Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭anticonno16

Badger nipples for all!

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

I think the govt should have hiked up the price on alcohol (and way more on cigarettes too) if you choose to spend money on alcohol then that's your choice... Pisses me off so much how it didn't get a hike this year or last year yet all of these other changes are screwing people over terribly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

augusta24 wrote: »
    I think the govt should have hiked up the price on alcohol (and way more on cigarettes too) if you choose to spend money on alcohol then that's your choice... Pisses me off so much how it didn't get a hike this year or last year yet all of these other changes are screwing people over terribly!

Yes because Pubs, nightclubs and off licences don't employ people that would be laid off as a result of such a hike on already disgracefully high prices....genius

Not to mention the majority of us like having a few pints to take the edge of the sheer misery of the rest of the cuts

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Yes because Pubs, nightclubs and off licences don't employ people that would be laid off as a result of such a hike on already disgracefully high prices....genius

Not to mention the majority of us like having a few pints to take the edge of the sheer misery of the rest of the cuts

Its your choice to have those few pints, its a luxury. Unlike the families who can't afford to pay their esb bills, or the young people on disability allowances who have had their income cut severely. What about the ridiculous price of petrol for those who need to drive to get to work? Alcohol is a luxury and hiking the price up would not see pubs and nightclubs etc closing as a result, that industry is one of the few that is actually doing well at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    The amount of press coverage (and not just in the tabloids) given to white, middle class, young British girls who go missing/get murdered tends to be way OTT this is particularly the case when the Girl in question was on a foreign holiday at the time or there is the suggestion that the murderer was a paedophile (if murderer was male this is more or less taken as a given).

+1

How many Brazillian girls go missing daily for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Its your choice to have those few pints, its a luxury

So why raise the price even more with tax and deny people that luxury? That's a bit of a contradiction to your original point
    Unlike the families who can't afford to pay their esb bills, or the young people on disability allowances who have had their income cut severely. What about the ridiculous price of petrol for those who need to drive to get to work? Alcohol is a luxury and hiking the price up would not see pubs and nightclubs etc closing as a result, that industry is one of the few that is actually doing well at the moment.

Ha, no it's not, pubs and night clubs are closing through-out the country because people can't afford it anymore

Drink in Ireland is already at an extortionate rate compared to the rest of Europe.

Not great for tourism either having people forking out over €5 for a pint in temple bar

Fishooks12 wrote: »

So why raise the price even more with tax and deny people that luxury? That's a bit of a contradiction to your original point

Ha, no it's not, pubs and night clubs are closing through-out the country because people can't afford it anymore

Drink in Ireland is already at an extortionate rate compared to the rest of Europe.

Not great for tourism either having people forking out over €5 for a pint in temple bar

How exactly am I contradicting myself? My point is if you choose to drink alcohol thats your own decision so you won't get any sympathy off me moaning about tax hikes on it. Its something you should be able to live without if you cant afford it. Families who can't pay their heating or electricity bills don't have the luxury of simply doing without.

Everything in this country is ridiculously overpriced! But if they can continue to hike up the prices of petrol etc. then why the hell not hike it up on alcohol? Two years in a row with no increase is ridiculous considering the extortionate price of petrol for example which keeps on getting higher with the budgets anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Don't agree with the price of a pint going up in pub but something should of been done about the below cost selling in shops and off licenses

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

The 1% help society more than the protesters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 EgalitarianJay

African people consistently score low in intelligence tests and contribute very little to academic fields.

Ashkenazi Jews consistently score high in intelligence tests and dominate most academic fields.

It looks like there are at least some inherent differences in intelligence between populations.

It's very simple.

The question is are these test score averages the result of genetic or environmental factors?

Many scholars lean towards a pure environmental cause in which culture and discrimination are significant variables to consider.

It would be intellectually dishonest to suggest that racist policies such as
    Segregation and Apartheid had no effect on the communities of people of African descent. Even racial hereditarians accept that environment plays a significant role they just believe that there is a significant genetic component.

I have provided several sources that challenge the genetic hypothesis.

Psychometricians admit that intelligence is clearly a polygenic trait (e.g., Jensen, 1973). The existence of a continuous distribution of intelligence, although not necessarily a bell- shaped one, is itself an indication of a polygenic trait. Jensen advanced the argument that there must exist differences at literally thousands of loci that account for the African deficit in intelligence. Despite this assertion, he was never able to demonstrate mechanistically why or how the existence of genetic variation necessarily meant the deficiency of one population in a particular trait. Thus, his scenario was, in the final analysis, ridiculous.

It is true that at the time he put forth his argument, data were just emerging on the measurement of genetic variation (polymorphism) in humans of various races (Nei & Livsh its,, 1989; Nei & Roychoudhury, 1982). However, anthropological data demonstrating that even morphological traits are not consistently differentiated between races had existed for centuries (J. Diamond, 1994, Brace, 1995). Take the example of skin color, which varies on a cline from tropical to arctic. Several "racial" groups have dark skin, including non- European Caucasians and Australoids. A tree of human "racial" groups would have both of these populations on the branches farthest away from Africans (Cavalli-Sforza, Menozzi, & Piazza, 1994).

Thus, clearly dark skin does not vary consistently with "racial" category. To modern population geneticists the idea that races differ consistently for any trait is nonsense. For example, there is more genetic variation among the people of the African continent than there is among all the rest of the human species combined (J. Diamond, 1994), and there is absolutely no reason to suppose that this variation excludes alleles that impact intelligence. Moreover, as Dobzhansky and Montagu (1975) so eloquently point out, natural selection for mental ability is overwhelmingly uniform throughout the world.

Source: The Pseudoscience of Psychometry and The Bell Curve The Journal of Negro Education, Vol. 64, No. 3, Myths and Realities: African Americans and the Measurement of Human Abilities (Summer, 1995), pp. 277-294

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's two thirds genetic and one third environmental, trust me.

This will be my last post on this issue.

I had to thank that.

I'm right, so there.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

augusta24 wrote: »
    Its your choice to have those few pints, its a luxury. Unlike the families who can't afford to pay their esb bills, or the young people on disability allowances who have had their income cut severely. What about the ridiculous price of petrol for those who need to drive to get to work? Alcohol is a luxury and hiking the price up would not see pubs and nightclubs etc closing as a result, that industry is one of the few that is actually doing well at the moment.

Ah yes the old "compare it to the disabled and the ones struggling the most" to maximise your argument. You could use that comparison against anything. I think shoes are a luxury - sure wouldn't we all survive without them..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 EgalitarianJay

Based on what scientific evidence?

Again I have provided several sources which indicate that there is no genetic component whatsoever.

Not only has the article by Cavehill Red been discredited by my sources, there is Anthropological evidence which indicates that intelligence is not unevenly distributed across human populations.

Traits that are clinally distributed are under the control of selective forces that are distributed in graded fashion. Traits that cluster in certain regions are simply the results of relatedness and are not adaptively important. Traits that are of equal survival value for all human populations should show no average difference from one population to another.

Human cognitive capacity, founded on the ability to learn a language, is of equal survival value to all human groups, and consequently there is no valid reason to expect that there should be average differences in intellectual ability among living human populations. The archaeological record shows that, at any one time during the Pleistocene, survival strategies were essentially the same throughout the entire range of human occupation. Both archaeological and biological data contribute to the picture of the slow emergence of human linguistic behavior and its subsequent maturation. The similarities in human capability were not the result of a sudden, recent, and localized common origin.

Instead, the widely shared common human condition was the consequence of a long-term adaptation to common conditions during which specific unity was maintained by low but nontrivial rates of genetic exchange among groups. The differences in human lifeways that have arisen since the end of the Pleistocene-and in most instances much more recently-have had too little time to have had any measurable effect on the generation of inherited differences in intellectual ability.

When average group differences in "intelligence" test scores are encountered, the first conclusion to be drawn is that the circumstances under which intellectual capabilities are nurtured and developed are not the same for the groups in question. Where such tests show different "racial" averages in test scores, this should be taken as an index of the continuing effects of "race" prejudice and not of inherent differences in capability.

