Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

Cork team to face KK to be announced tonight. Dont think there will be much changes from d Tipp match, with the exception of Donal Og obviously!
    I think Nash will take up the position between the sticks he deserves a crack at first team action at this stage!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Team to play KK. Coleman gets the nod in goal. Brian Murphy starts in the corner while Lehane starts!

1. Martin Coleman, 2. Shane O'Neill, 3. Stephen McDonnell, 4. Brian Murphy, 5. Seán Óg hAilpín, 6. Eoin Cadogan, 7. William Egan, 8. Lorcán McLoughlin, 9. John Gardiner, 10. Conor Lehane, 11. Pa Cronin, 12. Niall McCarthy, 13. Luke O'Farrell, 14. Paudie O'Sullivan, 15. Patrick Horgan.

Coleman is also a serious keeper he deserves a crack at it too! Looking forward to seeing how he fares!

Jamie Coughlan loses out to Lehane. Jamie is playing good hurling I would assume he'll be introduced at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

croker1 wrote: »
    Coleman is also a serious keeper he deserves a crack at it too! Looking forward to seeing how he fares!

Jamie Coughlan loses out to Lehane. Jamie is playing good hurling I would assume he'll be introduced at some stage

Loses out to Luke.

Going from the last game against Tipp its Conor replaces him at half forward. Luke started corner that day.

• Advertisement

Going from the last game against Tipp its Conor replaces him at half forward. Luke started corner that day.

Lehane was always going to start. The final corner-forward spot was between Luke and Coughlan.

Orizio wrote: »
    Lehane was always going to start. The final corner-forward spot was between Luke and Coughlan.

I don't deny that fact. Lehane was always going to be in the starting team unless he had exams. I just stated that from the team the last day out Lehane comes in directly for Jamie. I'll make myself more clear for you the next time if it bothers you! :rolleyes:

I don't deny that fact. Lehane was always going to be in the starting team unless he had exams. I just stated that from the team the last day out Lehane comes in directly for Jamie. I'll make myself more clear for you the next time if it bothers you! :rolleyes:

Bloody hell are you ok? :confused:

What I stated was a more accurate representation of who is actually losing out to who, I've no idea why you are taking things so personally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Although I'm really looking forward to the FA final later, I still find myself thinking about tomorrows final. Will kk 'rough up' the Cork lads? Will the Cork lads give it back? Will Lehane have 3 different kk defenders marking him like the last day - as they couldn't hold him? Will..... Might..... Christ I wish the hurling was today and the soccer tomorrow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Im actually nervous about tomorrow also. Its only league final, but I think were we to get bit of hammering from Kilkenny it might knock us back more then we expect.

Once we come out injury free and play as well as we can I think we can win, although I just fancy Kilkenny to be that little bit more crafty and experience may tell.

• Advertisement

Ok, soccer is a really stupid game!

Hope the girls can win the curtain raiser.

Bring on the Cats!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

How bad was Coleman for that goal?

Pathetic goalkeeping so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

Yes it was very disappointing. Maybe his studs got caught in the ground......

2-5 to 0-1 already.....:(

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Delighted for the camogie girls beating Wexford to win the Div 1 title

Coleman at fault for 1-2 already, the goal should have been stopped and two misplaced puckouts that came straight back over his bar, went down too easily, not standing up to the ball

Cronin not picking the ball up after two attempts on his own, and it ends up being a goal at the other end. Shooting themselves in the foot

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Terrible stuff we are away off the pace, no intensity no direction

You have to bring your A game when playing kk, from the very start. You cannot gift scores the them or anyone else. You cannot have as many misplaced passes as Cork had. You need to mark your man and follow them - especially at midfield.

Coleman - probably won't play as bad in a Cork jersey again. Our midfield were useless. Sweetnam was one of Corks best players I thought - a sub!! So much to put right...but the good thing is we will not play anyone as good as kk for the rest of the season.

Cork will have to learn alot of lessons from todays game. If they do, it will certainly stand to them.

At least the ladies hurled well!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

mistakes, and KK punishing them was the difference today

Goal 1 - Coleman should have stood up to the ball; goal 2 - Cronin not being able to pick up the ball while under no pressure twice, ball ends up being in the back of the net; goal 3 - Coleman passing the ball to TJ Reid

Dunno how many times the KK backs won the ball cleanly from puckouts, stupid little flicks being passed straight to KK players, Cork major players in their own downfall today. Hard to watch, but hopefully lesson will be learned by all

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Well today was a reality check for Cork hurlers! The team never showed up today and seemed to be overawed by the occasion and the intensity of the Kilkenny play. Hopefully they'll use this as a learning curve towards the future and learn from today,with championship only a few weeks away they need to get this game out of their system fast and prepare for a Munster semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Sickening result for Cork yesterday. Said it here before that no team beats Kilkenny twice in one year. Expected Kilkenny to win yesterday but not slaughter Cork that badly. Dont know where that leaves Cork hurling at the moment.

teednab-el wrote: »
    Sickening result for Cork yesterday. Said it here before that no team beats Kilkenny twice in one year. Expected Kilkenny to win yesterday but not slaughter Cork that badly. Dont know where that leaves Cork hurling at d moment.

Alot better than it was this time last year.

Cork will not be playing kk too often. We must measure ourselves against the other teams aswell. This years championship will be very interesting. Cork will learn alot from yesterday. It will stand to them later in the season.

Also, whatever about kk, Cork played poorly. Giving away posession from numerous puckouts and when not even under pressure. They gave away more ball yesterday than I've seen them do in a long time. Cronin gained alot of primary posession but passed to a kk man 4 or 5 times when not even under pressure - surely that's a one off!

Taking all things into consideration, I am eagerly looking forward to the Munster championship - Cork are capable of beating any team in Munster I feel. Pity we have to wait so long to see them in action again.

• Advertisement

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Sickening result for Cork yesterday. Said it here before that no team beats Kilkenny twice in one year. Expected Kilkenny to win yesterday but not slaughter Cork that badly. Dont know where that leaves Cork hurling at d moment.

Alot better than it was this time last year.

Cork will not be playing kk too often. We must measure ourselves against the other teams aswell. This years championship will be very interesting. Cork will learn alot from yesterday. It will stand to them later in the season.

Also, whatever about kk, Cork played poorly. Giving away posession from numerous puckouts and when not even under pressure. They gave away more ball yesterday than I've seen them do in a long time. Cronin gained alot of primary posession but passed to a kk man 4 or 5 times when not even under pressure - surely that's a one off!

Taking all things into consideration, I am eagerly looking forward to the Munster championship - Cork are capable of beating any team in Munster I feel. Pity we have to wait so long to see them in action again.

Cork need to win Munster badly in order for us to make progress. A national league would have been nice but not end of the world. No silverware since 2006 is a shocking statistic for a proud hurling county like Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Cork need to win Munster badly in order for us to make progress. A national league would have been nice but not end of the world. No silverware since 2006 is a shocking statistic for a proud hurling county like Cork.

Don't be greedy, we haven't had any silverware since 96. And we're proud too...

Fireball07 wrote: »

Don't be greedy, we haven't had any silverware since 96. And we're proud too...

Didn't say Limerick werent proud. Any county who has a hurling tradition can be proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Goalie was awful yesterday he even mis hit a simple free out also. The full back was caught on numerous times it's a troublesome positon. Half back line struggled for pace, midfield was awful, half forward line were cleaned, only hoggie looked like a real inter county player.

Lets face facts; how many of that cork team would make the Kilkenny panel

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    Goalie was awful yesterday he even mis hit a simple free out also. The full back was caught on numerous times it's a troublesome positon. Half back line struggled for pace, midfield was awful, half forward line were cleaned, only hoggie looked like a real inter county player.

You could say the same about every county in Ireland!!

Not too many I reckon.

The problem now for the other hurling counties is that there are too many good Kilkenny players on the Kilkenny panel. Most counties have a few class players but Kilkenny have class players in every position on the field and more on the subs bench and a lot more coming through the underage ranks. They will be around for a long long time and will win more All Ireland's for a long time to come.

Hopefully this defeat can inspire Cork to come back stronger, but they wont be winning any All Irelands any time soon from what I saw yesterday.

Dont know why Nash wasn't started yesterday, he did very well against Tipperary, should have been given a chance anyway.

Sick and tired of some analysists saying that Tipperary didn't take the Cork game seriously as they didn't want to play Kilkenny etc. No team would have got close to Kilkenny yesterday on that performance.

No team would have got close to Kilkenny yesterday on that performance.

Not really, Dublin could have matched KK's physicality and their intensity, they've done it a few times now. So have Tipp obviously. It wasn't even a vintage KK performance, they hit some awful wides.

Orizio wrote: »
    Not really, Dublin could have matched KK's physicality and their intensity, they've done it a few times now. So have Tipp obviously. It wasn't even a vintage KK performance, they hit some awful wides.

I disagree, When Dublin met Kilkenny in the championship in 2011, after the League Final, Cody made sure he put things right and they destroyed Dublin in that game. That ended notions that Kilkenny were approaching an end of an era. Tipperary were pretty much destroyed in last years final too eventhough it was a respectable defeat. The game was over before Tipp made a fight back. If Kilkenny want to play and if they are wounded from a previous defeat, they will always make sure they come back and win. We have seen that so many times now.

• Advertisement

I disagree, When Dublin met Kilkenny in the championship in 2011, after the League Final, Cody made sure he put things right and they destroyed Dublin in that game. That ended notions that Kilkenny were approaching an end of an era. Tipperary were pretty much destroyed in last years final too eventhough it was a respectable defeat. The game was over before Tipp made a fight back. If Kilkenny want to play and if they are wounded from a previous defeat, they will always make sure they come back and win. We have seen that so many times now.

Probably in the back of JBM's mind for later in the season:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement