Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

You do realise this is AH, where there have been a number of recent threads on the subject of obesity with MANY people sharing your view?

No, I did not realise that. In day to day life, people get very aggravated if you express this view.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    You should tell more people this, it'll end obesity overnight.

I tell ya, if only people listened to everything I said, we'd be living in a Utopia overnight. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Paparazzo wrote: »
    You should tell more people this, it'll end obesity overnight.

End stupidity and you end obesity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Anyway we all know it's "simple" but it's not really, is it? Obviously there's other things going on with the morbidly obese.

Eat more than you burn and you'll put on weight.
    Eat less than you burn and you'll lose weight.
    Eat as much as you burn and you'll maintain weight.

It's that simple, it really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Seachmall wrote: »
    Eat more than you burn and you'll put on weight.
    Eat less than you burn and you'll lose weight.
    Eat as much as you burn and you'll maintain weight.

People who whinge about metabolic rates just aren't factoring their metabolic rate into the above.

It's that simple, it really is.

Yup, that's what I meant by "simple". But yet, we still have morbidly obese people. Why is that, if it's so simple? The refusal of many people to acknowledge psychological causes is worrying. I hope none of these people ever suffer mental anguish in their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

psychological causes

I get where you're coming from, address the underlying issue, but most people (myself included) are fat due to eating too big portions or due to the ease of fast food.

Of course some are indulging themselves to deal with depression or other similar reasons but I'd wager most of us are simply fat out of laziness.

Don't get me wrong, I comfort eat, my weight goes up and down at times, but I'm aware its my own fault and I don't let it go too far before I reign it in. I don't think depression rates are anywhere close to obesity rates. Also, plenty of depressed people are slim, so I'm not buying that obesity is due to mental illness. As with everything, there will be exceptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

LeighH wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I comfort eat, my weight goes up and down at times, but I'm aware its my own fault and I don't let it go too far before I reign it in. I don't think depression rates are anywhere close to obesity rates. Also, plenty of depressed people are slim, so I'm not buying that obesity is due to mental illness. As with everything, there will be exceptions.

Depression causes many differential symptoms in different people. Some people lost their appetite, some people eat way more than normal. Some people can't sleep, some people sleep too much etc etc. Nowhere did I say every depressed person overeats, or indeed that depression is the only thing that might cause it. So depression rates aren't going to match obesity rates. Plus depression is just ONE kind of mental illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I think men should do the chasing, not women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Zorbas

Irrespective of sex or drive, the one that has highest body mass should do the chasing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

That only works if if the lad is good looking.

Otherwise he is just a stalker.

Zorbas wrote: »
    Irrespective of sex or drive, the one that has highest body mass should do the chasing.

you mean if the woman is physically bigger, she should?
    Fear Uladh wrote: »

That is true.

Either way it should still be the man. A girl should always know when a guy is interested. If she doesn't, then he's doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Zorbas wrote: »

you mean if the woman is physically bigger, she should?
    Fear Uladh wrote: »

That is true.

Either way it should still be the man. A girl should always know when a guy is interested. If she doesn't, then he's doing it wrong.

Agree with that yea but some women just like the attention and nothing beyond that. Some men chase the same women forever and some women like that. There has to be a balance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

The atomic bombings of Hirishoma and (particularly) Nagasaki didnt appreciably hasten the end of the Second world war and the notion they did is simply propaganda to justify a war crime against a civilian population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    The atomic bombings of Hirishoma and (particularly) Nagasaki didnt appreciably hasten the end of the Second world war and the notion they did is simply propaganda to justify a war crime against a civilian population.