Source: An Anthropological Perspective on "Race" and Intelligence: The non-clinal nature of human cognitive capabilities Journal of Anthropological Research, Vol. 55, No. 2, 3 JAR Distinguished Lectures (Summer, 1999), pp. 245-264

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Umm, no.

I think that's wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I F*CKING DESPISE FLORENCE AND THE MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!!

I F*CKING LOVE SLIPKNOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wrrraaaaawwwwhhhhh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kayotic18

racso1975 wrote: »
    Don't agree with the price of a pint going up in pub but something should of been done about the below cost selling in shops and off licenses
    couldn't agree more

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

People don't use their brains any more . I wanted to say peopel are stupid but thought that is a bit too strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

mach1982 wrote: »
    People don't use their brains any more . I wanted to say peopel are stupid but thought that is a bit too strong.

Along with "open your mind" and "wake up!" the above is part of a triumvirate of phrases that say more about the speaker than anything else.

Or, if you'd prefer, peddling this teenage nonsense makes you look foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭rich1874

I think Jaffa cakes are sick... like a soggy orange biscuit...

I hate popcorn...it's like eating styrofoam..

I hate mint chocolate and ice-cream...

I hate people of all races except yellow, i myself am white....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Not on par with the more common themes on this thread but still the amount of people I know who follow this stuff religiously.

I think homeopathy, holistic therapy, energy healing, angel cards, reiki, and all that gobble-dee-gook alternative medicine is one of the biggest over-priced cons out there and should be nowhere near a pharmacy.

My gf went to an angel card reading and was told our unborn daughter (:eek:) was acting like a gaurdian angel guiding her and my life, which thanks to this mystical spirit, I landed my new job.

Oh yes, nothing to do at all with my certs, experience, and hardship that I've worked on and endured for the past 9 years.

For

Fùck

Sake!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Oh, and as an aside - if you, in all seriousness, refer to people as "sheep" or "sheeple" then you fully deserve to have your skull caved in with the nearest blunt object, you smug, condescending ignorant fuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Oh, and as an aside - if you, in all seriousness, refer to people as "sheep" or "sheeple" then you fully deserve to have your skull caved in with the nearest blunt object, you smug, condescending ignorant fuck.

I thought I was the only one who is enraged by these phrases.

As soon as I hear that word mentioned you've completely lost me towards your cause and have instead filled me with contempt. The sheer arrogance and tone that it projects really does say more about the person rather than the "sheeple" that they label.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Everyone should be given a free travel pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I can't stand Bod Dylan or Bruce Springsteen. Boring dreary ****ehawks, the two of em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

I think people over 60 should only be allowed on the roads between 10am and 4pm and then 8pm until 12am.

That way, the weekday Sunday drivers can naff off and let us get to and from work in good time.

I also think it should be mandatory that children get the school buses instead of the "yummy" mummy brigade causing gridlock in their badly parked/badly driven 4x4 mobiles. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Why not perhaps over 75? 60 isn't old at all in this day and age - only to kids. My folks are in their 60s and perfectly capable and alert when it comes to driving.
    mach1982 wrote: »
    People don't use their brains any more.
    "Any more"? Why? What changed?

There are a lot of stupid people - nothing new about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Amen. Why is it that when some genius says everyone else is sheeple, they are so confident that they are exempt from this affliction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭CuriousOne

Dudess wrote: »
    Why is it that when some genius says everyone else is sheeple, they are so confident that they are exempt from this affliction?

Probably from the lack of audible bleating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

Dudess wrote: »
    Why not perhaps over 75? 60 isn't old at all in this day and age - only to kids. My folks are in their 60s and perfectly capable and .

So they're the ones we keep getting stuck behind in the mornings :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Along with "open your mind" and "wake up!" the above is part of a triumvirate of phrases that say more about the speaker than anything else.

Or, if you'd prefer, peddling this teenage nonsense makes you look foolish.

Frsit I'm not a teenager, I'm 29, over thoses 29 years i've learn that, alot never use their brains.

Example, at petrol satations the cap is on the right hand side of the car , but anothe car infront, the other side is free , but insead of either driveing around to the other side when the cap would be on correct side , they sit there blocking the forecourt.

Or using Google before posting on a tech fourm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement