Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Grimebox wrote: »
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    Private schools are massive wastes of money both on parents and the state. I dont see the point of them but im open to suggestion maybe theres something I dont see

Just look at the CAO statistics. A much higher percent of people who to go private schools end up going to college. There are obviously exceptions to this (Colaiste Eoin and Colaiste Iosagán in Dublin)

How are they a waste of money on the state???

I totally agree with that part. To elaborate I mean I have a good a degree as those who went to private school. I dont see how private school is required for an excellent degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

LeighH wrote: »
    Correlation is not the same as causation though. Perhaps the kind of parents who send their kids to private school encourage / expect / force their kids to study and go to college? Perhaps those same kids would have done just as well at a public school?

You also are heavily affected by your peers. I would argue a lot of those students who would be borderline would get discouraged in public schools. There is an opposite effect in private schools

Correlation is not the same as causation though. Perhaps the kind of parents who send their kids to private school encourage / expect / force their kids to study and go to college? Perhaps those same kids would have done just as well at a public school?

Indeed a lot of people from disadvantaged ares simply dont see themselves as college material. On the other side of the coin those from private schools are conditioned to think college is for them.

Grimebox wrote: »

You also are heavily affected by your peers. I would argue a lot of those students who would be borderline would get discouraged in public schools. There is an opposite effect in private schools

Thats my point ultimatly theres a lot from private schools who see college as an aim rather than the career behind the degree. Look at the amount of drop outs in first year science for example. The real test of a student is wheter they get a 1.1 or drop out. The disadvantaged students I know dont see dropping out as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭spirit_77

mrs.brown's boys is complete crap.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

spirit_77 wrote: »
    mrs.brown's boys is complete crap.

I don't think that's unpopular.

Thats my point ultimatly theres a lot from private schools who see college as an aim rather than the career behind the degree. Look at the amount of drop outs in first year science for example. The real test of a student is wheter they get a 1.1 or drop out. The disadvantaged students I know dont see dropping out as an option.

Whereas some public schools see people passing their junior cert as a goal.

Secondary schools can't control what people do once they leave. I don't know how they could influence students to be more career orientated before going to college. Nobody would do a philosophy degree if everyone had this mindset. College is a learning experience in itself. I think schools seeing college as an aim for their students is a realistic goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭spirit_77

pmcmahon wrote: »
    I don't think that's unpopular.

be surprised by the amount of people i know who love it and consider it better than father ted :mad:

So in this thread, if your post gets thanked by a lot of people , you actually failed because its not that unpopular :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Unless a man is grotesquely ugly the reason he can't consistently pull hot women is down to his personality. It's not because you aren't good looking enough or too poor, it's because you are weak emotionally or mentally.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

The shawshank redemption is overrated. Midnight express is a far superior prison movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

I have a good a degree

Maybe you should hold off from slating those schools just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Paparazzo wrote: »
    And if you can afford to send your child to private school, better chance you have of affording to send them to college.

Technically just about every school in the state is a private school since they have patrons (usuallly a church) and collect fees "voluntary" contributions from parents. Granted the level of these fees is considerably higher in some schools than others but then again thats how the market works.

skregs wrote: »
    I have a good a degree

Maybe you should hold off from slating those schools just yet.

Lets just say its not english. Hey I never said public schools were much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

You quoted Coppedge (1973).

Concerning Dr. Jack Szostak. 2009

I'm sure Dr Meinheimer would have something to say about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The shawshank redemption is overrated.

Too much of a Hollywood ending for me, good film though, not top 5 or anything like that, without the Hollywood ending coulda been a contender. The Player (the non x rated version) is way under rated.

Anyway, no party has a fecking clue how to get out of the financial crisis. Left and Right wing is just about different ways of repeating the same mistakes again.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

An Irish man has a 1 in 3 million chance of catching HIV from a white women in Ireland today. Ergo.... no chance.
    He also has a 1 in 3 million chance of getting a woman pregnant. Ergo.... no chance. I'm confused now, as people get pregnant all the time :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

My opinion on some mortgages;

It's the same as going into a bar and getting a round of drinks. Barman goes I have these shots only 20 quid more. You hmm and haw then buy them. It was your decision, no one else's.

Now adapt it to property,

You go to the bank for (say) a mortgage totaling 300k, bank manager goes you can have a bigger one if you want (say 450k). You hmm and haw then take it. No one forced you to but now it's everyone's fault but your own.

Yes I have had multiple arguments about this but my opinion is my opinion.

Another thing, did no one have the cop on to not spend 300k on a former council house and instead buy a big house with a bit of land in a commuter area????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Women as good looking as the women in the 'nuts' type magazines that lads drool over are very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Football is fun to play but a snooze-fest to watch.

Irish weather is amazingly good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

- China will not overtake the US as worlds No1 superpower.

- If they did, it would not be "better".

- Ketchup ruins chips, a tiny amount is ok sometimes.

- Sausages drowning in ketchup: wtf? :confused:

- Panda's should be extinct. A lot of money is being spent to preserve a species that wont even help themselves, there are plenty of humans out there who WILL try to survive and need the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 iwishiknew

SV wrote: »
    Women as good looking as the women in the 'nuts' type magazines that lads drool over are very common.

Fixed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 iwishiknew

Ricky Gervais is about as funny as runny poo. An Idiot abroad is short two idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

SV wrote: »

Took a minute to get the ol' noggin around this. :o
    Lanaier wrote: »
    - Panda's should be extinct. A lot of money is being spent to preserve a species that wont even help themselves, there are plenty of humans out there who WILL try to survive and need the money.

Agreed. Pandas should be long gone.

Another unpopular opinion: portions in eating establishments, be it for breakfasts, lunch, or dinner, are WAY to big in this country and need to be reduced. Yes, you could just stop eating but many people hate waste and doggy bags are not the norm here so many (me included) eat more than they want to/should. People might complain about not getting value for money then, so maybe prices should come down too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Originally Posted by Sgt Hartman viewpost.gif
    I can't stand Bod Dylan or Bruce Springsteen. Boring dreary ****ehawks, the two of em.

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Well said. Boring music for boring people.

Boring Grown-up music for boring grown-up people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

focus_mad wrote: »
    Another thing, did no one have the cop on to not spend 300k on a former council house and instead buy a big house with a bit of land in a commuter area????

I did:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Opening up Ireland to Polish workers and other countries drove up rent and drove down wages in areas like hotels and barman where I spent a few years working

Neither of these suited me

I know we followed the UK but I would have preferred higher restrictions like Germany and France did

Many on boards will say immigration was great of course and I'm backwards

But I'm neither a business owner or a landlord and from my point of view, I didn't see many benefits to it.

Guess I'm a xenophobe now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

From another thread capitalism and it has lifed more people out of poverty then any other system tried in history.

If you want to solve Africa's problems what they need is more sweat shops, then they will start to develop.

As for sweat shops, I worked in one, in my first job in the 80s, low pay, shift work, no union and poor conditions as did a lot of people, but then because of those labour intensive jobs coming from foreign investment Ireland was lifted out of the malaise of our economic stagnation to become one of the wealthiest countries in the world.

But now we may be heading back there but I seriously doubt to those depts. We still have it relatively good.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

If i have one Opinion that is popular then i must re-evaluate it .If i have Two then i must re-evaluate myself .If i have three.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

paddyandy wrote: »
    If i have one Opinion that is popular then i must re-evaluate it .If i have Two then i must re-evaluate myself .If i have three.........

The life of the malcontent is tough indeed..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement