Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android 4.0 Tablet (7" Capacitive, Wi-Fi, 1GHz) = €92

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

btw guys Chrome is available for Android now. It's still in beta but might be worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

Thank God for Opera Mini.
    Feels like a proper Browser.
    Lovely and snappy.

Half-sorted my microsd problem- I can play stuff off microsd now (listening to the Smith's Still Ill while posting this in Opera Mini :p). Just can't copy stuff from tablet to card.
    How bad.

Overall I'm impressed. The keyboard is pretty good. Just wondering about the battery life. Never did the full charge/recharge cycle before using it when I got it- wonder if that matters.

Anyway thanks for the Opera Mini suggestion.

NOt doing full charge recharge thing doesnt matter with lithium ion batteries I think.
    Battery life isnt too bad, was using tablet for a good bit yesterday, on train and luas for three hours in the morning with brightness on half/full depending on app(kindle and comic rack), used it for about 2 hours in college with the wifi on. Used for an hour in bray station waiting on train, an hour on the train back and still had 40~ % battery remaining.

It should be mentioned I also installed volatage control to underclock the device when its not doing anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

achiman wrote: »
    yes no problems, paid through paypal used DHL when delivery completed you receive email if your happy complete order and payment will be made to supplier...good communication too
    Which supplier did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭achiman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Pandawill seem to be shipping Ainol backorders again.

My order (Ainol Aurora.. hard to tell, no mention of it..) shipped from Singapore, of all places. Very odd notification email from 'Root', spam like..

Another 15-25 days to wait.

I ordered on the 23rd of January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Gloam

Got delivery of the Ainoi Novo 7 Paladin from the OP this morning. Seems to be working fine, except for the fact that Mac OS and Windows don't recognize it as a storage device, as a result I'm unable to install the clean ROM that was suggested a few posts back. Can anyone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

quick question - got the letter from customs looking for details about the cost of the novo advanced ii i ordered,[it's in the country - yay!] which i sent to them on friday morning. haven't received anything back from them - does that mean it'll only be liable for the handling charge or whatever when it's delivered, or how slow are they to process things? does it take a few days usually for customs to get back to ya, in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Yes, a couple of days, and you have to allow for the bank holiday as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Gloam wrote: »
    Got delivery of the Ainoi Novo 7 Paladin from the OP this morning. Seems to be working fine, except for the fact that Mac OS and Windows don't recognize it as a storage device, as a result I'm unable to install the clean ROM that was suggested a few posts back. Can anyone help?

It can't be mounted as a storage device (although you can copy files to the filesystem using ADB, but not recommended unless you know what you're doing). If you have an SD card in it, then that can be mounted as a storage device and you will be able to copy files to it.

eamonnq wrote: »
    Yes, a couple of days, and you have to allow for the bank holiday as well.

thanks for that. going away for a few days at the end of this week and i had hoped it'd be here by then. :(

• Advertisement

I would expect that you would have it by the end of the week.

eamonnq wrote: »
    I would expect that you would have it by the end of the week.

your positive thinking must've spurred them into action - they just replied. it'll be here thursday - subject to a payment of € 31.28. i was expecting to pay something but it seems a bit high considering i only paid €109.

23% vat + a handling charge.........seems about right.

Mr E wrote: »
    It can't be mounted as a storage device (although you can copy files to the filesystem using ADB, but not recommended unless you know what you're doing). If you have an SD card in it, then that can be mounted as a storage device and you will be able to copy files to it.

Should there have been a micro-SD with the device? Or will I have to buy one?

I doubt you got one (unless you added it as part of the order).
    They don't usually bundle them for free....

I doubt you got one (unless you added it as part of the order).
    They don't usually bundle them for free....

Ah ok, is there anyway to access the flash memory to put music or other files on there? Or is it off limits entirely?

Not really, it's more for installing apps.
    As you pointed out earlier, there is no way to mount it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Gloam wrote: »
    Ah ok, is there anyway to access the flash memory to put music or other files on there? Or is it off limits entirely?
    You can plug it into the computer and transfer stuff over to it via USB. That's what I do with my Aurora. You gotta make sure the USB drivers are installed or i dont think it will work. There's 8GB (actually about 6GB what with the apps partition) that you can throw stuff onto. I have a good few videos on there one mine that I threw across via usb.
    Another way to get the stuff onto your tablet is by using a USB key and connect it via the usb-mini to usb port connector cable that should have come with your tablet. It recognised most usb devices. It should at least.

the drivers for XP dont normally install when you connect it first but they installed on Vista for me. Head over to the slatedroid forums for a browse. The information can be overwhelming at first but what you want to find in in there...somewhere.
    I think a lot of the stuff there for the Aurora works for the Paladin but amn't sure.

I stand corrected. :)

If you are planning on connecting a usb key up to your tablet, you'll want some sort of file manager app on there that you can browse the usb key once it says that it's mounted (astro/es file managers will do) and then copy and paste it into the media/music folder, whichever you want really. You usually do this by holding down on the file on the usb (a long press) and a right-click type menu will appear giving you options to copy/paste/delete etc.

You probably find that you need to paste into a folder by long pressing on that particular folder. It wont let you paste once you are already inside that folder...at least in the file manager apps I've tried anyway.

Dont forget to go into the setting-->storage and unmount the usb key before removing it. You get errors when you dont do it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I saw an Archos Arnova G2 in hmv yesterday reduced from €360 to €179 running the ice cream sandwich system.

Is this a good bargain or even a good tablet?

HMV on Grafton Street? I wanted to buy one last week, but they're not in stock in any HMV (I asked the staff member to check availability in other stores). Stock might have changed in the last week, but don't get your hopes up. :)

The demo model was running Gingerbread (2.3) by the way. It wasn't ICS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

HMV on Grafton Street? I wanted to buy one last week, but they're not in stock in any HMV (I asked the staff member to check availability in other stores). Stock might have changed in the last week, but don't get your hopes up. :)

The demo model was running Gingerbread (2.3) by the way. It wasn't ICS.

Tallaght yesterday.
    Definitely ice cream sandwich marked on the box.
    Didn't ask on stock levels....will try at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

If you are planning on connecting a usb key up to your tablet, you'll want some sort of file manager app on there that you can browse the usb key once it says that it's mounted (astro/es file managers will do) and then copy and paste it into the media/music folder, whichever you want really. You usually do this by holding down on the file on the usb (a long press) and a right-click type menu will appear giving you options to copy/paste/delete etc.

You probably find that you need to paste into a folder by long pressing on that particular folder. It wont let you paste once you are already inside that folder...at least in the file manager apps I've tried anyway.

Dont forget to go into the setting-->storage and unmount the usb key before removing it. You get errors when you dont do it that way.

I've found the native file browser app lets you copy and paste to and from microsd and usb keys.
    However for some reason the app always crashes before you can get the photos folder opened. It seems to be that specific folder.

Astro (or ES) don't seem to allow you to paste to microsd or usb but do allow you open this photo folder however. So between Astro and the native app, i have full file browsing/copy/paste functionality. Very clunky but how bad. Won't be transferring that much.

I've found the native file browser app lets you copy and paste to and from microsd and usb keys.
    However for some reason the app always crashes before you can get the photos folder opened. It seems to be that specific folder.

Astro (or ES) don't seem to allow you to paste to microsd or usb but do allow you open this photo folder however. So between Astro and the native app, i have full file browsing/copy/paste functionality. Very clunky but how bad. Won't be transferring that much.
    Ah, sorry. I'm using File manager. It came installed on my Aurora (or else it was packaged with my custom ROM that I've installed)

This will explain what's happening with you.
    And this too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Ah, sorry. I'm using File manager. It came installed on my Aurora (or else it was packaged with my custom ROM that I've installed)

This will explain what's happening with you.
    And this too

Thanks for that.
    extSD is there now- good stuff.
    The odd thing now is the first directory of ES has 15 folders, one of which is "SD card" and one of which is "mnt", within which all the folders (extSD; SD card again etc) are.
    Not a big deal i suppose.

Thanks for that.
    extSD is there now- good stuff.
    The odd thing now is the first directory of ES has 15 folders, one of which is "SD card" and one of which is "mnt", within which all the folders (extSD; SD card again etc) are.
    Not a big deal i suppose.
    So, you should be able to access the sd card contents from that folder in ES? Should make copying stuff from your connected USB keys a little easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

Throw in a few extra bucks for a faster processor and higher res display with the Novo 7 Elf.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/905217/211272768-521542204/Ainol-NOVO-7-ELF-with-Android-4-0-Ice-Cream-Tablet-PC.html

Note: Not endorsing the store, just posting so you can see the specs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

No worries. Looks good. :)

Here's hoping the dollar dips a little more before ordering. :P

Advertisement