Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

fair enough. just saying. glad you got the boat! :P
    its pisses me off to no end!

there are many females posting here. just because they don't make themselves known don't think its all a lads game.
    i'm just annoyed. best thing i can do is lay my grumpy head down - thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

there are many females posting here. just because they don't make themselves known don't think its all a lads game.
    Dont you realise at this stage that most people think there are only male POs it never strikes the majority of people that there are women in the job too :rolleyes::rolleyes: am guessing the poor sheild only referred to you by name because you were the only person on this forum that he knew was female and didnt want to insult you by calling you a lad . Yes miss grumpy go lay your head down and have a sleep:D:D:D:D a joke by the way ;);)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

You get one more non-transferrable shot at me OR public rant over this, which expires in 7 days and can't contain any swear words - ONLY because you're bitter_lemon. Nothing to do with male or female. Based entirely on you being bitter, and letting the world know it.

Shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

shield i was very grumpy last night. i tend to rant sometimes. we all know where we stand - lets swiftly move on. peace!

@cordub. i know. i get it. i was well too grumpy.

so ahem any interviews going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

last minute checks for supplementary applications done and sent off ....stomach in knots now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 somehope11

cavan4sam wrote: »
    last minute checks for supplementary applications done and sent off ....stomach in knots now
    Best of luck buddy,and to everybody else whos going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 brigal

Anybody get exact date yet?
    Their cutting it a bit tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

brigal wrote: »

Exact dates and notice are really a precious rarity in at the recruitment stage. Everything is vague and jargon is king. I applied in 2006 and heard nothing back for a very long time. It seemed like forever I was waiting. Then the interview came and, again, waiting forever it seemed. It's a slow process.

On the other hand, when I actually got the call confirming I had the job, it was quite the opposite. They called me on a Friday at lunchtime asking if I could start in Portlaoise the following Monday, i.e. 3days time! I had to give my employer very short notice. Fortunately, they were supportive of me as I'd told them I was looking in this direction.

Omackeral wrote: »

Exact dates and notice are really a precious rarity in at the recruitment stage. Everything is vague and jargon is king. I applied in 2006 and heard nothing back for a very long time. It seemed like forever I was waiting. Then the interview came and, again, waiting forever it seemed. It's a slow process.

On the other hand, when I actually got the call confirming I had the job, it was quite the opposite. They called me on a Friday at lunchtime asking if I could start in Portlaoise the following Monday, i.e. 3days time! I had to give my employer very short notice. Fortunately, they were supportive of me as I'd told them I was looking in this direction.

I've sent in supplementary form, not being from close to Dublin, I need to book hotel and time off work, interviews are starting Monday, I like to be organised.

Do you enjoy the job?

I've sent in supplementary form, not being from close to Dublin, I need to book hotel and time off work, interviews are starting Monday, I like to be organised.

Do you enjoy the job?

That organisation is going to go a long way in helping you, believe me. Obviously you don't need me to tell you to dress smartly for the interview but I swear to god brigal, there was a chap in a Barcelona Football tracksuit doing an interview when I had mine, if you can believe that.

I can honestly say I love my job. I'm in over 3 years now and feel I've found my career for life. Originally I had my heart set on becoming a Garda but I wouldnt change over for anything. You've probably seen people on here moaning about conditions and squabbles with management etc but there's a real camarderie in the job that I bet you would be hard pressed to find elsewhere.

As regards to incidents and riots etc, of course they're a possibility but they are by no means the norm. Fact is, these are the things that sell the papers, sensationalism and what have you!

Are you aware of what training etc. entails? Do you realise that most, if not all RPO's (recruit prison officers) start their tenure in Dublin? If you've any other questions that abide by the charter, I'd be happy to try help.

• Advertisement

there was a chap in a Barcelona Football tracksuit doing an interview when I had mine, if you can believe that.

Originally I had my heart set on becoming a Garda but I wouldnt change over for anything.

Are you aware of what training etc. entails? Do you realise that most, if not all RPO's (recruit prison officers) start their tenure in Dublin? If you've any other questions that abide by the charter, I'd be happy to try help.

Obviously a failed infiltration

My heart was set on the Gardai also, failed interview, they didn't like my Munster Tracksuit :-)

I genuinely have no idea what training entails, as for having to do time in Dublin is not a problem, I'm fortunate enough to be in a position that my partner is prepared to move as both of us have no ties to home other than family, in today's terms Dublin is only up the road

I genuinely have no idea what training entails, as for having to do time in Dublin is not a problem, I'm fortunate enough to be in a position that my partner is prepared to move as both of us have no ties to home other than family, in today's terms Dublin is only up the road

Training is 9 weeks in the IPS Training and Development Centre at Beladd House, Portlaoise. Its Monday to Friday and the hours are generally 8-5. Accommodation and meals are provided. You can go home on weekends. People from the locality would usually just commute from home obviously if they don't require accommodation.

The brunt of training is class-room based. All incoming RPO's are required to undertake a 2 year part-time semester based certificate run by Sligo IT (You do not need to attend in Sligo, their staff help teach the course in Beladd) called the Higher Certificate in Custodial Care, or the HCCC. This course forms part of the probation period and it is essential to pass it. The course was brought in by the IPS to give an academic edge to new recruits and to bring them in line with other Public Sector workers. Among other subjects recruits will study the likes of psychology, criminal law and Prison Rules.

Outside of the classroom,recruits will be trained in Control and Restraint (C&R) techniques and Breathing Apparatus (Basic fire training) by experienced staff and will have to demonstrate same.

Around week 5 of the 9 week period, RPO's will be designated a prison to go to for a one week period of familiarisation. This will be their first real taste of the landings.

I would like to say to any potential RPO's that the course requires a lot of writing/essays for the first two years, not unlike homework! If you keep on top of it and stick to deadlines, it IS manageable. You may hear people moaning about the HCCC course but just get through it and you'll be fine. It's so much easier to just get on with it rather than trying to fight it, in my opinion of course

Training is 9 weeks in the IPS Training and Development Centre at Beladd House, Portlaoise. Its Monday to Friday and the hours are generally 8-5. Accommodation and meals are provided. You can go home on weekends. People from the locality would usually just commute from home obviously if they don't require accommodation.

The brunt of training is class-room based. All incoming RPO's are required to undertake a 2 year part-time semester based certificate run by Sligo IT (You do not need to attend in Sligo, their staff help teach the course in Beladd) called the Higher Certificate in Custodial Care, or the HCCC. This course forms part of the probation period and it is essential to pass it. The course was brought in by the IPS to give an academic edge to new recruits and to bring them in line with other Public Sector workers. Among other subjects recruits will study the likes of psychology, criminal law and Prison Rules.

Outside of the classroom,recruits will be trained in Control and Restraint (C&R) techniques and Breathing Apparatus (Basic fire training) by experienced staff and will have to demonstrate same.

Around week 5 of the 9 week period, RPO's will be designated a prison to go to for a one week period of familiarisation. This will be their first real taste of the landings.

I would like to say to any potential RPO's that the course requires a lot of writing/essays for the first two years, not unlike homework! If you keep on top of it and stick to deadlines, it IS manageable. You may hear people moaning about the HCCC course but just get through it and you'll be fine. It's so much easier to just get on with it rather than trying to fight it, in my opinion of course

Cheers for taking the time to let me know all the details, never knew any of that, my partner is due our first in 11 weeks, how accommodating would they be in giving a day or 2 off if the next batch start within the next 2-3 months

Sorry if I'm becoming an annoyance

thanks omackerel some great advice there

Cheers for taking the time to let me know all the details, never knew any of that, my partner is due our first in 11 weeks, how accommodating would they be in giving a day or 2 off if the next batch start within the next 2-3 months

Sorry if I'm becoming an annoyance

As far as I know, you're entitled to a few days paternity leave (3 or 5, can't quite recall), so you would be granted this I'm sure. If you get called up, look to speak to the Governor down there, very helpful. Actually, a lad I trained with became a father while we were down there and he had no problem getting the time to be there.

You are not an annoyance whatsoever, that's the whole point of this thread, to help in any way possible. I'm sure you'll be passing on advice to others in the future.

Also, early congrats Daddy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

Lads , it would be very wise for any information about the training centre, regimes in training , etcetc to be PM'd to the person enquiring. The watchers would take a dim view of information being posted publicly and would only LOOOVE a chance to nail someone for it . So dont give them a chance .

As far as I know, you're entitled to a few days paternity leave (3 or 5, can't quite recall), so you would be granted this I'm sure. If you get called up, look to speak to Postman Pat as he is the most understanding postman you will find. Actually, a lad I trained with became a father while we were down there and he had no problem getting the time to be there.

You are not an annoyance whatsoever, that's the whole point of this thread, to help in any way possible. I'm sure you'll be passing on advice to others in the future.

Also, early congrats Daddy :)

Cheers again, here's hoping, i might get to thank you in person shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

abj wrote: »
    Hi All, My husband received a letter on Friday inviting him to stage 2 of the 2008 campaign. Im wondering is it at all worth it financially? He is in employment now and brings home €370 per week. I suppose I want to know if we would be any better off if he was successful and got this job. We have two kids but he has a son that we have on weekends so I alos would like a general idea of what the shifts are like or would his weekends be messed up?

Everybodies circumstances differ so it's hard to say definitively if it would be worth it. Certainly in the longer term it would most definitely be but you will most likely find it tough in the shorter term (first 3 years or so.)
    It also depends on where you live/are based as transfer waiting times vary enormously depending on where you're looking to get to. I'd say that if ye're in Dublin grab it...if you're elsewhere down the country somewhere do your homework based on your own circumstances.
    Depending on where he ends up working the time off can be quite good and can be 'managed' through swops etc. and it's pretty much every second weekend off.

Personally...Despite some hard times, I'd do it all again tomorrow..

480905 wrote: »
    Lads , it would be very wise for any information about the training centre, regimes in training , etcetc to be PM'd to the person enquiring. The watchers would take a dim view of information being posted publicly and would only LOOOVE a chance to nail someone for it . So dont give them a chance .

I'd imagine this was possibly directed at my post.

To be honest, there's not much point to this thread if you can't lend a helpful hint or two, without violating the charter obviously. I didn't give away any trade secrets or absolute specifics. I said how long training is, that there's an academic side to it and generally that you'll be stationed in Dublin. A lot of potential recruits don't know this. I know I didn't.

I'm from Dublin so it all rather suits me but some of our fellow potential members should know that a move away from home may be on the cards for them etc.

If the Mods see fit, they can edit whatever they like, that goes without saying. I've been careful in my posting on Boards.ie and, in particular, this forum right here as I understand the sensitive nature of it.

On joining the Irish Prison Service, Recruit Prison Officers (RPOs) commence a training programme, the majority of which will be spent on work placement in prisons. A bespoke programme developed by the Irish Prison Service (IPS) in partnership with a third level institution leads to the award of a Higher Certificate in Custodial Care. The Higher Certificate in Custodial Care (HCCC) is a recognised third-level educational award at level 6 on the HETAC awards system.
    The successful completion of this two year programme is a requirement for all RPOs in order to become an established prison officer.
    Among the four semesters are modules in ethics, health and society, criminology, social psychology, human rights law and custodial care and policy.
    Should an officer fail any element of the training, one further opportunity to pass will be afforded. Should this attempt be unsuccessful, the officer’s employment as a recruit prison officer will be terminated.

Just in relation to your above post. You posted this link yourself. I don't want to have petty squabbles with you but this a case of pot calling the kettle black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

Im sure the governor wont mind his name being used on a public forum:rolleyes:

Im sure the governor wont mind his name being used on a public forum:rolleyes:

You're correct. I've edited my post accordingly. Have PM'd brigal also to request he does the same. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Said Governors name is already over the internet. Picture too.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

All the above info is freely available on various websites. I found it easily enough before going to Beladd.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

In case you didn't notice, my post was vague (not clearly or explicitly stated),to say the least.
    Do you know something....What the f**k do I know?? I only offered a piece of advice to stop posting specifics of training etc here on this forum, PM it I said, be discreet. But No, you know loads. You post something the watchers don't like and they will crucify you..... but what the **** do I know?

You have lads like DingDong backing you up so you're in good company....

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

In case you didn't notice, my post was vague (not clearly or explicitly stated),to say the least.
    Do you know something....What the f**k do I know?? I only offered a piece of advice to stop posting specifics of training etc here on this forum, PM it I said, be discreet. But No, you know loads. You post something the watchers don't like and they will crucify you..... but what the **** do I know?

You have lads like DingDong backing you up so you're in good company....

Considering most If not all of the info posted is available through official govt sites I don't see the problem.

I don't need back up on my points made here. More than capable of arguing my own points

Got my date this morning, does the fact its in 3 weeks time and the interviews are starting on the 6th potentially mean hundreds of people are being interviewed?

Got my date this morning, does the fact its in 3 weeks time and the interviews are starting on the 6th potentially mean hundreds of people are being interviewed?

yeah me too in around 3 weeks , not sure i thought they interviewd batches of 40 , i'm probably wrong but thought i heard that somewhere

cavan4sam wrote: »
    yeah me too in around 3 weeks , not sure i thought they interviewd batches of 40 , i'm probably wrong but thought i heard that somewhere

Maybe they do a day or 2 a week, can't imagine they would do over 15 days of interviews

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 somehope11

Maybe they do a day or 2 a week, can't imagine they would do over 15 days of interviews
    Im wondering when they got the supplementary forms back did they not get enough to make it worth their while holding the interviews.Maybe they have contacted the next batch to be interviewed and thats why its been put back three weeks.Did anybody get called in the 600s?.

Advertisement