt.
    Wildean riposte. If that's the way you think it's OK to roll, fair enough, but it's not mine. I'm sure if the Israelis did similar people would take issue(I would). It seems the perceived twattiness of a tactic is all about the subject and one's stance on it. The IPSC were just showboating and hoping to elicit some shame in the individual involved from the publishing of an "open letter". A private individual too. Whatever about the value of an open letter to a government or organisation firing one off to this guy after really pushing the boat out with the emails* :rolleyes: was designed to be intimidatory.

*Donovan claims neither he nor his publisher ever got these emails. I'd not be surprised to find the four emails to be BS and they went straight to the open letter. I mean these goons didn't even know why Donovan cancelled his trip. I'm with him on this point, "idiots" they are. Fcuking amateur hour.

Wildean riposte. If that's the way you think it's OK to roll, fair enough, but it's not mine. I'm sure if the Israelis did similar people would take issue(I would)..

I'd write a fucking open letter thanking them for changing their tactics. Given the kind of thing that goes on, it would be a big step forward.
    It seems the perceived twattiness of a tactic is all about the subject and one's stance on it. The IPSC were just showboating and hoping to elicit some shame in the individual involved from the publishing of an "open letter". A private individual too. Whatever about the value of an open letter to a government or organisation firing one off to this guy after really pushing the boat out with the emails* :rolleyes: was designed to be intimidatory.

*Donovan claims neither he nor his publisher ever got these emails. I'd not be surprised to find the four emails to be BS and they went straight to the open letter. I mean these goons didn't even know why Donovan cancelled his trip. I'm with him on this point, "idiots" they are. Fcuking amateur hour.

Hmmmm. You know you thanked this open letter to Sean Sherlock?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76738968

and this one to Gilmore, Kenny and Cowan.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68700242

It's part of the intimidation routine the IPSC use, yes.

This open letter story was passed to the national media too, before Donovan knew about it. More pressure by the IPSC.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0514/1224316064391.html

Today the IPSC have removed all traces of this Donovan fiasco off their website. Seems to me they realise they were out of line, even if you don't think so.

It's part of the intimidation routine the IPSC use, yes..

If you genuinely, genuinely think that an open letter constitutes intimidation, then I'd suggest you are unusually thin skinned. No offence, but its really a bit "off the wall".
    This open letter story was passed to the national media too, before Donovan knew about it. More pressure by the IPSC.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0514/1224316064391.html

Today the IPSC have removed all traces of this Donovan fiasco off their website. Seems to me they realise they were out of line, even if you don't think so.

I'd imagine the "fiasco" was that he was off recovering from cancer and thus incommunicado. Their fuck up was to not see why there was no reply to their communications and assume that he was ignoring them.

Hmmmm. You know you thanked this open letter to Sean Sherlock?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76738968

and this one to Gilmore, Kenny and Cowan.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68700242
    Well done. Now do you understand the difference between a private citizen and an elected representative and/or public body? I'll give you a little hint, there's a difference.
    If you genuinely, genuinely think that an open letter constitutes intimidation, then I'd suggest you are unusually thin skinned. No offence, but its really a bit "off the wall".
    I'm pretty damn thick skinned but an open letter of that nature addressed to me would get my hackles well up. So in your humble it's not intimidation? OK then what is it's purpose? Simple question.
    Their **** up was to not see why there was no reply to their communications and assume that he was ignoring them.
    So it's down to the communications eh? Well numero uno he and his publishers claim there were no emails to him or through them to him. The IPSC could easily blow that claim outa the water with email records. They haven't and have removed the references to him and this from their website. They could have requested a read receipt while they were at it. Anyway if it was really all about communicating with the chap, if they really wanted to communicate with him in an above board manner without attempting to pressure him in the light of public opinion, then a registered letter would have gotten through to him. If at that point he still refused to reply, that is his right as a private citizen. But no, they had a flush of righteous indignation(about the worst kind) and tried the public shaming route. If they thought emails and other comms didn't work, then why think an "open letter" would?

I support the Palestinians the majority of the time(while supporting the right of Israel to exist). Too often the Israeli authorities have acted like bloody criminals and landgrabbers with a side order of geographical genocide while they're at it, however when right on campaigns like this come up and come out with guff like this, I just think "twats".

I think open letters are fine when it is justified.

It wasn't just an open letter though was it - this was a campaign to get Donovan to cancel his trip, or at least respond to them. Getting the Irish Times involved, multiple emails, etc. He is just a writer wanting to get his work out to as many people as possible.

IPSC shouldn't be forcing their views onto him or any other artist. Everyone can make their own decisions on where they want to go, or who they want to share their work with.

I stand by my statement that IPSC employ intimidation tactics. How many more artists or performers have to come out and say they feel intimidated before you actually believe there is intimidation going on?

Well done. Now do you understand the difference between a private citizen and an elected representative and/or public body? I'll give you a little hint, there's a difference.".

Do you understand the difference between a "private person" and a person in the public eye? They did not play "pin the tail on the donkey" with a phonebook.
    I'm pretty damn thick skinned but an open letter of that nature addressed to me would get my hackles well up. So in your humble it's not intimidation? OK then what is it's purpose? Simple question..

Its 50% plea/50% Emotional/moral blackmail, you might say. It puts the persons stance in a public light, and their following response as well.
    So it's down to the communications eh? Well numero uno he and his publishers claim there were no emails to him or through them to him. The IPSC could easily blow that claim outa the water with email records. They haven't and have removed the references to him and this from their website. They could have requested a read receipt while they were at it. Anyway if it was really all about communicating with the chap, if they really wanted to communicate with him in an above board manner without attempting to pressure him in the light of public opinion,..

Hang on - You do realise that a great deal of the purpose of an open letter - as with the two you "thanked"- is to pressure people "in the light of public opinion".

If you've a problem with that tactic, I'd suggest you're currently working under "Doublethink".
    then a registered letter would have gotten through to him. If at that point he still refused to reply, that is his right as a private citizen. But no, they had a flush of righteous indignation(about the worst kind) and tried the public shaming route. If they thought emails and other comms didn't work, then why think an "open letter" would? ,..

I would guess - and its a guess, I'm not privy to any inside knowledge - that they wanted to open a dialog, be it public or private
    I support the Palestinians the majority of the time(while supporting the right of Israel to exist). Too often the Israeli authorities have acted like bloody criminals and landgrabbers with a side order of geographical genocide while they're at it, however when right on campaigns like this come up and come out with guff like this, I just think "twats".

It's par for the course for campaigns to issue open letters for any number of reasons. It's part and parcel of peaceful civil action and has been for a very long time. I find it odd that you didn't seem to have a problem with it until now.

• Advertisement

I think open letters are fine when it is justified.
    ?

OOOooooooo. With ye now. Its alright except for when the bad guys use it, kind of thing.
    It wasn't just an open letter though was it - this was a campaign to get Donovan to cancel his trip, or at least respond to them. Getting the Irish Times involved, multiple emails, etc. He is just a writer wanting to get his work out to as many people as possible.

You could call it that. That is what people do, in these situations. Its part of campaigning, to campaign. Presumably you think its ok "when it is justified" and it only strikes you as erroneous here, for some reason.

It's rather a shame that new found sensitivity of yours wasn't directed towards everybody who campaigns for a cause, or occupies an area.
    IPSC shouldn't be forcing their views onto him or any other artist. Everyone can make their own decisions on where they want to go, or who they want to share their work with.

They can't force him to do anything.
    I stand by my statement that IPSC employ intimidation tactics. ?

I stand by the obvious - that letters do not constitute intimidation (threats of violence etc excepted).
    How many more artists or performers have to come out and say they feel intimidated before you actually believe there is intimidation going on?

Well as I use rather a more realistic standard as to what constitutes intimidation, we'd have to wait and see.

Advertisement