They were basically live experiments.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Agree with that yea but some women just like the attention and nothing beyond that. Some men chase the same women forever and some women like that. There has to be a balance!

yeah, see this is where people get stupid - women like to be chased for the attention...and men are happy to do this chasing because they think they'll eventually get some. both stupid.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

On the other hand however.
    The casualties total in the immediate aftermath of the two bombings would not have amounted to much more than those amassed from a few further weeks of the B52 bombs that were setting Japanese cities alight at a huge rate. These cities were all seen as legitimate targets in some form or other because of their production of weapons. At least that is how it is legitimised. Or try and figure out a way of successfully defending against the kamikazi tactics which were in full use at the time. Picture a barely trained 18 year old pilot who is essentially guiding a missile to its target.

At this stage the Americans enjoyed completely unmolested air superiority and treated all merchant ships carrying goods to Japan as enemy targets.
    If you want to look at war crimes against a civilian population look at the B52 bombings ordered for months and months before the Japanese subdued.

However if you want to look at the other side look at the massacres perpetrated by the Japanese on US POW's or Filipino citizens or during their occupation of China where they had deployed a huge amount of their troops even as all the major cities of Japan burned.

The endgame in the Pacific was bloody and brutal and consisted of many battles where precious little tactical gains were made for many many losses on both sides. However to suggest that the US committed war crimes any more than the Japanese is simply untrue.

Would suggest Nemesis as a decent account detailing all aspects of the end game. It makes Stalingrad look like Ann and Barry though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

That is true.

So, only if the guy is good looking should he chase the girl? Introducing subjectivity here is a dangerous thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

On the other hand however.
    The casualties total in the immediate aftermath of the two bombings would not have amounted to much more than those amassed from a few further weeks of the B52 bombs that were setting Japanese cities alight at a huge rate. These cities were all seen as legitimate targets in some form or other because of their production of weapons. At least that is how it is legitimised. Or try and figure out a way of successfully defending against the kamikazi tactics which were in full use at the time. Picture a barely trained 18 year old pilot who is essentially guiding a missile to its target.

At this stage the Americans enjoyed completely unmolested air superiority and treated all merchant ships carrying goods to Japan as enemy targets.
    If you want to look at war crimes against a civilian population look at the B52 bombings ordered for months and months before the Japanese subdued.

However if you want to look at the other side look at the massacres perpetrated by the Japanese on US POW's or Filipino citizens or during their occupation of China where they had deployed a huge amount of their troops even as all the major cities of Japan burned.

The endgame in the Pacific was bloody and brutal and consisted of many battles where precious little tactical gains were made for many many losses on both sides. However to suggest that the US committed war crimes any more than the Japanese is simply untrue.

Would suggest Nemesis as a decent account detailing all aspects of the end game. It makes Stalingrad look like Ann and Barry though.
    View involves too much thought and substance, and thus not in the spirit of the thread - banned.

So, only if the guy is good looking should he chase the girl? Introducing subjectivity here is a dangerous thing.

oh dear.

It was a joke. generally guys that are obsessive about a girl can be split into two groups - flatteringly interested (good looking) and stalker (ugly). I didn't come up with it ya know, it's one of them things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

oh dear.

It was a joke. generally guys that are obsessive about a girl can be split into two groups - flatteringly interested (good looking) and stalker (ugly). I didn't come up with it ya know, it's one of them things.

Ah yeah, I wasn't being serious either myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I hate being an ugly stalker :(

I hate being flatteringly interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I think thanking people's photos of themselves is a bit weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

Ryan Goslings face annoys me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Minutes' silences make me cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Private schools are massive wastes of money both on parents and the state. I dont see the point of them but im open to suggestion maybe theres something I dont see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Private schools are massive wastes of money both on parents and the state. I dont see the point of them but im open to suggestion maybe theres something I dont see

Just look at the CAO statistics. A much higher percent of people who to go private schools end up going to college. There are obviously exceptions to this (Colaiste Eoin and Colaiste Iosagán in Dublin)

How are they a waste of money on the state???

Correlation is not the same as causation though. Perhaps the kind of parents who send their kids to private school encourage / expect / force their kids to study and go to college? Perhaps those same kids would have done just as well at a public school?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

And if you can afford to send your child to private school, better chance you have of affording to send them to college.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement