Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

horse7 wrote: »
    very good,so anyone got some better intel.

Like what? You've already stated that you know it was a helicopter and Gaspode told you who it was. What more do you need to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

I heard that they were checking all the houses that hadn't paid the new property tax..bit like the TV licence inspector...so if it was nearby your house then you best pay up as no doubt you are on the list !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Consider you get the excuse they have no cars, when you ring them, having a helicopter is a bit pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The presence of a Garda chopper in your locality is never a good sign.:(

I actually find it a little re-assuring to know that they've spotted the bad guys and are tracking them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

The main thing is to keep these thief's out make it as difficult as possible, Best deterrent is a dog but if not your thing I would strongly recommend an alarm system. Don't be fooled by having double glazed windows or doors with all these locks they tell you they have yes they are great for heating and that but are very easy to open or even to break the glass is very easy these people usually find all the tools they need in your back garden. So basically try and keep all tools/gardening equipment locked up. I wont mention how you can actually open these windows/doors or how easy the glass can be broken. Hopefully everybody will notice with times getting harder these problems will only get worse so make it difficult for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

There used to be a time when you could listen in on scanners to know what's going on....so unless your on FB locally you'll never know why they are out...sometimes when there is a shooting etc it's all over FB etc.

most likely chasing a car or part of a seizure operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Sometimes it's not they are persuing anyone, or at least not for a good reason.
    Sometimes they are just out and training or just hanging around.

Last year it was buzzing around my estate at 3am on a mid week night.
    One of my friends was over and we'd spent the night watching movies and having a natter cos we didn't have early starts the next day. When they left the copper chopper which had swept over the road decided to follow my friend from where I live until they turned on to the Malihide road. Wasting who only knows what on aviation fuel and freaking my friend out to the point they made a complaint about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Sharrow wrote: »
    Sometimes it's not they are persuing anyone, or at least not for a good reason.
    Sometimes they are just out and training or just hanging around.

Last year it was buzzing around my estate at 3am on a mid week night.
    One of my friends was over and we'd spent the night watching movies and having a natter cos we didn't have early starts the next day. When they left the copper chopper which had swept over the road decided to follow my friend from where I live until they turned on to the Malihide road. Wasting who only knows what on aviation fuel and freaking my friend out to the point they made a complaint about it.

Could well be training?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Hopefully that training includes not dazzling a driver by bouncing the under slung light off their mirror which can cause an accident. :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Sharrow wrote: »
    Hopefully that training includes not dazzling a driver by bouncing the under slung light off their mirror which can cause an accident. :mad:

:confused: How can a light from above be reflected from a rear view or side view mirror unless the mirrors are pointing upwards?

• Advertisement

Gaspode wrote: »
    :confused: How can a light from above be reflected from a rear view or side view mirror unless the mirrors are pointing upwards?

You're not trying hard enough...

http://cf2.imgobject.com/t/p/original/yeIM55PfXzRgpTbHjwvLltqAFBZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I wonder what would happen if you were to shine a high powered spotlight out at them in the copter? You could say you thought it was a stolen chopper or something and had no idea it was a police chopper. te he he he he

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Sorry, I was just playing with my new remote controlled helicopter that I got for Christmas.

The gardai in Dublin 15 are rubbish to be honest. My family are all gardai, my friends are gardai. I moved out there a year ago. Called the gardai 3 times and they didnt do anything. It wasnt until i told them who i was they actually decided to act.

I've had the same experience, multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Luttrell1975

Lesson from life:

Do not listen to urban myths about bands of gypsies doing all this. We had a problem in Clonsilla that was blamed on Romas who passed through the area. I guess everyone noticed them passing through the area because they stand out. When I say passing through I mean maybe once (think they went to see a rental house and travelled here by bus) and vever seen again. Anyway.... Everything that happened for the next year was the fault of these gypsies. There was some vandalism near the village and a bunch of sat navs stolen out of cars around here and one taxi man had his float taken. Naturally it was the fault of the gypsies and you couldnt tell anyone differently, including the wife of the Guard who lives at the front. Turned out it was HER son and he wanted the sat navs to sell to buy fuel for his boy racer waggon. Somehow we are all supposed to understand....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

The gardai in Dublin 15 are rubbish to be honest. My family are all gardai, my friends are gardai. I moved out there a year ago. Called the gardai 3 times and they didnt do anything. It wasnt until i told them who i was they actually decided to act.

Really? I had to ring them recently and they were up in about 5 minutes. Amazing that they will send them quicker if you are related to one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Never said its all these roma <snip> thats doing it but I did say be very careful of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

The main thing is to keep these thief's out make it as difficult as possible, Best deterrent is a dog but if not your thing I would strongly recommend an alarm system. Don't be fooled by having double glazed windows or doors with all these locks they tell you they have yes they are great for heating and that but are very easy to open or even to break the glass is very easy these people usually find all the tools they need in your back garden. So basically try and keep all tools/gardening equipment locked up. I wont mention how you can actually open these windows/doors or how easy the glass can be broken. Hopefully everybody will notice with times getting harder these problems will only get worse so make it difficult for them.

A neighbour came home after a long weekend a few years ago and was unloading the car chatting away to me, went to the front door but couldn't get in "something wrong with the door the chain is on" I went around the back, kitchen window forced, garden trowel on the ground beside it.
    I went in the window, house was done not to bad, let your man in the front door and we went room to room, all clear.
    The one thing that stood out to me was the amount of steak knives the scrote had left along the way, 1 on the hall stand, bottom of stairs, top of landing dressing table in 2 bedrooms and the big carving knife was used to cut up the beds and plastic piggy banks.
    He must have done the house during the night time and wasn't sure if the house was empty so was leaving weapons along his exit in case of a fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

nudger wrote: »
    A neighbour came home after a long weekend a few years ago and was unloading the car chatting away to me, went to the front door but couldn't get in "something wrong with the door the chain is on" I went around the back, kitchen window forced, garden trowel on the ground beside it.
    I went in the window, house was done not to bad, let your man in the front door and we went room to room, all clear.
    The one thing that stood out to me was the amount of steak knives the scrote had left along the way, 1 on the hall stand, bottom of stairs, top of landing dressing table in 2 bedrooms and the big carving knife was used to cut up the beds and plastic piggy banks.
    He must have done the house during the night time and wasn't sure if the house was empty so was leaving weapons along his exit in case of a fight.

Jesus, the thoughts of waking up to that in the middle of the night...

Really? I had to ring them recently and they were up in about 5 minutes. Amazing that they will send them quicker if you are related to one.

It shouldnt happen but having a good relationship with them does help. Its the same with anything really. But a Neighbourhood watch should be set up for area's in Blacnardstown and not just Blanchardstown itself. I dont know if this is possible.

It shouldnt happen but having a good relationship with them does help. Its the same with anything really. But a Neighbourhood watch should be set up for area's in Blacnardstown and not just Blanchardstown itself. I dont know if this is possible.

The Gardai want this too. A meeting was held in December for a representative of all the Waterville clusters in the Garda Station with a view to setting up NW in this area. Apparently they need 60% takeup in each cluster.

Are there Residents Associations that meet with AGS on a regular basis, Tyrrellstown, Corduff, Carpenterstown, Ongar, etc, anyone know.

The meeting reports make interesting reading, but it is dissapointing to see only 20-30 attending.
    Is there a group for the Carpenterstown, Laurel Lodge area does anybody know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

Two houses in Coolmine Park broken into and ransacked on Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I had my car stolen from my driveway last night in Mount Symon, Clonsilla. Gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

mattb74 wrote: »
    I had my car stolen from my driveway last night in Mount Symon, Clonsilla. Gutted.

Mate of mine had his car stolen in Mount Symon about two years ago. They fished his keys via the letterbox in the early hours of the morning.

Did they get your keys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Two houses in Coolmine Park broken into and ransacked on Saturday night.

Were the owners home at the time? Any neighbours see anything? Were the houses alarmed?

Advertisement