Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Literally just now out alarm went off, we were all upstairs no where near the windows so there is so way it was us. The alarm log said upper front window. It may have been a cat (we don't have any animals and neither do our neighbors to the left and the right of our house) and I may just be paranoid but it's still suspicious. Just thought I'd tell you all.

*edit
    My alarm went off at ten past 5 in the morning today, the log said back doors.

Time to get an animal, a big one, with lots of teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Time to get an animal, a big one, with lots of teeth.
    But the burglars are the animals...though many don't have the teeth anymore!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

nudger wrote: »
    I know it sounds a bit cold but all you can do is make your place look harder to rob than next door.
    Have an Alarm, get a dog, put up a security light back and front, If you have a side entrance get a high gate and lock it.
    If like most houses you have Upvc doors and windows, are they glazed from the inside or outside, if the latter beads of silicone on all the panes.
    Simple things like closing your front gate, leaving a light on over night, if you have a lane way at the back, be the house with the high wall, glass it and feck what people tell you.
    Most break in's have a certain amount of recon, times for bringing kids to school, off to work, direction you go in, if possible change it from day to day.
    We got done, they knew our movements, no one home, no alarm, not anymore.

One of the neighbours told me the other day that they had spotted that people that were delivering leaflets were nosying around the houses across from him. When he shouted at them they legged it!

This ties in with someone who mentioned on the phoneshow a few weeks back that they had security cameras and looking back at the video footage spotted leaflet deliverers looking around the premises while they were out.

I hope noone is stupid enough to be leaving keys in plants under mats etc if they do its their own fault for making it so easy for these people

On a different note, has anyone encountered roma gypsies come to their house looking for money. This has been mentioned on the radio a couple of times but ive never experienced it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Yes the Roma do go around but they seem to have a system now only going to doors that they must have been given something before.

An old Neighbour of mine has the same one come to his door every week or two, he just can't say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

These are very dangerous individuals and the Irish need 2 cop on to the fact that they are they are born and brought up to steal and get money any way possible. I deal with these scum bags daily ok so no smart come backs thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Also if they see an opportunity to get into your home they will also any other criminal snoopin around

Let's not turn this into a Roma bash, But young Lady about 18 calls to my door clearly Roma and hands me a scribbled note. I had seen these before from the beggars in town so handed it back saying "not interested" quickly she jumps forward shoving it in my face and foot and most of leg comes in the doorway, at this point its "FUKC OFF AND GET THE F..........". Young lady leaves.

2 days later different house about 2 miles away I open the door to same lady Loud " I TOLD YOU TO F OFF" lady leaves looking very confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Personally I've stopped opening the door to people I don't know. They are just trying to sell or beg something.

If someone is at your door and they won't leave, simply say you are going to ring the gardaí and have the charged with trespassing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

BostonB wrote: »
    Personally I've stopped opening the door to people I don't know. They are just trying to sell or beg something.

I'm the same. I'm not from the area so anyone who visits me has usually let me know so I don't get many 'surprise' visits. When the door rings it's usually a guy from UPC/Sky/Airtricity or kids doing knick-knacks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Next door neighbour just got broken into this evening between 7-8pm, they broke his back kitchen window in, even tho he has double glazing, there was a strange van seen on the road too at he time, garda called etc. Scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

zef wrote: »
    Next door neighbour just got broken into this evening between 7-8pm, they broke his back kitchen window in, even tho he has double glazing, there was a strange van seen on the road too at he time, garda called etc. Scumbags.

Clearly getting worse around.

Where did this happen ?

Mulhuddart Wood. Neighbour had been out for 2 hours & came back to a burgled house.
    I live on a pretty quiet cul de sac- and i am baffled that we did not hear anything, as had no music/ tv on at the time.
    He had a loan on my spare laptop too :( hopefully his insurance will cover it, but if not i am just glad it was not us tbh. Its def. gettin worse allright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

zef wrote: »
    Mulhuddart Wood. Neighbour had been out for 2 hours & came back to a burgled house.
    I live on a pretty quiet cul de sac- and i am baffled that we did not hear anything, as had no music/ tv on at the time.
    He had a loan on my spare laptop too :( hopefully his insurance will cover it, but if not i am just glad it was not us tbh. Its def. gettin worse allright.

Seems to be happening more and more at that time in the evening.

Main thing is nobody was hurt !

Hopefully the Gardai catch these scumbags someday soon.

Alaska1 wrote: »
    Seems to be happening more and more at that time in the evening.

Main thing is nobody was hurt !

Hopefully the Gardai catch these scumbags someday soon.
    <SNIP> It really is a horrible feeling.

Even if they do get caught by the Gardaí, they get a slap on the wrist and a couple of days in prison...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

<SNIP>
    It really is a horrible feeling.

Even if they do get caught by the Gardaí, they get a slap on the wrist and a couple of days in prison...

The recent spate of problems is really making me lose faith in the justice system, there needs to be a serious change or things will start to get out of hand. The word vigilante springs to mind, shame that things have gotten so bad that it needs to be even mentioned, but my area in particular has gotten ridiculous. The majority of people in the area have a fair idea of the reason for the problem, but nothing is being done. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Something has to be done...not sure whether the politicians can do anything..we are in one of the biggest and busiest Garda districts in the country, they are stretched at the best of times. Neighbourhood Watch isn't much of a deterrent even when it works properly, it still relies on the Gardai to get out rapidly. It's so frustrating that homes are being violated like this.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Something has to be done...not sure whether the politicians can do anything..we are in one of the biggest and busiest Garda districts in the country, they are stretched at the best of times. Neighbourhood Watch isn't much of a deterrent even when it works properly, it still relies on the Gardai to get out rapidly. It's so frustrating that homes are being violated like this.
    I don't blame the Gardaí, I blame the justice system itself. Even if the Gardaí catch them red-handed, then do all the paper work etc, then go to court and the judge doesn't care, and gives them a light sentence and feels "sorry" for them because the had a tough childhood or some crap like that.

I bet the neighbourhood watch would work if a few of the scumbags were made an example of, if you catch my drift...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Given that the original tweet I quoted came from Sinn Fein...I wonder would they be the right organisation to lead the fight back ;)

athtrasna wrote: »
    Given that the original tweet I quoted came from Sinn Fein...I wonder would they be the right organisation to lead the fight back ;)

Fight fire with fire, etc?

No thanks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,012 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Boards.ie does not condone the use of violence or taking the law into your own hands. No more comments suggesting this please

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    The recent spate of problems is really making me lose faith in the justice system, there needs to be a serious change or things will start to get out of hand. The word vigilante springs to mind, shame that things have gotten so bad that it needs to be even mentioned, but my area in particular has gotten ridiculous. The majority of people in the area have a fair idea of the reason for the problem, but nothing is being done. :mad:

Our reason used to have his even worse friends who wouldn't have been known in the area do the dirty work, he supplied the info and was look out, then joined up with another like minded person from the area and caused havoc for a couple of years.
    AGS knew all about it and would have spoken to them many times but had to catch them in the act, eventually did and they done their time, crime free zone for a long time.

Just in next door & garda called to do fingerprints.
    2 houses on the Court (mulhuddart wood) were broken into 2 weeks ago.
    The fingerprint Gardai was saying that a lot is Roma gypsies. Recently the Garda in blanch had to attend to a woman who put her kid into those clothes bank things, he was handing her out the bags and got caught inside- so she had to ring the Garda!

There is a Silver van involved anyway, in the robbery last night. And watch out for ppl calling - last week some bogey called selling 'wood & briquettes' but he was scoping out the houses.

Personally i am shocked that they would put in double glazing to get into my neighbours- he is not a rich person, unemployed atm. They took a safe, my old laptop, went thru his diabetes meds , did not take a mobile phone that was on the table (not an expensive one) but they did a fair bit of damage to his window, conservatory door.
    Maybe time to bring back the 'neighbourhood watch' scheme?

Personally i am shocked that they would put in double glazing to get into my neighbours-

Not usual but did he leave the keys in the back door, if so then they knew they would have an easy exit if disturbed.
    Take the keys out and put them somewhere safe, they hate to have to go through broken glass.
    After our break in I put in glass with the very thin S/S wire in the back of the house, nothing like the thick old stuff and makes it harder to break and clear.

Not sure how they exited tbh. You are right about keys tho, why make it easy for them..
    getting locks for the back door bolts today too.
    If my son and I are both out the same time now i leave the tv on low, as we seem to get at least 1 suspicious caller ('scoper') a week now. Not to mention chuggers (help the dogs!) & 'charidee robbers collectors'

Sorry to read you had a break in. Its a very upsetting thing, happenned to me at 21y.o. in a flat in p'boro, - everything- my babys chair,cot, bottle warmer , etc taken, that was 20 years ago.
    I was wondering there recently was i gettin a bit 'ocd' with checking & rechecking security before leaving the house- now i realise 'Paranoia is simply having all the facts' - William Burroughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭horse7

does anyone know what the racket was at 1am -1.30 am while we were all trying to sleep,i know it was a chopper hoovering at blanch/m50.it seemed to go on forever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,012 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Just the guards doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭horse7

very good,so anyone got some better intel.

horse7 wrote: »
    does anyone know what the racket was at 1am -1.30 am while we were all trying to sleep,i know it was a chopper hoovering at blanch/m50.it seemed to go on forever.

They have helicopters that hoover the M50 now? No wonder its so clean.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes, I heard the Garda helicopter too just as I was trying to get to sleep last night. The chopper has been around D15 quite a few times recently and this must be because of stolen cars/criminals on the run in the area.

The presence of a Garda chopper in your locality is never a good sign.:(

Advertisement